• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

LeleSocho

Banned
I don't like the thinner bezels... imho it loses on comfort when you hold it.

But dat thinness and weight. Still don't know if i'll upgrade to Air or rMini (i was one of the stupids that bought the 3rd gen :/ ).

Rookje

With the iPad 2 still going for $400 retail, I would think you should get at least $350 for your iPad.

If space is higher, then I would try for even more. Apple products tend to hold their value.

I see around $270 on eBay being the average B/O price for a Used 16GB Mini Black.

VPhys

Apple has a far better ecosystem. Its a pretty easy sell if you already have an iphone, macbook air or macbook pro. It really makes no sense to go anywhere else.

I have a Macbook pro and it made sense for me to get a Nexus 7. Not only did it make sense, but the Nexus 7 does some things EASIER than my 4th gen ipad did. Moving media (pictures/video/music) to and from each device is much easier with my Nexus than with an iPad and having to use itunes. Just sayin.

The only thing I miss is ichat.

Wikzo

Getting it on day one. Looking forward to retiring my old 1gen iPad (aka giving it to my mother) :)

I really hope that it has more than 1 GB RAM (2 GB would be really nice).

One thing, though: I think the "Air" and "Mini" names are too similar, making some potential confusions among laymen people. Also, I still associate the MacBook Air name with a lesser MacBook. Not a big deal, but still.

Always wanted an iPad. Don't like to play games on the small iPod touch screen. Of course it's gonna have other functions I can use in my life. Hmmm...

iammeiam

They have those too. $40.

What I'm seeing on the Apple website for the air is a $40 poly Smart Cover (no back), or a $79 leather Smart Case with wraparound back. I'm just somewhat surprised by them apparently not having anything in between (the price point I think the leather Smart Cover or poly Smart Cases filled on previous models.)

They also look like they've swapped to the wrapped hinge mechanism used on the current Mini covers, so no more scratching.

The Apple cases are ridiculously overpriced, but the leather cover I was given back when I got my iPad 2 has held up admirably well, so I find 'em tempting in an "If I'm already paying Apple Tax..." kinda way.

shwimpy

Was gonna get ipad mini 2 but since this is coming out first and apple's return policy is so generous, might as well try it out.

Mini is too small for me, so I'll be picking this up. I'll give me older-gen model to my parents as an early Xmas present most likely, still basically new except for a few small scratches on the back.

Jafku

I don't like the thinner bezels... imho it loses on comfort when you hold it.

But dat thinness and weight. Still don't know if i'll upgrade to Air or rMini (i was one of the stupids that bought the 3rd gen :/ ).

Same :/

I was talking about this part
"(i was one of the stupids that bought the 3rd gen :/ )"

As an OG iPad2 owner.

Best Apple purchase ever lolol, who would have thought my shit would be so future proof in the Apple scheme of things. <3

Cyport

As an iPad 3 owner, I kinda feel like i'm in a black hole. If I had an iPad 2 I could sell it for a pretty reasonable amount to go towards an iPad air. The same for an iPad 4.

The 3 is just a gimmick and no one wants one

dorkimoe

As an iPad 3 owner, I kinda feel like i'm in a black hole. If I had an iPad 2 I could sell it for a pretty reasonable amount to go towards an iPad air. The same for an iPad 4.

just keep it

I skipped the 3 and the 4, after a week or so of the releases i forgot all about it, my 2 ran great. Its time now though

I really hope i can find a case as good as the one i had on my 2 though. It got discontinued like 3 days after i bought the case, it was the best ever. Covered back and front and propped up easily

BFIB

I think you'd still get a good price for it. Its like the iPad 2 but better!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I saw the writing on the wall and ditched that ipad3 the second I could y'all. Fuck that thang.

PFD

lol. i remember when apple products were relatively innovative. seems like every product now is the same as last years except lighter, thinner, more pixels, etc. Cosmetic enhancements and nothing more.

lol. I remember when neogaf comments were relatively innovative. seems like every comment now following apple events is the same as last years except dumber, sillier, more whining, etc. Minor differences and nothing more.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Sold mine for 350 and they usually go for 370 or more on eBay. I had a 32gb wifi.

That's a decent return. I'll get my next iPad for 350 off.

The last time the ipad used the same cpu as the iphone it was the ipad 3 which was a disaster because despite the higher clock speed the gpu and cpu could not handle the higher resolution compared to the iphone . The had to bring out an ipad 4 the same year to compensate for it I'll wait for reviews before i buy the mini or air now.

I'm glad I see absolutely nothing in tablets, especially iPad's.

Really, $600 for that 32GB one? Man.

It's been that price for the last 3 versions, it is expensive but I still love my iPad 3 and use it every day, it's great when propped up with the cover to watch and do stuff.

Or did the US price get an increase? it's the same in the UK right now.

MThanded

The last time the ipad used the same cpu as the iphone it was the ipad 3 which was a disaster because despite the higher clock speed the gpu and cpu could not handle the higher resolution compared to the iphone . The had to bring out an ipad 4 the same year to compensate for it I'll wait for reviews before i buy the mini or air now.
Except the phone processor is currently way over speced for the hardware IMO. Honestly if you know much about ARM you could argue that the current 5s processor could push a desktop replacement embedded board with no issues.

I'm also betting the clock speeds are different.

The iPad 4 works great with a much less optimized ARM platform. iPad air will fly. However if it makes you feel better about not getting this one then continue the conjecture.

Anandtech will lead us to the promised land soon enough.

Spinluck

It's been that price for the last 3 versions, it is expensive but I still love my iPad 3 and use it every day, it's great when propped up with the cover to watch and do stuff.

Or did the US price get an increase? it's the same in the UK right now.

My bad then. I don't really keep up with the annual revisions so I'm way behind. I'm sure people find use for them, there's a reason they do so well. I'm just surprised they get away with those price ranges. Maybe I'm just a cheap bastard. EDIT: Holy fuck. $800 for a 128GB model, might as well save for a Macbook lol.

Somnid

The iPad 3 used an A5X which was not the same SoC as the iPhone 4S. It was simply the resolution jump was too big for the mobile tech at the time to handle. Unless you had a problem with the 4th gen this is a non-issue for people who aren't interested in high-end tablet gaming (if such a thing exists).

Bog

Junior Ace
Only expected the Mini to get the retina with last year's hardware specs. Pleasantly surprised it got the new chip, too. I'll probably bite.

The iPad 3 used an A5X which was not the same SoC as the iPhone 4S. It was simply the resolution jump was too big for the mobile tech at the time to handle. Unless you had a problem with the 4th gen this is a non-issue for people who aren't interested in high-end tablet gaming (if such a thing exists).

Yeah as another user says I'll wait for Anandtech

Does anyone worry that these processors not being an X variant might mean these devices have the troubles that the underpowered iPad 3 has at some point? or did they explain that in the conference?

MThanded

Yeah as another user says I'll wait for Anandtech
They aren't going to say that it's worse than the 4. The new processor is leagues better. However if you are on the fence, anandtech will most likely clear things up.

As a previous owner of a 3 I think this is a great time to upgrade.

Fox Mulder

Was gonna get ipad mini 2 but since this is coming out first and apple's return policy is so generous, might as well try it out.

I love the mini, but the Air is looking like a better value now at only $100 more. I'm selling my mini and will put that money towards a 32GB mini or air. I'm just undecided so far, especially with no concrete date for the new mini.

Somnid

Does anyone worry that these processors not being an X variant might mean these devices have the troubles that the underpowered iPad 3 has at some point? or did they explain that in the conference?

I just explained that but essentially: does the average tablet app require more compute power than 2 years ago? The answer of course is no, the average app is still just a simply 2D UI and doesn't need something faster than last year with the exception of higher-end gaming (ie not Candy Crush/Angry Birds etc). So we're able to run more types of applications with faster SoCs but performance on old applications is universally better. If an iPad4 is considered acceptable this is simply much better. There is no possible way it'll get worse unless they change something fundamental about the data that the display requires (resolution, color depth etc).

NYR

Added a sub to this thread. Will return more often once the drive-by posters leave with their insults and bullshit - that first page of this thread is a gutter & wasteland.

I'm stoked for this. Sold my iPad 4 for almost 90% of its value, so I'm going Space Grey 64 GB. Was hoping for a pre-order, looks like it won't happen this go-around, disappointing.

justjohn

Looks like the air is much better value that the mini. The mini's advantage over the air was its lightness making it more portable and much more comfortable to use. but the air has lost its chunkiness, and now very light and just as portable and comfortable like the mini plus a much bigger screen.

Enco

Looks like the air is much better value that the mini. The mini's advantage over the air was its lightness making it more portable and much more comfortable to use. but the air has lost its chunkiness, and now very light and just as portable and comfortable like the mini plus a much bigger screen.

The mini is still way more portable.

Good luck comfortably holding the Air in bed. Or easily holding it with one hand.

Top Bottom