• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

Anandtech's review was approaching that point. That also started swaying me back to a Mini.

From the review that was negative about the weight:

One handed use, holding the Air above my face for long periods of time is still tough to do. I always have to prop it up against something rather than hold it like I would a paperback book or magazine. Literally all other use cases however are near perfect with the iPad Air: holding it in two hands, resting it against my palm, looking down at it, suspending it in front of me, or propping it up against my chest/legs. With just a little bit of support, the iPad Air’s perceived weight quickly diminishes to what feels like nothing.

Him saying it's not light enough to hold above his head for long periods of time isn't exactly something I'm worried about. I don't expect it to be a mini weight but being a much lighter then the iPad 3/4 is what I'm looking for.

Juice

One handed use, holding the Air above my face for long periods of time is still tough to do. I always have to prop it up against something rather than hold it like I would a paperback book or magazine. Literally all other use cases however are near perfect with the iPad Air: holding it in two hands, resting it against my palm, looking down at it, suspending it in front of me, or propping it up against my chest/legs. With just a little bit of support, the iPad Air’s perceived weight quickly diminishes to what feels like nothing.

Him saying it's not light enough to hold above his head for long periods of time isn't exactly something I'm worried about. I don't expect it to be a mini weight but being a much lighter then the iPad 3/4 is what I'm looking for.

If nothing else I enjoy the novelty of switching between sizes. I went from a 17" MBP to an 11" MBA and loved both.

I do find I don't spend nearly as much time on my Mini being creative. I expect I'll approach the Air with a mind to create more than only to read.

VPhys

I just played with one at a store. Definitely not as light as I was expecting. Performance was definitely faster than my iPad 3 but on the whole, I'm not impressed. Will wait for a higher pixel density and higher RAM model.
Higher pixel density??????

ElyrionX

I need to hear more negative impressions like this to keep me from buying one tonight. I am perfectly happy with my iPad 3, why the hell am I thinking of getting an Air? Dementia perhaps.

Weight is a key factor for me. This post made me go back to a Retina Mini.

Interesting, first negative I've heard about the weight "not being light enough"

The iPad 3 is heavy but it has never been an issue for me even though I have it in a fairly bulky Switcheasy Canvas case. With all that hype about the lightness of the Air, I was expecting more. The store had an iPad 4 (I think. Maybe it's the 2. I didn't check) unit beside the Air and I hardly felt a difference between the both of them. It doesn't even feel all that much thinner.

Well there are these quotes too:

The iPad Air gets incredibly close. Sans case, the iPad Air is light enough that I can comfortably hold it above me (with two hands) for a while without my wrists getting tired. I still prefer propping the iPad up against something but I think 1 pound may be the crossover point for me personally. With a Smart Cover attached the Air is still passable, it’s only with the Smart Case that I feel like the combination gets a bit too heavy to hold without resting against something for extended use.

I wouldn't say he was negative, but I do felt like he was approaching that he hoped it was just a tad lighter.

The iPad 3 is heavy but it has never been an issue for me even though I have it in a fairly bulky Switcheasy Canvas case. With all that hype about the lightness of the Air, I was expecting more. The store had an iPad 4 (I think. Maybe it's the 2. I didn't check) unit beside the Air and I hardly felt a difference between the both of them. It doesn't even feel all that much thinner.

Was it tethered to a cable? Hard to tell weight sometimes like that

Anyway, hopefully I'll see for myself in 6 hours

Juice

The iPad + Cellular is 0.05 pounds (9 grams) heavier than the WIfi model.

Is this at all noticeable I wonder? It's a 5% change.

I really would rarely use the feature, but 200MB/month free for life is just too good a deal. I mean I could lose everything and become homeless and still have free mobile email forever.

Zutroy

UK Gaf:
Argos seem to have around two of each in stock available to reserve for collection today for most stores, plus you'll get a £20 gift voucher.

iammeiam

Set an alarm so I could be up and ready to order the second they bring the store back online. I want a T-Mobile iPad air, and I have no idea how many of each model (since there are at least 16 iPad Air models) each store gets and has available for online order for in-store pickup so I figure getting in first is better than later.

F5'ing like mad.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
GL HF guys! I'm not with you guys on this launch, but perhaps the next iPad!

Juice

A nickel weighs 5 grams, can you handle the weight of two nickels?

archer-fx-320.jpg

... No?

UK Gaf:
Argos seem to have around two of each in stock available to reserve for collection today for most stores, plus you'll get a £20 gift voucher.

Thanks. I was going to try at the Trafford Centre this evening but this way seems a bit more reliable.

Done. 32GB black with the red Smart Cover with local pick up at the Apple Store. Hope Belkin makes a back case.

Going to take some's advice and sell my 4th generation on craigslist.

123rl

UK Gaf:

Wow, thanks! Just preordered mine and I'll pick it up this morning. So much easier than travelling to the Trafford Centre and fighting the Horde or, scarily, waiting for delivery this weekend!

Juice

Hahah, glad I have two Apple Stores in town. One of them didn't get *any* silver 16GB T-Mobile models. Had to settle for the slightly-further-away Apple store.

iammeiam

Success! Should be able to pick up iPad and case after work today, and I'm hoping the shopDiscover link worked so I can get 5% of the purchase price credited back to my account.

Still expensive enough Discover immediately sent me an 'is this fraud' text.

Guess Who

Banned
Here's to hoping there's some left over at my local ARS after everyone orders online.

Aiming for 64GB white on Verizon.

Jafku

Success! Should be able to pick up iPad and case after work today, and I'm hoping the shopDiscover link worked so I can get 5% of the purchase price credited back to my account.

Still expensive enough Discover immediately sent me an 'is this fraud' text.

Fuuuck and I used my discover card. Do I still get the 5% If I didn't use the link?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Meh, I ordered one for pickup because I am an idiot but I will probably cancel it tomorrow. Just not a big enough upgrade over my 3. All it really is is lighter, and my ipad is almost always on a table or in my lap.

iammeiam

Fuuuck and I used my discover card. Do I still get the 5% If I didn't use the link?

You should get the normal cashback; if you're signed up for the 5% Online Shopping cashback October-December you'd get 5% from that.

I'm hoping for a bonus 5% on top by using the shopDiscover link, which is only through using the link. So if this works out, I could potentially be getting 10% of the price credited back to my card in the next couple of months.

If the link doesn't work with in-store pickup, I lose out on the 2% savings I'd have gotten through an EPP, so it's kind of a gamble.

Jafku

You should get the normal cashback; if you're signed up for the 5% Online Shopping cashback October-December you'd get 5% from that.

I'm hoping for a bonus 5% on top by using the shopDiscover link, which is only through using the link. So if this works out, I could potentially be getting 10% of the price credited back to my card in the next couple of months.

If the link doesn't work with in-store pickup, I lose out on the 2% savings I'd have gotten through an EPP, so it's kind of a gamble.

Oh, well I signed up so here's hoping. Cheers

Juice

Meh, I ordered one for pickup because I am an idiot but I will probably cancel it tomorrow. Just not a big enough upgrade over my 3. All it really is is lighter, and my ipad is almost always on a table or in my lap.

Don't underestimate the A7. The iPad 3 is sluggish IMO and the A7 is amazingly fast

Top Bottom