• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

franzer

So i have the wifi 32 gig, but now thinking about it, i'd like to return it and get the 4g verizon one. I also bought mine at best buy, think i would have any issue doing so?

Vyer

So i have the wifi 32 gig, but now thinking about it, i'd like to return it and get the 4g verizon one. I also bought mine at best buy, think i would have any issue doing so?

I think best buy's return period is 14 days, you won't have any problem in that time frame especially if you are exchanging for something more expensive.

epmode

Anyone else notice a slight yellow tint on the left side of the screen when the iPad Air is held in portrait mode? It's pretty obvious in Safari when the white keyboard appears.

Jimrpg

getting mixed opinions from mini owners. some think its perfect size, while others prefer mini size.

I don't like the mini.

The 10 inch iPad is the right size. Because the iPad mini has the same resolution as the larger iPad everything is shrunken so all the text and buttons and things are just smaller.

The proper way to design the iPad mini was to have a different resolution to the iPad Air so that things are the same proportion as the iPad Air... obviously for app designers this would have meant doing double the work and some apps like games and things would need design balance again.

But thats why for me iPad Air is the right size - comfort wise.

Vyer

Apple will swap out iPads even if you buy them from another retailer??

Yeah, the iDevices have a one year warranty (more if you get Applecare I suppose) and apple support will cover anything under that warranty. So it doesn't matter where you bought your iPad Air, for example: dead pixels are covered under warranty. Make an appointment at an Apple Store, they'll check it out and swap it.

The only thing they won't do is a straight return, obviously, as it was purchased from a different retailer.

RkOwnage

Sold my Nexus 7 (won it in a contest at work) because I'd rather have an iPad again. I had an iPad 2 and loved it, but I am having a serious dilemma between the iPad Air and the iPad Mini w/ Retina. Is it really $100 more just for 2 inches of screen space? Is there no performance upgrade at all?

My wife has an iPad mini and I like the feel of it, and if the $100 difference really is for 2 extra inches of screen size, I may very well hold off for the iPad M w/ R. Thoughts?

Alchemy

Sold my Nexus 7 (won it in a contest at work) because I'd rather have an iPad again. I had an iPad 2 and loved it, but I am having a serious dilemma between the iPad Air and the iPad Mini w/ Retina. Is it really $100 more just for 2 inches of screen space? Is there no performance upgrade at all?

My wife has an iPad mini and I like the feel of it, and if the $100 difference really is for 2 extra inches of screen size, I may very well hold off for the iPad M w/ R. Thoughts?

Sounds like you want the mini, so wait for the mini retina.

leng jai

Have you physically held the Mini yet? You should do that first before making any decisions.

If you're unsure always buy direct from Apple. They are very flexible when it comes to returns.

Guess Who

Banned

The Air is likely to perform very slightly better than the mini due to the bigger chassis (and thus better thermals and therefore it can operate at peak performance for longer), but it's unlikely to be a noticeable difference in most situations.

Ultimately it comes down to what screen size you prefer.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Currys and PC world in the UK are doing a cashback deal on tablets at the moment - £30 back from a 16/32GB ipad air, or £50 off a 64GB air (or higher). Also off ipad mini and 2, and android tablets.

So only £369 for a 16GB ipad air - almost 10% off which is pretty good this soon after launch. Almost regret buying from apple on day one.

LeleSocho

Banned
Serious question, but how can you even see the dead pixels on a retina display? Isn't the whole point that it's such a high res that you can't see them? They are like impossibly tiny!

In situation of high contrast (black pixel on white background) is very easy to notice.

Mindwipe

Currys and PC world in the UK are doing a cashback deal on tablets at the moment - £30 back from a 16/32GB ipad air, or £50 off a 64GB air (or higher). Also off ipad mini and 2, and android tablets.

So only £369 for a 16GB ipad air - almost 10% off which is pretty good this soon after launch. Almost regret buying from apple on day one.

Tesco Direct are doing it for £369 upfront with a voucher, no cashback required. http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ipa...stock-tesco-direct-with-30-00-off-369-1696696

(edit, already gone, sorry)

Deadstar

What's everyone been getting for battery life? I've kept mine in standby and have downloaded apps, opened programs, browsed the web and played some games and it only lasted me 7 hours and 22 minutes. Is it expected that the battery will drain a lot faster when playing games? I played some infinity blade II.

Deku Tree

What's everyone been getting for battery life? I've kept mine in standby and have downloaded apps, opened programs, browsed the web and played some games and it only lasted me 7 hours and 22 minutes. Is it expected that the battery will drain a lot faster when playing games? I played some infinity blade II.

Absolutely.

Vyer

Speaking of battery life, it seems that the Time Since Last Full Charge readout didn't set after my last full charge. Very odd. It did soon after I took it off the charger but was clear again an hour or so later. Anyone else noticed something like that?

Enco

Safari on my air has been crashing to the desktop a decent amount. Kinda annoying.
Same here.

It's the same with my 5S. I took it into the store for a separate issue and they ran their analysis. I supposedly have a number of crashes (15 I think) that is too high to be normal.

Fucking iOS 7 is getting the blame from me.

Karish

Happy to report someone just sold me their white 16gb Air for $400 on Craiglist. After taxes that saved me $150! Are there good case options beyond the smart cover/case? That stuff is so overpriced...

PFD

I'm seeing similar battery life to my 4. Browsing consumes 10% per hour, videos consume less, graphics intensive games consume more.

Happy to report someone just sold me their white 16gb Air for $400 on Craiglist. After taxes that saved me $150! Are there good case options beyond the smart cover/case? That stuff is so overpriced...

I ordered this when it cost 1 cent (pricing error I think.) Will report back when I get it on whether it's good, but the previous generation versions received good reviews.

MercuryLS

Banned

That's pretty amazing. I hope I can find a good deal on the retina mini. The 32gb one is going to hurt my wallet. Why you premium price Apple :(

BFIB

Ended up returning my Air to BB and ran out to the Apple Store and picked up my replacement. Everything looks great, screen also doesn't have any yellow tint.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
My current wallpaper:
iNlu8jjK7MHKV.png

Sickbean

I downloaded a legit mp3 of a DJ mix from Soundcloud to my PC - is there any way to have that available to stream to my iPad like my iTunes purchases do? For Android Google Play music handles this automatically.

I tried adding the mp3 to itunes on my PC but it doesn't seem to have worked - it doesn't have the cloud in the top right of the album art like the others do.

Guess Who

Banned
I downloaded a legit mp3 of a DJ mix from Soundcloud to my PC - is there any way to have that available to stream to my iPad like my iTunes purchases do? For Android Google Play music handles this automatically.

I tried adding the mp3 to itunes on my PC but it doesn't seem to have worked - it doesn't have the cloud in the top right of the album art like the others do.

iTunes Match is the only Apple way to do what you want (and it costs a yearly subscription).

Top Bottom