• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

Is there much point getting the 128 gig Air or is 64 enough? I can't imagine really using much space just using it at home and the occasional bit of travelling but would like to know from ipad owners what they think.

Is there much point getting the 128 gig Air or is 64 enough? I can't imagine really using much space just using it at home and the occasional bit of travelling but would like to know from ipad owners what they think.

well... depends? if you needa carry around all your hd movies (which is already a pain moving shit on through itunes depending on format)... sure. Or if you play tons of 3d games.... but still, i think for the mast majority of people, 16gb should be enough, 32, maybe.

PFD

It all depends on your usage habits. I have a 128GB Air and already have less than 40% free space. I download lots of digital magazines, books, large apps/games, and movies.

Guess Who

Banned
well... depends? if you needa carry around all your hd movies (which is already a pain moving shit on through itunes depending on format)...

Speaking of which, I did some testing with VLC for iOS. Thanks to A7 you can even play 10mbps 1080p video in it in pretty much any format without a hitch. Uses a lot more battery, though.

Yeah, I know if I don't get the 128 it'll piss me off one day, but if I don't have it I probably won't miss it.

Dat apple cash, it's a bit steep... But i've been holding out for an ipad and this seems like the jumping point.

Speaking of which, I did some testing with VLC for iOS. Thanks to A7 you can even play 10mbps 1080p video in it in pretty much any format without a hitch. Uses a lot more battery, though.

I was about to ask if there's a video solution outside of itunes. I don't know anyone who'd want to lock their videos in that nightmare.

oh yeah. vlc is amazing.

being able to move files onto it wirelessly is the best thing to happen to ios since launch.

BFIB

Yeah, I know if I don't get the 128 it'll piss me off one day, but if I don't have it I probably won't miss it.

Dat apple cash, it's a bit steep... But i've been holding out for an ipad and this seems like the jumping point.

I got a 32GB model, and I'm glad I went w/ that instead of 16. I know you're looking at the big boy, but so far, 32GB has been more than sufficient. I have around 60 comics loaded, 10 games or so loaded and a bunch of other apps, and still have around 20 gigs free.

Unless you're planning on loading a ton of HD movies as chickdigger noted, I think a 32, or at the most, 64 should be enough. Use that extra cash and get the smart cover.

I was planning on holding out for the Mini. Went to Best Buy to check out the new Air while also getting a little hands on time with the Mini. Once I held the Air, it was pretty much decided then on point.

Granted, my N10 was pretty light too when held in landscape. Once I held it in portrait, the weight felt "heavier". For the Air, it doesn't matter how its held, just feel great all around.

I just bought one. Found a good deal on kijiji for one brand new $500 even. In stores it's almost $600 after taxes. Holy poop is it light, I couldn't appreciate how light it is when I tried it in store due to the tether. Totally happy with my purchase, it will be great to use for my business.

Red

We went from a 3rd Gen to an Air also...the weight difference is much more significant than I'd imagined it would be. My wife uses the Air primarily, and I was considering a mini for myself as something to use on my commute, but I'm starting to think the Air is the one to get now.
I'm getting no hits on my 3rd gen iPad on eBay. Was really hoping for a bite at $400 to put toward an Air.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Are you still getting one or waiting for 2gb ram next year? I couldn't wait and jumped in, having no ipad felt empty.
I'm feeling pretty empty too. I realized this when i was on my phone in the bed last night and reading an article on the tiny screen. I said to myself " damn I wish I had my iPad" . Honestly, I really just want to grab one some time this week. However, I know black friday is coming very soon and I probably will end up wasting a bunch of money on stuff from amazon.

The point that they are widely available is making it harder to not stop by the Apple store on the way back from my office.

maruchan

Those of you like myself with out target trade in stores. Use the website, and inculde this code so you can get the max 200 on ipad 1

"novipad200"

I got my receipt and ups label so i can ship my ipad.

Phreaker

My 3 had 64 GB's and I didn't run into any issues and I use it a lot and put movies in it when I travel. I got 64GB this time too. On my iPad 1 I had 32GB and ran into space "issues" (had to remove stuff I wasn't using to free up space for rented movies for travel).

Ipad air is the best ipad i have ever owned. Finally I can type without it being my lap and my hands dont get tired. Fast and slim .

Question: what is the best ipad app for viewing flash media

undecided

How is Apple when it comes to replacing an ipad over light issues at the edges?

The left side of my air has about 1/8" of a slightly darker/dimmer area all the way down.

It is not major but I can't stop noticing it on a white page.

The left side of my air has about 1/8" of a slightly darker/dimmer area all the way down.

I've never had an issue getting iPad's with backlight issues replaced. They never give a hard time about those type of things.

PFD

They will let you replace it. If they don't, you can just return it no questions asked and get another one.

Carlisle

Got mine through the T-Mobile deal on Friday. No line, walked in 10 minutes after they opened and They had to unlock the door for me. Super easy. And coming from an iPad 2, the difference is pretty amazing. Size and weight have always been my biggest issues with mobile electronics and it bugged me that Apple bumped those up going from 2 to 3 and 4. So I held on to my trusty 2 for a long time but I've finally let it go. God that retina is sweet, and the slimmed down bezel in combo with the dramatically reduced weight makes thumb typing so much more comfy. It's really a massive difference. I'm typing out this whole post holding it up and thumb typing and it's no bother at all.

And that T-Mobile deal was spot on. But I'm still sometimes a little raw about them not offering the 64gb model, which is what I had with iPad 2. Sure, I was only using 40gb, and had probably only used ¼ of that in the last year, but it was still tough breaking out of that and cleaning out the fridge. But I think it'll be for the best ultimately, especially since I'd have skipped it altogether if it wasn't for the installment payment option. I needed 64 before iTunes Match and iMovie streaming, but now 32 is really plenty. Plus that 64gb + LTE + AppleCare+ and tax creeps into the 4-figure price range, which is a bit much for me even with the payment plan on T-Mobile. It just would have been nice to get the option rather than having no choice in the matter is all.

I'd also like to echo the reports about it feeling "hollow" when you tap on the screen. I definitely noticed this too. Kinda gives it a cheaper feeling, but it's not a big deal. I wonder if they did it to help keep it running cooler? Because I used it heavily for several hours yesterday and it didn't get nearly as warm as I felt the store display 3 and 4 models get in Apple Stores. Just a random thought, anyway.

So this is my first wifi + cellular ipad, and my first time with tmobile's service and I've got a couple questions for those in the know:

1. When I go to settings, I see that I can turn my ipad into a mobile hotspot! Even on the free 200mb plan. Amazing! Hadn't seen that mentioned anywhere in the press releases or plan details. But I'm just a bit wary of that, is it really how it works? I can use the feature as long as I have data left on my plan? Or will I be dinged a separate fee/rate?

2. Free international roaming... I actually have an overseas trip coming up so this will be handy. I understand the free plan doesn't have it, and the monthly plans do, but what about the daily/weekly?

I believe so. Certainly easier to read everything without zooming in and around on the screen or moving the screen closer to yor face. That's gotta be beneficial to the eyes.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I know a few that went back to the 2 after the 3's heating issues and performance.
Those people may be few and far between. Honestly even with the heat issue I could not go back from the retina. the screen is such a downgrade.

Those people may be few and far between. Honestly even with the heat issue I could not go back from the retina. the screen is such a downgrade.

Yeah, I have a 3 and a Mini. Overall I like the Mini much better, especially in terms of size and weight, but the screen sometimes leaves me wanting to switch out for my 3.

Air feels nice but I'm still waiting for the Retina Mini. Once I discovered portrait thumb typing on the Mini I was completely sold on that form factor.

Yeah, I have a 3 and a Mini. Overall I like the Mini much better, especially in terms of size and weight, but the screen sometimes leaves me wanting to switch out for my 3.

Air feels nice but I'm still waiting for the Retina Mini. Once I discovered portrait thumb typing on the Mini I was completely sold on that form factor.

Fwiw, thumb typing on the Air is totally doable now.

Fwiw, thumb typing on the Air is totally doable now.

You're right, it's totally doable when I tried out an Air in the store. But for my hands it's still just slightly too wide to be completely comfortable, even with the smaller bezel. The Mini still works better for me. Folks with bigger hands might find the Air a perfect fit, though.

Problem is Apple's split keyboard is too extreme. I wish I could have a split keyboard that's only a half-inch in the middle.

Thumb typing on any iPad has always been comfortable for me ever since Apple introduced the split keyboard.

Problem with the split keyboard is there's no options to fine-tune it.

It's either full-sized, or split way too much that it completely messes up my typing.

Man, I don't really know about this. It looks decent and I currently have an iPad. I'm looking to probably get a new one soon but I'm not sure about this. The Surface 2 is almost more attractive to me, IMO. Apple seems too conservative these days...

mandiller

Does anyone else's lock button rattle around? Mines not solid like other iOS devices.

Nope. Nothing rattles on mine if I shake it.

The only detracting thing I've noticed about my iPad Air is that the battery life doesn't seem to last as long as my iPad 3. I find the battery drains fairly fast even if I'm just browsing websites for an hour.

Future

I have a logitech ultrathin keyboard for ipad 2. I know demensions of the ipad air have changed, but I wonder if they have changed so much to make it unusable. Anyone try ipad 2 accessories with the Air?

Top Bottom