• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

solarus

It's not just iOS7 though. iOS in general is geared phone first and does very little to take advantage of the iPad. It's just much more glaring in iOS7. This has always been the case though.
Yup, opening a folder is the most obvious flaw, why the fuck does it not utilise the screen space to show more apps, fix this shit apple.

PFD

Right now Apple doesn’t really care if you want to use the ipad for “serious productivity”. They’re pretty happy selling it for more basic productivity. stuff like email triage or relatively isolated work for document editing.

I still don’t think the “Air” moniker implies a “Pro” ipad next year as that would imply a new operating system hybrid that I really don’t think Apple would want to ship anytime soon. they may be working on stuff behind the scenes but I don’t see anything more PC-like hitting the iPad scene.

And during the keynote, Tim Cook specifically attacked other companies for trying to cram PC functionality into their tablets.

Weather App: The Weather Channel (free)
Calculator App: Digits (99c) (I got it during a free sale)

Both have native iPad and iPhone versions. Both are much better than Apples built in Apps IMO.

except those aren't integrated into the os, like how on the phone you can click teh weather to open the app. or the calculator on command center thing.

it doesn't matter that much, but there really isn't a good reason why they aren't there no?

zychi

Banned
Any good, cheaply priced iPad air cases? I've bought two so far, and both we're clearly made for the last iPad design, the air slides around in both. I don't want to spend more than $30 on a case. How apple sells theirs for 80 fucking dollars is insane

jts

...hate me...
no seriously, ios7 on ipad feels so halfassed. they didn't even showcase it during the ios7 conference.

4 finger up for taskbar just feels weird with the cards. Still no weather or calculator app for some reason. folders should hold way more items per screen. etc. etc.

ios 7 was made for iphones... and then kinda shoehorned onto ipad. hopefully ios8 does something about that.

Well, tbh if something as simple as proper attachment support in iOS Mail happened, I could potentially replace my MacBook with my iPad most days.

But alas.

That one is just crazy. I always think that the next big release will fix it, but it never does. What a stupid limitation, only thing that holds me back from loving the iPad properly.

Castcoder

Banned
I think we'd be seeing real innovation had Jobs not died. I think what we're seeing is Apple play with the minds of their consumers, and it's really starting to show. Wake me when iPads can do new things again.

Wedge7

Just bought the Air over the weekend, and so far, after a few days of using it, I'm really enjoying it. Mostly use it to read books and comics, but one question I have is if it can play mkv files, and if not, is their a good app or video player that will allow me to? Sorry for the beginner question, not really used to iOS or apps in general.

will27

Just bought the Air over the weekend, and so far, after a few days of using it, I'm really enjoying it. Mostly use it to read books and comics, but one question I have is if it can play mkv files, and if not, is their a good app or video player that will allow me to? Sorry for the beginner question, not really used to iOS or apps in general.

The Good Player is great. It's worth the price. Its played everything I have thrown at it.

Guess Who

Banned

VLC is available for iOS. On the Air it'll probably play almost any MKV you throw at it.

GusBus

It's playing is well worth it. Licensed AC3 support as well.

Returning my Air tomorrow. As much as I love the screen size, it feels a bit unwieldy, going to have to wait for the retina mini. The size is just better for my needs, the Air is a really great device though.

Guess Who

Banned
Returning my Air tomorrow. As much as I love the screen size, it feels a bit unwieldy, going to have to wait for the retina mini. The size is just better for my needs, the Air is a really great device though.

I'm returning mine tomorrow, too.

To get a black one instead.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I am now on this train.

This is my first iDevice so any tips on what to do/what to download/how the fuck do I delete icons etc?

Alchemy

Traded in the first gen iPad at Target for $200, picked up a 16GB Air. Wife decided she liked the mini's form factor more than the Air so we swapped and I got the Air. Forgot just how damn big the full size iPads felt. Going to have to try some gaming on this to get a feel for the performance upgrade, but I am having a hard time adjusting to this huge ass screen again.

Vyer

I am now on this train.

This is my first iDevice so any tips on what to do/what to download/how the fuck do I delete icons etc?

The apple apps can't be deleted, though most can be moved into a folder.

For everything else, hold down on the icon until they all start shaking, then you can hit the 'X' in the corner to remove the App.

Other than that, anything in particular you are looking to download? I would say just explore the App Store. Lots to check out.

Haly

They just kind of jiggle at the moment.

EDIT: Oh I see. How do I create a folder?

Haly

I found the user guide, so I guess I'll pore over that.

Thanks!

Ambitious

I've tried the Air yesterday in a store. Wow, it's so much lighter than my iPad 3. I hadn't planned to, but now I'm seriously considering replacing it with the Air.

leng jai

Yeah the biggest weakness of the iPad is the fact that iOS on it quite frankly sucks. It's stale on the iPhone but at least it's optimised for it. On the iPad it's both stale and a lacklustre to use. It's the reason the iPad 3 didn't grab me - I gave it to my parents one week later (they love it).

mrkgoo

Yeah the biggest weakness of the iPad is the fact that iOS on it quite frankly sucks. It's stale on the iPhone but at least it's optimised for it. On the iPad it's both stale and a lacklustre to use. It's the reason the iPad 3 didn't grab me - I gave it to my parents one week later (they love it).

I think you've actually hit on the iPad's GREATEST strength - the OS is so simple that people outside the geek-sphere actually love it.

leng jai

I think you've actually hit on the iPad's GREATEST strength - the OS is so simple that people outside the geek-sphere actually love it.

Depends on how you look at it. For a power user it's pretty limited. The iPhone for instance works really well with iOS while still being extremely easy to use. The iPad is also easy to use but for the wrong reasons.

Sickbean

What are you comparing it to though? For me it's at least as good as Jelly Bean on my Nexus 4 and 7, better in some ways. There is certainly less under the hood tinkering you can do, but so far I haven't had to (admittedly I've only been using iOS 7 for all of 5 days).

I've never gotten on with windows phone OS or Windows 8, I'd put them at a very distant third to Android and iOS.

socialQ

Banned
went into an apple store today to check out the air and holycrap its light! I want the 128gb one. nice camera and front facing camera too. Time to upgrade. Going to ebay my ipad3.

Blackhead

Redarse
What are you comparing it to though? For me it's at least as good as Jelly Bean on my Nexus 4 and 7, better in some ways. There is certainly less under the hood tinkering you can do, but so far I haven't had to (admittedly I've only been using iOS 7 for all of 5 days).

I've never gotten on with windows phone OS or Windows 8, I'd put them at a very distant third to Android and iOS.

Usability wise, Windows Phone OS is simpler than iOS/Android and Windows 8 Modern UI is as powerful as Android if not more so (certainly more powerful than iOS). Microsoft's latest offerings are very well designed.

webOS is still the best though

Deku Tree

Usability wise, Windows Phone OS is simpler than iOS/Android and Windows 8 Modern UI is as powerful as Android if not more so (certainly more powerful than iOS). Microsoft's latest offerings are very well designed.

webOS is still the best though

If that is the case then why do microsofts mobile products mostly crash and burn?

Depends on how you look at it. For a power user it's pretty limited. The iPhone for instance works really well with iOS while still being extremely easy to use. The iPad is also easy to use but for the wrong reasons.

What can Apple do for most power users? They use Windows at work and/or at home. There are also fundamental problems with the UI and ARM processor before you even get to Apple having advanced/admin functions on an iPad. And I shudder at the prices Apple would charge, to buy docking stations, add more RAM, expand your storage. My god...I hope they just stick to the mini for consumption.

What can Apple do for most power users? They use Windows at work and/or at home. There are also fundamental problems with the UI and ARM processor before you even get to Apple having advanced/admin functions on an iPad. And I shudder at the prices Apple would charge, to buy docking stations, add more RAM, expand your storage. My god...I hope they just stick to the mini for consumption.

something like that old jailbreak tweak that allows multiple apps open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cYWha8YFi8

shame the project seems to be abandoned (don't think there was ever a working version for ios 6)

VPhys

So neither JR nor B&H have the iPad Air available online. Any other places to order tax-free?

He bought an iPad 3 32GB Wifi for $600 (+tax) and sold 18 months later for $350. It's bit more than "very little extra"

Seems to be available now but you need to call in.

The Air is a beautiful device but I am tempted to return it to AT&T and just wait for the mini. I loved the size and weight of the mini more and I already have a large tablet with the Surface Pro 1.

I am seriously considering just getting rid of my surface pro and getting a macbook instead and getting a mini for light web browsing.

BFIB

Well, fuck. Found three dead pixels last night when looking at an app.

Hopefully Best Buy gets another shipment soon so I can get it swapped. I thought about maybe ordering another from Apple then returning mine to Best Buy for a refund. But I'm not sure if they charge a restocking fee.

Ovid

Well, fuck. Found three dead pixels last night when looking at an app.

Hopefully Best Buy gets another shipment soon so I can get it swapped. I thought about maybe ordering another from Apple then returning mine to Best Buy for a refund. But I'm not sure if they charge a restocking fee.
Apple doesn't charge a restocking fee.

Ovid

The Air is a beautiful device but I am tempted to return it to AT&T and just wait for the mini. I loved the size and weight of the mini more and I already have a large tablet with the Surface Pro 1.

I am seriously considering just getting rid of my surface pro and getting a macbook instead and getting a mini for light web browsing.
Remember you're not guaranteed to get one this year. They're going to be in extremely short supply.

Serious question, but how can you even see the dead pixels on a retina display? Isn't the whole point that it's such a high res that you can't see them? They are like impossibly tiny!

TxdoHawk

Serious question, but how can you even see the dead pixels on a retina display? Isn't the whole point that it's such a high res that you can't see them? They are like impossibly tiny!

Depending on what color the "dead" or "stuck" pixel is and what color is being shown in surrounding pixels, it could be relatively easy, especially if you're looking for them. "retina" is a very nebulous term that refers to the idea that you can't see pixelation at "typical viewing distances".

Vyer

I meant Best Buy since I would be returning my launch Air to them, and just ordering a new one through Apple.

If you're still in the return period an exchange shouldn't be a problem.

If they do give you issues, if you have an Apple Store nearby they will swap it out.

nynt9

I don't know if I have super-eyes or something but I can easily see the pixels on my iphone 5s from regular viewing distance. YMMV

open a black wallpaper. look for white stuff. retina screen means you can't differentiate the pixels, but you'd still see a spec of white ;)

Top Bottom