• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

Sailor

Why do you guys think the iPad Air will have 2GB of RAM? Don't you think that if it really did, Apple would've announced it at their conference? Why would they keep it a secret.

I'm putting my money on it staying at 1GB.

chadskin

Why do you guys think the iPad Air will have 2GB of RAM? Don't you think that if it really did, Apple would've announced it at their conference? Why would they keep it a secret.

I don't think Apple ever talked about the RAM size in its iPhone/iPad line.

Makes no difference to the performance so who cares? It can have 8GB of RAM it plays angry birds the same.

Juice

Goddammit. 1GB

ipad-air-ram.jpg

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Goddammit. 1GB

http://cdn2.ubergizmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/ipad-air-ram.jpg][/QUOTE]

Makes me want to wait for next year. My iPad 3 is still going strong and the wait doesn't really affect how I use it. 2gb RAM would have made a more tangible difference i think.

Apple needs to stop being so stingy with ram. I'm not going to use thing thing in lieu of a laptop if a half a dozen tabs start reloading on me constantly. I really hope it's 2gb, if it isn't, I'll get the cheapest mini and upgrade next year.

I think the usual Apple people confirmed a while back the RAM constraints are decided for battery life. Apparently it's a bigger factor than we'd think. Refreshing everything still sucks.

mcfrank

The University I work at said the bookstore will have stock on launch day. So if you have access to a university bookstore, that might be a better bet than dealing with the crowds on Friday.

I think the usual Apple people confirmed a while back the RAM constraints are decided for battery life. Apparently it's a bigger factor than we'd think. Refreshing everything still sucks.

That sounds odd. One would think the having to refresh and pulling new data down through a WiFi connection would be a bigger hit than just having it stored.

No idea if I should get this or the mini. Been using an iPad 3 since it's launch but had a mini through my job for a couple of months and learned to love it despite the crappy screen.

I occasionally read magazines and PDF's, which I never did on the mini and it's messing with my decision making. Coupled with the gadget lust which is setting in bad right now, I have no idea what to do.

I've always bought the 16gb version and have been fine. I never keep tons of games installed because most get boring rather quickly and I delete my comics after reading them. If money is no object then 32gb is the best bet but if money is tight,16gb is enough.

How much is useable by the user on the 16gb?

I'm planing on using it the same as nemss. I'm not going to be using the absolutely massive games (whats the largest game, aren't most no more than 500mb?) and not planing on using it as a large storage device. I have my phone for music and photos. So Comics, games and maybe 3-4 movies at a time. I'm guessing the 16 GB will be good.

I had 16 GB for iPad 2 and 3. I felt constrained but I read PDFs, comics and save technical videos on mine along with games. Really wish they'd move to $50 storage price difference but they love that margin.

I want to trade in my iPad 4th gen and have $200 in gift certificates so hopefully I can get a decent price at the Apple store for "recycling."

Aaron

That sounds odd. One would think the having to refresh and pulling new data down through a WiFi connection would be a bigger hit than just having it stored.
Memory needs a constant flow of electricity. More memory means more juice used up. The same happens in laptops. I also don't think you can just turn off and on banks of memory the way you can with CPU cores. It's all or nothing. Considering Apple's history, I would be surprised if there's more than a gig.

How much is useable by the user on the 16gb?

I'm planing on using it the same as nemss. I'm not going to be using the absolutely massive games (whats the largest game, aren't most no more than 500mb?) and not planing on using it as a large storage device. I have my phone for music and photos. So Comics, games and maybe 3-4 movies at a time. I'm guessing the 16 GB will be good.
12 I think, or close to that. Bigger games are usually over a gig. XCOM is 3gig, though that's unique. I have a 16 currently, and it's just a little too small for my use so I'll be going 32.

BFIB

I had 16 GB for iPad 2 and 3. I felt constrained but I read PDFs, comics and save technical videos on mine along with games. Really wish they'd move to $50 storage price difference but they love that margin.

I want to trade in my iPad 4th gen and have $200 in gift certificates so hopefully I can get a decent price at the Apple store for "recycling."

Not sure if its an option, but a 4th Gen on Craigslist can probably fetch a much higher price than the trade in value at the Apple Store.

Mindwipe

Apple needs to stop being so stingy with ram. I'm not going to use thing thing in lieu of a laptop if a half a dozen tabs start reloading on me constantly. I really hope it's 2gb, if it isn't, I'll get the cheapest mini and upgrade next year.

It'd be better if they stopped being so stingy with storage first.

Not sure if its an option, but a 4th Gen on Craigslist can probably fetch a much higher price than the trade in value at the Apple Store.

I'm lazy. But I can give it a try. I like the convenience and safety offered by these programs, despite they're taking the coat and shoes off of you.

MVP

Banned
So tempted to make this my first iPad, but then it's like damn, I could just wait until next year for the next version...I've held off but this one's pretty sexy.

BFIB

I'm lazy. But I can give it a try. I like the convenience and safety offered by these programs, despite they're taking the coat and shoes off of you.

Apple products do hold their value. I tend to sell my outgoing electronics in this method, since you can usually get a good return. For a 4th gen iPad, you could easily get $350 IMO. Just note that the price your asking is firm, pictures always help, and meet in a public place.

So tempted to make this my first iPad, but then it's like damn, I could just wait until next year for the next version...I've held off but this one's pretty sexy.

Just jump in. Pick an upgrade cycle you want to be on and just buy one. This is a good time to do it, Air being the new line and all. And they have great resale value, if you really want the latest and greatest you can sell it next year and probably spend 100$ to "upgrade".

Aiii

So not worth it

There will be new devices for any gadget you can imagine on at least a yearly basis if not longer. If you want an iPad, now is a good time to jump in. You get the 64-bits stuff so it's future proof, retina and all the latest specs.

If you don't jump in now because a new version comes out a year from now, you're not gonna do it in any of the years after that.

jts

...hate me...
Do you think this design will stick for a long time?

iPad 2-4 lasted 3 gens and 2.5 years.

Also do you think that the mini (design and specs) will be kept in sync with the Air?

Because I have a mini 1st gen and I don't feel like upgrading this year... my preferred upgrade cycle is new designs. But if the mini stays in sync with the Air, then next year still keeps the same design for sure. Though it can be the last year of it. And I hate buying last years of a certain design. The alternative is to wait 2 years, but by then I'll be pulling my hair out of frustration of still using an iPad mini 1st gen.

BFIB

Do you think this design will stick for a long time?

iPad 2-4 lasted 3 gens and 2.5 years.

Also do you think that the mini (design and specs) will be kept in sync with the Air?

Because I have a mini 1st gen and I don't feel like upgrading this year... my preferred upgrade cycle is new designs. But if the mini stays in sync with the Air, then next year still keeps the same design for sure. Though it can be the last year of it. And I hate buying last years of a certain design. The alternative is to wait 2 years, but by then I'll be pulling my hair out of frustration of still using an iPad mini 1st gen.

Design wise, the iPad Mini set the bar. The only changes I see Apple making next year is a usual spec bump and the fingerprint sensor.

I can't remember...how much usable space does a 32GB have? Figured I might not need a 64GB after all.

Walmart told me not to expect any on Friday. :(. Was hoping to pick one up in store. We don't have apple store

Hmm..interesting. I have a few Walmarts, BestBuys and Targets nearby. I wonder if any of them are getting any in on Friday. Closest Apple store is an hour away unfortunately.

dorkimoe

I still plan on checking the store at midnight. This was a sales person calling a manager...but i dont think it was a manager over electronics. I think it was just an "i dont know..tell him no so he goes away" type thing

MVP

Banned
There will be new devices for any gadget you can imagine on at least a yearly basis if not longer. If you want an iPad, now is a good time to jump in. You get the 64-bits stuff so it's future proof, retina and all the latest specs.

If you don't jump in now because a new version comes out a year from now, you're not gonna do it in any of the years after that.

Good point.

And they have great resale value, if you really want the latest and greatest you can sell it next year and probably spend 100$ to "upgrade".

Just sold my 4th gen iPad for $550 (64gb).

Wow, ok I think I'm gonna do it.

Top Bottom