• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

Sickbean

Does this seem like slow Wi-Fi?

This is sat 3m from my router (Virgin Media Super Hub). I get around 125Mbps with a wired connection on my PC.

mURSuyo.png

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

This is sat 3m from my router (Virgin Media Super Hub). I get around 125Mbps with a wired connection on my PC.

Yes, clogged channel maybe? I get near 1:1 wifi speeds to my wired home connection over 802.11n.

Edit: On an iPhone 5S, not iPad Air. But they have the same wifi antennas I believe.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So now I have an ipad with the lightning connector, and my kids have an ipad 2 with the old dock connector. Is there a charger that has two USB sockets that can charge both at 2A? I don't have enough sockets spare to dedicate one per ipad, and my layout means I can't easily swap them over each time I charge.

Sickbean

Yes, clogged channel maybe? I get near 1:1 wifi speeds to my wired home connection over 802.11n.

Edit: On an iPhone 5S, not iPad Air. But they have the same wifi antennas I believe.

Just switched to channel 1 (which according to Wifi sniffer no one else is using locally) and it's no better. I'll see how it gets on with the Uni network later.

The only detracting thing I've noticed about my iPad Air is that the battery life doesn't seem to last as long as my iPad 3. I find the battery drains fairly fast even if I'm just browsing websites for an hour.

Conversely, I just charged my device for the first time last night. Still had 35%

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nope. Nothing rattles on mine if I shake it.

The only detracting thing I've noticed about my iPad Air is that the battery life doesn't seem to last as long as my iPad 3. I find the battery drains fairly fast even if I'm just browsing websites for an hour.

I had great battery life for the first day - seemed to last all day and hardly drop. The next morning it was at 35% and dropped like a stone. Maybe it needs a few charges to settle down?

weird - mine was getting way faster speeds on downcast than I got on my ipad 3

Mogwai

Maybe it needs a few charges to settle down?
Before the urban legends start rolling: It doesn't need a few charges to kick in, or settle down or anything. The battery in iPad is a lithium polymer. The only maintenance it requires is that you drain it until it turns off and then recharge it completely so the battery gauge gets calibrated, once a month.

It either works or it don't :)

Deku Tree

I have a 20Mb/s up and 4Mb/s down connection. It is instantaneous for most things and it only takes a few minutes to download large files. The only bottleneck is usually the speed of the connection on the other end. I don't know why anyone would need more unless they are regularly uploading and downloading GB+ sized files.

In any case, on topic, my iPad 2 regularly gets 24Mb/s up and 5Mb/s down ratings from those speed tests in my house that has three WiFi routers to boost my signal. Although it is a cable connection so sometimes infrequently I do get a little bit of slowdown to like 8-10Mb/s down.

So I don't see how all this extra iPad Air WiFi tech is going to improve my internet speeds, although I can see how it will improve the "range" of where my iPad is able to pick up a strong signal.

All the same I am getting an Air as soon as I can.

Sickbean

I have a 20Mb/s up and 4Mb/s down connection. It is instantaneous for most things and it only takes a few minutes to download large files. The only bottleneck is usually the speed of the connection on the other end. I don't know why anyone would need more unless they are regularly uploading and downloading GB+ sized files.

In any case, on topic, my iPad 2 regularly gets 24Mb/s up and 5Mb/s down ratings from those speed tests in my house that has three WiFi routers to boost my signal. Although it is a cable connection so sometimes infrequently I do get a little bit of slowdown to like 8-10Mb/s down.

So I don't see how all this extra iPad Air WiFi tech is going to improve my internet speeds, although I can see how it will improve the "range" of where my iPad is able to pick up a strong signal.

All the same I am getting an Air as soon as I can.
Honestly it's more academic curiosity than anything else. I just like to know that everything is operating optimally, and if not, why not.

BFIB

Before the urban legends start rolling: It doesn't need a few charges to kick in, or settle down or anything. The battery in iPad is a lithium polymer. The only maintenance it requires is that you drain it until it turns off and then recharge it completely so the battery gauge gets calibrated, once a month.

It either works or it don't :)
I've had great battery life so far. Running it down completely today going to see if I get even more battery life. Been very impressed so far.

I left my iPad on a plane last night. It's never coming back : , (

Have iCloud and Find My iPad set up on it, so hopefully whoever decided to keep it, will realize there's not much they can do with it and try to get in touch with me.

: , (

solarus

I'm loving this thing the more I use it, I think I've changed my mind about returning it and waiting for a retina mini.

zychi

Banned
Just got mine in the mail. Love it, was debating between this and the mini, but I'm able to palm this with one hand, so I'm good with the bigger screen

Carlisle

So I got mine at tmobile with their crazy deal. When I was there, they told me they weren't carrying anything bigger than 32, and even on their website you could only order up to 32. I'd had my heart set on 64, but convinced myself, with the aid of the salesmen, that 32 would be fine.

2 days later 64gb and 128gb pop up on the tmobile website. Pretty irritated at that, but not sure if it would be worth trying to swap iPads. Would they even let me pay the difference without a restocking fee?

BFIB

So I got mine at tmobile with their crazy deal. When I was there, they told me they weren't carrying anything bigger than 32, and even on their website you could only order up to 32. I'd had my heart set on 64, but convinced myself, with the aid of the salesmen, that 32 would be fine.

2 days later 64gb and 128gb pop up on the tmobile website. Pretty irritated at that, but not sure if it would be worth trying to swap iPads. Would they even let me pay the difference without a restocking fee?

I'd take it back and tell them that the salesman told you that 64GB and 128GB wasn't an option, so you shouldn't have to pay for something when the salesman didn't have the correct info.

Danchi

I'm really torn between the two models right now. There's a few magazines I subscribe to that have the option of a physical release or via PDF files, and, since they won't be downloaded from Newsstand, I'm wondering how well optimised they'll be for the Mini's 7.9" screen.

And while I still see tablets as more consumption-based devices, I'm still debating if that will change over time and if I'll regret not going for the bigger screen for typing.

BFIB

This will likely be my tablet for the next 2 years. One great thing about Apple products, is that they hold their value.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My safari has crashed out a few times now. Hope it doesn't become a regular occurrence. Only have six tabs open and most of those are pretty lightweight

raven777

Really? This will be a huge issue for me. iPad3 has the worst battery in any of the iPad series if i remember correctly.

TxdoHawk

Played with one in a Best Buy. Like others, I couldn't get a feel for the weight due to the giant security thingy, but it definitely feels nice.

It's definitely a matter of when and not if, I just have a couple of Responsible Adult Things(tm) I want to take care of before I go blowing five Bens plus on a new fondleslab.

Space grey looks a lot nicer in person than it did in photos from the event. Still think the traditional silver looked better though.

I'm always worried about how any electronics with white in them are going to look after some use. I don't know why, I'm enough of a serial upgrader that they never stick around long enough for it to become an issue.

Yeah I've had two or three crashes so far, all Safari. Why does the browser crash so much as opposed to say something more complex like Infinity Blade?

Infinity Blade is one game that only has to deal with a finite number of things directly associated and created within the game itself. Safari has to deal with the code on every page on the internet.

Enco

Got the Air today.

It feels awesome to hold but the iOS 7 animations are still choppy. Pretty shocking how Apple have left it like this.

As it stands, the main reason I would recommend the Air is if you really want a lighter iPad. iOS 7 holds the Air back big time.

Got the Air today.

It feels awesome to hold but the iOS 7 animations are still choppy. Pretty shocking how Apple have left it like this.

As it stands, the main reason I would recommend the Air is if you really want a lighter iPad. iOS 7 holds the Air back big time.

I wonder if they'll ever address the tiny folders on the iPad. It's such a glaring flaw that just shows how the iPhone holds back iOS for the iPad.

Enco

I wonder if they'll ever address the tiny folders on the iPad. It's such a glaring flaw that just shows how the iPhone holds back iOS for the iPad.
Apple have a lot of shit to do.

Lets hope they don't slack.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the speed improvements are in app.

Any good cheap back cover that's thin and works with the smart cover? I don't want to buy a full on case that destroys the big selling point of the Air.

Ovid

Just got mine in the mail. Love it, was debating between this and the mini, but I'm able to palm this with one hand, so I'm good with the bigger screen
I did the same thing. I was like "Woah, this is almost as small as the Mini".

Mogwai

I've had great battery life so far. Running it down completely today going to see if I get even more battery life. Been very impressed so far.

You won't get more battery life by draining the device. All you get is a calibrated battery gauge. There's nothing you can do to improve the battery life with the lithium ion/polymer batteries. They are as good as they get when you first start to use the device.

However, makes sure you don't keep the device in heated places. That's what really kills the battery. There's also arguments for keeping the device between 40 and 80% at all times to prevent battery degradation. But it's quite a hassle to live up to that :)

Vyer

Got the Air today.

Did you do the reduce motion thing?

Phreaker

I left my iPad on a plane last night. It's never coming back : , (

Have iCloud and Find My iPad set up on it, so hopefully whoever decided to keep it, will realize there's not much they can do with it and try to get in touch with me.

: , (

That's terrible. Did you send a message to it? Like tell them to call you or something? Can you tell where it is using iCloud.com?

Azzurri

If any of you have an old 1st gen iPad you can trade it in to Target and get $200 GC and put it towards an iPad Air.

Vyer

Nope. I like the animations and I shouldn't have to disable them anyway.

Plus five finger close is still jittery with it switched on. That's by far the biggest annoyance

Yeah, I've noticed that on the 5 finger. I liked the animations well enough but after turning them off on the phone I realized I didn't miss them much.

Enco

Yeah, I've noticed that on the 5 finger. I liked the animations well enough but after turning them off on the phone I realized I didn't miss them much.
I can understand why some would disable them but I find the fade animation annoying.

Hopefully Apple sort this shitty optimisation out.

I want a back cover to match my Smart Cover but I'm scared of fucking up the weight of the Air...

solarus

It's insane how far ahead apple is in terms of build quality and design in the tablet space, coupled with the amazing tablet app ecosystem they are still leaps and bounds beyond their competitors in this space imo. In the phone space it's closer, but man I've used both nexus tablets and tried a galaxy tablet out and none of them even compare imo. The air is fantastic, I still may return if only because I want 2gb ram and touch id next year. I don't care about speed improvements from here, I honestly thought the a5 in my mini was fast enough, this thing is blazing too and nothing is pushing it at all.

Carlisle

I'd take it back and tell them that the salesman told you that 64GB and 128GB wasn't an option, so you shouldn't have to pay for something when the salesman didn't have the correct info.

Thanks, I did some more Googling after you suggested this and decided I'd call CS before going to a retail store. I figured that the employees are all mostly salesmen/cashiers and wouldn't have the authority on their own to waive something like this, but some people had mixed results bitching at CS and getting a waiver attached to their account before going in.

So I did that and I got something in between. Since I'm doing the EIP, the CS guy gave me a $50 credit towards those payments. First he said nothing I could do, then he said a credit towards my mobile data payments, then I got him up to this before agreeing. So I'm out $25 for the upgrade. Still not ideal, but a hell of a lot easier to swallow than $75.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So what are the predictions for the mini date? I played with the Air this weekend and damn near bought one on the spot, but am waiting for the mini, I just hope it's soon...

Top Bottom