• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Concord headed to be Sony's biggest first party flop ever?

You totally missed my entire point.

You can say a game is fun and yet it has poor retention

That was my case and I’m sure many
That's still only one individual case, so you cannot extrapolate to what other people think about the game just because you personally think it's fun.

The game is fun for you, but it is not fun for others which has led to extremely poor retention and the game not even in the Top 750 in the Steam wishlist charts.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You forgot to add that distinction. You are not the market. The market has determined to not be fun to play or otherwise, retention would be much better.

Ah, so you were talking out your ass.
No, I'm saying the characters likely tested well with their target demo.
Redfall tested 10 points higher than its final metacritic score. (still low)

Characters don't sell PvP games.

That's still only one individual case, so you cannot extrapolate to what other people think about the game just because you personally think it's fun.

The game is fun for you, but it is not fun for others which has led to extremely poor retention and the game not even in the Top 750 in the Steam wishlist charts.

You are the one extrapolating “the market” and misconstruing player count data for it “not being fun”

The two are not the same

You are the one extrapolating “the market” and misconstruing player count data for it “not being fun”

The two are not the same
Strawman fallacy. Making a correlation between player count and the game being fun is logical. You are the one who is misconstruing and kudos to your projection...

No, I'm saying the characters likely tested well with their target demo.
Redfall tested 10 points higher than its final metacritic score. (still low)

Characters don't sell PvP games.
You say that retrospectively, but if that's what you actually meant, you would've said that already, not now.

Killer8

Biggest? Let me show you Draw to Death on PS3:

From what I played on the Concord beta.... No way it's worse than that abomination.

The budget for Concord is likely many, many times higher than this.

Concord is going to be a bomb on so many levels. Economically mainly, which is what Sony ultimately care about. Critically too. But also spiritually when you think about how many studios in the Sony stable were closed to be replaced by Firesprite / Firewalk / whatever the fuck other DEI-infested shithole they bought is called.

Ape Escape got a post on X to celebrate it's 25th anniversary. No new game in sight, not even a remaster. Meanwhile this slop is allowed to exist.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Strawman fallacy. Making a correlation between player count and the game being fun is logical. You are the one who is misconstruing and kudos to your projection...

You say that retrospectively, but if that's what you actually meant, you would've said that already, not now.
"They did a bunch of focus tests on these characters. They tested well."

Last edited:

LQX

Everything about it looks so damn generic and lackluster. Like how is that lost on the people developing and publishing it? It's like they got their inspiration for the designs from an anime convention. Smiling fucking aliens with guns and color in their hair.

Read above. I did say it.
Saying that you did doesn't mean you actually did say it.

No it isn’t

There are plenty of games that have bombed commercially but are actually solid games

Talk about a straw man fallacy
It is because you grossly represented my original statement. A game, particularly a multiplayer focused one that has a free beta, that is reliant on player retention needs to be "fun" or otherwise, the consumers won't be arsed to keep playing said game. The market has decided that despite the free status of the open beta, Concord is not worth playing.

The game is fun, for you. But based on statistics, it is apparently not fun for most people.

A game, particularly a multiplayer focused one that has a free beta, that is reliant on player retention needs to be "fun" or otherwise, the consumers won't be arsed to keep playing said game.

False extrapolation.

A game can be “fun” but not have sufficiently broad appeal or progression to retain high player counts

See: Lawbreakers and many other GaaS games that failed

Last edited:

Elginer

Are you surprised?

This is also from one of the dudes working on the game (the character designer i think)

This is an over simplification. The sentiment being expressed is that whites must acknowledge their privileged position, and then actively work for equality. It will be hard and confronting work, but if we don't we're complicit. And complicity allows systemic racism to persist."

Sony is fucked if every studio they have turned into a woke asylum.
It’s looking more and more like that. It’s a goddamn virus.

Guys, reach deep inside your core and think if this is the game you want to go down defending... Look what happened to justice league... you don't wanna be that guy.
If you liked the demo, great, enjoy the game. No point convincing people that were out 10s into the trailer.

yurinka

Is Concord headed to be Sony's biggest first party flop ever?​

Like any other company, Sony had many flops before. In case it would flop, Concord wouldn't be the first one.

Do you think Concord is doomed to fail? And will it be a big failure?
It depends. Some people here calls Helldivers 2 a failure even when it's the fastest selling Sony game ever and the top selling game of the year in USA (the main market for the shooters).

So even if Concord outperforms Helldivers 2 people here will say it's a failure.

Remember, this was a brand new studio, and Sony was so impressed with what they were seeing that they bought out the studio and the IP. It has to be considered a big misstep internally surely?
The studio has a ton of top tier talent from ex-Halo, Destiny, CoD and other top tier FPS and GaaS. The first game of the studio, started before the acquisition, not achieving sales estimates wouldn't be a big deal. Big companies like Sony plan in the long term.

After releasing games, companies make postmortems to analize what went right, what went wrong and what they can learn from it and what needs to be improved for the next project.

From what we saw in the beta, they are going a great job in most of the areas: art, animation, visuals, sound design, audio design, gunplay, QA/general polish, some game design ideas. Pretty likely in terms of production they also went great achieving their milestones on time and with the quality they were looking for. So very likely they'll be happy with these and many other areas in the postmortem.

If it has low sales they'd mark it as negative and also analyze the specific points that caused it and would have caused it. Some of which may not be related to the lead dev studio but instead to other Sony teams: like being released on a bad point of the roadmap next to other better competition game, maybe a bad market research that wrongly assumed that there was going to be a market for it when not being the case, maybe the marketing & PR team didn't have a proper approach, maybe the excessive forced DEI woke agenda destroying the interest from the main FPS consumer demographics group due to lack of appealing characters for white heterosexual males (like charismatic white heterosexual men and attractive females), maybe lack of proper single player / campaign modes to be successful among Sony fans, etc.

Pretty likely they'll find out that most of the points were positive and maybe a handful were negative, so they'll be happy with the studio and will try to fix the points where they failed for the next Firewalk game.

But I do agree with you that Sony will eventually recoup their purchasing costs by making Firewalk a "support" studio for other projects.
Firewalk won't be a support studio. Their members worked on Halo, Destiny CoD and other top shooters. They'll lead another game after Concord.

Last edited:

Fess

They did a bunch of focus tests on these characters. They tested well. Just because a bunch of 40 year old, anti woke, single player oriented gamers don't like them, doesn't mean they didn't test well with Concords target demo.
Internal focus tests mean nothing now. If it’s not doing well on an open beta then they need to delay it and change things. No exaggeration there.

And they need to listen to everyone, a bunch of cranky 40 year olds on GAF too. This is why they do an open beta, it’s a huge focus test.

SkylineRKR

Concord is going to be a bomb on so many levels. Economically mainly, which is what Sony ultimately care about. Critically too. But also spiritually when you think about how many studios in the Sony stable were closed to be replaced by Firesprite / Firewalk / whatever the fuck other DEI-infested shithole they bought is called.

Ape Escape got a post on X to celebrate it's 25th anniversary. No new game in sight, not even a remaster. Meanwhile this slop is allowed to exist.

Sadly Ape Escape doesn't fit Sony's strategy, they probably think Astro Bot is sufficient. But AE1 was legit great on PS1, and 2 was very good on PS2. Never played 3. But this IP would be a good addition to target younger gamers.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Really happy to see this game fail. I hope the studio closes and the game gets cancelled before release. These people don't deserve to make games.
Right because they chose to make a garbage GaS game and chose what bullshit to include. Shitty management doesn't need to lead to everyone getting shitcanned. Shitcan the leads.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Internal focus tests mean nothing now. If it’s not doing well on an open beta then they need to delay it and change things. No exaggeration there.
There was no progression in the beta. Might do a bit better with something that important being added.
And they need to listen to everyone, a bunch of cranky 40 year olds on GAF too. This is why they do an open beta, it’s a huge focus test.
I tend to think a studio making a PvP game got into trouble by listening to too many people with the PvE mindset.

Fess

There was no progression in the beta. Might do a bit better with something that important being added.

I tend to think a studio making a PvP game got into trouble by listening to too many people with the PvE mindset.
A delay and big changes is needed going by the charts and talk and your own threads. They can’t go away from the beta thinking ”This is fine.”

Last edited:
Didn't herman hulst say this game was doing some really special things?

These execs are losing it.
Sony already lost the direction for good mp since the PS3 era.

The only notable game was Helldivers II.
They know shit about good mp games.

Destruction Allstars was a flop and the canceled Last of US mp shows they have no fucking clue developing good mp games.

Nobody asked for a shitty Overwatch clone.

yurinka

Sony already lost the direction for good mp since the PS3 era.

The only notable game was Helldivers II.
They know shit about good mp games.

Destruction Allstars was a flop and the canceled Last of US mp shows they have no fucking clue developing good mp games.

Nobody asked for a shitty Overwatch clone.
Do you think GT7, MLB or Destiny 2 are bad MP games?

Last edited:

Aion002

Gold Member

Strictly talking about gameplay and my enjoyment of each game, Drawn to Death is horrendous, while Concord plays likes Destiny which is a great thing for me.

I won't buy Concord because I am not sure if it will survive for long (the gaas market is just too competitive). But I would definitely play it if it was released on ps plus or if it was a f2p game, I enjoyed the closed beta quite a bit.

On the other hand, I hated every second that I played of Drawn to Death, it has been more than 7 years that I played that shit and I still hate it so much that it feels like I played yesterday.

Concord has terrible characters art style, but the gameplay is solid and the graphics are pretty. While Drawn to Death has no redeeming quality whatsoever.

So... Sure... Concord might end up being a bigger flop financially wise for Sony, but quality wise... Drawn to Death is the king.

Fess

The beauty of Live Service is that it makes Miyamotos quote obsolete.
A game still needs to have a powerful start with lots of people playing, otherwise it’ll just wither away and devs won’t bother supporting it post-release. The legendary comebacks like No Man’s Sky and Cyberpunk 2077 had millions of people playing at launch. Unaltered, how many do you think will play this?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
A game still needs to have a powerful start with lots of people playing, otherwise it’ll just wither away and devs won’t bother supporting it post-release. The legendary comebacks like No Man’s Sky and Cyberpunk 2077 had millions of people playing at launch. Unaltered, how many do you think will play this?
It doesn't. Plenty of Live Service games with poor starts grew to become successful.

Difficult, but not impossible.

Edit: No Live Service game is "unaltered". The changing aspect of Live Service is its defining characteristic.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I just heard that it’s #750 most wish listed game on Steam. How much would it jump if a couple of us added it, just to fuck with them? Maybe I’ll add it then remove it the day before launch.

//DEVIL//

At this point, Concord looks like it might end up being a colossal flop, when its free to play open beta numbers registered lower CCU peaks than even an unreleased Valve game in closed beta, or the Sega game Hyenas, which was literally canceled over the poor numbers.

Meanwhile, on PS5, it was in the ~300th position on the charts, meaning it's not doing better there either.

This game looks like the first high profile failure Sony has had in a very long time - probably the first since The Order. It might also be the biggest first party failure since... Crackdown 3? Redfall? (Trying to think of high profile first party failures, and I don't think Nintendo and Sony have had many in recent years - the benchmark has to be MS, right?)

Do you think Concord is doomed to fail? And will it be a big failure? Remember, this was a brand new studio, and Sony was so impressed with what they were seeing that they bought out the studio and the IP. It has to be considered a big misstep internally surely?
Please do not insult the Order. that game was and still is a masterclass in terms of graphics, it had a nice story and overall an acceptable game experience even if its for just a one time play.

Concord is just shit.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
The change isn't necessarily a problem - diversity is actually no issue at all - what has caused the crazy pushback is the narrative surrounding it.
Here's the problem with this how the fuck do you even know every single time a minority is in a damn game if that is surrounding the same narrative you're talking about? are you telling me it's impossible for anyone to be in a game that looks different And it MUUUUUUST be part of the same "narrative"?

Even more concerning is who the fuck cares? who's buying a video game based on this idea of wanting to know the exact intention behind why they made the person this race or this hair color? you're not gonna know this information otherwise anyway I could make the same argument about every game ever made and just argue there's some evil intent behind it....

Until you become some mind reader I'm not really sure any of this is going to matter.
then paired with the constant scorn poured on the white male avatar (I read a Kotaku review of
OK but how do you actually know every single damn time something happens to a character that is this demographic that it's part of that same? Using this logic nothing could be done to a character in a video game in this demographic or it's you're just gonna argue about some conspiracy against them. Even this whole "I read a Kotaku" well.....you guys are NECK DEEP in this culture war shit man, not everyone cares about any of that.
. Thirty-odd years ago, gaming was a space dominated by a specific type of white male.
I understand but the medium isn't owned by anyone, you also had multiple different countries that created games too as this seems to be an extremely narrow-minded way to think of the industry....
The pattern is very similar to colonisation - when there was no money or prestige to be had, nobody cared. The cool kids left the nerds to their silly games and got careers elsewhere, now they've seen how much money there is to be had, they've moved in, displaced the people who've been here for decades
My God no it's not lol, this is like the most saddest shit I've seen in a long time, you're talking about a video game sir, nothing stopping a company from going independent , nothing stopping anyone from creating a game so to argue about Some sort of displacement is even more strange because you're talking about an industry anyone can be in.... You're not talking about some physical location in some finite thing

You're talking about an industry of choice in which someone could just make an independent company if they wanted to make what they wanted to make.... No one stopping anyone from continuously creating what the fuck they want to make man lol

You do not own the idea of creating games.
It's not the diversity that is pissing people off, it's the broader cultural context that's driving it
Here lies the issue, any minority character introduced in a video game often becomes the subject of numerous conspiracies questioning the intent behind their inclusion. This creates a narrative that implies characters can't simply exist without ulterior motives. This scrutiny has reached absurd levels. If you view the gaming industry through this lens, you might as well question the motivation behind every single character's creation or question the point of even gaming.

Game developers have the freedom to create what they want, regardless of anyone's feelings about what they see as industry "trends." If you want some specific "representation", you're free to create your own game.

This wild witch hunt, accusing every single game of having a hidden agenda simply because it features a minority character, has become extremely ridiculous. The industry is being pulled in two opposing directions, where apparently, nothing is allowed in games anymore.
Free will exists and creators are allowed to make the games they want. If you have theories about why certain characters were created, that's up to you, you are free to believe what you want. You can choose which games to support based on your views btw as I'm arguing against your own choice to buy what you want or something.

However, not all gamers are playing for these dumb reasons. For many, gaming is about enjoyment and exploration, not about dissecting every character's inclusion based on conspiracy theories. Based on both sides of the circus nothing is fucking allowed inside of games apparently...

Here's the problem with this how the fuck do you even know every single time a minority is in a damn game if that is surrounding the same narrative you're talking about? are you telling me it's impossible for anyone to be in a game that looks different And it MUUUUUUST be part of the same "narrative"?

Even more concerning is who the fuck cares? who's buying a video game based on this idea of wanting to know the exact intention behind why they made the person this race or this hair color? you're not gonna know this information otherwise anyway I could make the same argument about every game ever made and just argue there's some evil intent behind it....

Until you become some mind reader I'm not really sure any of this is going to matter.

OK but how do you actually know every single damn time something happens to a character that is this demographic that it's part of that same? Using this logic nothing could be done to a character in a video game in this demographic or it's you're just gonna argue about some conspiracy against them. Even this whole "I read a Kotaku" well.....you guys are NECK DEEP in this culture war shit man, not everyone cares about any of that.

I understand but the medium isn't owned by anyone, you also had multiple different countries that created games too as this seems to be an extremely narrow-minded way to think of the industry....

My God no it's not lol, this is like the most saddest shit I've seen in a long time, you're talking about a video game sir, nothing stopping a company from going independent , nothing stopping anyone from creating a game so to argue about Some sort of displacement is even more strange because you're talking about an industry anyone can be in.... You're not talking about some physical location in some finite thing

You're talking about an industry of choice in which someone could just make an independent company if they wanted to make what they wanted to make.... No one stopping anyone from continuously creating what the fuck they want to make man lol

Here lies the issue, any minority character introduced in a video game often becomes the subject of numerous conspiracies questioning the intent behind their inclusion. This creates a narrative that implies characters can't simply exist without ulterior motives. This scrutiny has reached absurd levels. If you view the gaming industry through this lens, you might as well question the motivation behind every single character's creation or question the point of even gaming.

Game developers have the freedom to create what they want, regardless of anyone's feelings about what they see as industry "trends." If you want some specific "representation", you're free to create your own game.

This wild witch hunt, accusing every single game of having a hidden agenda simply because it features a minority character, has become extremely ridiculous. The industry is being pulled in two opposing directions, where apparently, nothing is allowed in games anymore.
Free will exists and creators are allowed to make the games they want. If you have theories about why certain characters were created, that's up to you, you are free to believe what you want. You can choose which games to support based on your views btw as I'm arguing against your own choice to buy what you want or something.

However, not all gamers are playing for these dumb reasons. For many, gaming is about enjoyment and exploration, not about dissecting every character's inclusion based on conspiracy theories. Based on both sides of the circus nothing is fucking allowed inside of games apparently...
lmao, stop repeating this nonsense and notice what is happening around
There is no free will when you are forced to diversify for the sake of diversity
Enough with the liberals trying to justify wokeness by saying they notice "nothing special, its all conspiracies, bruh".

EDMIX

There is no free will when you are forced to dive
No one is putting a gun to anyone's head here man lol Thats an even more strange claim btw, that anyone is FORCED lol Its like....well, you can argue this about any company, it becomes deeply moot. Sonic is blue "OMG, they FORCED HIM to be blue to FIT DA Agenda OMGBBQ"

Enough with the libera

annnnnd added to ignore. Culture war elsewhere man. You guys are neck deep in this shit, its like anyone comment about this MUST be by this side or that side, as if anyone disagreeing with you must be part of this side or group (like I give a shit or something lol)

BbMajor7th

That was a whole lot of energy, but I'll just tackle the most salient part of the argument. Patterns don't need to be absolute to be visible and meaningful and, sure, people do falsely construe an 'agenda' where none exists, but that doesn't invalidate the many cases where the intent is explicit and confirmed.

You don't need to be neck deep in culture wars to have seen this argument driven intensely from both sides. And you're entirely free to call the colonisation comparison the 'saddest shit you've heard in a long time' but that isn't a rebuttal to the point. Culture has a landscape in the way that countries do; communities coalesce around shared interests, values and identity in the way analogous to geographical communities.

You need only grant that for the colonisation argument to be cogent. Be angry and go off if you want, but it's not an argument - it's just your frustration boiling over. If you want to discuss, I'm down for it, but take a breath and engage with the arguments.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The basketball sneaker industry makes a ton of money every year as well. Basketball players don't play basketball because of the sneakers. They play basketball because the actual act of playing basketball is enjoyable. The sneaker industry has to work off that base. The foundation is the act of playing basketball...then the tertiary business minds glob on to that foundation.
A lot of people who don't play basketball buy basketball sneakers. They buy basketball sneakers because they are cool and stylish. They talk about how good the new shoes are, the designs, the colors. It's a whole thing.

Again, you might understand PVP gaming (emphasis on might) but it is clear you do not understand people.

EDMIX

sure, people do falsely construe an 'agenda' where none exists,

Well, this is one of my issues with this. I understand someone can place something in a game for reasons other then originally stated or something, but it seems folks are just accusing any game of doing this with any minority. (now I have to listen to that Green Day song =( )

Secondly, who is anyone to tell others that they must disclose their intent behind an artistic choice?

This is a level of scrutiny i'd rather not be a part of, artist are free to create what they want.

Even if someone disagrees with the intent.

What would the solution even be btw? Put a lie detector test on all artist and ask them to pledge allegiance to some idea to, you know make sure they make what you want and not an "agenda"? Would that not be forcing someone to create something or? lol I kid with the lolz, but genuinely, what on earth would the fucking solution even be to what you are saying?

edit. I genuinely like your response btw, I merely disagree and appreciate the effort you put in the post.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
You're just awkwardly trying to draw a circle around certain data point to force your point. TF2 is one of the most popular hero shooters on the market today. It has some of the worst character designs. PvP players don't care because we value other things more highly. Gigantic has great character designs...again nobody cares about that stuff in PvP.

I call it the Narnia Closet effect. There was no promise of magic, or story, or adventure when you pulled open the doors of Concord. Everyone just looked at it and said "I know what's behind those doors. I've seen it a thousand times."
TF2's character design is absolutely iconic. It's totally brilliant character design. It's some of the best in videogame history. Valve hasn't changed them in 17 years because they are so good. Instantly recognizable, tons of personality in the forms, face, and movement, simple designs, easily visible, just amazingly good design. You keep proving you just don't know what you are talking about.

Last edited:
That was a whole lot of energy, but I'll just tackle the most salient part of the argument. Patterns don't need to be absolute to be visible and meaningful and, sure, people do falsely construe an 'agenda' where none exists, but that doesn't invalidate the many cases where the intent is explicit and confirmed.

You don't need to be neck deep in culture wars to have seen this argument driven intensely from both sides. And you're entirely free to call the colonisation comparison the 'saddest shit you've heard in a long time' but that isn't a rebuttal to the point. Culture has a landscape in the way that countries do; communities coalesce around shared interests, values and identity in the way analogous to geographical communities.

You need only grant that for the colonisation argument to be cogent. Be angry and go off if you want, but it's not an argument - it's just your frustration boiling over. If you want to discuss, I'm down for it, but take a breath and engage with the arguments.
You are trying to have a conversation with a woke liberal who doesn't even have the courage to state his opinion on the subject but always spams nonsense as an "objective observator who doesn't support or oppose either side". This is so pathetic.

sun-drop

take a look around, most reviews hitting atm are praising the game, why? because its good .. they know the devs behind it, they can see the quality .. all the fear mongering is coming from the usual toxic sources. i think sony def fumbled the debut here though .. they should have come outright with what type of game it was from the start, and the intro gameplay trailer was a lot of 3rd person floating around the map shit ... just show some char select screens, and some tight fps action, which this game has in loads,, and they would ahve been on a better path.

i think this game will find its footing, why, because its fucking fun to play.

whiney bitch PC gamers who don't wanna sign into a PSN account, or have some issue with paying for stuff, or some other agenda about the race or sex of the characters .. honestly man, i'm gonna be glad not having to deal with these C$%nts online anyways. i really do think this should have been a PS5 only title .. this multiplatform push sony is doing might get a few additional sales but its not worth the damage they take when including that part of gaming culture.

Top Bottom