• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
What is a laminated screen and why do I want it? Serious question. I thought they went with some new screen tech instead of Gorilla Glass for the iPad Air.

Makes it seem like there is no glass over the display, just the display. Looks way better. Compare an iphone screen to a Galaxy S3 screen. The S3 screen seems deeper. Looking around the border shows some depth.

toohectic

They didn't laminate it? Is this confirmed? You think they would since this would have allowed them to shave an additional fraction of a mm off the thickness if desired. There must be a rational reason to not laminating it if so.

Fox Mulder

Stuck with a 3rd gen, I'm still jaded after getting burned. When I do upgrade I'll be going mini, it really sucks about the price increase.

Why don't you sell it? Apple products hold their value well, I've had nothing but success flipping iPads for newer models even after the conference.

Why don't you sell it? Apple products hold their value well, I've had nothing but success flipping iPads for newer models even after the conference.
Don't really have experience selling electronics. Plus I've got a family member who wants an iPad so I can hand it down.

tipoo

Banned
I'm confused, A7 just brought the iPhone to iPad 4 graphics levels with the A6X (a6X had double the GPU resources of the A6, thus the same-ish performance as the A7 which was also doubling A6 GPU performance), but they're saying the same A7 doubled it from the iPad 4...? Yet it's not an A7X?

Both claims can't be true. Unless they doubled performance without calling it an X series, or if the new claim takes different metrics, Apple themselves also claimed the A7 was double the A6 during the 5S announcement, so now turning around and saying it's also double the performance of the A6X is a bit underhanded.

If it's the same old A7, that's less performance at hand per pixel than the iPhone 5S, seeing as they have a lot more pixels to push in retina iPads.

And if the clock is higher, where would the Mini fall?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Meh... kinda wish they would add some features and not just focus on design/power.

leroidys

apple-live-0584-1.jpg

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MEGEATON!

Eusis

I know you're clownin', but for an tablet the dimensions and weight do heavily impact the experience of using the product.
Yeah, that sort of stuff matters A LOT for portable devices. Feeling demo units of the Nexus 7 that's almost enough reason to upgrade from my older one.

Tenks

My work just bought me a Macbook Pro and I have to be honest I was firmly in the "anti-Mac" camp for a while but it is nice little piece of technology. However having to deal with Droid and iOS7 (I have a Nexus & iPhone) the Droid destroys iOS. I simply cannot see the appeal of a slightly thinner slightly lighter tablet running an inferior OS. If that is what you really want just remove the bulky case you surely bought.

GWX

The Smart Case is insanely expensive. Holy shit

It's the Leather tax. The Polyurethane one for iPad 2/iPad 3th gen/iPad 4th gen used to cost $49. I wish Apple made leather cases for the devices I just mentioned, since I will be hanging on to my iPad 4th gen for quite a while.

My work just bought me a Macbook Pro and I have to be honest I was firmly in the "anti-Mac" camp for a while but it is nice little piece of technology. However having to deal with Droid and iOS7 (I have a Nexus & iPhone) the Droid destroys iOS. I simply cannot see the appeal of a slightly thinner slightly lighter tablet running an inferior OS. If that is what you really want just remove the bulky case you surely bought.

It's pretty simple for me, iOS is fast and smooth and it's an OS that gets out of the way and puts Apps first. It's also backed by the best content ecosystem with the largest and highest quality tablet and phone apps. When it comes to tablets especially, apps matter a lot to me and no other device or ecosystem (Android, Windows 8) comes anywhere near close.

People were getting rid of their nice ass retina iPads to downgrade hard to a shitty-screened, last-gen specced Mini just for a little bit more comfort in weight and size. Losing 2 mm and dropping half a pound is no joke in tablets.

AllenShrz

Might buy it the Air if it is faster with same battery life.

The Ipad3 feels slow with IO7 and is the machine I use the most, so spending that money is not a bad for me.

Damn, the 128gb is tempting, I can throw my whole music collection on there and hook it up to my stereo. There isn't any other tablets that offer that size storage, is there?

playing around with my ipad mini case off... i still feel like this is the ideal size and weight and thickness for a tablet... but fuck is the air damn interesting.... will have to stop by an apple store next friday and feel her up.

Akira

Before the iPhone 5S and Touch ID was revealed a few months back, I would've laughed if anyone said fingerprint sensor was a "system seller". Now with iPad Air not having TouchID, even though it's a great update to the iPad, I feel like waiting for next year's revision.

Before the iPhone 5S and Touch ID was revealed a few months back, I would've laughed if anyone said fingerprint sensor was a "system seller". Now with iPad Air not having TouchID, even though it's a great update to the iPad, I feel like waiting for next year's revision.
Seriously. I've had my 5S for about 2 weeks and to be honest I don't think I can go back. Fingerprint scanner is just super convenient.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I want this but my ipad 3 is trucking along just fine. Damn you Apple!

Jimrpg

Mini or this? They have the same specs, don't they? The 100 dollars is a nice savings. I'll be doing a lot of internet browsing and media consumption with some gaming probably a bit of work on it , this will probably replace most of my laptop usage excluding large projects . Which one is the better choice?

I find that the ipad mini isn't as nice to use as the iPad. It really feels like an afterthought compared to the iPad.

With the iPad mini, the entire ipad screen resolution was shrunk down from 9.7 to 7.9 inches... and the text was not very sharp. It was usable but not as pleasing as even the iPad 2. It should have been sharper but everything was just smaller. I felt like I had to zoom in for all webpages on the iPad mini like a phone whereas the iPad 2 was just right.

Obviously this is going to be much improved for the iPad mini retina, but I really like the 9.7 inch screen size and most of the use is at home for me. if I want something portable I have my iPhone.

Yeah the iPad Air looks super nice, but our day 1 iPad 2 at home is running super fine even with iOS 7. I can even see them supporting iOS 8 on the iPad 2 as well. Pricing is crazy though $399 for the iPad 2 - I see where they are coming from - they can still charge this price for any businesses or schools looking for the 'cheapest' large iPad still.

äqualibrium;87123145 said:
Surface Pro 2 for me!

I'd love an iPad but not being able to play non Apple proprietary video formats is a deal breaker.

You know there are hundreds of 3rd party apps that play all formats straight off the bat right?

Ephemeris

äqualibrium;87123145 said:
Surface Pro 2 for me!

I'd love an iPad but not being able to play non Apple proprietary video formats is a deal breaker.

That stopped being a problem from me around the ipad 2's release.

glaurung

The iPad Air will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.

it-will-be-mine-o.gif

Unfortunately only some time in January, when my wallet is not fucked by 8th gen launch any more.

Top Bottom