• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

Guess Who

Banned
is safari less eager to reload tabs and/or quit on you?

Well, I just opened five tabs with different sites, left Safari, opened another app, came back, and they were all intact. Not sure how that compares to 7.0.4 though.

Since you have the beta, is the wallpaper that's featured on the iPad Air promo (the blue and green gradient) available in the stock selection in 7.1?

This one: http://www.apple.com/ipad-air/

Nope.

Ovid

Just exchanged my iPad at the Apple store today, and the one I got has a perfect screen. No yellow tint, no backlight bleed, nothing. Finally :)

I bought the Smart Case to try it out while waiting for my Amazon case to arrive. It fits really well, and has a high quality finish. But it's kinda heavy, and the triangle stand (folding the cover) tends to collapse easily, more easily than the Smart Cover. Plus, it's goddamn daylight robbery. Cost me $102 after tax. WTF is that shit
You bought it, so you're part of the problem.

lqd

Neo Member
Finally got my Air today, unpacked it and ...
72xhKOl.png

Great QC Apple, let the swap lottery begin.
Also I really need to stop buying Apple gadgets close to launch.

BFIB

72xhKOl.png

Damn, I've been hearing about the shadow/yellowing issue, but on this one I can really tell.

Good thing is Apple will swap it out. Hopefully your next one is perfect!

lqd

Neo Member
Damn, I've been hearing about the shadow/yellowing issue, but on this one I can really tell.

Good thing is Apple will swap it out. Hopefully your next one is perfect!

Apple won't swap it for me since there are no Apple stores in my country.
So I have to try to swap it at my carrier, since I've bought it from them.
Thing is that most likely they don't have a replacement since I've been waiting for this one 3 weeks.
Yeah, I'm kinda pissed right now.

BFIB

Apple won't swap it for me since there are no Apple stores in my country.
So I have to try to swap it at my carrier, since I've bought it from them.
Thing is that most likely they don't have a replacement since I've been waiting for this one 3 weeks.
Yeah, I'm kinda pissed right now.

Oh wow, yeah, that sucks then.

Did you already contact the carrier you purchased from? Can you try to go through apple online? There's no way they can't see the dark blob on the side of the screen.

lqd

Neo Member
Oh wow, yeah, that sucks then.

Did you already contact the carrier you purchased from? Can you try to go through apple online? There's no way they can't see the dark blob on the side of the screen.

Obviously there is no Apple online either here.
I've send this picture to my carrier and demanded a swap or a refund since there is no way I'll keep this one - I'll see how it goes.

dream

I also had a Smart Case at one point, and holding it made me feel guilty. The thing has the texture of an egg carton.

I was hoping someone could help me out in this thread... so I had an ipad 2 which was out of warrant and had become a brick, I took it to the apple store and they gave me a new ipad 2 for $250. The new ipad came with a 90 day warranty, but since it is my mom's ipad I was thinking of buying the extended warranty. But I had some questions before I did, the rep at the apple store said I couldn't buy it (which I thought was weird) is this true? and also has anybody had any experience with it? are they good or do they jerk you around?

Thanks

Big Chungus

72xhKOl.png

sorry, what am i looking at here?

got my ipad air a few weeks ago and now im worried something is wrong with it

Deku Tree

72xhKOl.png

What happens when you rotate the iPad? Does the same tint appear on the same side of the keyboard?

epmode

72xhKOl.png

Return it. Don't go through the exchange bullshit until a fix is confirmed. This is a much bigger problem than people realize. Problem is, it's a subtle problem in most iPads I've seen and I guess people don't look too closely.

Once you've noticed it, though, it'll probably annoy you enough to want a replacement.

What happens when you rotate the iPad? Does the same tint appear on the same side of the keyboard?

No, it stays on the left side of the screen (when held in portrait mode). I returned my Air because it had the same issue.

TxdoHawk

Welp, being a sleeve-style case/naked use kind of iPad guy, I wasn't really feeling the current selection.

Went around forums on a whim to see what other people were considering, and ultimately went with this off Etsy:

tga7eM5.jpg

This finally arrived today. I'm pretty pleased. Pardon the cell phone shots.

rrXDSEe.jpg

The entire front "ivory" portion is a pocket.

LAXfIW6.jpg

The back part of the oilcloth is lightly distressed (predistressed?) and looks nice.

uTbKrFb.jpg

The iPad is secured with this suede string that wraps around the wooden button. The inside seems to be a nice soft cotton lining. I have no concerns about scratches here.

qAP0Duy.jpg

With some upside-down jiggling, you can make the iPad pop out just a tad, but it takes some effort (the fit is just snug enough) so I don't think this will be an issue for anyone.

Overall, I wouldn't huck this thing down a flight of stairs, but it's a nice-looking, unique sleeve case for casual transport, exactly what I wanted.

LeleSocho

Banned
72xhKOl.png

Is this still the glue problem or are actually the screens that have problems?
If it's the glue it shouldn't fix itself with time?

This finally arrived today. I'm pretty pleased. Pardon the cell phone shots.

The entire front "ivory" portion is a pocket.

snip[IMG]
The back part of the oilcloth is lightly distressed (predistressed?) and looks nice.

[IMG]snip/IMG]
The iPad is secured with this suede string that wraps around the wooden button. The inside seems to be a nice soft cotton lining. I have no concerns about scratches here.

[IMG]snip/IMG]
With some upside-down jiggling, you can make the iPad pop out just a tad, but it takes some effort (the fit is just snug enough) so I don't think this will be an issue for anyone.

Overall, I wouldn't huck this thing down a flight of stairs, but it's a nice-looking, unique sleeve case for casual transport, exactly what I wanted.[/QUOTE]

oo thanks for this. I've been looking for something like this. Good to know it's a pretty decent sleeve case.

PFD

When I exchanged my iPad, they claimed that it's a glue thing and should go away by itself. I told them yeah no, I'd like it exchanged. They exchanged it no problem.

Afrodium

Banned
I'm torn between getting a 16gb Air or 32gb Mini Retina. Played with both at an Apple store today and still can't decide. I like the Air's big screen, but also think that the Mini is a great size. I'd mostly be using my iPad to browse the web and play games. I have a Kindle, but I wouldn't mind having my iPad take its place for reading, and I think I prefer the size of the Mini for reading books. However, the Air would be better for reading news and magazines.

My biggest concern is probably comfort. I've toyed around with my mom's iPad 2, and while I like the size, it can be tiring to hold for a long time. Does the Air still have this issue, or can one hold it for a long time without being fatigued. Also, if I were to get a Mini and only use it within my home, would I regret not having a larger screen? I know this decision really comes to personal preference, but does anyone who has experience with both have any advice?

tsumineko

I'm torn between getting a 16gb Air or 32gb Mini Retina. Played with both at an Apple store today and still can't decide. I like the Air's big screen, but also think that the Mini is a great size. I'd mostly be using my iPad to browse the web and play games. I have a Kindle, but I wouldn't mind having my iPad take its place for reading, and I think I prefer the size of the Mini for reading books. However, the Air would be better for reading news and magazines.

My biggest concern is probably comfort. I've toyed around with my mom's iPad 2, and while I like the size, it can be tiring to hold for a long time. Does the Air still have this issue, or can one hold it for a long time without being fatigued. Also, if I were to get a Mini and only use it within my home, would I regret not having a larger screen? I know this decision really comes to personal preference, but does anyone who has experience with both have any advice?

I went from the full-size iPad 4 to the Retina Mini.

I have used my brother's Air for a little bit too, and yes it is lighter and easier to hold than the 4. However, the Mini is even better than that. I am happy I chose the Mini over the Air.

The screen size difference... I don't even notice it anymore. The ease of holding and the portability easily trump the slight difference in screen size. I can hold and use my Mini as long as I like. Plus it's $100 cheaper (even more in Australia, $120 cheaper).

I cannot recommend the Mini Retina enough. It's perfect.

epmode

Unless a lot of people are WRONG ON THE INTERNET, iPad screens aren't glued. That applies to iPhones only.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=723415
This thread crashes my 64GB iPad Air 100% of the time.
I tried to load it a total of ten times.

When I still had my Air, Safari crashed all the time. The guy at the Apple store looked through my diagnostic stuff, saw the crash reports and seemed really confused.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Unless a lot of people are WRONG ON THE INTERNET, iPad screens aren't glued. That applies to iPhones only.

When I still had my Air, Safari crashed all the time. The guy at the Apple store looked through my diagnostic stuff, saw the crash reports and seemed really confused.
I was bummed when I found out the ipad screens were not glued, such a big improvement on the iphone.

Maybe they are saving it for next year so the air 2 can be .2mm thinner :eek:

So how about that iOS 7.1 beta? Eh?

It's great. So many little nagging things in iOS 7 are fixed. The keyboard on iPad is transparent now like on the iPhone! There's no stutter when pulling down Spotlight! The multitasker is way more fluid and doesn't drop frames constantly! You can force the black keyboard in all apps! The pinch-to-close animation isn't janky anymore! And the animations have all been sped up, only slightly, but enough to make it feel faster. Really feels a lot more polished.

Need this! Seems like they cleared up a lot of issues

Afrodium

Banned
So I'm planning on getting a 16gb Air and was looking forward to subscribing to some digital magazines on it. I did not know that they tend to be about a gig per issue, which is kind of large for a 16gb device. Is it not worth it to subscribe to a magazine if I have a 16gb iPad? I can't really justify the $100 price jump so that I can spend more money to subscribe to magazines, so it's either a 16gb Air or a 32gb Mini Retina, which seems a bit small to be reading magazines on. Any advice?

Vyer

So I'm planning on getting a 16gb Air and was looking forward to subscribing to some digital magazines on it. I did not know that they tend to be about a gig per issue, which is kind of large for a 16gb device. Is it not worth it to subscribe to a magazine if I have a 16gb iPad? I can't really justify the $100 price jump so that I can spend more money to subscribe to magazines, so it's either a 16gb Air or a 32gb Mini Retina, which seems a bit small to be reading magazines on. Any advice?

Do you have a desire to keep them on the air after reading them? It would require some management, but it's doable. But yeah 32gb would definitely be ideal.

Sickbean

I've got a 16GB and some subscriptions. It definitely requires management but is do-able. Big games are worse offenders to be honest. I had to delete Infinity Blade 3 for now until I get some time to play it properly - I think it was around 3.3GB. The biggest magazine I subscribe to is Scientific American, which clocks in at around 450MB. I've not seen a 1GB magazine yet - even retina ones. Here's my usage -

Afrodium

Banned
Thanks for the advice. I shouldn't have too much of a problem if I can keep the current and previous issue on the device. Though I have to ask how 100-200mb games like Device 6 and Year Walk end up taking up almost a gig of space. I've been looking up sizes of apps I'd download to calculate how quickly my iPad would fill up, but I completely forgot about the extra data they store. That picture is making me think that I may go for a 32gb Mini Retina.

Sickbean

Thanks for the advice. I shouldn't have too much of a problem if I can keep the current and previous issue on the device. Though I have to ask how 100-200mb games like Device 6 and Year Walk end up taking up almost a gig of space. I've been looking up sizes of apps I'd download to calculate how quickly my iPad would fill up, but I completely forgot about the extra data they store. That picture is making me think that I may go for a 32gb Mini Retina.

I haven't even launched year walk - it's brand new :/

Top Bottom