• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

PFD

Thanks for the advice. I shouldn't have too much of a problem if I can keep the current and previous issue on the device. Though I have to ask how 100-200mb games like Device 6 and Year Walk end up taking up almost a gig of space. I've been looking up sizes of apps I'd download to calculate how quickly my iPad would fill up, but I completely forgot about the extra data they store. That picture is making me think that I may go for a 32gb Mini Retina.

It's not a matter of extra data. What you see on the AppStore is the compressed size of the app that gets downloaded. Once installed, most apps tend to occupy a lot more space after decompression. For instance, The World Ends With You balloons from 600mb to 2.4GB when installed.

If you want to know the installed size of apps, check out the OP of the neogaf iOS gaming thread. If you don't find the app you're looking for, search for its corresponding thread at the touch arcade forums.

Afrodium

Banned
It's not a matter of extra data. What you see on the AppStore is the compressed size of the app that gets downloaded. Once installed, most apps tend to occupy a lot more space after decompression. For instance, The World Ends With You balloons from 600mb to 2.4GB when installed.

If you want to know the installed size of apps, check out the OP of the neogaf iOS gaming thread. If you don't find the app you're looking for, search for its corresponding thread at the touch arcade forums.

Great to know. Thanks for the info. I think most of the games I play on this will be small timewasters like PvZ and Ridiculous Fishing, so I should be okay. The occasional large game that I can remove when I'm done with it should be manageable enough.

MaxDOL

I just got my Ipad air and have trouble with "do not track" in setting -> safari.
It suppose to turn safari color to black after turn on.
I would like to change safari to its original color by turn off the "do not tack" .
But it do not work safari still have the same black tone.

Can someone help me?

Guess Who

Banned
I just got my Ipad air and have trouble with "do not track" in setting -> safari.
It suppose to turn safari color to black after turn on.
I would like to change safari to its original color by turn off the "do not tack" .
But it do not work safari still have the same black tone.

Can someone help me?

"Do Not Track" isn't the option that turns it black - that's private browsing mode. Go to Safari, tap the address bar. Tap "Private" above your keyboard.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I picked up an Air on Saturday and its my first apple product ever. So far I like it and got it for a pretty good price ($540 for 32gb at best buy plus extra $50 giftcard in a week for ordering in store pickup).

I am coming from Nook HD+ and miss the rubberized grip of the back. The ipad is too slippery and I don't want a case that adds bulk (defeating the purpose it the slimness imo) so I opted for a gel shell like my phone has. Hopefully it gives me more grip, otherwise I will end up dropping this puppy.

Now I just need to find some great games and apps and some good app sales since some that I want are just a bit too high (square).

Also have to learn how to transfer stuff like my comics and epubs because with android its just drag and drop but I think its more of a dance on apple devices.

We just bought a 32 GB Air this evening and while browsing Gaf, Safari has crashed three times :(

I saw there was an update to 7.4 (I believe off the cuff that's what it was) so I just updated and erased all the history, cookies, and cache. Has anything like this happened to anyone else?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
These yellowing stories are kind of making me nervous but I bit the bullet and ordered a 128 gb ipad, sooooo looking forward to playing jubeat and reflec beat on a nicely sized screen.

FerranMG

We just bought a 32 GB Air this evening and while browsing Gaf, Safari has crashed three times :(

I saw there was an update to 7.4 (I believe off the cuff that's what it was) so I just updated and erased all the history, cookies, and cache. Has anything like this happened to anyone else?

I don't use Safari much (been using Dolphin lately), but I've had a few crashes here and there.
You updated to 7.0.4 (not 7.4). I hope the next 7.1 update solves many of the occasional crashes I have on the iPad Air and the iPhone 5S. I guess they must be related to the 64-bit OS more than anything, so they should be ironed out in the coming weeks/months.

Eusis

I don't use Safari much (been using Dolphin lately), but I've had a few crashes here and there.
You updated to 7.0.4 (not 7.4). I hope the next 7.1 update solves many of the occasional crashes I have on the iPad Air and the iPhone 5S. I guess they must be related to the 64-bit OS more than anything, so they should be ironed out in the coming weeks/months.
Does make me wonder if waiting on the next model is more ideal though, it sounds like this may be the time Apple messed up most by erring with lower RAM. Well, other than the iPod Touch iterations I thought, should've kept those an exact match with iPhones spec-wise rather than constantly skimping, even if it meant a small price hike.

For those on 7.1 beta, did they fix the bullshit 3x3 folders for the iPad? Inexcusable with all the wasted space, especially with iOS 6 having larger folder

Vyer

I am coming from Nook HD+ and miss the rubberized grip of the back. The ipad is too slippery and I don't want a case that adds bulk (defeating the purpose it the slimness imo) so I opted for a gel shell like my phone has. Hopefully it gives me more grip, otherwise I will end up dropping this puppy.

Now I just need to find some great games and apps and some good app sales since some that I want are just a bit too high (square).

I got a gel case for that same reason. Working out so far. I'll probably get a smart cover just to fully protect it when traveling.

Here's the iOS gaming thread for this month, you'll find lots of info on new/good games:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=726037

I got the 16GB iPad Air, I love it. It's super fast and responsive!

However, it seems after the OS you only get 12GB of usable space? Is that correct? I think I'm going to trade this one in for a 32GB model in that case. What do you guys think? Is that something Apple has a problem with?

Only got it a few days ago.

Guess Who

Banned
I got the 16GB iPad Air, I love it. It's super fast and responsive!

However, it seems after the OS you only get 12GB of usable space? Is that correct? I think I'm going to trade this one in for a 32GB model in that case. What do you guys think? Is that something Apple has a problem with?

Only got it a few days ago.

Pretty much any device is going to have somewhat less space than advertised, Apple's far from the worst offender in this field. That said, I definitely recommend 32GB as the minimum unless all you're going to do with it is browse the web and watch Netflix.

Fusebox

Banned
Anyone having a problem with the tap'n'hold context menu in Safari? I used to hold a URL and 'open in new tab' would appear, but now I have to hold the URL for ages for it to work, if it even works.

Pretty much any device is going to have somewhat less space than advertised, Apple's far from the worst offender in this field. That said, I definitely recommend 32GB as the minimum unless all you're going to do with it is browse the web and watch Netflix.

Not blaming Apple, but I was shocked that the OS took up so much space! It seems to take up more space than Mac OS X which is ridiculous. I figure $100 extra is an ok price to pay if it means I'll have to spend less time managing my data.

Jag

Not blaming Apple, but I was shocked that the OS took up so much space! It seems to take up more space than Mac OS X which is ridiculous. I figure $100 extra is an ok price to pay if it means I'll have to spend less time managing my data.

I ordered the 32gb air because I cheaped out on my iphone 5 with 16gb and I'm constantly running out of room. They should just ditch 16GB already or just let us use microSDs.

raindoc

I have a question I hope GAF can help me with: I'd like to buy an Apple TV 3 for my mother, so she can rent and watch movies from iTunes via her iPad - because she doesn't have any internet access at home other than her mobile devices & laptop w/ usb modem. She does, however, have a WiFi connection at the office and isn't the spontaneous type anyway, so being able to download movies in the office in order to watch them at the weekend is all that's needed and I have a spare router to set up WiFi in her house - but (here's my question) will Streaming/Airplay work between the two devices, if the Apple TV box has no internet connection? I don't want to set this up the night before christmas and be greeted by a "cannot connect" error message that won't go away.

Fusebox

Banned
From what I've seen of mine, it will work, but she will need to have the Apple TV connected to the internet at least once to log in with the iTunes account that she'll be using on the iPad.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does make me wonder if waiting on the next model is more ideal though, it sounds like this may be the time Apple messed up most by erring with lower RAM. Well, other than the iPod Touch iterations I thought, should've kept those an exact match with iPhones spec-wise rather than constantly skimping, even if it meant a small price hike.

safari never crashed this much on my old ipad 3 though. Hopefully it can be fixed with an ios update. it is at the point now where if I'm replying to a gaf thread and I need to check something, I'll have to copy/paste what I've posted because half the time it'll refresh the damn tab when I get back.

Sickbean

safari never crashed this much on my old ipad 3 though. Hopefully it can be fixed with an ios update. it is at the point now where if I'm replying to a gaf thread and I need to check something, I'll have to copy/paste what I've posted because half the time it'll refresh the damn tab when I get back.

This must be a software issue like you say - how much RAM can a Safari tab even take up? Especially one just running a web forum.

raindoc

From what I've seen of mine, it will work, but she will need to have the Apple TV connected to the internet at least once to log in with the iTunes account that she'll be using on the iPad.

Cheers!
I was going to set it up at my place first anyway, so that one-time connectionwon't be a problem.

EDIT: So I got an ATV3 and set it up in my flat. First off: (Airplay) worked like a charm when I pulled the plug on my modem. I didn't even get an error message when trying to access the store without an internet-connection, I was only looking at a never-ending loading screen.
Somehow I find that odd for an Apple product, but what really blew my mind was that I didn't have to log in just once, on any device to watch iTunes content from my iPhone and MBA on my TV via Airplay.

God Enel

Does the ipad sync with google contacts? Some days ago after i got my sony phone back from repair i had to readd all my phone numbers. So i added them with google contacts or whatever its called. Yesterday i went in my ipad contacts and somehow now they are there, too. Ans i did not want to have them there.

I have not used Itunes in quite awhile, but in the newest version I cant seem to figure out how to manage my new ipad air. I know my pc recognizes it because its listed under devices and drives in windows 8.1, but itunes doesnt give me any indication that it is there. It used to pop up on a panel to the left when I plugged in an ios device, it isnt there in this 11.1.3.8 version. Any ideas?

raindoc

I have not used Itunes in quite awhile, but in the newest version I cant seem to figure out how to manage my new ipad air. I know my pc recognizes it because its listed under devices and drives in windows 8.1, but itunes doesnt give me any indication that it is there. It used to pop up on a panel to the left when I plugged in an ios device, it isnt there in this 11.1.3.8 version. Any ideas?

In iTunes 11 the device list should be in the right upper corner, next to the "Store" button.

PFD

Anyone having a problem with the tap'n'hold context menu in Safari? I used to hold a URL and 'open in new tab' would appear, but now I have to hold the URL for ages for it to work, if it even works.

I have the same problem. It seems to be a result of the touch-rejection mechanism that Apple has added to the sides of the screen by the thin bezel (similar to the one found in the iPad mini.) It's mostly apparent when trying to quote someone in a new tab using mobile-GAF.

In iTunes 11 the device list should be in the right upper corner, next to the "Store" button.

I don't see it. On the ipad in General-Itunes Wifi sync, it says connect ipad to itunes with usb. I have done that and restarted my pc, itunes, and my ipad and it doesn't show up as connected.

Does the ipad sync with google contacts? Some days ago after i got my sony phone back from repair i had to readd all my phone numbers. So i added them with google contacts or whatever its called. Yesterday i went in my ipad contacts and somehow now they are there, too. Ans i did not want to have them there.

Yes. Check out your settings by going to Settings>Mail,Contacts,Calendars. Find your Google account and then edit what it syncs and uncheck contacts

sirap

It's weird how Safari on this thing constantly needs to reload whenever you switch tabs. Haven't had this issue on my 5s :/

Yes. The latest chip Apple has on the market, and tests show that it runs up to a slightly higher clock + it maintains that clock much more consistently than the iPad Mini or iPhone 5S (which have the same hardware otherwise)
Alright cool. Thanks. I'm gonna buy one soon so I just wanted reassurance. Can't wait.

This Safari crashing is a really big problem. The only thing I have open is neogaf. Is this something that can be fixed with an update or is it my ipad?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have the same problem. It seems to be a result of the touch-rejection mechanism that Apple has added to the sides of the screen by the thin bezel (similar to the one found in the iPad mini.) It's mostly apparent when trying to quote someone in a new tab using mobile-GAF.

I think so too. Happens a lot if I'm trying to press the GAF icon to open the root forum in a new tab - right at the edge of the screen

Sickbean

This Safari crashing is a really big problem. The only thing I have open is neogaf. Is this something that can be fixed with an update or is it my ipad?

It's not unique to you. It's either lack of RAM and/or an OS issue. If it's the first one it obviously can't be fixed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
starting to use my ipad much more as a media center/rich remote control now. I just bought a new TV which has a decent DLNA renderer and has netflix built in. and I use a Tivo as my cable box.

- Tivo app on ipad lets me browse and search for things to watch or record way faster than my tivo remote control. I can start a program playing or set a season pass up without interrupting anyone's viewing.

- Tivo app also lets me search across catchup TV (mainly iplayer for me) and I can find a program and start it playing on TV.

- Netflix app on ipad again much easier to browse and find something to watch, and I can send the video directly to my TV and it'll start playing.

- Creation 5 with DLNA plugin lets me browse my Plex server with a nice UI and thumbnails, and play them back on my TV.

All of this without needing to change inputs on my TV. Just leave the TV on my cable input and then I can interrupt with netflix etc easily.

Works really well and covers all of my main video watching needs. I'm tempted to buy a non-retina mini and set it up so the first screen is all the main video apps and have it as a fancy remote control (plus additional stuff like internet, PS4 app for second screen etc, maybe explore some home automation)

Top Bottom