• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

Mr.Ock

So tempted on the Mini now, I love the form factor. The only reason I would choose the Air is because I'll occasionally have to do some writing on it. How is typing on the Mini in landscape? I'm talking about short paragraphs, not huge amounts of writing

I went to Best Buy today to check out the Air to get a feel for its weight. Unfortunately it was in a weighty harness so it was hard to get a feel. What stood out to me was how the framerate dips when scrolling between homepages. I guess I should have expected it since the iPhone 5S does it, but this felt worse. Probably cuz of the higher resolution. I'm surprised people don't point it out more. I kinda expect this on an Android tablet but not an iPad.

AngryMoth

Used it for a few days now and I am very pleased. It's still a little heavier than I'd like ideally but I think for me personally the extra screen size is worth it. Screen is amazing coming from ipad2, although I wish is was like the new iphone screens where they aren't noticeably sunken into the display. No big deal though.

One thing I hope they add to the OS next year is a dashboard style widgets panel to the left of the home screen now that they have moved the search feature that used to be there

So tempted on the Mini now, I love the form factor. The only reason I would choose the Air is because I'll occasionally have to do some writing on it. How is typing on the Mini in landscape? I'm talking about short paragraphs, not huge amounts of writing

A little too constrained for full five-finger typing. When I'm using the Mini in landscape then I usually find myself typing with only index fingers. If you're not going to do serious, heavy typing then holding a Mini in portrait and thumb typing seems to work amazingly well. Much quicker.

But if you're set on traditional typing in landscape then maybe the Air would be better.

solarus

Thumb typing is great in both orientations on the mini. Rapid.

Can you do this even if you bought it from somewhere else? I got mine from tesco and I'd rather deal with apple.

Doesn't matter, they check up the serial number and that tells them if it's still under warranty. All you need to bring is the device itself, don't need cables or box.

By new one you mean button right? They don't replace the whole ipad right?

They've always just swapped out the device for a new one. If you have a legitimate complaint (button issues, screen issues), they well replace it without issue.

BikoBiko

Anyone else experiencing the problem of having a yellow tint on one side of the screen and a more blueish tint on the other side of the screen? I find it's particularly noticable when using the keyboard. Thinking of exchanging it now...

Anyone else experiencing the problem of having a yellow tint on one side of the screen and a more blueish tint on the other side of the screen? I find it's particularly noticable when using the keyboard. Thinking of exchanging it now...

Yep, the problem is pervasive. I had it on one unit and returned it. The one I got today from Apple has it, I think, but it's not as bad as the first so I think I'm just going to deal with it.

Awesome, details please. Did you send a message to the iPad? Did they call you?
The baggage claim people went through my contacts and called me Dad. He called me to let me know and gave me a number to call. Before I could call the baggage claim people called me and let me know where to pick it up.

Made sweet love to it on the flight back to NYC.

Shearie

Tried one out at the Apple store today and while it's much better to handle than previous iPad's, I've been using a Mini for a year and I still find it much more comfortable than the Air. One thing though is I that the regular sized iPad screen seems HUGE to me now after being accustomed to the Mini.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Got an iPad Air at work today and so far I don't really like it. It feels like a larger mini - somehow the touch screen feels different compared to an iPad3/4.

I sold my iPad 3 three weeks ago and am planning on picking up one tonight but haven't read many impressions because I was out of town and not on the internet since it launched. How are people liking it? Battery improvements? Speed?

solarus

I sold my iPad 3 three weeks ago and am planning on picking up one tonight but haven't read many impressions because I was out of town and not on the internet since it launched. How are people liking it? Battery improvements? Speed?
It's better than the 3 in every aspect, except the RAM where it's equal. Battery is great, the new form factor is amazing and i find it really comfortable, speed is blazing however apps seem to crash randomly more often due to the move to 64bit. My air has crashed randomly on safari a few times now, my mini never had that problem (mini only crashed due to low memory). Of course these are just 64bit growing pains, apps will get updated and it will sort itself out soon I'm sure. It's not often enough that it matters though lol sorry if i made it sound that way.

LCfiner

IT’S SO FUCKING GOOD.

Battery life is the same but it’s so light now and very fast. almost as light as the mini. Excellent update.

BFIB

It's my first iPad so I can't comment regarding upgrading. However the device itself is fantastic. Incredibly light. I was planning on getting the mini, but after holding this, it was a no brainer.

Yep. Although this is always mentioned whenever a new iPad (and often iPhone) launches, and people often find that the yellowing disappears with use. It seems that in many - not all - cases it's to do with the adhesive settling. I'm going to give it 7-10 days and see where it is before I swap it out.

I can't believe how amazing this device is, I just wish apple offered a surface style keyboard and would increase the functionality of this device so it could truly replace a laptop. If I could download songs and mixtapes outside iTunes and load them on my iPhone via the iPad I would sell my laptop that same day

Been playing with my iPad Air for three days now. It's pretty awesome compared to my 3rd gen iPad. iOS 7 is kinda unpolished, though; Screen rotation, five finger gesture, search, and other animations are definitely choppy.

Question: anyone find a cool, thin, case + cover yet? Kinda like the Apple case but not as expensive? :p

Vyer

Yeah, we need to get some good case recommendations going.

Put it through the paces yesterday; spent all football day switching between websites, apps, iMessage and a little FaceTime while watching games. Then topped it off renting a movie from iTunes. Really enjoying the updates.

Been playing with my iPad Air for three days now. It's pretty awesome compared to my 3rd gen iPad. iOS 7 is kinda unpolished, though; Screen rotation, five finger gesture, search, and other animations are definitely choppy.

Question: anyone find a cool, thin, case + cover yet? Kinda like the Apple case but not as expensive? :p

iOS 7 is really unpolished, little thought went into the iPad version of iOS 7

Kurdel

Banned
iOS 7 is really unpolished, little thought went into the iPad version of iOS 7

It's ironic that they bash android tablets for not having having tablet versions buy then go and butcher the iPad iOS 7 experience.

I mean, the clearest regression for me is the music app. It looks hideously like the phone version stretched out.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So as some of you know I sold my iPad 3 a while back.

I finally put the money in my account to go to the apple store and buy an iPad Air. I went in there and played with one for about 30 minutes. I ended up walking out.

I don't know why I am so gun shy about this model. I do the 2 year upgrade consistently on the ipad and the iphone.

I wish they increased the RAM and I wish they put in the fingerprint sensor. The redesign and the internals are great. It's just going to take me some more time to figure out what I want to do.

The Mini will be too small to read fullscreen pdfs. I commonly use my iPad to read research papers and edit pdfs.

jts

...hate me...

I finally put the money in my account to go to the apple store and buy an iPad Air. I went in there and played with one for about 30 minutes. I ended up walking out.

I don't know why I am so gun shy about this model. I do the 2 year upgrade consistently on the ipad and the iphone.

I wish they increased the RAM and I wish they put in the fingerprint sensor. The redesign and the internals are great. It's just going to take me some more time to figure out what I want to do.
U want to wait for the mini and shell out $100 less for the same hardware in a slender package.

Damn that stealth edit, Kanye.

GAF Mobile keeps eating my posts. This is driving me insane.

MT, if you really have productive uses for an iPad, it makes sense to just buy an air and resell it for next year's model. I don't think we're at the point where consumers will care about the lack of a fingerprint sensor or even realize that their tabs keep reloading before buying your Air next year.

tsumineko

Yep. Although this is always mentioned whenever a new iPad (and often iPhone) launches, and people often find that the yellowing disappears with use. It seems that in many - not all - cases it's to do with the adhesive settling. I'm going to give it 7-10 days and see where it is before I swap it out.

My iPad 4 has this problem, and it never went away. My first one was HORRIBLE so I swapped it for my current one which wasn't as bad, but it has remained since the day I bought it.

Hearing the problem is still there on the Air is a deal-breaker for me. Hopefully the Mini does not have it.

Dany

Banned
It's ironic that they bash android tablets for not having having tablet versions buy then go and butcher the iPad iOS 7 experience.

I mean, the clearest regression for me is the music app. It looks hideously like the phone version stretched out.
Seriously, the remote app was just updated and it somehow inherited the iTunes look while the music app is not. Why....

Photo%20Nov%2004%2C%208%2044%2050%20PM.png

Photo%20Nov%2004%2C%208%2046%2004%20PM.png

Photo%20Nov%2004%2C%208%2046%2022%20PM.png

Deadstar

So I just bought an ipad air. The plus and minus buttons feel sturdy but the power button does feel loose and a little wobbly. Is this normal or should it feel as tight as the plus and minus buttons?

NYR

So I just bought an ipad air. The plus and minus buttons feel sturdy but the power button does feel loose and a little wobbly. Is this normal or should it feel as tight as the plus and minus buttons?
Mine is wobbly and loose, makes some noises. Plus minus are rock solid. No big deal for me.

Tom_Cody

Grumble @ the iPad Air's 1GB of ram. Chrome and Safari both crash frequently when browsing picture-heavy GAF threads. I have even gotten used to manually closing all of my other apps when I want to browse media-rich sites and that has barely helped. I was really looking for more out of this devices. Grumble.

I guess we can look forward to seeing this problem solved in 11 months when the new "best ever" iPad gets announced. Ugh.

Goldenhen

Grumble @ the iPad Air's 1GB of ram. Chrome and Safari both crash frequently when browsing picture-heavy GAF threads. I have even gotten used to manually closing all of my other apps when I want to browse media-rich sites and that has barely helped. I was really looking for more out of this devices. Grumble.

Have you tried turning off GIF setting in preference?

solarus

The Mini will be too small to read fullscreen pdfs. I commonly use my iPad to read research papers and edit pdfs.
I'm thinking of returning mine tomorrow for the same reasons. I feel like, despite the redesign, this ipad is the equivalent of the s model of the iphone series. I wanted to move back to the bigger ipad again for the same reasons as you, reading pdfs is not nearly as great on the mini, but I think I'll return mine and wait for next year. I want my ipad to last me 2-3 years before an upgrade and being stuck with 1gb ram and no touch id makes the high cost look unappealing. Every 2 years the iphone/ipad get a ram boost so I don't want to be stuck in the middle of the cycle, a double to 2gb ram would be huge, refreshing is still a problem on the air. I absolutely love the redesign and form factor though, I'll definitely jump in next year.

Aiii

So not worth it
Ok, I'll try that. I didn't know that was a thing.

I'm kind of partial to gifs though...

Online in GAF Mobile, and honestly why use GAF mobile on a 10" display? Looks horrible.

That said, gif's hardly crash my Air, it's more when sites go crazy with video.

Top Bottom