• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

I'm loving the new mini. Coming from an original iPad (running latest software possible), is just such a great imrpovement in every way. Love reading in bed sideways, haha. It's not as combersome and can easily be held in one hand/arm. Incredible screen and weight.

What's with the battery life of the new mini btw? Used it for 9h 1m and 1d 13h of standby and it's still at 43% atm. Only plugged it in my Mac once in between to make my first backup and sync about 13 songs. Took 15-20 mins tops and the battery level only went up 4 percent during that time. Can I expect this all the time? Find it pretty hard to believe, but awesome if true.

Fusebox

Banned
I have the same problem. It seems to be a result of the touch-rejection mechanism that Apple has added to the sides of the screen by the thin bezel (similar to the one found in the iPad mini.) It's mostly apparent when trying to quote someone in a new tab using mobile-GAF.

Seems like a solid theory, hopefully they'll fix it in an update.

bro1

Banned
Just got my new Mini Retina to replace iPad 3 and I can't beleive how much faster it is. I read online that there wasn't much difference but I have them side by side and I can see that my comic apps are faster as are a few games.

SeanR1221

Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Folio for 100 bucks. It's great. doens't add a lot of weight and good for typing.

I actually have the wingstand and apple keyboard I use for typing.

I'm currently using a Smart Case, but the left side near the hinge doesn't fold right.

Going to get a Smart Cover and a sleeve for when I take it outside the house.

Yeah smart case looks ugly and overpriced. Thinking of going with a Smart Cover and a backing too it like the belkin sheer.

I had my eye on that but I don't like how the back part doesn't cover around the front edge of the screen. If it fell and hit an exposed part, goodbye screen :/

Shearie

I have the same problem. It seems to be a result of the touch-rejection mechanism that Apple has added to the sides of the screen by the thin bezel (similar to the one found in the iPad mini.) It's mostly apparent when trying to quote someone in a new tab using mobile-GAF.

Seems like a solid theory, hopefully they'll fix it in an update.

It's not the touch-rejection because I bought the OG Mini when it came out last year when the touch-rejection debuted and there was never a problem long-pressing links at the edges of the screen. This problem is new to ios 7 and also affects the iPhone. I'm guessing it has to do with the new swiping from the edge of the screen feature for going back or forward a page.

By the way, you can still tap a link at the edge of the screen just fine. It's just when you long-press it where there's the problem.

PFD

It's not the touch-rejection because I bought the OG Mini when it came out last year when the touch-rejection debuted and there was never a problem long-pressing links at the edges of the screen. This problem is new to ios 7 and also affects the iPhone. I'm guessing it has to do with the new swiping from the edge of the screen feature for going back or forward a page.

By the way, you can still tap a link at the edge of the screen just fine. It's just when you long-press it where there's the problem.

The thing is, when I rotate the screen (so that the quote buttons move to the top and bottom, aka the thick side of the bezel) I can quote in a new tab just fine. That's what lead me to believe it's related to touch-rejection.

Also, I'd imagine touch-rejection would mostly apply to long-presses, as accidental touch by the thin bezel usually occurs when trying to hold the ipad, which is a long-press motion, not a tap.

Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Folio for 100 bucks. It's great. doens't add a lot of weight and good for typing.

This looks nice, but it seems to double the weight of the iPad

Weighs only 425g (0.9lbs) and measures just 20.1mm (0.79in) thick

iPad Air weighs 1 pound (469 g)

Shearie

The thing is, when I rotate the screen (so that the quote buttons move to the top and bottom, aka the thick side of the bezel) I can quote in a new tab just fine. That's what lead me to believe it's related to touch-rejection.

Also, I'd imagine touch-rejection would mostly apply to long-presses, as accidental touch by the thin bezel usually occurs when trying to hold the ipad, which is a long-press motion, not a tap.

I'm telling you, in ios 6 the touch-rejection worked perfectly on my Mini AND it never messed up a long-press at the edge of the screen. The touch-rejection only works when a certain amount of surface area is being held at the edge of the screen, like when you're gripping the iPad with your thumb. If you use that same thumb and held the edge of the screen with only the tip of your thumb, touch-rejection won't activate and it will activate a long press if a link or text is there.

I can't state this enough. It worked perfectly like this on my Mini on ios 6. On that same Mini ios 7 broke long pressing at the edge of the screen. Tapping the edge of the screen is still completely fine for me. I'm still convinced that it's a problem from adding the edge swiping in ios 7 and hopefully it gets fixed in ios 7.1.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
What is the over under on there being another "good" Target deal before Christmas? I couldn't get there in time for the Black Friday deal (and I sure as shit wasn't going out on thanksgiving).

They have 30 dollar gift card this week, but I am hoping they do at least 50 dollar gift card before Christmas. :/

Jag

If you have American Express points they are offering 20% off Apple products. I ordered my 32GB Wifi Air for 101,000 points shipped.

kagete

If you have American Express points they are offering 20% off Apple products. I ordered my 32GB Wifi Air for 101,000 points shipped.

And this is how i learned that the Delta Skymiles Amex doesn't have points. SkyPesos indeed, what a terrible card :(

Jag

I know there have been recommendations of smart cases for the Air, but any recommendations for smart covers, not a case? The ipad is going to mostly be at home with me.

Alchemy

I know there have been recommendations of smart cases for the Air, but any recommendations for smart covers, not a case? The ipad is going to mostly be at home with me.

I got the Apple Smart Cover, I like it. Probably some better bang for the buck covers out there, but I was intent on getting a RED cover for my White iPad Air so it made sense when I used Pokemon wallpapers.

Big Chungus

Anyone else have this problem with their smart case?

4VZ47ll.jpg

Not my picture but that's what my smart case looks like, it won't fold down properly.

TUSR

Banned
So I found a good home/buyer for my iPad 2 64GB model. Going to get myself a 32GB Air for taking notes on next year in school.

Are tablet pens still fucking awful?

I just picked up a Roocase Origami. They're pretty cheap so I really only intended to use it as a stopgap. But it's lovely, I think this will do just fine.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
I have an ipad retina, does it worth to buy an air?

alekth

Woah, got my Air coming from an iPad3, and while I do like the weight, it feels so much cheaper and plasticky, including the screen, this is definitely not the same material as iPad3 and the iPhones.

Vyer

Woah, got my Air coming from an iPad3, and while I do like the weight, it feels so much cheaper and plasticky, including the screen, this is definitely not the same material as iPad3 and the iPhones.

The screen is a different material, more flexible and less weight, but overall I don't think it feels cheaper at all. I think it has a nicer feel than the old 3 I had.

Anyone else have this problem with their smart case?

Not my picture but that's what my smart case looks like, it won't fold down properly.

Yep, that's why I'm returning it (also need to get a new Air replacement due to some really bad backlight bleeding) and getting a Smart Cover + sleeve.

PFD

Where the **** is iOS7.1? Too many internal 7.1 betas IMO.

I was hoping we would see it this month, but I don't think it's gonna happen. For reference, iOS 6.1 beta came out Nov 1st, but the final version of 6.1 did not come out until January 28th.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
hey guys is the crash on Safari THAT bad? Im reading that people is getting a lot of crashes.

I have an iPad 4 and I barely have any issue. For example I read that if you open a twitter account on safari and load a lot of post it will crash, but such thing isn't happening on my ipad 4. And i have the latest iOS 7

rezuth

hey guys is the crash on Safari THAT bad? Im reading that people is getting a lot of crashes.

I have an iPad 4 and I barely have any issue. For example I read that if you open a twitter account on safari and load a lot of post it will crash, but such thing isn't happening on my ipad 4. And i have the latest iOS 7

This issue mostly affects 64-bit hardware like the new iPad Air/Mini Retina and iPhone 5S which runs iOS at 64-bit which seems a bit unstable atm.

Carlisle

I ended up getting the Photive Case. I'm very happy with it so far. It's got a slim profile and a very nice soft feel (probably my favorite thing about it). The folds are slightly different from the Apple smart cover, which is good and bad. On the one hand it can be a little awkward finding a comfortable fold for when you're wrapping the cover behind (with the SC, I'd always fold in half, but there's no crease at that point for this one). But then it's also much sturdier as a stand than the smart cover. For example, it bugged me how in order to strongly stand your iPad up with the smart cover, you had to have the microfiber side out. The photive works with the outside out and it's a stiffer hold.

It's pretty light, though personally I was hoping for slightly lighter (it's 0.5 lb). But the protection it offers in exchange is much better than what I'd have gotten with a lighter case.

I think I'm going to stick with it. It scratches the most itches at once and does it better than most other cases I saw. Great profile and feel, stronger stand, great protection. Light enough to be comfortable and convenient in use, and a fair price.

Guess Who

Banned
Forgive me, iPad AirGAF, for I have sinned. I went to the Apple Store to pick up my capture card and saw a Retina Mini, and now I'm backing up my Air to return it.

Hatty

Forgive me, iPad AirGAF, for I have sinned. I went to the Apple Store to pick up my capture card and saw a Retina Mini, and now I'm backing up my Air to return it.
You'll be back
I did the same thing and the mini was unsatisfying so I swapped it again

Jag

You'll be back
I did the same thing and the mini was unsatisfying so I swapped it again

I'm glad you said this. My Air arrives tomorrow and I'm second guessing whether I should've gotten the Mini. The bottom line for me is I have a small form factor in my iphone 5. It's fine for being out and about, but for movies, comics, games, I want something bigger and easier to use.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
are there any browser apps that will let me run two tabs side by side? so eg I can watch a video stream while complaining about it on GAF :)

PFD

I'm glad you said this. My Air arrives tomorrow and I'm second guessing whether I should've gotten the Mini. The bottom line for me is I have a small form factor in my iphone 5. It's fine for being out and about, but for movies, comics, games, I want something bigger and easier to use.

Yeah Mini is far too small for me, and then there's that

Damn what happened there?

comparisonfceg8.jpg

lqd

Neo Member
Finally got my Air today, unpacked it and ...
72xhKOl.png

Great QC Apple, let the swap lottery begin.
Also I really need to stop buying Apple gadgets close to launch.
So my replacement come today

afN9COi.png

Progress, it's slightly less yellow, maybe before Air 2 comes out I'll finally have iPad with uniform screen.

(both pics taken with iPhone 5, iPad on 100% brightness in complete darkness, cropped with Photoshop before someone asks.)

Carlisle

I actually have the wingstand and apple keyboard I use for typing.

How is that setup? I have a wireless apple keyboard as well, but I'd love to have my iPad joined to it in some way for a steadier setup. The wingstand seems to be the cheapest way to do it, but how well does it work when typing on your lap, for instance? Going by pics, it looks like it's just two pieces of hard plastic, so scratching/damage is another concern of mine.

I also looked into keyboard folios, but I think that's too permanent of a solution for me as I'd only want the keyboard there for typing and work, and be able to easily remove it for handheld use. I know some folios let you fold keyboard back, but if I'm not using it I don't need to be holding on to that extra pound of weight for no reason, so I'd look to just slip it off.

Which brings me to the keyboard covers, which seem to scratch the most itches at once for me. Especially, the Zagg one coming out next month. Anyone have experience using this on previous iPad models? The only question I can't seem to find an answer to is whether you're able to place the iPad in vertically and type that way. I realize you wouldn't be able to close the cover in that orientation, but for long hours typing a paper, I feel like holding it vertically would work best.

justjohn

Bit of a stupid question guys. This is my first ever ipad and the retina screen looks amazing but unfortunately I keep getting smudges and fIngerprints on it and have to keep wiping it off. Will continuous wiping of the screen with a dry cloth ultimately affect the retina quality? As in over time, will the retina fade away?

BikoBiko

So my replacement come today

http://i.imgur.com/afN9COi.png[/IM]

Progress, it's slightly less yellow, maybe before Air 2 comes out I'll finally have iPad with uniform screen.

(both pics taken with iPhone 5, iPad on 100% brightness in complete darkness, cropped with Photoshop before someone asks.)[/QUOTE]
Happened to me too, unfortunately. Exchanged my Air twice and both times ended up with just a slightly better screen. I've just given up and accepted it.

Bit of a stupid question guys. This is my first ever ipad and the retina screen looks amazing but unfortunately I keep getting smudges and fIngerprints on it and have to keep wiping it off. Will continuous wiping of the screen with a dry cloth ultimately affect the retina quality? As in over time, will the retina fade away?

Just wipe it off and don't put too much pressure on it. The retina won't fade away but you just want to avoid too much pressure if you can..

Anyway I had a kernel panic the other night. At least judging by the error report created when the entire system crashed.

Shit is far too buggy right now.

Jag

Now I'm nervous. My Air just got delivered to my house. Hoping it doesn't have the screen issue.

If you have to replace the device, I assume they give you a new one, not a refurb?

Carlisle

The "retina" refers to pixel density, so rubbing the screen wouldn't reduce its quality there. Aside from that the iPad is designed to be touched, tapped, rubbed, etc. So cleaning it repeatedly with a microfiber cloth won't damage it. Just use your best judgment, don't grind the cloth in with an angry fist or anything. Be gentle and apply light pressure until the smudge comes out.

I only really rub out the smudges every couple weeks or so as you can't really see them when you're using the device in most cases. If you have a smart cover, then you never see the screen when it's off so you never see the smudges. But I've found it's pretty futile to try keeping the screen pristine at all times. As soon as you get it clean you'll smudge it right back up with the lightest use.

Blackhead

Redarse
Turn up the brightness and you won't notice the fingerprints/smudges when using the device.

The "retina" refers to pixel density, so rubbing the screen wouldn't reduce its quality there. Aside from that the iPad is designed to be touched, tapped, rubbed, etc. So cleaning it repeatedly with a microfiber cloth won't damage it. Just use your best judgment, don't grind the cloth in with an angry fist or anything. Be gentle and apply light pressure until the smudge comes out.

I only really rub out the smudges every couple weeks or so as you can't really see them when you're using the device in most cases. If you have a smart cover, then you never see the screen when it's off so you never see the smudges. But I've found it's pretty futile to try keeping the screen pristine at all times. As soon as you get it clean you'll smudge it right back up with the lightest use.

The Apple smart cover leaves dirt+dust lines though.

Top Bottom