• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

Ovid

Isn't ram more to do with how many apps and pages on the internet browser you can have open at the same time? I don't have an iOS device (mum has a iPhone 5 and I have a GS4) so I don't know how iOS handles that sort of thing.
Yes, along with constant crashing (if you have less RAM) and page refreshing.

I have iPad 1 btw.

TxdoHawk

Ugh, so I have my Wifi-only iPad in my office with me. I wanted to wipe it to send to Gazelle today, but I don't have WiFi access. Is there a way to wipe the device with it having no online access?

I'd assume the only other way to do this is the old way, with a cable and iTunes. Maybe go hit up a Starbucks or something with free wifi on your break?

BFIB

I'm planning on using my iPad mostly for games, comics, magazine reading and web browsing. Won't have music on the device since I have that on my phone.

Think 16GB will be enough? I know games can get rather large, but you can now install and uninstall without needing to connect to your PC now correct? Been a while since I've been on iOS.

You can do a complete erase in the general settings.

However to remove it from your account, you'll have to login to itunes or Apple.

Also, I have a iPhone 5 and the last iOS update has sped the system up.

I'd assume the only other way to do this is the old way, with a cable and iTunes. Maybe go hit up a Starbucks or something with free wifi on your break?

Thanks. Yeah that's probably what I'm gonna do. It's annoying, but I can totally see the security reason for Apple making it so difficult to wipe it without any sort of authentication.

I'm planning on using my iPad mostly for games, comics, magazine reading and web browsing. Won't have music on the device since I have that on my phone.

Think 16GB will be enough? I know games can get rather large, but you can now install and uninstall without needing to connect to your PC now correct? Been a while since I've been on iOS.

No. I have a 16GB 4th Gen with no music and all the same stuff except no comics, and it is filled up. 32GB gives you some breathing room.

Yes. iOS is 'computer free' since version 5.

solarus

Hmm sites are reporting 1gb confirmed for both the new mini and air. I guess i'm fine with that. I predict that next year the models will have 2gb and they will unveil a larger sized ipad pro with possibly 4gb ram and a keyboard cover, (which is rumored) aiming it as a laptop replacement, just my hunch. Ios is pretty amazing with ram usage though so I'm not worried.
179.jpg

32GB seems to be the sweet spot, at least for me. I don't use my iPad outside the house so I just stream my music from my iMac's library when I want to listen to stuff.

BFIB

Yes. iOS is 'computer free' since version 5.

No. I have a 16GB 4th Gen with no music and all the same stuff except no comics, and it is filled up. 32GB gives you some breathing room.

Thanks for the quick responses. 32GB it is then! I'll be hitting up my two local Wal-Marts on Friday afternoon. I also have Best Buy, and 3 Targets around me. Hopefully one of them has the iPad.

Ovid

Hmm sites are reporting 1gb confirmed for both the new mini and air. I guess i'm fine with that. I predict that next year the models will have 2gb and they will unveil a larger sized ipad pro with possibly 4gb ram and a keyboard cover, (which is rumored) aiming it as a laptop replacement, just my hunch. Ios is pretty amazing with ram usage though so I'm not worried.
179.jpg
My iPhone 4S has 512MB of RAM so 1GB should be fine.

32GB seems to be the sweet spot, at least for me. I don't use my iPad outside the house so I just stream my music from my iMac's library when I want to listen to stuff.
I always get the 16GB SKU of an iOS device. It never runs out of space because I'm constantly moving stuff off of the device when syncing it.

One other question for you guys.

It's been a while since I ordered a new iPad. Do they have the same restrictions as they do with iPhones in that they have to be delivered to the same address as your billing address?

One other question for you guys.

It's been a while since I ordered a new iPad. Do they have the same restrictions as they do with iPhones in that they have to be delivered to the same address as your billing address?

IIRC that was for AT&T, right? The Wifi-only ones should be fine, but the AT&T cellular model might have issues.

solarus

With the huge weight decrease and new form factor of the ipad air plus the price hike of the ipad mini, it seems like a no brainer to jump back into the larger ipad bandwagon. Only problem is I have enough for a 32gb mini but not a 32gb ipad air, agh. The air looks incredible.

LCfiner

retina quality magazines eat up space fast. And if you hoard local copies of comics and try out some bigger games, then 16GB will definitely not be enough for your usage. get 32 GB

This is assuming you mean to read 2 or 3 newsstand magazines a month and maybe 3 or 4 comics a week. if it's much less than that, then 16 should be OK.

Pachimari

Hmm, I have decided keeping my iPad Mini (1) is good enough for a year, and then I'll wait out until iPad 6 (iPad Air 2) and save up for a WiFi+Cellular edition, probably 32GB or 64GB.

I wonder what they can improve in next years model since this years model seem to have done very nice progress. Probably faster, better graphics and Touch ID.

Oh well, I'll wait but I'm surely excited!

retina quality magazines eat up space fast. And if you hoard local copies of comics and try out some bigger games, then 16GB will definitely not be enough for your usage. get 32 GB

This is assuming you mean to read 2 or 3 newsstand magazines a month and maybe 3 or 4 comics a week. if it's much less than that, then 16 should be OK.

I subscribe to Edge on the iPad, those files are huge

Like others have said, no way. I have a 16GB iPad 3 and I'm constantly running out of space... and I basically just use it as a comic/magazine reader and web browser. 32GB for sure, if not even more.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I struggle paying money for extra space when I can just get a cheap 2TB hard drive as central storage and flip things out when I want/need.

I have a gaming rig with 700GBs of SSD, a MBP with 512GB SSD, the 16GB iPhone 5S, and will get a 16GB iPad Air.

And I have four TBs of local storage - some on an FTP - so getting files, music, etc isn't hard. Furthermore, what do I even need to store stuff for?

Pictures, yes - but I can put them on Flickr. For movies I use Hulu/Netflix/Amazon. For music I use Spotify. Documents are stored in the cloud. I just don't really see the point of 64GB tablets and/or phones except in unique circumstances or you REALLY like to play mobile games.

Blackhead

Redarse
I struggle paying money for extra space when I can just get a cheap 2TB hard drive as central storage and flip things out when I want/need.

I have a gaming rig with 700GBs of SSD, a MBP with 512GB SSD, the 16GB iPhone 5S, and will get a 16GB iPad Air.

And I have four TBs of local storage - some on an FTP - so getting files, music, etc isn't hard. Furthermore, what do I even need to store stuff for?

Pictures, yes - but I can put them on Flickr. For movies I use Hulu/Netflix/Amazon. For music I use Spotify. Documents are stored in the cloud. I just don't really see the point of 64GB tablets and/or phones except in unique circumstances or you REALLY like to play mobile games.

Your circumstances are unique. Everyone else is the norm.

179.jpg
Is confirmed fake by the man who made it. He spread it via twitter

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I've decided to go Air. Haven't decided if I will day one it or not.

I have a feeling that it's going to come to light after launch that the Retina Mini has a lower clocked A7 compared to the big boy. I think Apple would probably call them both A7s in this case because they don't want the Retina Mini to appear last gen. They want it to be on an equal footing to most people.

Plus, the battery life is probably worse because of the smaller shell, also.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Your circumstances are unique. Everyone else is the norm.

My circumstances are unique in that I have less space on my computers than most people - that was my point.

I was only trying to point out that spending $100 on a 16GB bump is very difficult for me, as for $100 I can just get a 2TB hard drive and flip things out on a whim. With more and more stuff going to "the cloud" and syncing easier and faster than ever; I'd argue the need for lots of space on a tablet or phone can be simmered with my mentioned solution.

Obviously, everyone is unique and the 32, 64, and even 128 models have their audience. I wouldn't fault anyone for the purchase at all - I'm sure it's a necessity for many. But for those that are debating, I'm just offering up my two cents :)

bodine1231

I've always bought the 16gb version and have been fine. I never keep tons of games installed because most get boring rather quickly and I delete my comics after reading them. If money is no object then 32gb is the best bet but if money is tight,16gb is enough.

Looks like multiple sites are reporting that the Air will be available via in-store pickup.

I live like 30 mins away from Wellington Green, so it works out perfect for me.

chadskin

@Greyface and i_am_not_jon_ames:

Thanks, good to hear. I'm mainly interested in the battery life, given that the battery is somewhat significantly smaller compared to the previous iPads. I do trust Apples claim, I just like to see some confirmation before shelling out $600. :)

I expect it to be just as good as, if not a little better than the iPad 3 I just had. My big problem with it was just how HOT the battery got after extended use. Hoping the smaller battery size and better power efficiency will have gotten rid of that.

I'm kind of wavering on LTE right now. I've only ever had WiFi and never truly needed cellular in 3 years of owning these things. Odds are I'll stick with just WiFi.

Good news on in-store pick-up! Since I'm in the middle of Manhattan though, I wonder if it'll be a madhouse trying to get into and out of the 5th avenue or 14th street stores.

I expect it to be just as good as, if not a little better than the iPad 3 I just had. My big problem with it was just how HOT the battery got after extended use. Hoping the smaller battery size and better power efficiency will have gotten rid of that.

I'm kind of wavering on LTE right now. I've only ever had WiFi and never truly needed cellular in 3 years of owning these things. Odds are I'll stick with just WiFi.

Good news on in-store pick-up! Since I'm in the middle of Manhattan though, I wonder if it'll be a madhouse trying to get into and out of the 5th avenue or 14th street stores.

Apple store in manhattan on launch is a mad house, good luck getting one

PFD

179.jpg

This looks fake.

Konka

Banned
I've never thought about getting an iPad but that t mobile deal for the mini may be too god for me to pass up.

Top Bottom