• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

PFD

An overlooked detail is the smaller battery on the Air compared to the iPad 4 (32.4whr down from 42.5whr) which means it will be much faster to charge.

$200

Banned
4lNb98Q.jpg

No, but the battery did grow slightly vs. iPad mini 1. I'm sure the battery life will be fine.

The iPad 1 Mini is irrelevant. We're comparing the Air to the Mini 2 since they have the same exact hardware except in two areas. Smaller screen and smaller battery. To get the same battery life, the only way it works is if the screen size difference is equal to the difference in battery size in order to get the same battery life. The only other possibilities is it doesn't get the same battery life or there are other things that no longer make it equal to the Air that will help with the battery life.

LCfiner

Well, some people including myself said there was always a possibility of the Mini 2 having a lower clocked A7 to help get by with a smaller battery.

Apple has been very good with estimated battery life values for iPads so I don’t doubt they will all get 10 hours browsing on wifi. I suspect a combination of a smaller overall backlight and modest downclock on the A7 will help the mini 2 match the battery life of the Air.

edit: and the above image reminded me that I am so glad Apple is finally ditching those butter knife edges on the main ipad. I never liked them all that much and the mini/Air bezel design is more comfy for the palms

the battery size to screen area comparison is flawed.

the power usage on the panel isn't a linear function, it doesn't just scale up perfectly. it depends on multiple factors including backlight brightness.

the same hardware does not have to have the same power usage. they could be using more aggressive cpu and gpu stepping or just a lower max frequency.

$479 plus they are taking trade ins.

I wonder what sort of selection they'll have. A white/silver 64GB wifi Air at $679 would be pretty sweet but who knows what sort of models my local Walmart will have. Still might just order through Apple online since there isn't an Apple store in Cola, SC.

Ugh...why didn't Apple just allow preorders.

I wonder what sort of selection they'll have. A white/silver 64GB wifi Air at $679 would be pretty sweet but who knows what sort of models my local Walmart will have. Still might just order through Apple online since there isn't an Apple store in Cola, SC.

Ugh...why didn't Apple just allow preorders.

My local Verizon store manager says he hopes to get LTE models in next Friday, hoping to snag 32GB black (even though white looks nicer), hopefully he gets some

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
edit: and the above image reminded me that I am so glad Apple is finally ditching those butter knife edges on the main ipad. I never liked them all that much and the mini/Air bezel design is more comfy for the palms

I thought I was going crazy cause I kept saying how uncomfortable my iPad 2 was to hold yet no reviewer ever mentioned it. That thing dug into my palms!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
You know what bothers me with the iPad Air and the iPad Mini 2? The fact that the Wifi models STILL don't have basic GPS functionality. I mean, you can save a teeny 25 square mile block in google maps, having basic GPS functionality when walking around downtown LA or Anaheim (for Lunch/Dinner for conventions) would be a godsend.

Aiii

So not worth it
You know what bothers me with the iPad Air and the iPad Mini 2? The fact that the Wifi models STILL don't have basic GPS functionality. I mean, you can save a teeny 25 square mile block in google maps, having basic GPS functionality when walking around downtown LA or Anaheim (for Lunch/Dinner for conventions) would be a godsend.

Not saying you don't have a point, as the iPad is great as a GPS device in your car, but if you're walking around isn't it easier to use your phone for navigation instead of walking around with your bulky tablet? Seems to me that even if the iPad had GPS I wouldn't use it for navigation while walking.

M7 chip should help with that

M7 knows when you’re walking, running, or even driving. For example, Maps switches from driving to walking turn-by-turn navigation if, say, you park and continue on foot. Since M7 can tell when you’re in a moving vehicle, iPhone 5s won’t ask you to join Wi-Fi networks you pass by. And if your phone hasn’t moved for a while, like when you’re asleep, M7 reduces network pinging to spare your battery.

Future

The GPS kinda sucks in ios without data though. I tried enabling GPS only with a saved map on my phone while overseas with roaming disabled and it was pretty crappy. Finally just enabled roaming, and then it worked right away

Sickbean

I've never bought an apple product at launch before, but I'm looking to get the Air on 1st November.

Are there any UK stores that are likely to be selling them? Or am I going to have to queue up at the Apple store??

Ovek

7Member7
I've never bought an apple product at launch before, but I'm looking to get the Air on 1st November.

Are there any UK stores that are likely to be selling them? Or am I going to have to queue up at the Apple store??

Preorder one (when preorders start) on the Apple website. ;)

EDIT: Ewww Apple aren't taking preorders on there website, why the fuck not?!?! Bizarre...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Preorder one (when preorders start) on the Apple website. ;)

can you preorder online for store pickup?

Will preorders even start before November 1st?

I'm thinking to pick one up in Bristol - but also thinking the Cribbs Causeway store might be quieter than the one in the town centre?

Sickbean

Are there likely to be big ass queues like you see on BBC news then? Or is that limited to London stores? I've got a choice of either Manchester or The Trafford Centre.

The iPad 1 Mini is irrelevant. We're comparing the Air to the Mini 2 since they have the same exact hardware except in two areas. Smaller screen and smaller battery. To get the same battery life, the only way it works is if the screen size difference is equal to the difference in battery size in order to get the same battery life. The only other possibilities is it doesn't get the same battery life or there are other things that no longer make it equal to the Air that will help with the battery life.

Isn't the new mini and Air supposed to be rocking a IGZO display with one LED light bar (vs. 2 for the iPad 3 and 4)? How else would they be able to reduce the battery size for the Air vs. iPad 4? There's more to it that just a more efficient A7.

Ovek

7Member7
Are there likely to be big ass queues like you see on BBC news then? Or is that limited to London stores? I've got a choice of either Manchester or The Trafford Centre.

Manchester and the Trafford Centre can get pretty rammed on launch days... but if you do go and queue at least the staff will cheer and high five you as your putting your credit card pin in.

Sickbean

Manchester and the Trafford Centre can get pretty rammed on launch days... but if you do go and queue at least the staff will cheer and high five you as your putting your credit card pin in.

Is there any way to opt out of this in advance?

dorkimoe

so now...we have to find out if walmart will be selling at midnight or 5pm like the previous years

i plan on ordering online and then ill swing by the store and see if i can get one and then cancel my order if i have to

I'd like to pop along to the Trafford Centre on the Saturday, which is the day after it is released. I have no concept of how much stock they'll have though.

Do you think I'll be able to just walk in and buy one?

I'd like to pop along to the Trafford Centre on the Saturday, which is the day after it is released. I have no concept of how much stock they'll have though.

Do you think I'll be able to just walk in and buy one?
I reckon you might be able to walk in and buy the only model they have left, which will be the 128GB in the colour you didn't want.

PFD

The GPS kinda sucks in ios without data though. I tried enabling GPS only with a saved map on my phone while overseas with roaming disabled and it was pretty crappy. Finally just enabled roaming, and then it worked right away

I constantly use GPS with no data on my iPhone. It works really well with offline google maps and/or Tom Tom

Giolon

You walk around LA w/ your tablet out? You're braver than I thought. </Leia> (You also have a point)

Mr Swine

Banned
Well it was hard choosing what to pre order. Buy a Mini 2 with worse performance at a cheaper price or buy the more expensive Air with better specs. The Air won it out this time

can you preorder online for store pickup?

Will preorders even start before November 1st?

I'm thinking to pick one up in Bristol - but also thinking the Cribbs Causeway store might be quieter than the one in the town centre?

Midnight PST for online, 8am in stores IIRC (or whatever time your Apple Store is opening that morning).

I swore I heard you might be able to do pre-orders for in-store but I'm 100%.

I ordered a Targus versavu case from amazon when it was $47.50, they accidentally sent me the $99 keyboard case, I contacted amazon that they sent me the wrong case and I'll send it back, just want them to send me the proper case I ordered. They told me keep the keyboard case and they overnighted the case I wanted for free.

Amazon customer service is unbeatable

Juice

The screen is most likely it, for example if I am watching twitch on my iPad 3 the battery will go down at a noticeable rate, if I stream it to an apple tv and turn the ipad screen off I can stream for 2+ hours and only use like 1 to 2% in total over what would usually be about 15 to 20%

I can believe that the mini screen being smaller really helps.

That is not a test of display's drain on battery. Unless you're mirroring, then airplay videos actually establish a direct connection from the Apple TV to the video source. The iPad is doing nothing once the video starts

Juice

I ordered a Targus versavu case from amazon when it was $47.50, they accidentally sent me the $99 keyboard case, I contacted amazon that they sent me the wrong case and I'll send it back, just want them to send me the proper case I ordered. They told me keep the keyboard case and they overnighted the case I wanted for free.

Amazon customer service is unbeatable

They have a team that built a costing calculation to figure out whether the ship return and open item sale would be more or less than writing off the loss. It's just basic math.

The net effect is that it's both better customer service and better business.

They have a team that built a costing calculation to figure out whether the ship return and open item sale would be more or less than writing off the loss. It's just basic math.

The net effect is that it's both better customer service and better business.

I agree they calculated the +/-, but just the fact I got a free $100 case then got the cheaper case I wanted originally the next day is just awesome.

Dany

Banned
should i buy the smart cover? I see logitech has some crazy keyboard, stand/cover combos. Are those worth it?

should i buy the smart cover? I see logitech has some crazy keyboard, stand/cover combos. Are those worth it?

Depends, if you take it out the house a lot like I do I recommend it. But I'm not a fan the apple Smart Cover, no back protection and just feels too flimsy if I throw it in my bag

As far as keyboard covers, I've yet encounter a keyboard cover that just felt right

That is not a test of display's drain on battery. Unless you're mirroring, then airplay videos actually establish a direct connection from the Apple TV to the video source. The iPad is doing nothing once the video starts

Really? that seems rather weird, why not just allow direct streaming and choosing on an apple tv, if I move far away from it with my iPad the video will drop, is it just checking to make sure the iOS device is checking in?

Ooh after reading up on it, you are right.

The AirPlay receiver (for example Apple TV, AirPort Express, or systems with built-in AirPlay) is being authorized to access the internet source and no streaming occurs between the iOS device and the AirPlay receiver, thus no loss of quality

That is rather cool, bit annoying that it keeps check of your iPad connection though but this also explains why you can stream a video and play a game at the same time without delays. You need the connection there so the apple tv can log you in and such from the app you are using, so it's kind of running the back end of the app on your apple tv.

Juice

Really? that seems rather weird, why not just allow direct streaming and choosing on an apple tv, if I move far away from it with my iPad the video will drop, is it just checking to make sure the iOS device is checking in?

Ooh after reading up on it, you are right.

That is rather cool, bit annoying that it keeps check of your iPad connection though, but this also explains why you can stream a video and play a game at the same time without delays.

Yeah it's a fantastic design because it just works from a users perspective and takes advantage of much greater efficiency in its implementation

Top Bottom