• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

dorkimoe

The mini is still way more portable.

Good luck comfortably holding the Air in bed. Or easily holding it with one hand.

yeah because laying down in bed on your back makes it so hard to hold something lol

bend legs, prop up. game over

jts

...hate me...
Why the hell would they call this Air. It's a mainline iPad. It doesn't need any other name. Holy fuaarrrrk. Sometimes Apple loses the plot a bit.

And the iPad 2. Got damn.

Dat A5.

Hieberrr

2mm thinner? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

KuGsj.gif

Eusis

As an OG iPad2 owner.

Best Apple purchase ever lolol, who would have thought my shit would be so future proof in the Apple scheme of things. <3
Given that's just a few months younger than the iPod Touch 4g, I'm starting to feel more and more that the iPod Touchs are just the bastard children of the iOS line.

NYR

Why the hell would they call this Air. It's a mainline iPad. It doesn't need any other name. Holy fuaarrrrk. Sometimes Apple loses the plot a bit.

Dat A5.

ipad 5 sounds dumb. This is a pretty significant leap that justifies a change in marketing.

2mm thinner? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

KuGsj.gif
20% thinner. If you were 20% thinner, it would be a big deal.

Shambles

I'm in for the 128 GB T-Mobile iPad Air. The 200Mb of free data every month is a great deal, and I have excellent T-Mobile coverage in my area.

Spend nearly a thousand dollars on a tablet. Be too cheap to have a real data plan. Hilarious.

Dat A5.

My guess is they talked to the same marketing agency who told Microsoft to call their third XBOX the One that shares a CE market with a phone that already has such name.

I'm a huge Apple fan, but their pricing is fucking ridiculous. I might pick up the original iPad mini because it seems like it's the only tablet they have that is reasonably priced.

LCfiner

Dat A5.

I think they reeeeaaaally want to stress how much lighter this one is compared to the iPads everyone’s used to. It’s a massive weight reduction. Only around 130 grams more than the mini. They might’ve thought it justified a postfix.

Enco

Riiiight...one handed reading. Suuuure.
Makes no difference.

It's far far easier to read on a smaller screen. Less distance for your eyes to travel. Less neck strain. Easier to type with your thumbs.

I'll check them out in store. Any idea when they'll be on display?

jts

...hate me...
ipad 5 sounds dumb. This is a pretty significant leap that justifies a change in marketing.

20% thinner. If you were 20% thinner, it would be a big deal.
But the iPad 4 isn't called iPad 4. It's just iPad. With retina display. My 2010 MacBook Pro is just a MacBook Pro.

I suppose the Air moniker combined with the new form factor will generate a whole lot of extra buzz, but it's a bit at the expense of a more consistent naming convention.

On the other hand, there isn't a "MacBook" anymore, so what do I know. Although that evolution was natural rather than forced.

Going to have to hold the mini and the Air first before ordering.

My ipad3 just feels heavy after a while and esp in bed when I'm trying to hold it up or position it. I can't just plan the ipad3 in one hand.

Going to have to hold the mini and the Air first before ordering.

My ipad3 just feels heavy after a while and esp in bed when I'm trying to hold it up or position it. I can't just plan the ipad3 in one hand.

iPad 3 is the heaviest iPad right? I am sort of used to it now but it's taken well over a year, I have one of those full body covers so I can prop it up.

Given that's just a few months younger than the iPod Touch 4g, I'm starting to feel more and more that the iPod Touchs are just the bastard children of the iOS line.

My iPod Touch 5th Gen might be my favorite device, but it might be because I got a brand new 32gb one for $150.

Wow. Nothing I'm interested in upgrading my mini for at all. Guess they are preserving those profit margins though. I wish they would have ditched the 16 GB models for the next gen, it's really not much space at all.

Would have thought they'd step things up a bit more with the quality of competition they're getting from android tablets these days. Bummer. I like the iPad, but at some point the value proposition is just too much to ignore.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Welp, my 3rd gen had a good run. I'll be popping down to Oxford Street this weekend to check out the new shiny and decide if I want to keep full size or go mini, but November belongs to the PS4.

Um, what did you expect? When was the last time Apple wowed you with one of its iterative product launches? The original iPhone, maybe? Or maybe the first iPad? Everything since then has been the same old minor updates.

Apple is not in the business of wowing anybody but the easily amused.

All that being said, I do think that this is a nice update for the iPad. The thickness and weight in particular are pretty significant compared to its main competition.

Well, I guess as a consumer I expected apple to show me a reason to upgrade. They failed.

MrGerbils

As someone who only uses their ipad for casual internet browsing, I still don't see a functional reason to upgrade from my ipad 1, but hot damn that mini is super pretty.

Mini or this? They have the same specs, don't they? The 100 dollars is a nice savings. I'll be doing a lot of internet browsing and media consumption with some gaming probably a bit of work on it , this will probably replace most of my laptop usage excluding large projects . Which one is the better choice?

Mini or this? They have the same specs, don't they? The 100 dollars is a nice savings. I'll be doing a lot of internet browsing and media consumption with some gaming probably a bit of work on it , this will probably replace most of my laptop usage excluding large projects . Which one is the better choice?

I personally prefer the mini but I don't do any work on it. It's very light and the smaller screen is easier to type on in portrait and landscape. However the iPad Air will be nicer to type on on a table in landscape. The mini book-like form factor is great to use for long periods of time and it's great to bring with you when you're out and about. If you've got a good ultra book (MBA or similar Wintel laptop) then I would say go with the mini. If you've got a big, clunky laptop and want to use your tablet as an almost-laptop-replacement for everything other than intense word processing then get the iPad Air.

Somnid

LOL. Glad to see the performance of the A7 is the new "par." Guess that makes everything else "below par."

Between Bay Trail, Tegra 4 and Snapdragon 800s that power some of the competition? I have only seen 1 A7 benchmark that was anandtech running browser mark against some other phones that were available at the time. That's really all we know about it. But let me ask, if this particular part is the basis of an argument how much could say a theoretical 20% difference in the compute power make in terms of applications and does this justify a 30%-70+% difference in price? Is price-performance ratio not part of being best-in-class hardware?

I personally prefer the mini but I don't do any work on it. It's very light and the smaller screen is easier to type on in portrait and landscape. However the iPad Air will be nicer to type on on a table in landscape. The mini book-like form factor is great to use for long periods of time and it's great to bring with you when you're out and about. If you've got a good ultra book (MBA or similar Wintel laptop) then I would say go with the mini. If you've got a big, clunky laptop and want to use your tablet as an almost-laptop-replacement for everything other than intense word processing then get the iPad Air.

My laptop's battery is shot so its tethered and rather bulky. I don't have to do long papers any more since I'm out of school so that's not a big worry. I feel like the Air is made for what I want but at the same time $100 dollars for two more inches seems like a lot.

I'd be using the iPad to browse the web, read comics, watch netflix/HBO, and gaming (more sim games like Transport Tycoon and not angry bird or racing games) mostly.

Between Bay Trail, Tegra 4 and Snapdragon 800s that power some of the competition? I have only seen 1 A7 benchmark that was anandtech running browser mark against some other phones that were available at the time. That's really all we know about it. But let me ask, if this particular part is the basis of an argument how much could say a theoretical 20% difference in the compute power make in terms of applications and does this justify a 30%-70+% difference in price? Is price-performance ratio not part of being best-in-class hardware?

I might not be a fan of Apple's pricing sometimes (like everyone I want the best stuff for as cheap as possible), but when you look at competing tablets from Amazing and Google they are being sold at break even or with a very slight profit. There is no way that Apple can compete with this on price. Just like PC's before it, you've got everyone on a race to the bottom margins wise and Apple with premium products at higher prices and strong margins. As someone who just started a food importing business I'm selling premium products at lower volumes with higher margins, it's good business. I can't begrudge them for trying to make good margins on their products, they're running a business not a charity.

If you look at something like the Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire, if they were products where the parent company needed to make a strong profit on each device sold they would not be $230 retail.

Apple has sold 170 million iPads at premium pricing with strong margins. They're not going to get into a price war with cheaper Android tablets just like they never got into a price war with commodity PC's and laptops in the past. People need to understand that this is the way they operate and stop complaining every time they release a product at higher prices vs. the competition. If the price gap is too big to justify, buy the competing product.

My laptop's battery is shot so its tethered and rather bulky. I don't have to do long papers any more since I'm out of school so that's not a big worry. I feel like the Air is made for what I want but at the same time $100 dollars for two more inches seems like a lot.

I'd be using the iPad to browse the web, read comics, watch netflix/HBO, and gaming (more sim games like Transport Tycoon and not angry bird or racing games) mostly.

Web: Nicer on the bigger iPad but still great on the mini.

Comics: Undeniably better on the bigger iPad

Netflix/HBO: Bigger screen, bigger movie. Advantage bigger iPad.

Gaming: Touch only games I would say it's a wash, but games with on screen controls work better with the mini due to its smaller and lighter form factor.

It might just be 2", but that's on the diagonal the difference is about 30%+ screen size. It does make a difference in person. My best advice is the test both in store and make a decision, I would say go with the mini before (the weight difference was massive) but with the iPad Air being 1lbs it will make a big difference in prolonged use vs. the 1.4lbs iPad 4.

Web: Nicer on the bigger iPad but still great on the mini.

Comics: Undeniably better on the bigger iPad

Netflix/HBO: Bigger screen, bigger movie. Advantage bigger iPad.

Gaming: Touch only games I would say it's a wash, but games with on screen controls work better with the mini due to its smaller and lighter form factor.

It might just be 2", but that's on the diagonal the difference is about 30%+ screen size. It does make a difference in person. My best advice is the test both in store and make a decision, I would say go with the mini before (the weight difference was massive) but with the iPad Air being 1lbs it will make a big difference in prolonged use vs. the 1.4lbs iPad 4.

Yeah I'm gonna head down to the store tomorrow and see them. I figure I'll be able to figure the difference even with the current models.

Like I said my heard is telling me the air but my wallet is saying I can live with the smaller screen. I can't help but think over the 2 or so years I'll be using it i'll regret penny pinching though. Its not that much over the long term.

Fox Mulder

I prefer the mini form, but can see myself going back to the full size iPad with it being so light and thin now. The $100 difference can be looked at both ways. I think it makes the mini look like a worse buy now compared to the Air, but that's me.

I'll have to go play with an Air at bestbuy and judge myself.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
So we gon have some good sales on the ipad 4? Man the only reason I want one of these things is to play jubeat.

Yeah I'm gonna head down to the store tomorrow and see them. I figure I'll be able to figure the difference even with the current models.

Like I said my heard is telling me the air but my wallet is saying I can live with the smaller screen. I can't help but think over the 2 or so years I'll be using it i'll regret penny pinching though. Its not that much over the long term.

You really have to try them in person. For me, I look at the iPad as a reading and media machine I use to relax with which is why i'm good with the mini. I still use me laptop a lot.

For my parents I got them the mini and they hated it, they use the iPad as their primary computing device and the screen was too small for them. So if the iPad is going to be your primary computer I would spring for the Air and take the $100 hit. But if it's more of an ancillary purchase or you really care about a very small, super portable form factor then the mini is preferable.

LCfiner

I don’t think they’ll be in stores till November. I mean, you can see current models just for screen size but won’t see a retina mini or a 1 pound ipad air

Future

The mini is still way more portable.

Good luck comfortably holding the Air in bed. Or easily holding it with one hand.

Maybe I'm just strong as fuck but I'm not really having a problem holding my ipad 2 in bed. Mini is definitely more portable, but that doesn't render the bigger one impossible to comfortably hold.

Disappointed that they changed the size a bit. Especially since they are still selling the ipad 2. Hopefully existing keyboard cover accessories work well enough to not have to by new ones

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Man, a chunk of this thread is pretty embarrassing, didn't expect so much garbage posting but I guess even innocuous upgrades will get a certain sect fuming.

I like the direction they're going with the big iPad. I won't be upgrading for a while but it's good to see it getting lighter since I'm not in the market for a mini but I always liked how light it is.

Still laughing @ the iPad 2 price though. So crazy.

NYR

Man, a chunk of this thread is pretty embarrassing, didn't expect so much garbage posting but I guess even innocuous upgrades will get a certain sect fuming.

I like the direction they're going with the big iPad. I won't be upgrading for a while but it's good to see it getting lighter since I'm not in the market for a mini but I always liked how light it is.

Still laughing @ the iPad 2 price though. So crazy.

All apple threads are like this now on GAF. Mouth breathers leave in a day or two...

Top Bottom