• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

Hige

How well do you think the iPad Air will age? The move to a 64-bit processor causing a "20-30% increase in memory footprint" (according to AnandTech) and still having 1GB RAM is making me worried. The scenarios he used to test the memory were pretty light compared to what I put my iPad through. I web browse with multiple tabs and use twitter and switch through multiple games, so I have tabs/apps reloading on me frequently on my iPad 3, with some apps occasionally crashing outright. But I'll be pissed if I wait a year and the next one has 1GB too lol.

LCfiner

How well do you think the iPad Air will age? The move to a 64-bit processor causing a "20-30% increase in memory footprint" (according to AnandTech) and still having 1GB RAM is making me worried. The scenarios he used to test the memory were pretty light compared to what I put my iPad through. I web browse with multiple tabs and use twitter and switch through multiple games, so I have tabs/apps reloading on me frequently on my iPad 3, with some apps occasionally crashing outright. But I'll be pissed if I wait a year and the next one has 1GB too lol.

for what you describe - if you want less stuff reloading - you might want to wait for a 2GB model. hopefully next year. The ipad air is going to have similar amounts of tab reloading and limited suspend space for apps as the current ipad.

It should be much faster performing the same tasks, but you’ll still get stuff getting kicked out of memory.

Hige

Yeah, I know apps will always have to reload, it's just the reloads sometimes sneak up on me so I'd love to have more RAM available. I just wonder if the Air really is that much of a step down from my perspective because of the architecture.

LCfiner

Yeah, hard to say if it will be about the same or slightly worse or much worse due to the increased memory footprint of 64 bit apps. It’ll end up being a case of what types of apps are being used, how they’re coded (there were lots of app crashes on the 5S as some of the devs enabled 64 bits in their apps but couldn’t properly test it) and how many are attempting to run a process in the background all at the same time.

Juice

I wish it had been 2GB but I'm not going to let it hold me back. I'll sell my iPad Air next October for the new shiny of 2014

LCfiner

I wish it had been 2GB but I'm not going to let it hold me back. I'll sell my iPad Air next October for the new shiny of 2014

same here. I don’t tax the iPad so much to worry about it. And having been ipad-less for a few weeks now, I’m not gonna use a Nexus 7 for a full year till a 2 GB iPad comes out.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
for what you describe - if you want less stuff reloading - you might want to wait for a 2GB model. hopefully next year. The ipad air is going to have similar amounts of tab reloading and limited suspend space for apps as the current ipad.

It should be much faster performing the same tasks, but you’ll still get stuff getting kicked out of memory.

I'm probably going to do this. Have a 3 myself. Would have impulse bought if they were available after the announcement, but having had time to think I think it will take one more gen for the accrual of new features to make upgrade worth it.

Aiii

So not worth it
Who cares? It performs how it performs. If you look at the Geekbench results it's obviously no slouch, so does it matter if it's powered by unicorns?

Because RAM determines how many apps can multitask, how many browser tabs can stay active and how many apps can run in the background simultaneously.

CPU speed benchmarks are great so Infinity Blade can load up faster, but RAM is vital for basic tasks people use daily.

The Air having only 1GB has made me decide to not replace my iPad 3 right now as the CPU speed increase isn't vital to me, more RAM would've been.

Fusebox

Banned
Guys whats your opinion on this. I want to sell my iPad 3 to pay for the Air but the screen is fairly scratched thanks to my kid. Should I replace the screen myself (is that possible) before selling it or do people buy scratched ipad 3s?

Guys whats your opinion on this. I want to sell my iPad 3 to pay for the Air but the screen is fairly scratched thanks to my kid. Should I replace the screen myself (is that possible) before selling it or do people buy scratched ipad 3s?

Donate it to a school that needs it

PFD

People will buy anything, including a cracked, non-functional iPad. Repairing your iPad might be costly, so I would at least put it up for sale and see what happens. Keep lowering your price until you get buyers. If you don't like the price, it might be worth repairing.

If you decide to repair it, try to find a local repair shop that would fix it for cheap. Apple charges way too much for display replacements (I fixed replaced my cracked 4S screen for $80, vs $199 from Apple).

You'll pay more to have the screen replaced than you'd lose by selling the thing as-is.

What storage size are you guys getting? I've rolled with a 64GB iPad 2 and a 32GB iPad 3 and iPad mini in the past. Still going back and forth on the 32GB vs the 64GB since I'll be using this one for a few years.

I'd sell as is.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
What storage size are you guys getting? I've rolled with a 64GB iPad 2 and a 32GB iPad 3 and iPad mini in the past. Still going back and forth on the 32GB vs the 64GB since I'll be using this one for a few years.

16gb. If Apple thinks I am giving them$100 for 16gb they are out of their damn minds.

PFD

I've been going 64GB since the iPad 1, but Anand's review with screwing with my mind

AnandTech said:
An interesting side effect of Apple’s pricing structure is that the cost for NAND upgrades actually gets pretty reasonable at the higher capacities. It’s the lower capacities that are the most expensive to upgrade (e.g. moving from 16GB to 32GB will cost you $6.25 per extra GB of storage, downright enterprise NAND pricing, but going from 64GB to 128GB costs you another $1.56 per extra GB).

Tempted to go for 128GB...

dc89

I got to hold an iPad Air today. Incredibly light and the smaller bezel is such an improvement, it feels so great in the hand, the weight but more so the size.

I couldn't imagine going back to a iPad (4th gen) after getting used to the Air.

I was almost set on not getting a Mini and going with an Air until I read the Anandtech review. The one thing that sort of struck a cord was the weight was great except in some situations and if you don't add anything to it like a case. So now I'm leaning back towards a Mini....

Decided to go black even though I still think white looks nicer, i already have a black case for the iPad air from amazon, white iPad black case will contrast too much IMO

Korosenai

I have a black 16gb wifi ipad mini, a grey smart cover, and an otterbox case. The ipad mini is in perfect condition except for a dent in the bottom left corner which doesnt even affect the screen. What would be a reasonable price to sell it for on Craigslist? Im thinking maybe $280-$300.

Jafku

I have a black 16gb wifi ipad mini, a grey smart cover, and an otterbox case. The ipad mini is in perfect condition except for a dent in the bottom left corner which doesnt even affect the screen. What would be a reasonable price to sell it for on Craigslist? Im thinking maybe $280-$300.

Yeah you should get about that.

Ainaurdur

I have never owned an iPad, it was only last year with the release of the iPad mini that I was first tempted. But I was disappointed that it was basically a small iPad 2. So I was really looking forward to this year and a retina mini upgrade. Then they show the iPad Air, and the mini retina price bump, suddenly I kinda want the Air.

Feels like a masterfully devious plan to get me to buy the full sized iPad... and I think it has worked.

Probably staying up until 3am to order the iPad Air Wi-Fi 32gb in Space Gray.

The conversation earlier in the thread comparing pro/con of the colors was nice. I have a Gold 5s so I have a good idea what the white border on the Air would be like. I plan on watching more videos and tv shows on the Air, and I think I will like the black border more in that it can "disappear" in low light viewing where the white would not. I have wondered if fingerprints might be an issue, but so far the oleophobic coating on my 5s has calmed that concern.

I just sold my iPad 3 16gb wifi for $300 through craigslist. It had some scratches and a few minor dings. The guy buying it was more than happy to pay what I was asking. In sure you can get a decent value for it even if it does have scratches.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yeah this is where I am at this point. I already sold my 3 and I miss not having an iPad.

Dany

Banned
On friday I don't know if i want to sleep and do persona pick up. or if I want to wake up and be there when the stores opens or I live in chicago and the closest one is the one on north/clyborn.decisions decisions.

Also getting black 64gb air.
3AQmK.gif

Red

Hoping to sell my 3rd gen 32GB + 4G iPad for $400 over the next couple of days. Need better performance. Crossing my fingers I get enough to afford a 32GB Air.

I am not a fan of the space grey thing Apple's doing, but if I go white I am going to miss those black bezels. The white Air looks much better overall though.

Red

fwiw, I sold my 3rd Gen 32GB wifi model for $400

I have it listed on eBay with a reserve price of $400, but I see others selling for $4-500. eBay takes like a $40 chunk so I'm hoping for somewhere in the upper range. It's in great condition, and I'm including all the original packaging + an iLuv CEO Folio case. We'll see what happens.

VPhys

How could you get $300 when that's the cost of a brand new one?

jadedm17

I have it listed on eBay with a reserve price of $400, but I see others selling for $4-500. eBay takes like a $40 chunk so I'm hoping for somewhere in the upper range. It's in great condition, and I'm including all the original packaging + an iLuv CEO Folio case. We'll see what happens.

Be wary of eBay scams.
I only found out of such a thing after a buyer claimed he got an empty envelope from me. $50 gone like that, they always take the buyer's side.

People think their used accessories in their color choice are worth any money to buyers.
Maybe some care, but I've never added a penny to my planned buying cost to whatever is being thrown in extra.

Blackhead

Redarse

He's selling an iPad mini + 2 cases.
Meanwhile the cost of a brand new one is $300 + tax
(on the flip side, many people forget to take into account the tax on the new device when considering the resale values)

People think their used accessories in their color choice are worth any money to buyers.
Maybe some care, but I've never added a penny to my planned buying cost to whatever is being thrown in extra.

Official Apple cases have some resale value but otherwise I agree it's best to use an accessories as an extra value add-on to attract offers and get a quick sale rather than pricing higher.

Red

Be wary of eBay scams.
I only found out of such a thing after a buyer claimed he got an empty envelope from me. $50 gone like that, they always take the buyer's side.

Yeah, there's always a risk. I've had more luck on eBay than local options (like craigslist) in the past though. That said, I've never sold something this valuable before. Hopefully insurance will cover any unforeseen complications.

VPhys

He's selling an iPad mini + 2 cases.
Meanwhile the cost of a brand new one is $300 + tax
(on the flip side, many people forget to take into account the tax on the new device when considering the resale values)

Official Apple cases have some resale value but otherwise I agree it's best to use an accessories as an extra value add-on to attract offers and get a quick sale rather than pricing higher.

I have to agree with jadem on this. I don't see buyers putting value on 2 cases that they did not choose.

Also, buying an ipad online one can avoid tax (although you are supposed to report this on your taxes), though many people looking on craigslist may not be that savvy.

Blackhead

Redarse
I have to agree with jadem on this. I don't see buyers putting value on 2 cases that they did not choose.
I agree with you both but from my experience the official Apple case has 'brand recognition' so it's easier to convince prospective buyers that it's a good case with some value.

Also, buying an ipad online one can avoid tax (although you are supposed to report this on your taxes), though many people looking on craigslist may not be that savvy.
Are there any places to buy the iPad Air now without paying tax upfront? Most people flipping their iPads every year do so at launch but Amazon doesn't carry the device until a few weeks/months later. Amazon never gets the iPhone at all. It's only the iPod Touches that Amazon offers pretty early.

Guess Who

Banned
Really, really torn between this or the mini. The mini gets me the same hardware for $100 less and I love the mini's portability, but I miss the larger screen and it sounds like the weight and size reductions may be substantial enough that it's not nearly as huge a difference as the iPad 3/4 was to the mini.

leng jai

The Mini sounds like it could be tough to find on day one. Not that it matters to me anymore since I just pulled the trigger on a Macbook Pro.

Top Bottom