• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

Aiii

So not worth it
Kinda, it relates to consumer law, and the claim forms can be quite specific when it comes to proof of purchase and the reasons for the claim. It's not just a 2 year warranty.

Don't buy into this, you get 2 years full warranty by law. If it stops working, you take it to the shop and they have to either replace or repair it. Your proof of purchase is the ticket you get when you paid for it, so store it. If the store gives you a hard time, threaten them, they'll come around because they know your rights.

Some of them will try to bs you I'm sure, but don't buy into the extended warranty stuff they try to sell you.

-edit: And now this entire explanation is obsolete lol-

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
UK here. Ordered a Black 32gb Wifi from PC World. Using 5% off tablets code, 1.5% quidco cashback and £30 voucher offer I'll only end up paying £419.36. Sweet deal.

Definitely going with Bestskinever on back and smart cover on front, same as I did with my ipad 3, no added weight/bulk and well protected. Highly recommended.

Tom_Cody

I have AppleCare on my 5S, but I feel that I'm more like to fumble my cellphone than a tablet.

What say you GAF, AppleCare or no AppleCare?

Enco

I never do apple care. 1 year is enough. Maybe on laptops it would be more important.

Any reason on why you should go with apple instead of Tesco/PcWorld? Will Apple sort out any issues you have?

solarus

FUCK i did not notice the curry's deal. It works out 25 quid cheaper than tesco and my order from tesco can no longer be cancelled. Darn.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
FUCK i did not notice the curry's deal. It works out 25 quid cheaper than tesco and my order from tesco can no longer be cancelled. Darn.

its not £30 off, its £30 you have to spend in currys/pc world after 21st November. Can't spend it on itunes cards - could be used for a smart cover I guess but you'd have to wait three weeks.

Aiii

So not worth it
any mini owners here got any impressions?

curious if the reduced weight/form factor is enough to get you back on the big ones.

Yes, here's one.

Of course the Mini remains a bit lighter and easier to hold in one hand due to the fact it's smaller. But this one is so light and the edges on the side being smaller allows you to hold it more to the middle when holding it in one hand (also makes tapping/typing near the middle of the screen much easier now) it was enough to win me back.

I've heard people say it's like a large iPad Mini and that's a fair description. It feels like an iPad Mini, just a bit bigger. Definitely check it out in a store first to see if you can get used to the increased size, but for me it was enough to win me back over. I like to read (books and comics) on my iPad though, so that was a big factor in my choice to go back.

solarus

its not £30 off, its £30 you have to spend in currys/pc world after 21st November. Can't spend it on itunes cards - could be used for a smart cover I guess but you'd have to wait three weeks.
Really? Phew, that's good, thanks.
What's the Currys deal? I don't see one on the site.
I misread it sorry :p it's 5% off with a £30 voucher to use in store, So tesco deal is still better in my eyes.
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ipad-air-5-off-30-pcworld-currys-voucher-1696504

Deku Tree

What is the deal with buying branded cases (like say Otterbox) on ebay for much less than anywhere else? Obviously they must not come with a warranty... but how do these resellers get them for such a low price?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I never do apple care. 1 year is enough. Maybe on laptops it would be more important.

Any reason on why you should go with apple instead of Tesco/PcWorld? Will Apple sort out any issues you have?

the warranty thing might push me away from currys. Whether you have 2 years warranty by law or not, trying to explain that to a curry's sales manager will not be worth the small savings. Apple are more likely to just roll over and fix it without nearly as much fuss.

Montreal store has/had a huge amount of stock. It was really organized; staff basically wandered the line to hand out stock cards so they knew how much they had. Anyway, lineup is gone and they're still doing sales. Decided to join the white LTE bandwagon. For some reason the Apple staff are cracking down hard on not using the official names though; heard the words "Space Grey" and "Silver" a bazillion times.

Strangely enough I guess sales broke their Macs because they could only process hardware orders normally. All accessories had to be purchased using EasyPay.

Stopped by my local Target on the way to work they had 4 iPad Air's. Luckily they had the model I wanted. The nearest Apple store is a bit out of the way so this was a welcomed surprise.

123rl

I missed the Currys deal but I hate them so much I would never use them anyway. The Tesco deal was good too...now I'm disappointed that I only got a crappy gift card from Argos

Don't forget about all the free apps you get with the Air. I just downloaded iMovie, Garageband, Pages, Keynote, and Numbers for free.

Aiii

So not worth it
Oddly enough my local store had at least 30 16GB models and only 3 white 32GB's.

I'd figured 32GB would be the most sold, but I guess most people still go for the 16GB.

Enco

the warranty thing might push me away from currys. Whether you have 2 years warranty by law or not, trying to explain that to a curry's sales manager will not be worth the small savings. Apple are more likely to just roll over and fix it without nearly as much fuss.
Can't you take a Curry's iPad to apple to fix?

What is the deal with buying branded cases (like say Otterbox) on ebay for much less than anywhere else? Obviously they must not come with a warranty... but how do these resellers get them for such a low price?

most are 'fake' which more accurately means they were rejects from the assembly line or what not.

So do they have these out on display today? Think i might stop by an apple store to check it out.

just having a crazy hard time deciding between ipad, ipad mini, a gtx 780, ps4... if only i didn't just buy a car, i'd have bought all of them lol.

Oddly enough my local store had at least 30 16GB models and only 3 white 32GB's.

I'd figured 32GB would be the most sold, but I guess most people still go for the 16GB.

Most people I know still get 16GB because $499 isn't exactly cheap for the average person to drop

My Walmart couldn't sell until 8, weird. Anyways, just got home with one.

Very mini-esque. It literally feels like a mini blown up to the 9.7" screen, which is a good thing. So easy to hold in one hand.

Just bought mine at the Apple Store in Amsterdam. It was quite busy, with about 60 people standing in the line just after 12 pm. Bought me the White, 32 GB Wi-Fi version with the Blue Smart Case. It looks so slick and feels so great to hold something this powerful, but so light in terms of weight.

Phreaker

Set my alarm for 3AM and ordered one. I had a hard time going back to sleep, but at least I got an email that said it's ready and waiting for me at my Apple store, yay! I'll pick it up in a few hours (lunch time).

.hacked

picked mine up at 8:05am no waiting in line because I ordered it last early this morning. App even told them I was there. Got a 128gb wifi and a smart case, syncing now.

icespide

Banned
weird. just got the email saying my iPad is ready for pickup but the smart cover is shipping to store =\ yet on the website it shows all smart covers available today for in store pick up

hopefully they have them there

Anson225

hey GAF help me out here
so i already have a iPhone 5 with unlimited LTE data
i was thinking getting a 64GB LTE Air but then I realise my iPhone can act as a hotspot.
so my concern is actually my phone's battery which is barely enough for a day already... plus there's monthly fee for the extra SIM (which is USD12 for 400MB here)

what do you guys think? LTE just in case? or go with hotspot?
appreciate it!

also, post pics. always enjoyed looking at 'fo reals' pics vs review sites.

hey GAF help me out here
so i already have a iPhone 5 with unlimited LTE data
i was thinking getting a 64GB LTE Air but then I realise my iPhone can act as a hotspot.
so my concern is actually my phone's battery which is barely enough for a day already... plus there's monthly fee for the extra SIM (which is USD12 for 400MB here)

what do you guys think? LTE just in case? or go with hotspot?
appreciate it!

hotspot. Get some usb cables or if you don't work around a computer, get a battery pack for like 30 bucks that can last you 2 charges.

Anyone else go with 16 gb like me . My ipad 3 was 32 gb but all my photos were on Flickr, dont play games on ipad, no music files and all books are on NAS or cloud services. Do you guys think I'll be good to go ?

20s6e6e.jpg

vmtbaa.jpg

Sorry for the bad light.

Use imgur

Also is there an advantage of going with a cellular ipad vs mobile hot spot ?

Because it sucks ? This is about the size of the ipad device not another device

true, but if you don't really use the ipad for games or other stuff, why not just get a cheaper android thing with retina screen?

Anyhow,

i'm gonna go to apple store after going to the tag office to 'look' at the new ipad.

think ill leave my wallet in the car just in case :(

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Want to try out the Air in store to see if I do want to go back to full size.

Tmobile site only seemed to have 16 and 32 gb models.

BFIB

Went to Target they only got one iPad Air. 16GB model. I asked if they are receiving any more, and he said that he is under the impression all they will get is the 16GB model.

So, I ran out to Best Buy as fast as I could. After 50 lines of questioning of what I'm going to use my iPad for, and numerous offers to buy their shit, I left the store w/ a 32GB Black Slate with a black smart cover.

Very fast, good upgrade.

Agreed. I've used the iPad 4 (we have them at work) but this is a huge upgrade over my iPad 3. I always thought the iPad 2 was the best one (lightest, great battery life, never got hot) and this seems to have it beat in virtually every category.

Top Bottom