• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

Sarcasm

Online in GAF Mobile, and honestly why use GAF mobile on a 10" display? Looks horrible.

That said, gif's hardly crash my Air, it's more when sites go crazy with video.

Well the mobile site is actually pretty great. Especially with touch.

Sickbean

Loving mine so far. I've been quite critical of Apple products in the past, and tended to opt for Android devices, but the build quality really is a cut above.

And holy shit the ecosystem is slick. I think I've already bought more apps/magazines/comics on this than I've spent on the Google Play Store in 2 years!

Ovid

Online in GAF Mobile, and honestly why use GAF mobile on a 10" display? Looks horrible.

Looks fine to me. I hardly ever use the regular GAF site.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm thinking of returning mine tomorrow for the same reasons. I feel like, despite the redesign, this ipad is the equivalent of the s model of the iphone series. I wanted to move back to the bigger ipad again for the same reasons as you, reading pdfs is not nearly as great on the mini, but I think I'll return mine and wait for next year. I want my ipad to last me 2-3 years before an upgrade and being stuck with 1gb ram and no touch id makes the high cost look unappealing. Every 2 years the iphone/ipad get a ram boost so I don't want to be stuck in the middle of the cycle, a double to 2gb ram would be huge, refreshing is still a problem on the air. I absolutely love the redesign and form factor though, I'll definitely jump in next year.
The problem is there isn't really any other option for me at this point. The mini is great but not great for fullscreen PDFs.

I could go with a 16 GB air instead of a 32 GB to save some money and then offload it before next year's iPad I guess.

Sickbean

The problem is there isn't really any other option for me at this point. The mini is great but not great for fullscreen PDFs.

I could go with a 16 GB air instead of a 32 GB to save some money and then offload it before next year's iPad I guess.

I think that's what I'm gonna end up doing. 16 GB really isn't a lot with hi-res assets :(

Tom_Cody

Thanks for the "blame the user" attitude.

I commute to work by bike and I need my laptop for work so it is convenient for me to leave my laptop at my office. I have a number of internet enable devices in my apartment but I was expecting to use this as my weeknight computer essentially.

Oh well, I'll live. First world problems, etc. I think I just need to accept now that I will be trading this one in next fall and not keeping it for 2-3 years as I had expected.

Aiii

So not worth it
How is expressing my opinion "blaming the user?"

It's fine to disagree mate, there was no bad intention in my comment.

LCfiner

I still use gaf mobile on the 10" ipad because all links are finger sized. Regular gaf has really small text for page numbers and quote buttons. I'd have to constantly zoom in and out to navigate the site. the hit targets are relatively small and close together, even by mousing standards.

Mobile gaf might look a bit outstretched on the big ipad but it's easier to use, which is more important to me. plus, yeah, it has some nice features like embedded youtube and tap-to-gif buttons.

Deku Tree

It is weird that the iPad iOS 7 music app does not have album view like on the Mac. Specifically everything is already there... The album art is loaded into the Music App, and the apple ipad remote app has album view for control of iTunes on the desktop. So I am not sure why the iPad music app does not have album view...

Tom_Cody

How is expressing my opinion "blaming the user?"

It's fine to disagree mate, there was no bad intention in my comment.
Sorry if I'm a bit sore about this. I don't really have any hard feelings. Anyway, this is how interpreted our exchange:

Me: My new $700 device crashes when I browse certainly parts of GAF, I expected it to be able to fully handle GAF.

Your response: You're wrong for wanting to browse GAF on your new $700 device.

-exchange takes place on GAF-

Sickbean

It is weird that the iPad iOS 7 music app does not have album view like on the Mac. Specifically everything is already there... The album art is loaded into the Music App, and the apple ipad remote app has album view for control of iTunes on the desktop. So I am not sure why the iPad music app does not have album view...

I'm glad you said this - I've been trying to figure out how to get to album view all weekend!

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Huh. I have album view. Do you mean a specific album view?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So as some of you know I sold my iPad 3 a while back.

I finally put the money in my account to go to the apple store and buy an iPad Air. I went in there and played with one for about 30 minutes. I ended up walking out.

I don't know why I am so gun shy about this model. I do the 2 year upgrade consistently on the ipad and the iphone.

I wish they increased the RAM and I wish they put in the fingerprint sensor. The redesign and the internals are great. It's just going to take me some more time to figure out what I want to do.

The Mini will be too small to read fullscreen pdfs. I commonly use my iPad to read research papers and edit pdfs.

what magical things do you think Apple will put in next year's model that make it worth waiting for, and depriving yourself of a device that you enjoy using right now?

Just seems odd to me. It is a noticeable speed increase over the ipad 3, it is also quite a bit lighter and thinner. It is more of a step up Vs your ipad 3 than many iterations of products are.

Just buy one and then if rumours start circling about something amazing next year, you can sell it and upgrade for very little extra.

Blackhead

Redarse

So neither JR nor B&H have the iPad Air available online. Any other places to order tax-free?

what magical things do you think Apple will put in next year's model that make it worth waiting for, and depriving yourself of a device that you enjoy using right now?

Just seems odd to me. It is a noticeable speed increase over the ipad 3, it is also quite a bit lighter and thinner. It is more of a step up Vs your ipad 3 than many iterations of products are.

Just buy one and then if rumours start circling about something amazing next year, you can sell it and upgrade for very little extra.

He bought an iPad 3 32GB Wifi for $600 (+tax) and sold 18 months later for $350. It's bit more than "very little extra"

Ovid

IMO, unless you take your iPad out of the house and lock it, TouchID is worthless.

So TouchID, new processor and upgraded camera. I really don't see the big deal about waiting a year for that.

Deku Tree

Charges tax.

Oh I thought you had a real reason to not pay tax like buying for a non-profit (like how I won't pay tax on my iPad Air). I am guessing you just want to buy from an out of state store so that you don't pay tax. Ok in that case you are correct.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Sorry if I'm a bit sore about this. I don't really have any hard feelings. Anyway, this is how interpreted our exchange:

Me: My new $700 device crashes when I browse certainly parts of GAF, I expected it to be able to fully handle GAF.

Your response: You're wrong for wanting to browse GAF on your new $700 device.

-exchange takes place on GAF-

I think you missed his note. He wasn't saying not to browse Gaf on it, he was saying don't use the mobile site, use the full site. Unless I'm confused. You should be able to use the full Gaf site on your iPad. Maybe it would be better for gifs.

Back on the main topic, I'm glad to see the Air is nice. Waiting for that mini.

TxdoHawk

He bought an iPad 3 32GB Wifi for $600 (+tax) and sold 18 months later for $350. It's bit more than "very little extra"

To be fair, the three is the most unpopular in the short history of iPads, plus that still only works out to ~$13 a month in lost value.

Really, I don't know what else one would do in this situation. Is the money saved worth not having a tablet for a year? He could purchase a refurb 4th gen at a discount, but once you factor in how that one will maintain its value versus the new model, you probably wouldn't wind up saving much.

Plus, while it's likely, there's no concrete assurances that Apple will bump the RAM in next year's model.

BFIB

To be fair, the three is the most unpopular in the short history of iPads, plus that still only works out to ~$13 a month in lost value.

Really, I don't know what else one would do in this situation. Is the money saved worth not having a tablet for a year? He could purchase a refurb 4th gen at a discount, but once you factor in how that one will maintain its value versus the new model, you probably wouldn't wind up saving much.

Plus, while it's likely, there's no concrete assurances that Apple will bump the RAM in next year's model.

Pretty much what I was going to say. My guess it the Air next year gets the usual spec bump, but no fingerprint sensor.

That will be on the new iPad Pro, which will probably see the RAM bump, and compete with Surface with more MacBook Pro functionality.

Tom_Cody

I think you missed his note. He wasn't saying not to browse Gaf on it, he was saying don't use the mobile site, use the full site. Unless I'm confused. You should be able to use the full Gaf site on your iPad. Maybe it would be better for gifs.

Back on the main topic, I'm glad to see the Air is nice. Waiting for that mini.
Hmm, I didn't even think of that. I haven't tried the full GAF site on it. The mobile one looks good on the screen and I didn't conceive that it the full site would actually function better.

Can anyone comment on this?

Deku Tree

Pretty much what I was going to say. My guess it the Air next year gets the usual spec bump, but no fingerprint sensor.

That will be on the new iPad Pro, which will probably see the RAM bump, and compete with Surface with more MacBook Pro functionality.

Why would Apple compete with a device that so far sells close to nothing?

BFIB

Why would Apple compete with a device that so far sells close to nothing?

Right now, its not a big market, but the Surface Pro 2 is making a lot of people turn their heads, especially when it comes to productivity.

And, just looking at Apple's history, rebranding the iPad the Air, my guess is that they have something else in the works next year for the iPad line.

But it could all be nothing too.

Right now, its not a big market, but the Surface Pro 2 is making a lot of people turn their heads, especially when it comes to productivity.

And, just looking at Apple's history, rebranding the iPad the Air, my guess is that they have something else in the works next year for the iPad line.

But it could all be nothing too.

if they cared that much, they really should actually attempt to make an OS that takes advantage of the tablet form factor instead of just blowing up the phone OS.

jts

...hate me...
if they cared that much, they really should actually attempt to make an OS that takes advantage of the tablet form factor instead of just blowing up the phone OS.
tumblr_m4czsl2c0J1qb5gkjo1_400.jpg

no seriously, ios7 on ipad feels so halfassed. they didn't even showcase it during the ios7 conference.

4 finger up for taskbar just feels weird with the cards. Still no weather or calculator app for some reason. folders should hold way more items per screen. etc. etc.

ios 7 was made for iphones... and then kinda shoehorned onto ipad. hopefully ios8 does something about that.

Enco

Bought a cheap back cover (TeckNet) for the Air.

Was either that or a sleeve. I'll see how it feels and hopefully after a while more options will be available.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
surely the mobile site is better on the ipad? Turn off animated gifs in the settings, and if you want to view one you can just tap on it.

I can't see any situation where the larger full website would be less demanding

So you guys think 7.1 will hit when the retina mini ships this month? Need that new ipad air wallpaper and some more polish to iOS.

Still very impressed with the air after a good weekend of use.

Mogwai

no seriously, ios7 on ipad feels so halfassed. they didn't even showcase it during the ios7 conference.

4 finger up for taskbar just feels weird with the cards. Still no weather or calculator app for some reason. folders should hold way more items per screen. etc. etc.

ios 7 was made for iphones... and then kinda shoehorned onto ipad. hopefully ios8 does something about that.

iOS 7 is CURRENTLY optimized for iPhone. They are not idiots at Apple. Of course iOS 7 was also made for iPad, and iPod for that matter. But I agree that it's not optimized, but it doesn't feel as out-of-place as you make it.

Regarding the weather and calculator apps: Those you'll probably have to wait until forever to get. If Apple wanted to make them, it would most likely have happened years ago.

Tom_Cody

surely the mobile site is better on the ipad? Turn off animated gifs in the settings, and if you want to view one you can just tap on it.

I can't see any situation where the larger full website would be less demanding
:/

One would assume so. I'm very confused by some of the posts on this page.

Deku Tree

Weather App: The Weather Channel (free)
Calculator App: Digits (99c) (I got it during a free sale)

Both have native iPad and iPhone versions. Both are much better than Apples built in Apps IMO.

iOS 7 is CURRENTLY optimized for iPhone. They are not idiots at Apple. Of course iOS 7 was also made for iPad, and iPod for that matter. But I agree that it's not optimized, but it doesn't feel as out-of-place as you make it.

Regarding the weather and calculator apps: Those you'll probably have to wait until forever to get. If Apple wanted to make them, it would most likely have happened years ago.

It's not just iOS7 though. iOS in general is geared phone first and does very little to take advantage of the iPad. It's just much more glaring in iOS7. This has always been the case though.

LCfiner

Right now Apple doesn’t really care if you want to use the ipad for “serious productivity”. They’re pretty happy selling it for more basic productivity. stuff like email triage or relatively isolated work for document editing.

I still don’t think the “Air” moniker implies a “Pro” ipad next year as that would imply a new operating system hybrid that I really don’t think Apple would want to ship anytime soon. they may be working on stuff behind the scenes but I don’t see anything more PC-like hitting the iPad scene.

Top Bottom