• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

ReAxion

My Lightning port got dust in it and it made cables wobbly. Cleaned it out with these

SmUpwOf.png

No more loose connectors.

mrkgoo

I've literally never had an apple cable break on me. I don't know what I'm doing right

People are just unnecessarily rough with them sometimes. The number of times I've seen customers who claim "I look after my stuff and I'm not rough", and then proceed to drop and literally throw their items around is remarkable.

I have no doubt he cables can be fragile, but people say "normal" use and they wind that cable up tight.

I've had like 1 or two cables START fraying in all my apple years, over 10 now, and I've had multiple iPods, and iPhones, iPads etc.

I think the original dock connector cable for my iPad ONE is starting to split at the dock connector.

Also, DOWN, I've seen the tip of the lighting connector break off and remain embedded in the port. IT's hard to spot. but yeah usually lint gathers in there. one of the most common complaints is the cable doesn't work, and I try it, it doesn't go all the way in by about 0.5 mm and I know its lint.

Owari

Only thing I'm worried about is the lightning port wear. Mine can barely hold any cable in it, I have to make sure it's perfectly flat and I can't use it while it's charging. Plus I had to buy like 4 different chargers in the span of a year and a half, and I might buy a fifth if I don't get my 7 early. For all the quality Apple loves to boast about they make the worst wires ever. Even my macbook chargers have to be changed yearly. My current macbook charger oozes green gooey shit out of the wires and I'm changing it tomorrow.

Just terrible.
Maybe try not wiggling the cord around while it's plugged in? I've never heard of a loose lightning port before. You must be doing something wrong.

giga

Only thing I'm worried about is the lightning port wear. Mine can barely hold any cable in it, I have to make sure it's perfectly flat and I can't use it while it's charging. Plus I had to buy like 4 different chargers in the span of a year and a half, and I might buy a fifth if I don't get my 7 early. For all the quality Apple loves to boast about they make the worst wires ever. Even my macbook chargers have to be changed yearly. My current macbook charger oozes green gooey shit out of the wires and I'm changing it tomorrow.

Just terrible.
Either you have a faulty phone or cable. Lightning ports and cables are not that janky.

HMD

Maybe try not wiggling the cord around while it's plugged in? I've never heard of a loose lightning port before. You must be doing something wrong.

I've had Android phones before and I never had any of these issues before. I'm not saying it's not me, but the iPhone has become way too fragile imo.

Vyer

Just terrible.

I don't want to worry you, but there may be some sort of poltergeist in your home.

mrkgoo

SO have we heard any reports on the left grille at the bottom? ARE all the holes drilled through, or are some actually blocked, so it's cosmetic? I know the mic is still there.

nikos

Just terrible.

Your port is obstructed, most likely by pocket lint. Take a soft brush or paper clip (be gentile) and scoop it out. I see this issue on a daily basis.

chidrock

Just terrible.

Same thing happened to me - it was so bad I would have to try plugging it in three times to make a connection.

Turns out there was a little bit of dust caught in the back end of the port. I used a toothpick and a paper clip to scrape it out and now it snaps in just like when it was new. There wasn't even that much dust either...

I need some help deciding between iphone 7 and 7+. Is the Plus upgrade worth the extra $120 for the next two years? I will spend an extra $100 for the 128gb storage.

Is the only benefit from the Plus upgrade beside the size is the camera?

HMD

Your port is obstructed, most likely by pocket lint. Take a soft brush or paper clip (be gentile) and scoop it out. I see this issue on a daily basis.

Thanks, I'm assuming metal paper clips shouldn't be used when doing this?

Same thing happened to me - it was so bad I would have to try plugging it in three times to make a connection.

Turns out there was a little bit of dust caught in the back end of the port. I used a toothpick and a paper clip to scrape it out and now it snaps in just like when it was new. There wasn't even that much dust either...

Welp that might be it.

mrkgoo

Welp that might be it.

Best not to. A tooth pick because it's softer. just have a quick look in the port, and note where the contacts are and avoid that side.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Are the retail stores open for the midnight reservations or does apple leave that up to their online system?

Fess

Gah! Can't decide which one to get! :s

My iPhone 6 Plus is broken, possibly because of bend-gate related issues, and I guess a 6 might've survived in the same situations. But going with an iPhone 7 over 7 Plus means lower resolution, worse battery life, not as cool photos, less RAM. But no bend-gate issues, maybe?

chidrock

Welp that might be it.

I started with a wood toothpick but wound up switching over to a small metal paper clip. Just made sure I turned everything off before doing so and was very careful. I also used a good small flashlight to see what I was working with.

Gah! Can't decide which one to get! :s

My iPhone 6 Plus is broken, possibly because of bend-gate related issues, and I guess a 6 might've survived in the same situations. But going with an iPhone 7 over 7 Plus means lower resolution, worse battery life, not as cool photos, less RAM. But no bend-gate issues, maybe?

Definitely no more bending, that ended with the 6s series, even the Plus ones. Not to say that they CAN'T be bent, but they'll no longer do it under everyday situations

And damn people, clean out your lightning ports. I swear if everyone did Genius Bar reservations would be cut in half

Best not to. A tooth pick because it's softer. just have a quick look in the port, and note where the contacts are and avoid that side.

Nope I took my iphone that wouldnt charge with the cable fully in to the apple genius bar at a apple store, he looks at it and says the port is obstructed with lint, he then begins to take a paper clip and take out the lint with that. Guess there is not official way of doing it

Anion

The good thing is it is waterproof now...

So I'm gonna run it under the facet when the lightning port gets dust lol. I have wanted to do that for AGES lol

Using metal isn't recommended, but honestly I just use a SIM ejector when I clean that stuff out. You get comfortable with it after a while. Avoid the pins on the bottom, turn off the phone if you want to be extra safe, and you're fine. I do generally recommend not using metal for those who aren't cleaning out ports multiple times per day or for those who are nervous about it

Red

The good thing is it is waterproof now...

So I'm gonna run it under the facet when the lightning port gets dust lol. I have wanted to do that for AGES lol
Water resistant. Which means a dip should be fine but water pressure can still pose a problem.

mrkgoo

Nope I took my iphone that wouldnt charge with the cable fully in to the apple genius bar at a apple store, he looks at it and says the port is obstructed with lint, he then begins to take a paper clip and take out the lint with that. Guess there is not official way of doing it

I know apple-techs use metal tools and things, but they know better how to approach it. MY suggestion was for joe average to not use a paperclip. Just for extra precaution.

mrkgoo

Definitely no more bending, that ended with the 6s series, even the Plus ones. Not to say that they CAN'T be bent, but they'll no longer do it under everyday situations

And damn people, clean out your lightning ports. I swear if everyone did Genius Bar reservations would be cut in half

Lol tell me about it!

"Apple products piece of crap! My chargers not working any more! Doesn't work on anyone's charger! my phone is broken! I better not have to pay for a repair! This is absolutely the worst thing ever, Apple SUCKS!"

"Huh, looks like your cable isn't sitting flush, and there's a bit of fluff in here, wait a moment...yup there you go...uhuh charges fine. Bye!"

Lol tell me about it!

"Apple products piece of crap! My chargers not working any more! Doesn't work on anyone's charger! my phone is broken! I better not have to pay for a repair! This is absolutely the worst thing ever, Apple SUCKS!"

"Huh, looks like your cable isn't sitting flush, and there's a bit of fluff in here, wait a moment...yup there you go...uhuh charges fine. Bye!"

Literally a conversation I have on a weekly basis

Fess

Water resistant. Which means a dip should be fine but water pressure can still pose a problem.
Not sure if it's the same at all websites but the fine-print on this subject at the bottom of the Swedish Apple website is honestly hilarious.

It says that the IP67 level of protection for water is not permanent and it can be degraded with normal usage. And the waranty does not cover water related damages.

I'm not sure I would even have it out when it rains after reading that. :/

Ugh I was going Android this cycle with the Note 7. I'm still using my Note 7 but with the recall and the new camera on this iPhone 7 Plus, I guess I'll switch back to iPhone. Now to figure out which color to preorder tonight.

As for the lack of headphone jack...meh. I've already gone Bluetooth for the most part. Sold my Ether C and SE846 already and am using my Bose QC35.

I'm on Bluetooth myself but my time using it extensively has shown that it's really not ready to be THE sole way of listening to audio.

1. It's another thing to be nightly charging/keeping track of its charge. My earbud's batteries aren't what I would call short. They last probably like 5-6 hours worth of continuous use before I start hearing "BATTERY LOW". But if I try to charge them every night it's invariably a hassle. If I don't, I have to remember "what did I charge this in the last two days?" It's not gonna cause any mental breakdowns, but it's not at all what I would call convenient. When those stressful weeks roll around I ditch them altogether and just reach for my wired buds as I rush out the door. There's times where I really can't be bothered to babysit them.

2. Another thing worth noting is that 5-6 hours is a lengthy period of time, but not enough to take them through an entire day if I were to actively use them for much of it. Whenever I travel it's very rare that I managed to keep a charge on them by that day's end, especially if I travel on an airplane. Between the ride to the airport, the waiting time, the flight itself, and any post-airport cab rides, my battery is d-e-d dead by the time I'm in my destination. When travelling occurs my wired buds are required. They're not optional at all.

Through my time with bluetooth earbuds it's been more or less established for me that my wired buds are the reliable back-up. BT is for when I'm more chill at school/work or I wanna get fancy. But when I'm doing some heavy-duty listening or I don't have time to babysit batteries it's the wired ones that come to the rescue, not BT.

The "solution" here, to use the adapter, only introduces more problems. More fraying from Apple's poor construction materials. Yet another adapter to store in my pocket and constantly keep track of. I have to remove them and put them on each time I'm done/starting to listen to music with wired buds. It's another thing to occupy my daily headspace at random times of day. Again, no mental breakdowns will result, but it's hardly convenient. And for a multi-hundred dollar high-end smartphone that's all about convenience, it's not a good thing.

HMD

Lol tell me about it!

I was waiting for these comments, you can make any complaint sound stupid, but I personally think it's a pretty valid complaint and I would have never considered putting shit inside my phone's charging port unless I was specifically told to do that.

sangreal

Pretty weird. Music doesn't even drain the battery, like at all.

It's not just music. I use the GPS while charging and connected through car. I use the earpods to take work calls while charging. I watch movies in bed or on planes while charging. Etc etc

BearPawB

Banned
It's not just music. I use the GPS while charging and connected through car. I use the earpods to take work calls while charging. I watch movies in bed or on planes while charging. Etc etc

Yeah everyone who can't understand why people charge and use their phone at the same time have never traveled

I wouldn't have survived my trip to japan without it

DOWN

Banned
What's a good way to test a credit card? I changed addresses today and need to see if it registers correctly with my bank but I know iTunes can take up to a day to charge it so buying a song right now isn't a good test.

Amazon order and then cancel? Do they charge immediately?

What's a good way to test a credit card? I changed addresses today and need to see if it registers correctly with my bank but I know iTunes can take up to a day to charge it so buying a song right now isn't a good test.

Amazon charges on shipping. Are you testing a credit card for preorder or iUP?

I highly recommend this for your car use. Uses your aux-in port and makes it bluetooth.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RH29CJO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ashhong got me to buy this and it's legitimately great. Love it, bought one for my girlfriend, she loves it. Highly recommended

ReAxion

Try not to get it flagged for fraud activity. "Testing" a card is how that starts.

Top Bottom