• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Concord headed to be Sony's biggest first party flop ever?

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
i dunno if woke or not...but definitely sub-par. Is there a correlation? 🤷‍♂️

Doubtful. Its not as if the game is made by 1 person or that any concept or ideology is the issue regarding the actual core function of the game or something.

A lot of comments I've seen have been more about it being boring or not really doing much new to the genre etc. I'm not sure I can add anything about something being "woke" as any real correlation cause games fail all the time where none of that stuff was talked about or something.
I know, right? Like, Silicon Knights exploded itself just fine without any "wokeness." Sometimes studios just mess up. Trying to shoehorn "woke" as the driving force behind so many failures is getting really old. At this point, I'm pretty sure it's just an engagement/money-making thing. Claim "wokeness." Get clicks. Repeat.

Agreed.

I feel many who are making threads on this game could care less about the actual game and just throw this word around to argue about shit that has nothing to do with the actual game itself. At this point, any female or minority in a game is being claimed to be "woke" with basically no evidence.
clearly heavily influenced by DEI practices
Based on what exactly? I've heard many make this claim about anything with a female or minority, you telling me no game is allowed to have those demographics or its "DEI" or "woke" ?

Make the clear proof, evidence and distinction and we can talk about, so far all this sounds like is people call any game this with any minority by default at this point. I saw a trailer with an alien and a fucking robot, how you got some conspiracy from that regarding "DEI" is beyond me lol

S sun-drop Good on you! I might check it out if it hits free to play or buy it later next year when I have a bit more time.

I don't blame you for doubting most of whats being said as I don't even buy a lot of it is genuinely from people who actually care about games. Once they throw in some conspiracy and a hand full of terms that have nothing to actually do with the game, its like...well we can't even trust whats being said by them in the first place.

Its like, if someone has a bias, why would anyone listen to them regarding the real, honest, objective opinion on a game when they might have a history of these conspiracies or hate towards a group or publisher, company etc?

So...you are right to play what you like and disregard them. I don't know if going forward many can be believed regarding the actual reviews, previews etc of this game based on this bias some might have.

Last edited:

jwaxeman

I actually thought the game was pretty fun, and most of my gripes are things that can be patched. I just don’t think anyone was clamoring for a game like this. I would have loved to see Sony try to take on call of duty, not try to replicate one mode from Destiny or make Overwatch 3. I’m more excited for the new Delta Force game than I am for this.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I know, right? Like, Silicon Knights exploded itself just fine without any "wokeness." Sometimes studios just mess up. Trying to shoehorn "woke" as the driving force behind so many failures is getting really old. At this point, I'm pretty sure it's just an engagement/money-making thing. Claim "wokeness." Get clicks. Repeat.

The characters were clearly designed to reject the “male gaze” and to check off every diversity checkbox they could think of. That’s woke whether you like to admit it or not.

And those shitty character designs probably did more than anything else to kill this game.

I think it probably would’ve flopped even if it had great character design, but at least then we might’ve seen it in the tens of thousands instead of peaking at freaking 2,300 concurrent players.

EDMIX

The characters were clearly designed to reject the “male gaze” and to check off every diversity checkbox they could think of. That’s woke whether you like to admit it or not.

errr not really...

I play games all the time where I don't find any of the characters attractive and I've never made some claim of something being "woke" cause that makes no fucking sense.... that is a subjective idea if someone finds something attractive or not.
And those shitty character designs probably did more than anything else to kill this game.

Doubt.

This is too much of a subjective thing and I didn't see much with the designs that was some wild thing or something to be offended by.

I think you are correct that the game was going to flop regardless, but I've seen games where I think the design is personally ugly on successful IP, where I've seen characters I feel are unattractive, go on to break records...stop trying to force this idea of subjectivity as being a agenda in 1 direction or the other, it makes little sense.

"I love BBWs, its clear Stellar Blade was CLEARLY designed to reject the “male gaze” to support this clear and OBVIOUS AGENDA!" /s - Some BBW Lover Probably

havoc00

Biggest? Let me show you Draw to Death on PS3:

From what I played on the Concord beta.... No way it's worse than that abomination.

I was actually hyped to play this too, what a shit game

sun-drop

I actually love how the game looks, it's clean AF, the levels have high level geometry, runs smooth as hell. And I'm a fan of the design choices too, mostly...I mean there are definitely some duds , for sure, what game doesn't, but it-z might be my favorite in game character of anything in ages. Looks like an ex so that probably makes me bias but, it's fun, the vibe is excitement, co operation, high energy, I'm into it. Not everything needs to be a military shooter, ultra serious world is ending destiny type thing, Yes it's a bit generic looking as far as GoTG goes but ...I like GoTG ? ...

Game speed is fine, anyone who can play it-z after a couple buffs and not be flying around the map .. I don't know what your doing wrong man.

The only thing giving me pause re buying it atm is the expectation this will be a ps+ freebee at least one mth in the coming half year. But I mean, if that happens so be it.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
errr not really...

I play games all the time where I don't find any of the characters attractive and I've never made some claim of something being "woke" cause that makes no fucking sense.... that is a subjective idea if someone finds something attractive or not.

Doubt.

This is too much of a subjective thing and I didn't see much with the designs that was some wild thing or something to be offended by.

I think you are correct that the game was going to flop regardless, but I've seen games where I think the design is personally ugly on successful IP, where I've seen characters I feel are unattractive, go on to break records...stop trying to force this idea of subjectivity as being a agenda in 1 direction or the other, it makes little sense.

"I love BBWs, it’s clear Stellar Blade was CLEARLY designed to reject the “male gaze” to support this clear and OBVIOUS AGENDA!" /s - Some BBW Lover Probably
It’s a hero shooter, it’s all about the character design. Look at Overwatch, I think a huge reason for its initial success was the all the varied, striking, clearly masculine or feminine characters with a little sex appeal. Same goes for most hero shooters and fighting games.

Yes, attractiveness is subjective. But there’s a reason other hero shooters don’t have characters that look like this:
wxCYZd7.jpeg

BvXAO2F.jpeg

Because it’s fucking ugly and nobody wants to play characters that look like this.

You can just tell Concord’s characters were the product of some DEI infested design by committee. Obviously designed to have no sex appeal, not too much masculinity or femininity, check off every diversity checkbox, and then they even put the damn gender pronouns on the character select screen.

This is not a case of people just having different subjective tastes.

EDMIX

The characters were clearly designed to reject the “male gaze” and to check off every diversity checkbox
It’s a hero shooter, it’s all about the character design. Look at Overwatch, I think a huge reason for its initial success was the all the varied

lol i see.

So, make the design "varied", but hey don't check any boxes for diversity, or you "woke".

I have no clue how anyone could make anything using this weird ass logic, even if they listened to you and was like "make the designs varied, lets have all different types of shapes and different people" you are just arguing its now "woke"
Good luck with this one man lol
You can just tell Concord’s characters were the product of some DEI infested design by committee. Obviously designed
Sure, the evidence here is "you can tell" and "obviously" (proceeds to argue a fucking subjective point)....

I don't think you have a real, objective, truthful view regarding this, you have a bias against some idea and simply are forcing it upon any game with the thin evidence of subjectivity and "you can tell"

The bias regarding this is a bit too strong and I can't rely on a honest opinion on this moving forward if any game with a minority now is by a committee and "DEI' and your deep evidence is "you can tell"

Overwatch literally falls in that same flimsy ass argument btw (I'm not making any claim against that game btw, merely pointing out that the exact same shit can be said about that using the exact logic)

Its even more funny cause you can't even fucking except it is your own subjective taste, you literally state its "ugly" this is literally a subjective view lol

Just stop man, what you fucking find "ugly" is your opinion, its not a fact...

If someone finds any of this attractive, fuck you going to do? Tell them what makes them hot or? You don't start to see how fucking loony that starts to sound? You know more about someones taste in women or games more then themselves? smh

Last edited:
You guys are really invested in this dei and anti-dei modern western identity politics crap too much to not look at why this is in this state now.

The average joe does not give a crap about politics, on both sides, and Hogwart's Legacy and modern God of War and Spider-Man games in singleplayer and Helldivers 2 in multiplayer, are living proof of that.

Of course, there are exceptions that do not sell well (sold in the millions still, but not the target set by Square is what I mean), despite being GOTY contenders like FFVII Rebirth, but they are again, exceptions that do not make the rule.

The game is outright uninspiring pile of garbage and brings nothing new to the table, the 100's of other Overwatch clones haven't already.

The only thing riding with this is the first party nature of it's production value and Bungie behind some of the creative decisions on gameplay.

Doomed to fail from day 0.

EDMIX

You guys are really invested in this dei and anti-dei modern western identity politics crap too much to not look at why this is in this state now.

The average joe does not give a crap about politics, on both sides, and Hogwart's Legacy and modern God of War and Spider-Man games in singleplayer and Helldivers 2 in multiplayer, are living proof of that.

Of course, there are exceptions that do not sell well (sold in the millions still, but not the target set by Square is what I mean), despite being GOTY contenders like FFVII Rebirth, but they are again, exceptions that do not make the rule.

The game is outright uninspiring pile of garbage and brings nothing new to the table, the 100's of other Overwatch clones haven't already.

The only thing riding with this is the first party nature of it's production value and Bungie behind some of the creative decisions on gameplay.

lol I'm saying!

This 1000% ^

If it flops, it flops. I feel the production value looks amazing, but this game is like 7 years too late. You have many on here looking to act as if a success or a fail is for against 1 side or another and its like.....maybe it just failed cause its not that good.

Thats it...

Its like they are looking for some vindication or something

They may not 'give a crap', but the devs who do have let it shape a product that is unappealing to the average joe.

It would be like opening a vegan restaurant because of your staunch animal rights values and convincing yourself that it's going to be a wild success with the wider public because it's great food and most people don't really get into animal activism. But your values have shaped the product that you have created and made it unappealing to the masses regardless of whether they care about animals or not.

sun-drop

Amazes me how much the character design seems to have sway over people take that this game will flop ...umm ...so it's a FPS for starters , and 90% of the time you shooting at the thjngs you have issus with .... umm .... win?

You'd think the maps, game mechanics, UI design, gun play, would be higher on the list of things that make or break a game ...but no,instead we see YouTube videos with "woke trash!" Or "why isn't this free!" In the title.

Pretty sure places like digital foundry etc hated on hell divers 2 out of the gate as well based on knee jerk reactions to what people think a game should or shouldn't be. At the end of the day it comes down to gameplay ..will see how things go. But as of right now I've been playing this non stop, even when I have CF25 and burning shores to finish yet.

Varteras

Make the clear proof, evidence and distinction and we can talk about, so far all this sounds like is people call any game this with any minority by default at this point. I saw a trailer with an alien and a fucking robot, how you got some conspiracy from that regarding "DEI" is beyond me lol

Well for starters, you probably don't go out of your way to give us the pronouns of your characters if DEI isn't involved. It has nothing to do with "OMG! A BLACK GUY"! No one cares if some minorities are in it. What has been pointed out is that among the human characters there are 4 Black characters, 2 Asian characters, one guy who looks Native American or Indian, one racially ambiguous character, one who you can't see at all that may not even be human, and one White guy who is probably Hispanic based on his name. When you are a Western developer where the vast majority of your population is White and yet you only have a single definitive racially White character who is also Hispanic, that screams DEI when you lay that on top of pronouns. Then, of course, we have that "Professor" idiot on the dev team. In addition to the lead character designer talking shit about White people. So, if that ain't proof enough for you, that just tells me you'd literally need a sign outside Firewalk's office saying they support DEI. I don't personally care, as I've stated previously that I've taken a step back and said that I can't complain about games that change existing IP while also complaining about new games that give those people "their" games. However, that's just me. The temperature in the room is different. Is it still beyond you?

MayauMiao

They may not 'give a crap', but the devs who do have let it shape a product that is unappealing to the average joe.

It would be like opening a vegan restaurant because of your staunch animal rights values and convincing yourself that it's going to be a wild success with the wider public because it's great food and most people don't really get into animal activism. But your values have shaped the product that you have created and made it unappealing to the masses regardless of whether they care about animals or not.

Average joes saw Concord with its ugly characters, ignores it.

Average joes saw The First Descendant, game has attractive characters to get their attention, proceed to download it and plays the game.

Its really that simple.

EDMIX

Well for starters, you probably don't go out of your way to give us the pronouns of your characters if DEI isn't involved.

You have games and software that have that as an option that has nothing to do with DEI or "woke", I'm sorry but this idea of saying it has an option for pronunos is some magical thing for "DEI" is merely something many on here are forcing to be some agenda.

Cyberpunk 2077 must be woke too, it has that option...it sounds to me like folks pick and choose when they want to throw that conspiracy around tbh.
It has nothing to do with "OMG! A BLACK GUY"!
Massive doubt, those seem to be the very games targeted for theses claims and smear campaigns
When you are a Western developer where the vast majority of your population is White and yet you only have a single definitive racially White character who is also Hispani
lol wow, yea I just play games for fun man and I believe the game's characters are just about those set characters, its not a fucking documentary or government census on population and the game isn't making a fucking claim about the "majority of your population" like, I don't think its saying majority of us are aliens and robots bud =)

This is some sad shit man, lets get back to actually just playing a game for fun, as it literally sounds like you are seeking for the game to represent some sort of factual data or something, I'm going to say what I've said to many bluehairs man, make your own game....if you are this hurt a game developer has the freedom to create what they want, make your own game...

Nothing is stopping you and you don't need this game to suddenly be about representing a populous of this place or that place or something like this as the game wasn't made as some factual real life thing..
The temperature in the room is different. Is it still beyond you?
lol I don't care man, I don't play games for any of these reasons and I don't avoid games for any of these reasons either.

Varteras

You have games and software that have that as an option that has nothing to do with DEI or "woke", I'm sorry but this idea of saying it has an option for pronunos is some magical thing for "DEI" is merely something many on here are forcing to be some agenda.

Cyberpunk 2077 must be woke too, it has that option...it sounds to me like folks pick and choose when they want to throw that conspiracy around tbh.

Massive doubt, those seem to be the very games targeted for theses claims and smear campaigns

lol wow, yea I just play games for fun man and I believe the game's characters are just about those set characters, its not a fucking documentary or government census on population and the game isn't making a fucking claim about the "majority of your population" like, I don't think its saying majority of us are aliens and robots bud =)

This is some sad shit man, lets get back to actually just playing a game for fun, as it literally sounds like you are seeking for the game to represent some sort of factual data or something, I'm going to say what I've said to many bluehairs man, make your own game....if you are this hurt a game developer has the freedom to create what they want, make your own game...

Nothing is stopping you and you don't need this game to suddenly be about representing a populous of this place or that place or something like this as the game wasn't made as some factual real life thing..

lol I don't care man, I don't play games for any of these reasons and I don't avoid games for any of these reasons either.

Games giving you the option for a custom character in an RPG is very different than assigning pronouns to characters you play as in a multiplayer shooter. I'm sure you're not dumb enough to believe otherwise.

I'm sorry you can't handle the idea that people take note of the racial representation and notice quite a disparity. The talk is whether DEI was involved or not. It clearly was. Not whether or not it means the game is fun or whether people should care.

You can't seem to separate these things.

EDMIX

Games giving you the option for a custom character in an RPG is very different than assigning pronouns to characters you play as in a multiplayer shooter.
Different reasons sure, but with how loose this claim has been, you might as well just argue the same "DEI" and "WOKE" thing you've been claiming regarding em lol You just calling anything that anyway man...

I'm sorry you can't handle the idea that people take note of the racial representation and notice quite a disparity.
lol make a petition about it or better yet, picket signs or tie yourself to a tree, that will make the developer see your rights of "representation"...

Make your own game..very simply, make your own game man. The developer don't fucking need to change shit as the game was not made as some human right and should have an equal amount of anything. They are free to put what ever they want in their game.

You are free not to play it.

You need to get over that or just make your own game.

Varteras

Different reasons sure, but with how loose this claim has been, you might as well just argue the same "DEI" and "WOKE" thing you've been claiming regarding em lol You just calling anything that anyway man...

lol make a petition about it or better yet, picket signs or tie yourself to a tree, that will make the developer see your rights of "representation"...

Make your own game..very simply, make your own game man. The developer don't fucking need to change shit as the game was not made as some human right and should have an equal amount of anything. They are free to put what ever they want in their game.

You need to get over that or just make your own game.

You are not making any good rebuttals against the idea that DEI clearly influenced the game. You are merely hand waving and then raging about how people should feel about it. Do you have an actual argument here or not?

Nydius

Here come the usual suspects trying to spin this absolute failure of a game. 🤣 If you feel confident enough in buying it, more power to you. Just make sure you get your $40 worth out of it in the first month or two, because no matter how much y’all spin it, the game won’t last much longer than that.

EDMIX

You are not making any good rebuttals against the idea that DEI clearly influenced the game. You are merely hand waving and then raging about how people should feel about it. Do you have an actual argument here or not?
Your evidence is pretty much some argument on the percentage of the population being represented in game or something lol

That isn't really much and the game was never made with this claim its using some data to make it like some 1.1 thing regarding population, your other argument about pronouns is just as silly as lots of games have that which have nothing to do with what you are talking about and lastly, even if someone did make the game with this shit.

I don't fucking care lol

I could care less weather or not the game has some particular agenda towards one side or another side because there's nothing I could do about this information we have Gaines where 4000 plus people are working on it do you fucking expect me to find each of those people to make sure their views align with my own before playing the game and this is supposed to be more normal? Lol

So the reality is, you are the one that has some issue regarding someone having free will in making a damn game, I don't.

Fuck am I suppose do? Read the minds of all developers to make sure they believe in everything I do before playing a game? lol

Lets get back to just playing a damn game for fun man.

sun-drop

Average joes saw Concord with its ugly characters, ignores it.

Average joes saw The First Descendant, game has attractive characters to get their attention, proceed to download it and plays the game.

Its really that simple.
I downloaded the first descendant day 1 due to how good the graphics looked, but by the time I got through the fiest mission i was done, I dont think I've played a more bland game in ages. And I actually found the graphics super underwhelming, but the worst thing was the audio ...just so disappointed, I didn't feel any connection to the action on screen at all. The whole experience lacked what concord has In bounds, and that's polish

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They are free to put what ever they want in their game.

I agree with this even if there was "DEI" or "WOKE" involved, devs have EVERY right to make what they want to make, if devs lose their freedom then this industry is fucked.

And as consumer you have every right to choose not buy it if you dont like it.

With that being said, western journalist also need understand this concept and stop insulting asian devs with their crappy articles just because they chose to make what they want to make.

Varteras

Your evidence is pretty much some argument on the percentage of the population being represented in game or something lol

That isn't really much and the game was never made with this claim its using some data to make it like some 1.1 thing regarding population, your other argument about pronouns is just as silly as lots of games have that which have nothing to do with what you are talking about and lastly, even if someone did make the game with this shit.

I don't fucking care lol

I could care less weather or not the game has some particular agenda towards one side or another side because there's nothing I could do about this information we have Gaines where 4000 plus people are working on it do you fucking expect me to find each of those people to make sure their views align with my own before playing the game and this is supposed to be more normal? Lol

So the reality is, you are the one that has some issue regarding someone having free will in making a damn game, I don't.

Fuck am I suppose do? Read the minds of all developers to make sure they believe in everything I do before playing a game? lol

Lets get back to just playing a damn game for fun man.

See, you're still raging over this and acting like this is some emotional outburst on my end. It isn't. It's on yours.

The devs felt the need to clearly assign pronouns to characters in a multiplayer shooter. That is entirely unnecessary and leans into the identity game that is rife in DEI environments.

What is also rife in such an environment is the urge to push for minority representation. Often to the point where it overrepresents. Which, in this case, it did.

Then if you do even a tiny bit of digging you find that the lead character designer had some unflattering things to say about White people. Plus the derange hire that was noted earlier.

These are glaring indications of DEI practices. If you don't think people should care, fine. But that doesn't change that DEI exists and that it is present here and there are people who don't like it.

So, if none of this matters to you, then just let it go and go play games.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

It's sad that our hobby has been infiltrated by so many mentally ill degenerates who have zero talent and just want to spread their degeneracy to everything we enjoy.

It's hard to understand how somebody who demands that coworkers address them as "Professor" isn't getting the help they desperately need inside an asylum or at the very least terminated from employment, but I guess that will happen soon enough seeing as Concord will flop hard.

bender

What time is it?
I'm just not sure who these characters are supposed to appeal to no matter one's ideological leanings. They designs look like wish.com versions of Guardians of the Galaxy. I said it before, but the game has more problems than just the character designs (also-ran hero shooter in a sea of competition, boring map design) but character design is your foot in the door. Poor designs are made all the worse in these types of GAAS offerings as your success is going to come down to selling skins, emotes, and whatnot for these heroes. Why would anyone invest if the designs don't speak to them? Even if the rest of the game was amazing, this might prevent it being a long-term success and even if it could overcome that bad first impression, why would you want to put yourself in that hole out of the gate?

EDMIX

I agree with this even if there was "DEI" or "WOKE" involved, devs have EVERY right to make what they want to make, if devs lose their freedom then this industry is fucked.

And as consumer you have every right to choose not buy it if you dont like it.

With that being said, western journalist also need understand this concept and stop insulting asian devs with their crappy articles just because they chose to make what they want to make.

Agreed 1000%
It's sad that our hobby has been infiltrated by so many mentally ill degenerates who have zero talent and just want to spread their degeneracy to everything we enjoy.
smh I mean, did you really think prior to this no one made games that had a different view or? lol
These are glaring indications of DEI practices.
yea, I don't care man lol You can find a lot of that in a lot of games too, but this whole thing of trying to argue its a indication of this or that simply seems forced. Like, how the fuck do you know that someone doesn't want that in a game and has no clue what DEI is and just wants to put it in their fucking game just cause they like it?
Then if you do even a tiny bit of digging you find that the lead character designer had some unflattering things to say about White people.
Ok...I'm sure if I dig around I can find something from any company in the world making unflattering comments about black people....

I'm sorry, I cannot buy a game or not based on someone working for a developer that might disagree with me or have issue with my race or something like this. I say this as a person of color that lives in the US, statically, most of what is made will not align with my demographic, I fully understand that. Sure, I won't shake the dudes hand, I won't invite him to the cook out, but I will allow them to freely create as I'm allowed to freely create and as an artist I take that unapologetic stance on creation seriously enough that even if someone's views are 100% opposite of my own, I will give their art, game, music, film or something a chance and accept it for what it is.

This is a video game sir, if the game is fun, I'll play, if its not, i won't. What i won't do though, is do something "digging around" to look into the personal views of each developer to base buying a fucking video game.

Based on my demographic, what I find....I'd have a short list to play from lol I know its hard to accept some shit like this, like even knowing or proving some developer hates this group or that group, but I cannot based such a thing based on someone's views on a work that was built by literally thousands of people. That is a level of offended i simply don't subscribe to and it takes a lot for me to say I won't buy a game based on like some view by a developer.

They are free to have that view man. (and by no way shape or form my I'm saying I support any of those comments that character designer stated btw)

bbeach123

The characters look so digusting that I dont even want to touch it even if it free.

There are ugly but cute , there are ugly but cool , but this kind of ugly remind me of the fat ugly bitches in Dead Rising 3 , On the scale of ugliest from Marcus(1) to her(10) , this gotta be a 7 .

iorek21

This game won’t flop because it’s woke or something like it. It’ll flop because this genre already has at least 3 big titles that won’t lose its playerbases for a new clone. The same will happen to Marvel Rivals.

Publishers need to get a reality check and accept that there won’t be a new Valorant/ Overwatch/ TF2.

It’s as stupid as trying to create a new Fortnite or a GTA Online clone.

It’s just not happening.

lol i see.

So, make the design "varied", but hey don't check any boxes for diversity, or you "woke".
I think when he says "varied" he is talking literally about making all kinds of characters

While "diverse" characters is actually woke speak for not good looking competent men and not sexually attractive women. So it´s not actually diverse either.

Haven´t you seen those diversity seminars were there is not a single white person? well, that´s woke diversity.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm just not sure who these characters are supposed to appeal to no matter one's ideological leanings. They designs look like wish.com versions of Guardians of the Galaxy. I said it before, but the game has more problems than just the character designs (also-ran hero shooter in a sea of competition, boring map design) but character design is your foot in the door. Poor designs are made all the worse in these types of GAAS offerings as your success is going to come down to selling skins, emotes, and whatnot for these heroes. Why would anyone invest if the designs don't speak to them? Even if the rest of the game was amazing, this might prevent it being a long-term success and even if it could overcome that bad first impression, why would you want to put yourself in that hole out of the gate?
Game was a trainwreck at face value art right away. DEI he/him dogpiled more, which to be fair is the studio's own doing. Anytime you interject some blatant politics into a non-politic product (this isnt the same as watching Anderson Cooper 360), youre going to get people turned off. Whether it's games, dinner plates, or lawnmowers, most people just want that. They dont need a Toro lawnmower with a giant Pride sticker on it. They just want a mower.

And I'm pretty confident when it comes to shooter games, people just want good characters, maps, gunplay, netcode and modes. I dont think any except 0.001% care about identity politics, what religion they are, or if they eat breakfast or not.

That doesnt meant the company cant do it. Do what you want. But remember the consequences. when it comes to game making, you got a lot of budget, employees and people paying good money for it. At least put some sensibilities into it and dont fuck it up with stupidity. It's not a dollar store plastic spoon youre buying which everyone knows will break a week later. There's a difference between a good product failing because there was a shortage of material and they ran out of supply, or a competitor did a giant contract with Walmart and every other store banishing your product from their shelves (it happens if the $$$ agreements are big enough), vs a product (Concord) released which seemed destined to be bad right off the bat.

What makes it worse reading gamer's experiences is even common QoL feature like join in progress gamers to round out unbalanced teams isnt even included, unbalanced characters, and short rounds.

Last edited:

Varteras

Exactly. As I said earlier, there are multiple factors combined that could bring this game down. Even if you remove one, you still have big problems elsewhere. Charging $40 with nothing unique to offer, with boring character designs that even make a person unenthused to get new skins for them, is a big uphill battle when games like Overwatch are already entrenched for many years. The game could still pull a miracle comeback. But it's just bizarre that they would choose hard-mode right out the gate.

Agreed 1000%

smh I mean, did you really think prior to this no one made games that had a different view or? lol

yea, I don't care man lol You can find a lot of that in a lot of games too, but this whole thing of trying to argue its a indication of this or that simply seems forced. Like, how the fuck do you know that someone doesn't want that in a game and has no clue what DEI is and just wants to put it in their fucking game just cause they like it?

Ok...I'm sure if I dig around I can find something from any company in the world making unflattering comments about black people....

I'm sorry, I cannot buy a game or not based on someone working for a developer that might disagree with me or have issue with my race or something like this. I say this as a person of color that lives in the US, statically, most of what is made will not align with my demographic, I fully understand that. Sure, I won't shake the dudes hand, I won't invite him to the cook out, but I will allow them to freely create as I'm allowed to freely create and as an artist I take that unapologetic stance on creation seriously enough that even if someone's views are 100% opposite of my own, I will give their art, game, music, film or something a chance and accept it for what it is.

This is a video game sir, if the game is fun, I'll play, if its not, i won't. What i won't do though, is do something "digging around" to look into the personal views of each developer to base buying a fucking video game.

Based on my demographic, what I find....I'd have a short list to play from lol I know its hard to accept some shit like this, like even knowing or proving some developer hates this group or that group, but I cannot based such a thing based on someone's views on a work that was built by literally thousands of people. That is a level of offended i simply don't subscribe to and it takes a lot for me to say I won't buy a game based on like some view by a developer.

They are free to have that view man. (and by no way shape or form my I'm saying I support any of those comments that character designer stated btw)

Listen, it's DEI. Every indication is there. It could only be more obvious if they advertised it in a hiring brochure.

Furthermore, people don't need to look as far as I have to convince themselves that DEI is present. The moment they see pronouns in a game like this, they will immediately think that. The moment they see Black people represent half the human characters in the game, they'll think that.

It doesn't matter how you feel about it. It doesn't matter how I do. It doesn't matter if we stand together, on a rooftop, holding hands, naked :messenger_blowing_kiss:, telling the people that they should just play the game. They're going to see such things and be turned off.

I know this because everyone in my circle of 9 people who play games together regularly saw pronouns and immediately slammed the game as "woke". With two of them noting one Hispanic White dude in the whole roster. Now I don't know if any of them will refuse to buy it ever, but they definitely lost interest upon a brief inspection of the game.

Interestingly enough, they don't care that characters in Overwatch have a sexual orientation. Why? As my friend put it, "Because there was nothing in the game I could see that was making it a point to let me know in some narcissistic way". They felt the same way about Baldur's Gate because in that game the sexual orientation of the characters you play as were basically whatever you wanted.

Will DEI alone ruin the game? No. Of course not. I said as much. I said it would be a combination of multiple factors. At least five of them that will ruin this game. DEI is probably lowest on the list. Assuming the devs acknowledge balance issues at all. But it's still an issue that could turn people off to it and make them less likely to want to grab it.

EDMIX

This game won’t flop because it’s woke or something like it. It’ll flop because this genre already has at least 3 big titles that won’t lose its playerbases for a new clone. The same will happen to Marvel Rivals.

Publishers need to get a reality check and accept that there won’t be a new Valorant/ Overwatch/ TF2.

It’s as stupid as trying to create a new Fortnite or a GTA Online clone.

It’s just not happening.

Pretty much

This is such a hard genre to do well it, its so hit or miss, I don't think I can 100% say what will be a some huge hit or what will flop for certain regarding this.

I think when he says "varied" he is talking literally about making all kinds of characters

While "diverse" characters is actually woke speak for not good looking competent men and not sexually attractive women. So it´s not actually diverse either.

Haven´t you seen those diversity seminars were there is not a single white person? well, that´s woke diversity.

yea sure, all that sounds like is you'd just call a game that had those "varied" characters woke anyway man. I'm sorry, but do you know 100% that the developers of this game were not just "making all kinds of characters"?

As in, why is Overwatch seen as "varied" but this is "diverse" as some agenda?

That sounds like you might mistake any game for being "woke" that just wants to have different characters man.

Be like "I want the game to have lots of different characters" - David

"Ok David" - Developer adds in characters from different walks of life

"WOW, its WOKE OMGZ" - David

Varteras Varteras anyone buying a game or not based on such a thing will find issues anywhere tbh man. If someone lost interest in a work i was making cause a demographic was not in it, thats ok. Not everyone can be please and not all games are made for everyone.

Thats ok. That isn't a vendetta against this or that. So even if its in the game Varteras, I don't know if I care as I wouldn't even be basing a purchase or not based on any of this. I don't know if even 1 game I've ever avoided based on anything you've said btw.

Like...zero. (I don't even think anyone in this forum can ever even quote me as buying or not buying a game based on these issues)

Understand, if you made a game based on what you are saying you want, if its fun...I'd buy it =) Even if we disagree. Have a good one Varteras Varteras

Varteras

Pretty much

This is such a hard genre to do well it, its so hit or miss, I don't think I can 100% say what will be a some huge hit or what will flop for certain regarding this.

yea sure, all that sounds like is you'd just call a game that had those "varied" characters woke anyway man. I'm sorry, but do you know 100% that the developers of this game were not just "making all kinds of characters"?

As in, why is Overwatch seen as "varied" but this is "diverse" as some agenda?

That sounds like you might mistake any game for being "woke" that just wants to have different characters man.

Be like "I want the game to have lots of different characters" - David

"Ok David" - Developer adds in characters from different walks of life

"WOW, its WOKE OMGZ" - David

Varteras Varteras anyone buying a game or not based on such a thing will find issues anywhere tbh man. If someone lost interest in a work i was making cause a demographic was not in it, thats ok. Not everyone can be please and not all games are made for everyone.

Thats ok. That isn't a vendetta against this or that. So even if its in the game Varteras, I don't know if I care as I wouldn't even be basing a purchase or not based on any of this. I don't know if even 1 game I've ever avoided based on anything you've said btw.

Like...zero. (I don't even think anyone in this forum can ever even quote me as buying or not buying a game based on these issues)

Understand, if you made a game based on what you are saying you want, if its fun...I'd buy it =) Even if we disagree. Have a good one Varteras Varteras

Love you beebee! I enjoy a good heated debate from time to time.

Happy I Love You GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

Boss Mog

Lol, it has nothing to do with "different views", it has to do with pushing agendas, injecting your ideology into the game and making it the priority above all else. Artistic endeavors, such as books, movies, games, etc... , should make you think but not tell you how to think, otherwise they are nothing but propaganda. This is even more egregious when the ideology in question is so heavily flawed that it infringes upon insanity. When it comes to certain issues, there's no such thing as "different views", there's only the truth and bullshit.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

I downloaded the first descendant day 1 due to how good the graphics looked, but by the time I got through the fiest mission i was done, I dont think I've played a more bland game in ages. And I actually found the graphics super underwhelming, but the worst thing was the audio ...just so disappointed, I didn't feel any connection to the action on screen at all. The whole experience lacked what concord has In bounds, and that's polish

You may not like the game after trying it out but at the end of the day, you did download and play it.

Meanwhile Concord developers wish they could get people to care about their game and no thanks to their bad design choice, most will just skip it.

Killjoy-NL

What is also rife in such an environment is the urge to push for minority representation. Often to the point where it overrepresents. Which, in this case, it did.
Not saying your points aren't valid, but globally, "white" people are a minority.
Maybe 12% of the world population is white, at most?

So are you sure that if a character roster is dominated by "minorities", they truly are misrepresented, or just going by your perspective/point of reference?

Last edited:

EDMIX

Lol, it has nothing to do with "different views", it has to do with pushing agendas, injecting your ideology into the game and making it the priority above all else. Artistic endeavors, such as books, movies, games, etc... , should make you think but not tell you how to think, otherwise they are nothing but propaganda. This is even more egregious when the ideology in question is so heavily flawed that it infringes upon insanity. When it comes to certain issues, there's no such thing as "different views", there's only the truth and bullshit.
lol I can't want till GTAVI releases

This will be a fun place at release talking about theses "conspiracies" lol

N30RYU

They have gone the route to go broke... so... well deserved.

The only good thing about Concord is that is a Gaas game so it eventually will be erased from existence

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sony felt left out with Xbox having Redfall.
It'll interesting how well Concord PC stats compare. Redfall all time peak CCU is around 6,100 Steam users.

Concord's open beta peaked around 2,500 on a weekend, and it's an MP game which should naturally draw tons of gamers amped up shooting and competing.

Still a month to go to see how the final release compares to Redfalls final.

That´s the problem with superwoke games. The devs aren´t just trying to do something gamers will like, which is hard enough as it is. They are also trying to force gamers to like what they consider gamers must like in order to not be fatphobic, patriarchal and all that jazz. That´s why they remove characters they think people want, and introduce other characters even when they know people don´t like them. Because woke devs are trying to educate gamers according to their political views instead of trying to make a product they will enjoy and remember

Varteras

Not saying your points aren't valid, but globally, "white" people are a minority.
Maybe 12% of the world population is white, at most?

So are you sure that if a character roster is dominated by "minorities", they truly are misrepresented, or just going by your perspective/point of reference?

Black people are not half of the world population. So even by a global standard, Black people are overrepresented in the game. By a Western standard, White people are underrepresented and Black people are GROSSLY overrepresented. DEI practices are used to correct perceived inequalities in Western nations. Not the globe. And the demographic makeup of the world shouldn't have an impact on how a nation conducts itself.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That´s the problem with superwoke games. The devs aren´t just trying to do something gamers will like, which is hard enough as it is. They are also trying to force gamers to like what they consider gamers must like in order to not be fatphobic, patriarchal and all that jazz. That´s why they remove characters they think people want, and introduce other characters even when they know people don´t like them. Because woke devs are trying to educate gamers according to their political views instead of trying to make a product they will enjoy and remember
It's an extension of their lives. That's why you hear about them talk about games and representing, or "this is I feel about it and wants others to share my experiences" (or some kind of statement like that).

Trust me working at big companies selling so much shit it makes COD look like peanuts, nobody goes around designing product lines based off making floor cleaner or microwaves "well, I'd like people to share how I clean my floors, or nuke a pizza slice". You design, market and sell stuff based on what people want. and you focus the budget on making a good product they want at a reasonable price. It's actually not a hard concept. The toughest part isnt even making the product. It's competing products already out there or Walmart or Costco or 10 grocery stores saying "nah.... we dont want it". So due to distribution points of sale, you might be dead in the water. But in gaming, it's mostly digital now. The brick and mortar barrier wall to hop over is now a non-issue. With gaming the consumer does the legwork downloading the game on their own time, money and bandwidth!

Last edited:

skit_data

Gold Member
It probably is the biggest flop they've released that I can think of. However I do think Firewalk seem fairly competent tech-wise (as per DFs video on Concord) so I can see them come quite handy as a support studio. Support studios seem to become more and more a critical part of development.

Top Bottom