• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Concord headed to be Sony's biggest first party flop ever?

JackMcGunns

qnwHfTw.jpeg

It’s worse than Redfall.

Damn Microsoft mismanaging their studios! This would never happen under Sony.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Dude there is a billion dollar industry of cosmetic unlocks in FPS games, time to wake up and start paying attention. Of course it matters.
Such an underrated comment

If character design didn't matter to people no one would be buying skins

Totally side track here but I would farm dungeons over and over again in World of Warcraft for armor sets just for me to look at them in my character select screen because no one else cared what I looked like except me

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
They could have gone with a combination, certainly. Then you cover all bases. That's how you make money. The minority of whining screamers they would have lost with sexier characters would have been more than offset by those more drawn to the game for its power fantasy elements.
You don’t watch a superhero movie or pro wrestling to see a bunch of average looking, modestly dressed, relatable folks. You go to see these larger than life, impossibly attractive/fit, hyper-masculine/hyper-feminine freaks of nature engaged in a good vs evil drama.

Same thing with fighting games, hero shooters, and lots of other forms of entertainment, going all the way back to ancient myths and dramas.

And the people making all these crappy woke flops know that, and they hate it, and they want to “correct” it. But you can’t just take that timeless formula and be like “let’s have our postmodern feminists and diversity consultants ugly them up, take away all the sex appeal, and portray them in the most inoffensive and stereotype-defying way possible” and then expect the audience to buy it.

That ain’t gonna work. Just like no amount of shouting about how Lizzo is “sooooo beautiful” is going to make guys want to bone her, just because you think that’s what they ought to want.

jumpship

Post those gifs when devs wonder why their game bombed and when devs post of "sudden" layoffs/studio clousure.
We are just giving feedback to failed terrible product, no1 is crying here, none from the players at least, game had 2300 concurent players over open beta durning weekend, we as players who care about gaming industry are happy, not sad ;)

The developers will be open to constructive feedback about Concord, thing is why jump to the rescue for someone who just hopes the devs lose their jobs all because they made a game they don't like. To say you care about the gaming industry whilst endorsing someone hoping for industry job loses and studio closure of Firewalk is pure clown talk. I'd prefer the devs keep there jobs and you thoughtless people find a new hobby. :messenger_blowing_kiss:

You don’t watch a superhero movie or pro wrestling to see a bunch of average looking, modestly dressed, relatable folks. You go to see these larger than life, impossibly attractive/fit, hyper-masculine/hyper-feminine freaks of nature engaged in a good vs evil drama.

Same thing with fighting games, hero shooters, and lots of other forms of entertainment, going all the way back to ancient myths and dramas.

And the people making all these crappy woke flops know that, and they hate it, and they want to “correct” it. But you can’t just take that timeless formula and be like “let’s have our postmodern feminists and diversity consultants ugly them up, take away all the sex appeal, and portray them in the most inoffensive and stereotype-defying way possible” and then expect the audience to buy it.

That ain’t gonna work. Just like no amount of shouting about how Lizzo is “sooooo beautiful” is going to make guys want to bone her, just because you think that’s what they ought to want.
Nailed it.

Kerotan

Just a minor remark: "whites" are not all the same, like blacks or Asians. I'm white but I could never be confused with a nordic or slavic white, not even a British one. It's ignorant beyond belief to put them all in the same bag.

So, "representation" is not only impossible but the perfect excuse for racist motherfuckers to impose their perverted view of the world and make a Greek queen like Cleopatra Afro-American in a Netflix "documentary", the dumbest thing I have ever seen.

So, these people can't bomb and get fired soon enough and their apologists or sympathizers may fuck off as well.
Yeah I'm Irish white and I stand out like a sore thumb when around mainland Europeans.

I guess even black Africans vary greatly also. Compare Somalia to Nigeria.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The developers will be open to constructive feedback about Concord, thing is why jump to the rescue for someone who just hopes the devs lose their jobs all because they made a game they don't like. To say you care about the gaming industry whilst endorsing someone hoping for industry job loses and studio closure of Firewalk is pure clown talk. I'd prefer the devs keep there jobs and you thoughtless people find a new hobby. :messenger_blowing_kiss:
I just don't agree

If Devs are on payrolls for years working on a shooter with people who hates guns and their product is a colossal cluster fuck of a flop they don't deserve to be on a pay roll moving forward

How many games like this do you keep giving them before major changes and firings are made

These people made their beds now the professor can go flip burgers

PeteBull

Gold Member
Go buy more concord copies then, bro, thats the only way that failed dev studio doesnt get lay offs/doesnt get closed, i dont wanna touch that woke gaas game with a stick even :D

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I just don't agree

If Devs are on payrolls for years working on a shooter with people who hates guns and their product is a colossal cluster fuck of a flop they don't deserve to be on a pay roll moving forward

How many games like this do you keep giving them before major changes and firings are made

These people made their beds now the professor can go flip burgers
I realllly want to know how they fucked this one up so badly. How Sony apparently liked what they saw so much that they bought this studio. And how Firewalk spent 6 years and tens (if not hundreds) of millions making Concord a reality without realizing they were making a colossal turd that literally nobody wants to play.

From almost the moment the trailer started, the audience reaction was overwhelmingly negative. Then when the gameplay footage was shown, the audience hated it even more. Gamers rejected it with every fiber of their being and refused to play it for free.

How could there have been such a massive disconnect between what Sony/Firewalk thought their audience wanted and what they actually want?

PeteBull

Gold Member
Its all hyprocryzy with lizzo- try to compliment ur gf/wifey or even girl on first date- "damn u look just as good as lizzo"- she will take it as big insult literally- women know lizzo looks ugly af but they arent/cant be honest :)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I realllly want to know how they fucked this one up so badly. How Sony apparently liked what they saw so much that they bought this studio. And how Firewalk spent 6 years and tens (if not hundreds) of millions making Concord a reality without realizing they were making a colossal turd that literally nobody wants to play.

From almost the moment the trailer started, the audience reaction was overwhelmingly negative. Then when the gameplay footage was shown, the audience hated it even more. Gamers rejected it with every fiber of their being and refused to play it for free.

How could there have been such a massive disconnect between what Sony/Firewalk thought their audience wanted and what they actually want?
Great questions because any type of internal play testing did not give proper feedback or it was ignored

3NFt1dY.png

PeteBull

Gold Member

Ppl in power are in crazy woke bubble nowadays, those are rich mofos that try their hardest to be politically correct, those guys arent gamers, they are suits, who saw DEI smeared allover the studio and their game and thought in their closeted woke brains this is what normal sane ppl around the world think and want :)

Meanwhile, on PS5, it was in the ~300th position on the charts, meaning it's not doing better there either.

Wait so on PS5 it debuted at #29 and then fell off to around #300? Yikes if true; that would probably put normalized PS5 beta numbers at around the Steam numbers we know of, maybe even lower 😬

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I never expected ot to die this spectacularly but I can not see how they can turn this around. They also shouldn't even bother trying to sell it. Just cancel it, or delay it to make it free to play and attempt to turn it around.

JackMcGunns

Tbf arkane was making the best immersive sims in the business so seeing the downfall was more painful, nobody gives half a fuck about firewalk studios, they were an incognita more than a certified banger studio.

To be fair to who? Arkane is the only responsible here, especially if they had more experience. Covid was who they blamed.

GymWolf

Gold Member
To be fair to who? Arkane is the only responsible here, especially if they had more experience. Covid was who they blamed.
To sony?

To say that something was mismanaged you have to know that they can actually produce something good if the managing is good to begin with, in the case of firewalk studio they could just be a shit unproven studio that wasn't even mismanaged, maybe they are just terrible at their jobs, because we have zero proof that they can make something good, they never did...
I would still fault sony for buying them but that is a different type of fault, hardly mismanaging of a studio (more like mismanaging of money).

In the case of arkane we knew that it was a godly studio for a precise type of genre (even if the decline started already with deathloop that was still much better than redfall, i played both), so them going from that status to making fucking redfall can make you think about M mismanaging them even if it's not true (but we don't really know for certain).

If we agree that the studios are always the main culrpit, then the whole gaf should stop using the word mismanage, but many people are probably contrary to this notion and they think that a studio can actually be mismanaged, a good example could be the batman devs doing suicide squad.

The truth is probably in the middle, i believe that studios can be forced into doing something they don't love and can be mismanaged, but ultimately, the quality of the game depend mostly on the actual devs.
I'm sure that phil never directly asked 343 to have one single fucking biome in their open world halo nor to write a dumb story with a shitty villain.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Its all hyprocryzy with lizzo- try to compliment ur gf/wifey or even girl on first date- "damn u look just as good as lizzo"- she will take it as big insult literally- women know lizzo looks ugly af but they arent/cant be honest :)
Yeah when a woman says “OMG Lizzo is sooooo beautiful” what they really mean is “I have pity on women who look like her and I want them to feel better about themselves”. Like the way a patronizing adult would tell an ugly fat kid “you’re beautiful and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise, it’s what’s on the inside that counts.”

Yeahhhh that’s a kind thing to say to a kid. But you would never talk that way to a person you respected and actually found attractive. Most grown ups (and many kids) are pretty good at detecting when you’re patronizing them and telling them white lies.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah when a woman says “OMG Lizzo is sooooo beautiful” what they really mean is “I have pity on women who look like her and I want them to feel better about themselves”. Like the way a patronizing adult would tell an ugly fat kid “you’re beautiful and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise, it’s what’s on the inside that counts.”

Yeahhhh that’s a kind thing to say to a kid. But you would never talk that way to a person you respected and actually found attractive. Most grown ups (and many kids) are pretty good at detecting when you’re patronizing them and telling them white lies.
Thank god i wasn't born in us, my mom and dad always fucked with me for being a ball of lard when i was little, sometimes hard words are better than make your son believe that weighting 125 kg at 16 years old is all ok and dandy.

Parents are softer than string cheese these days.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Dude there is a billion dollar industry of cosmetic unlocks in FPS games, time to wake up and start paying attention. Of course it matters.
There's a billion dollar industry around basketball sneakers. The game of basketball isn't played because of Nike.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
There's a billion dollar industry around basketball sneakers. The game of basketball isn't played because of Nike.
And a vast majority of people will buy sneakers that look pretty cool

I don't care how comfy they were I would never wear pink bunny ear slippers, not in public anyhow ;)

diffusionx

Gold Member
well, maybe that's not the best comparison...

A lot of people won't play a game because the characters are unappealing and they can't play dress-up with them. That's just a fact. There is a reason why Nicki Minaj was put into COD and made huge news. And Modern Warfare 2 sucked. Even if Concord had the best gameplay, and it doesn't, the fact that nobody actually wants to play as these characters is a huge reason why the game had such miserable numbers when it was open beta.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
And a vast majority of people will buy sneakers that look pretty cool

I don't care how comfy they were I would never wear pink bunny ear slippers, not in public anyhow ;)

True, but the sneakers come AFTER the game.

We like playing basketball THEN we buy the cool looking sneakers.

Multiplayer is no different. We buy skins AFTER we realize we want to hunker down with a game.

We learn chess on a crappy board. We fall in love with chess THEN we buy a $200 dollar board the looks cool.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
True, but the sneakers come AFTER the game.

We like playing basketball THEN we buy the cool looking sneakers.

Multiplayer is no different. We buy skins AFTER we realize we want to hunker down with a game.

We learn chess on a crappy board. We fall in love with chess THEN we buy a $200 dollar board the looks cool.
And I am in the camp that being "woke" is just one of a long list of problems for Concord

I never played it, couldn't be bothered to download it after watching some streamers actually play it but it was obvious for many people even from the reveal this game was in serious trouble

Phase

Amazes me how much the character design seems to have sway over people take that this game will flop ...umm ...so it's a FPS for starters , and 90% of the time you shooting at the thjngs you have issus with .... umm .... win?

You'd think the maps, game mechanics, UI design, gun play, would be higher on the list of things that make or break a game ...but no,instead we see YouTube videos with "woke trash!" Or "why isn't this free!" In the title.

Pretty sure places like digital foundry etc hated on hell divers 2 out of the gate as well based on knee jerk reactions to what people think a game should or shouldn't be. At the end of the day it comes down to gameplay ..will see how things go. But as of right now I've been playing this non stop, even when I have CF25 and burning shores to finish yet.
People are simply sick of it now.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
well, maybe that's not the best comparison...

A lot of people won't play a game because the characters are unappealing and they can't play dress-up with them. That's just a fact. There is a reason why Nicki Minaj was put into COD and made huge news. And Modern Warfare 2 sucked. Even if Concord had the best gameplay, and it doesn't, the fact that nobody actually wants to play as these characters is a huge reason why the game had such miserable numbers when it was open beta.

How would we test this?

Fortnite Battle Royale got criticized for looking like a basic, cartoony, kids game back in 2017. It forced players to use generic default skins initially. It took off like a rocket because multiplayer gamers value different things than single player gamers.

Gigantic has some of the best multiplayer character designs I've seen. Game came out of the gate screeching to a halt because multiplayer gamers value something else. Character designs are shallow and don't really impact your enjoyment of a game.

Last edited:

Phase

In the real world I see strikingly beautiful people every single day. So how about leaving something of that within the gaming universe as well? Doesn’t matter if it’s alien characters. Have a couple different Liaras and Thors in there. Diversity remember? It’s really not that complicated to get some positive buzz. Right now there is nothing in there to pull you in on this new IP, except gameplay, which doesn’t seem to be much different from what’s already out there. So yeah, good luck then!
Damn, can I move to where you live? Land whales are the norm where I live.

diffusionx

Gold Member
How would we test this?

Fortnite Battle Royale got criticized for looking like a basic, cartoony, kids game back in 2017. It forced players to use generic default skins initially. It took off like a rocket because multiplayer gamers value different things that single player gamers.

Gigantic has some of the best multiplayer character designs I've seen. Game came out of the gate screeching to a halt because multiplayer gamers value something else. Character designs are shallow and don't really impact your enjoyment of a game.
If you don’t think that, say, Overwatch’s initial character roster played a huge part in the game’s initial success and marketing then you aren’t paying attention. And part of the reason why Fortnite is still generating gazillions of dollars today is because it has every character under the sun and each character is like a new ad for the game.

Having appealing character designs and roster is absolutely a necessary but not sufficient requirement for success in this space.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If you don’t think that, say, Overwatch’s initial character roster played a huge part in the game’s initial success and marketing then you aren’t paying attention. And part of the reason why Fortnite is still generating gazillions of dollars today is because it has every character under the sun and each character is like a new ad for the game.

Having appealing character designs and roster is absolutely a necessary but not sufficient requirement for success in this space.
That's over embellished by people who don't understand multiplayer.

Overwatch became a huge hit because it felt fresh in 2016. It's only primary competition was Team Fortress on PC. Once it became a success, people misattribute characteristics as to why it became a success.

Here's the base character model for one of the most successful multiplayer games of today (Rust). This is how everyone starts out playing...

rustupdate3.jpg

Nobody that plays Rust thinks the game would do any better with "cooler" character models. Multiplayer gamers value gameplay over shallow stuff like that. Concords characters, comparatively, look light years better. Nobody cares.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Plus, for me anyhow before building became insane the early Fortnite BR was actually kind of fun to play

Concord just didn't bring anything fresh, felt over 5 years too late and they want $40 for it on top of the crazy prof pushing their agendas

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Overwatch became a huge hit because it felt fresh in 2016. It's only primary competition was Team Fortress on PC. Once it became a success, people misattribute characteristics as to why it became a success.

Here's the base character model for one of the most successful multiplayer games of today (Rust). This is how everyone starts out playing...

rustupdate3.jpg

Nobody that plays Rust thinks the game would do any better with "cooler" character models. Multiplayer gamers value gameplay over shallow stuff like that. Concords characters, comparatively, look light years better. Nobody cares.
Rust isn’t a hero shooter.

PeteBull

Gold Member

rustupdate3.jpg

Its manly af buff dude, change it to concord's prefered fat lesbian and see how community reacts :p

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

rustupdate3.jpg

If you think character design appeal doesn't matter when it comes to a game's success then man, I don't know what to say.

Just check any gacha game that's full of waifus like the recent ZZZ. That game passed 50 million downloads on it's very first few days.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If you think character design appeal doesn't matter when it comes to a game's success then man, I don't know what to say.

Just check any gacha game that's full of waifus like the recent ZZZ. That game passed 50 million downloads on it's very first few days.
Aren't gacha games mostly SP titles? Or at least PvE titles? Again, that type of gamer requires a higher quality of character design than a multiplayer gamer.

Hunnybun

It's just bad (but not unlucky) timing.

They greenlit this garbage at the height of the woke, Superhero, and GaaS bubbles, and it feels like a product of a different era now.

Good. Serves them right for chasing that shit so hard back then and failing to invest properly in the quality AAA single player games they rebuilt their reputation on last gen.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's just bad (but not unlucky) timing.

They greenlit this garbage at the height of the woke, Superhero, and GaaS bubbles, and it feels like a product of a different era now.

Good. Serves them right for chasing that shit so hard back then and failing to invest properly in the quality AAA single player games they rebuilt their reputation on last gen.
The character design still look pretty in line with modern times unfortunately.

diffusionx

Gold Member

why are you bringing up Rust? Every multiplayer game is different. People go into a survival game expecting different things from a character-focused shooter. For a character focused shooter, people want appealing characters. This isn't hard.

Overwatch came out at the same time as Battleborn. Battleborn also would have felt fresh compared to TF2. HHow did it do? OW's characters were a HUGE part of the game's initial success. The hidden stories, the wide variety, the coomshit for the degenerates, it all played a factor. Unfortunately, it's virtally impossible to find anything on the internet older than 6 months, but here is one example of an article talking about the characters and how they were made

This is going to sound mean, and I'm not trying to sound mean, but you don't seem to have a good grasp on why people play these games and how people behave. Gameplay is one factor, but not the only factor. People go into different games with different expectations. Im not even convinced you necessarily need good gameplay (Again, Modern Warfare 2 sucked ass).

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
that type of gamer requires a higher quality of character design than a multiplayer gamer.
why?

First thing you notice about any game, doesn't matter which, is how it looks. It's graphics, art design and, of course, character design.

Awful character designs could make you avoid a game before you even think about it's gameplay mechanics, and the same goes the other way around. Hell, many people were interested in ZZZ before even knowing how the game played.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It doesn't matter. Gigantic is a hero shooter with phenomenal character design. No one cares.
It does matter. Of course it matters lol. People have different expectations from a zany Marvel-style hero shooter vs a realistically styled survival game. I can’t believe this point even needs to be argued.

Top Bottom