• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

bodine1231

16gb Black ordered. Gonna wait to see what other cases they have in person before deciding. Might just end up getting the regular Apple one.

Sickbean

GAF once again improving my quality of life - was going to go and queue up at the Trafford Centre, but now have a 16GB silver Wi-Fi waiting for me at Argos. Boom!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
iPad white 16gb with AT&T ordered for in-store pickup.

$689.... Damn Leawood, KS tax. Saved $100 something on my laptop having it shipped to my house with a zip code a few minutes away.

No case this time. Might try to find sleeve. Don't want to ruin lightness of the Air.

Bed time . Have fun guys!

You should get the normal cashback; if you're signed up for the 5% Online Shopping cashback October-December you'd get 5% from that.

I'm hoping for a bonus 5% on top by using the shopDiscover link, which is only through using the link. So if this works out, I could potentially be getting 10% of the price credited back to my card in the next couple of months.

If the link doesn't work with in-store pickup, I lose out on the 2% savings I'd have gotten through an EPP, so it's kind of a gamble.

Glad I read this before placing my order. Was going to use discover but didn't know about the shop discover link. Getting 10% back will be amazing. Will be happy with 5%.

I almost gambled on trying to get one in store at Target tomorrow due the 5% back I would get from the red card but knowing I get the same discount from discover (and maybe 5% extra) made me pull the trigger on this tonight. Now I can sleep knowing that my iPad awaits me tomorrow morning.

Thanks!

Mii

Banned
Upgrading from a 16GB WiFi iPad 3 (holy shit its gotten so sluggish under iOS7) to:

32GB WiFi Space Gray iPad Air w/ Blue Smart Cover.

Picking up in store tomorrow. (I guess now today?)

What colors make the most sense with the space gray?

-GJ-

muGJcLM.jpg
32 GB Wi-FI Space Gray model.

Arrived 40 minutes before the store opened, was first in line.

So, I think I just want some sort of film/protector that will prevent scratches against the Air, but I don't know what to get. Belkin's offering isn't available yet, but I really don't want a case since I never dropped previous iPads. All I want is something to prevent accidental scratching in a bag or on a table/desk.

Hazelhurst

So, I think I just want some sort of film/protector that will prevent scratches against the Air, but I don't know what to get. Belkin's offering isn't available yet, but I really don't want a case since I never dropped previous iPads. All I want is something to prevent accidental scratching in a bag or on a table/desk.
Smart Cover?

Zutroy

Thanks. I was going to try at the Trafford Centre this evening but this way seems a bit more reliable.

Wow, thanks! Just preordered mine and I'll pick it up this morning. So much easier than travelling to the Trafford Centre and fighting the Horde or, scarily, waiting for delivery this weekend!

No problem. Here's the T&Cs incase a store claims not to know about the offer (happened to me before).

Sh0k

Any idea when are they going to be available at Best Buy? Need to do the purchase with Best Buy's credit card :(

dc89

UK Gaf:
Argos seem to have around two of each in stock available to reserve for collection today for most stores, plus you'll get a £20 gift voucher.

If you're near a John Lewis that could be worth a punt too. Free 2 year warranty included. Just checked their website and loads in stock for next day click and collect.

sadromeo

GAF once again improving my quality of life - was going to go and queue up at the Trafford Centre, but now have a 16GB silver Wi-Fi waiting for me at Argos. Boom!

I couldn't agree with this more. Was preparing to camp out as well in about an hour. Came here, read about in store pickup and a few minutes later, a 128gb space grey AT&T Air will be mine later today.

Are they going to have a separate line for people who paid online (since technically we've already paid) or will we have to still wait in line with people planning to just buy at the store?

123rl

I've just noticed at least two other people have mentioned the Trafford Centre in this thread. I didn't realise Manchester had so many GAFfers

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Queueing up at bristol cribbs causeway. Came in at 8:15, bit of a queue but nothing too bad (out of town so helps)

didn't realise they were opening early though - they've been selling since 8 i think, so I'll be done in about 15 mins (wasn't expecting to be finished until 10am)

white 32GB wifi - they look to have tons of stock as they have a box full of cards they are handing out so they know what they have available

normally would get black but I don't like the grey back.

now to think whether to get a cheaper plastic smart cover or the nicer leather ones - I bought a product:red last time to match my sofa :p

elfinke

Picked up an Air today, 16gb wifi. Was gonna grab two (one of each colour) but they only had the white ones so only Mrs elfinke got an upgrade today. We stream everything, so 16gb is plenty.

The thing is terrific, my 3, which I've been really happy with under IOS7 (in fact it's a better pad under 7 than it was under 6 I think), now seems properly out of date. Can't believe the difference in weight, and those couple mm it has slimmed down in other dimensions (particularly width (not depth)) add up to a very nice change.

Will have to go and grab one for myself over the weekend I think.

hiro4

Nah, Holland. It was at a Dixons.

Explains the no line thing :p
I was here in the local apple shop 40 minutes after they opened and almost nobody was there. Apparently the first 30 minutes they had a lot of people, but it seemed like they still had some.

123rl

What areas of Manchester? I feel a GAF meetup coming on. I work a few minutes away from Old Trafford and live near Salford

No problem. Here's the T&Cs incase a store claims not to know about the offer (happened to me before).

Thanks. It was mentioned in the email confirmation I received too, so it shouldn't be a problem. I'm off to get it soon!

Enco

Don't underestimate the A7. The iPad 3 is sluggish IMO and the A7 is amazingly fast
The iPad 3 is slow as fuck compared to my 5S. I know it's not the same as the Air but it's similar enough.

I hate the 3. Every time I use it it pisses me off.

123rl

Argos came through for me! Got my gift card too. I actually forgot about it until she mentioned it.

And the iPad Air? Absolutely glorious!!! My only description of the white model is "holy shit it is beautiful"

First in line at a best buy and no one else here. Feel like a dumbass right now but there's no use going home so close to opening. Bring on my 64GB Verizon!

LeleSocho

Banned
Got 16GB 4G Black.
It's really thin and light, if you used a 3rd/4th gen only like me the Air feels like a Mini.
Very very very happy.

Tomorrow i'll get a smart cover... yellow, green or pink?

Deku Tree

From the review that was negative about the weight:

One handed use, holding the Air above my face for long periods of time is still tough to do. I always have to prop it up against something rather than hold it like I would a paperback book or magazine. Literally all other use cases however are near perfect with the iPad Air: holding it in two hands, resting it against my palm, looking down at it, suspending it in front of me, or propping it up against my chest/legs. With just a little bit of support, the iPad Air’s perceived weight quickly diminishes to what feels like nothing.

Him saying it's not light enough to hold above his head for long periods of time isn't exactly something I'm worried about. I don't expect it to be a mini weight but being a much lighter then the iPad 3/4 is what I'm looking for.

That dude sounds old and/or frail IMO.

After using it for a day it really feels like a mini shell with a full sized screen shoehorned in. I'm not sure if it's lazy design or a massive feat of engineering. Knowing Apple it's the latter but it just feels effortless in a weird way when you show it to someone. It's like yep it's an iPad. Although using it compared to a 3 it feels like a whole new device line.

At the end of the day the perfect tablet is just a thin glass screen and nothing else. Just the content. Obviously technical restraints prevent this but this is the best example yet.

Aiii

So not worth it
After going back and forth and back and forth I decided to head out to the local store and check the Air out. I knew it was the thing to buy the second I picked it up and I browsed the web. So light and webpages were instaloading instead of "slowly" building up. So, I got myself a 32GB white one.

Good stuff.

Glip_Glop

You should get the normal cashback; if you're signed up for the 5% Online Shopping cashback October-December you'd get 5% from that.

I'm hoping for a bonus 5% on top by using the shopDiscover link, which is only through using the link. So if this works out, I could potentially be getting 10% of the price credited back to my card in the next couple of months.

If the link doesn't work with in-store pickup, I lose out on the 2% savings I'd have gotten through an EPP, so it's kind of a gamble.

Ugh, I forgot Apple is one of the stores in that promotion. I've received $22 alone in cash back just buying gas.

LCfiner

After using it for a day it really feels like a mini shell with a full sized screen shoehorned in. I'm not sure if it's lazy design or a massive feat of engineering. Knowing Apple it's the latter but it just feels effortless in a weird way when you show it to someone. It's like yep it's an iPad.

At the end of the day the perfect tablet is just a thin glass screen and nothing else. Just the content. Obviously technical restraints prevent this but this is the best example yet.

As someone who designs shit for a living (but much larger, less elegant systems), this is what impresses me the most about Apple's stuff. The sense of inevitability of design. Like, yup, of course it looks like that.

that is not easy to pull off.

Argh. Best buy has no black Verizon 64GB :( at least the lady was kind enough to poke her head out and ask us what we wanted.

Now standing in line to snag an upgrade for my wife, I guess. I ordered the model I wanted using apple's app. Will be delivered Monday.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
UK GAF: Tesco currently have a £30 off code for all iPads at tesco.com/direct - TDX-KW3Q - includes the Air.

You can click and collect tomorrow for free, too.

Juice

In line in front of my apple store to pick up my already-paid-for 16gb silver t-mobile pad.

They have tons of unclaimed cards available. As expected

mrklaw

MrArseFace
damn, although I have my air in my car right now, I'm tempted to return it with all these offers in the UK - £20 voucher at argos, £30 off at Tesco, 2 year warranty at John Lewis..

can you return items (unopened) at any apple store? There is one near me, but not the one I bought it from.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
damn, although I have my air in my car right now, I'm tempted to return it with all these offers in the UK - £20 voucher at argos, £30 off at Tesco, 2 year warranty at John Lewis..

Do you need a 2 year warranty on an item you're only going to own for a year? ;)

Woke up feeling the white model. Here's hoping Best Buy and/or Target has them later this morning otherwise I'll just order online through the Apple store.

I thought the entire EU has 2 year warranty by default.
Kinda, it relates to consumer law, and the claim forms can be quite specific when it comes to proof of purchase and the reasons for the claim. It's not just a 2 year warranty.

[edit] beaten... by you :D

Top Bottom