• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

ipad air, along with the move to 64 bit, makes me wonder if their next goal is to have an ipad that runs full OSX (maybe with a UI layer of iOS on top) and make a convertible tablet/laptop kind of thing?

MacBook Air
MacBook Pro

Ipad Air
Ipad Pro
Ipad mini

2014 . Believe

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
ipad air, along with the move to 64 bit, makes me wonder if their next goal is to have an ipad that runs full OSX (maybe with a UI layer of iOS on top) and make a convertible tablet/laptop kind of thing?

I sincerely doubt it. Just doesn't seem to be the direction Apple are heading in at all. They just did a major revamp of iOS but still haven't revealed any more of the machinery of the OS to the end user.

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
It just doesn't add up. They are not explicitly saying that the Mini 2 is also an iPad Air, but the specs suggest that it is. They could have changed the messaging entirely, saying there are now two iPad Airs - a 7.9" and a 9.7". But they didn't. What are they not telling us?

You have some good points, but in my opinion you are overthinking things. Apple are in my opinion trying to simplify things, not complicate. They use the same processor, the same exact resolution and same graphics chip in both their premium iPads. This also holds true for the cheaper variants (iPad 2 and mini 1) This means that they can mass produce the hardware more effectively, software developers can develop for two ipad resolutions instead of three (ipad 2/mini 1 use one resolution and iPad 3,4, Air and mini 2 use another) and there is less fragmentation overall when it comes to hardware .

More importantly it simplifies things for the customer. The only thing they really need to consider now is price vs size. Pay more to get a physically larger screen.

In the lower end you have the ipad 2 and mini 1 with about a 70 dollar difference in price and 2 inches in size, and on the higher end you have the iPad air and ipad mini 2 with a 70 dollar difference and 2 inches in size. Do you see?

EDIT: The price differences might be off here, I'm from Norway and I don't have full understanding of the US prices. But hopefully my point still stands.

I actually think this is a really smart move from Apple's part.

Tom_Cody

Tim Cook brought up this topic during the presentation yesterday and specifically rejected it.

fPV7nQ1.png

He took a jab at the competition's lack of direction and then re-emphasized that they see distinct value and separate uses for desktops, laptops, tablets, and mobile. iCloud serves as the bridge between iOS and OSX.

I don't seen them adding a surface-like device unless MS's device becomes a breakout hit, which of course isn't going to happen.

That said, who knows what they'll be doing in 4-5 years.

I love my iPhone 5S leather case and I'm definitely getting the smart case. The feel of it is great, it's thin & light, and I love that it allows me to be slightly less delicate with the device. I can set it down on any surface without worrying about scratching the device or my furniture. And it does with without cheapening the device. I looked at dozens of cases for my 5S before I decided on Apple's leather case and it ended up having by far the best combination of all the features I wanted.

I agree that the pricing is absurd but I just consider part of the cost of doing business so to speak. The device I want to own is an iPad Air with the case. I consider it one complete product. I plan to use this device up to a few hours every day for the next 2-3 years. I think the total cost is completely worth it.

leather case for iphone 5/s is great. got a black one :D

smart covers... not soo much, and most definitely not worth the price.

You have some good points, but in my opinion you are overthinking things. Apple are in my opinion trying to simplify things, not complicate. They use the same processor, the same exact resolution and same graphics chip in both their premium iPads.

More importantly it simplifies things for the customer. The only thing they really need to consider now is price vs size. Pay more to get a physically larger screen.
But this is not how it is being presented to the average customer. They've clearly separated the iPad Air as the new hotness, oh and by the way we've put a retina display in the Mini.

If they wanted to simplify things, they'd present an all-new range: iPad Air, in two sizes - 7.9" and 9.7". They would say specifically that they are the same performance. Take your pick. Easy.

But they haven't, which makes me suspicious. Either the Mini 2 is looking like better value, or it has been compromised in some way that they are not revealing.

BFIB

Going to hit up Best Buy next Friday on lunch to check out the new Air. I was planning on a Mini, but the hands on impressions w/ the Air may put me over.

Mindwipe

But they haven't, which makes me suspicious. Either the Mini 2 is looking like better value, or it has been compromised in some way that they are not revealing.

I'm not sure that it does look like better value. The iPad Air has no meaningful competition, whereas the Mini 2 has several decent competing tablets all of which are substantially cheaper.

I'm not sure that it does look like better value. The iPad Air has no meaningful competition, whereas the Mini 2 has several decent competing tablets all of which are substantially cheaper.
That raises a whole different area of discussion. If the Mini 2 has genuine competitors, and is in every way the same as an iPad Air aside from 2 inches, does that mean you can compare the Mini 2's competitors to the iPad Air as well? And if so, does that mean the Air's price point, which has remained acceptable for that size of tablet and has not been adjusted for this generation, suddenly looks way too expensive?

I get the impression that it is only the Mini that receives a great deal of criticism for its higher price. I think this is because the Nexus 7 was largely well-received, but the Nexus 10 was not. But if they're really the same now... then perhaps the Mini 2 shouldn't be criticised so much. It's back to 'Apple products have a premium, deal with it'. The Mini 2 is the cheapest iPad Air, so it's a better price for the same device...maybe.

I think the idea is that we're supposed to think that the Mini 2 is now in every way the full tablet experience, and is actually nothing like a Nexus 7 or other 7 inch tablets. Having never used a Mini or a 7 for an extended period, I'm not sure whether that is true.

ElFly

Tim Cook brought up this topic during the presentation yesterday and specifically rejected it.

He took a jab at the competition's lack of direction and then re-emphasized that they see distinct value and separate uses for desktops, laptops, tablets, and mobile. iCloud serves as the bridge between iOS and OSX.

I don't seen them adding a surface-like device unless MS's device becomes a breakout hit, which of course isn't going to happen.

That said, who knows what they'll be doing in 4-5 years.

I remind you that Steve Jobs mocked Intel CPUs until the year they made the switch.

Also Apple said that 10" was the perfect form factor for tablets and that a smaller tablet was dumb until they made their own 7" tablet.

It's PR. Don't believe it.

Tom_Cody

I remind you that Steve Jobs mocked Intel CPUs until the year they made the switch.

Also Apple said that 10" was the perfect form factor for tablets and that a smaller tablet was dumb until they made their own 7" tablet.

Well, yeah. That's why I included the caveat of "but who knows what they'll be doing in 4-5 years."

I think we can at least take his words as an indication that they aren't going to chance directions in the next 2-3 years.

LCfiner

I think the market reaction to the Surface RT and Surface Pro tablets is telling. Apple may expand iOS slowly to allow for more desktop class apps - not mouse driven apps, but just more complex finger driven apps - but I think they feel vindicated in their position that merging mouse and finger UIs into one device isn't the way to make a great device.

I also don't see them making a play for artists with pressure sensitive stylus support. Their goal is a bit more mass market.

Tom_Cody

maybe not anymore when ios7 is all about the whites. pretty much every ios7 promo shots been on a white iphone or ipad.
To me it's all about the black bezel. I don't want to have a visible white halo around whatever I'm looking at. Yes, fingerprints are worse on black, but I never like having white frames around my screens.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
To me it's all about the black bezel. I don't want to have a visible white halo around whatever I'm looking at. Yes, fingerprints are worse on black, but I never like having white frames around my screens.

same usually (black bezels great for video), but the silver chamfer, and the silver back makes the white one my preference I think. Plus the black having the grey back isn't as nice.

If they'd kept black with a silver back I might have gone with that.

entremet

I don't get the iPad Air love. I think the Mini is the perfect size for tablets and now with retina. Should be a no brainer.

I don't get the iPad Air love. I think the Mini is the perfect size for tablets and now with retina. Should be a no brainer.
I've always thought the screen was the right size on the full-size iPad, but the weight was too much. Now that the weight is down, it should be a no brainer. But the new Mini has become more powerful than you could possibly imagine expected, and is more affordable, so I'm torn.
I gotta ask, how does the weight/thinness from the air compare to the iPad 2?
iPad 2: 601g, 8.6mm
iPad Air: 469g, 7.5mm

CrankyJay

Banned
I've always thought the screen was the right size on the full-size iPad, but the weight was too much. Now that the weight is down, it should be a no brainer. But the new Mini has become more powerful than you could possibly imagine expected, and is more affordable, so I'm torn.

iPad 2: 601g, 8.6mm
iPad Air: 469g, 7.5mm

goddamn...that's pretty significant

Traditional sized iPad with the weight close to an iPad mini and just as thin? Sign me up. Plus if you want to use a tablet for more productivity you now have a very compelling option in the Air. For what I do the Mini (while a great reading and gaming device) it didn't hold up well for me on the productivity side of things.

That said, we still don't know if the Air has more RAM than the Mini or any other distinction. We'll know next week, I guess.

TxdoHawk

I gotta ask, how does the weight/thinness from the air compare to the iPad 2?

According to Apple, an iPad 2 is 1.33 pounds and the Air is 1 (assuming Wifi option without mobile modem) So yeah, lighter than the 2 even. I am super happy about this. Loved my Mini, but the extra screen estate is definitely occasionally missed.

BFIB

I just want a concrete date on the Mini.

And seeing the gamecock's avy, and the Jobs pic, its like they are pointing right at each other.

yeah with the air weighing pretty much what my mini weight with a case on...

i'm still surprised my mini is quite usable still even past announcement ;)

not great for text reading, but useable. could definitely use a ram bump.

I have an iPad 3 right now and I was all set to jump on a Mini with Retina before that Apple conference, but now I'm trying to decide if I should just buy an Air since it's not that much heavier or cumbersome than the new Mini is. The biggest thing I'm not sure of is if I'd miss the extra screen size of the full size iPad vs a Mini.

LeleSocho

Banned

Funny because i think exactly the opposite, the only reason i would pick a Mini is only because is more portable but now that the thing weights nothing the Mini almost lost all it advantages.

PFD

Who in their right mind would get an iPad 2 for $400 when they can get a retina mini that is three generations ahead for the same price?

Who in their right mind would get an iPad 2 for $400 when they can get a retina mini that is three generations ahead for the same price?
I assume it's a combination of getting rid of all their old parts, selling it for hardware compatibility for business or something in case they have add-ons for it, and making easy $$$.

TxdoHawk

Anyone know how fast Amazon typically gets Apple hardware? I have some gift credit I want to spend, wondering if I'll be able to pop online 11/1 and order one.

Aurongel

I assume it's a combination of getting rid of all their old parts, selling it for hardware compatibility for business or something in case they have add-ons for it, and making easy $$$.
That explains Apple's reason for selling it but what incentive does the consumer have? The iPad 2 mention during their conference is the most baffling thing for me.

Top Bottom