• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Concord headed to be Sony's biggest first party flop ever?

Lumyst

Are you surprised?

This is also from one of the dudes working on the game (the character designer i think)

This is an over simplification. The sentiment being expressed is that whites must acknowledge their privileged position, and then actively work for equality. It will be hard and confronting work, but if we don't we're complicit. And complicity allows systemic racism to persist."

Sony is fucked if every studio they have turned into a woke asylum.

Criticism/self criticism. They go after people and complain to them either for just having certain traits, or self deprecate themselves, for having those arbitrary traits and not fully committing to the ideology. What they never criticize is the ideology itself that is controlling them. Another thing, left/right? That's a red herring, totalitarianism/anarchy is the true "spectrum" with various ideological details potentially there to keep things in moderate order or keep things under total control. From my educational experience, the USA was about "moderate, orderly individual freedom and the discipline to coexist with others who have different likes and dislikes." I am noticing that this year, more institutions are changing the "DEI" link on their websites from "Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion" to something else. I've seen "Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging" for example. I've seen "Diversity and Inclusion" on many others where the E (The Marxist E) used to be there but is no longer there. So I feel that over time more people have been seeing things get way to bizarre and are looking into and informing themselves about the ideology behind the things we've been seeing and are taking action in their own ways, which is encouraging. We're realizing that mindsets and worldviews are indoctrinated into people. Patterns of decision making and action come from those mindsets. We're realizing that products are starting to be offensive to our own values and are avoiding them. Some of us are providing the criticism of the ideologies themselves that the people trapped in them can't or won't because they're going after people for not following their ideology instead. I've seen college websites like Purdue's where they've committed to adding mandatory Civics coursework and fundamental civics exams as graduation requirements, so that students can at least get a chance to understand the ideology and theories of individual freedom that informed the structure and institutions of the USA and judge it fairly. My favorite though is this, from the Cannes Film Festival, which I think is in the spirit of creative industries: https://www.festival-cannes.com/en/...freedom-of-expression-equality-and-diversity/:
A reflection of creation, a mirror on the world, the Festival invites filmmakers from around the world to bear witness to their times. By selecting them, the Festival offers them a canvass of free artistic and political expression, which contributes, edition after edition, to redrawing the world film map. It’s also in full awareness of this issue that the Festival determines its Official Selection, which is both demanding and attentive to diversity and equality. It’s with this same consciousness and this same desire to make all voices heard that people from all over the world are brought together to sit on its juries and that the Festival is organised.

In order to preserve the artistic independence of its selection, it does not apply a quota policy, but remains equally mindful of developments in production worldwide. In particular, during the selection process, the Festival pays close attention to the percentage of female-directed films selected so that this is broadly consistent with the percentage of female-directed films submitted to the official selection.

Diversity and Equality is my favorite of the "deMarxified" versions of DEI. When they first rolled out DEI a few years ago, that's what I thought it'd be and withheld judgement on it. It does not demand conformity of values in each and every product, but allows for equality of opportunity for each unique director to express themselves artistically or even politically as they choose. It considers publishing additional projects that showcase other points of view that may not have been showcased before. Heck, in the company I work for, they tried selling additional products with boldly African motifs and they all sold out very quickly! The "I" sounds benign at first, but that is a big source of the self censorship when "inclusion" means each product having to conform to every single like and dislike of every person. I have to concede, that each director of so many projects could legitimately want to promote Marxist values, for whatever reason. I've thought about the "old man yells at clouds" meme though, and have concluded personally that this is a totally different situation, what generation before needed a wholescale department to be added to institutions in order to force a Marxist value system on everybody else? Maybe this can be a teaching moment for experienced creators or executives at these companies to explain the values that allow coexistence of free expression like before. I want the coexist bumper sticker people back, not the glitter studded, pink hammer and sickle bumper sticker people haha (seriously, I saw a car with that bumper sticker but haven't seen the coexist one in a long time).

Varteras

If Concord flops it won't be because of one thing. It'll be a combination. It's $40 in a genre where the current heavy hitters are free to play. As of now, it has nothing gameplay-wise that sets it apart. Like a beefy PvE mode or some kind of PvP not present in its rivals.

Its character designs are boring at least, dogshit at most. No sexy women. No supercool characters. It is clearly heavily influenced by DEI practices, and this turns off a lot of people. This doesn't even touch the balance issues I saw in the game. Which will require them to acknowledge the balancing as an issue. They could very easily go tonedeaf to the feedback.

As a long time WoW player I'd warn against thinking that surely they'll make any corrections based on feedback.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I remember that Starhawk sold extremely poorly. But Concord definitely has the potential.

81DTgP6Yx2L.jpg
To sell even poorlier?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
lol what kind of fucking wacko makes everyone call them “professor” and calls their meetings “learning with the professor”.

I’m a software engineer (not in the gaming industry) and I would get laughed out of my damn job if I interacted with my colleagues that way and demanded they use certain honorifics with me.

DrFigs

I think they should've paid me to play it early. I could've warned them.
If Concord flops it won't be because of one thing. It'll be a combination. It's $40 in a genre where the current heavy hitters are free to play. As of now, it has nothing gameplay-wise that sets it apart. Like a beefy PvE mode or some kind of PvP not present in its rivals.

Its character designs are boring at least, dogshit at most. No sexy women. No supercool characters. It is clearly heavily influenced by DEI practices, and this turns off a lot of people. This doesn't even touch the balance issues I saw in the game. Which will require them to acknowledge the balancing as an issue. They could very easily go tonedeaf to the feedback.

As a long time WoW player I'd warn against thinking that surely they'll make any corrections based on feedback.
I think you are 100% right. the balance issues can be fixed. but the characters bein boring and/or ugly is just a lifelong problem for the game. Especially the women. I just don't understand the thinking behind it. A big draw of these games are fanart, cosplay, wanting to unlock new skins, etc. who would want to unlock skins for these ugly ass characters? who's going to cosplay or commission fanart of these things. there's just no real upside to having ugly characters. i don't understand.

Last edited:

PsyEd

I tried this high in soy product after all this commotion... now I appreciate & miss LawBreakers even more. Space reclaimed back on my ps5.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Said it a million times. Video game industry people are f'ing weird. Imagine working in an office with that oddball.
Loony toon who made up her own nickname.

At least people probably won't have to work with her much longer. Going to be kind of hard to keep that principal game designer job if this is the pinnacle of what she is able to produce.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I tried this game. It was fucking awful. The DEI character designs and ridiculous fucking pronouns turned me off basically instantly. Absolute pile of shite.

I get it. My tastes are no longer popular (well, they ARE, but people pretend that they aren't). But, here's what I like: hot bitches, massive guns, hulking dudes who look like they can beat the shit out of everything, and toxic masculinity as far as the eye can see. Give me a slutty girl with huge boobs in hot pants standing next to a bald space marine who thinks it's pathetic to cry and I'm a happy boy. This is the polar opposite of that, and as such, can get fucked.

top gun deal with it GIF

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I hope it’s one of Sony’s biggest hits ever, just because it would be hilarious for everyone to be so wrong about it.

Of course, I won’t be playing that shite though lol

Pop

I hope it’s one of Sony’s biggest hits ever, just because it would be hilarious for everyone to be so wrong about it.

This is a kids mentality...

Game is just bad

havoc00

There Is No Spinning How Poorly Sony’s ‘Concord’ Open Beta Went On Steam

While initial Steam numbers did not look great for the open Concord Beta this weekend, the end result is even worse than I had anticipated. I expected at least some level of a surge from its initially low playercount as the beta got going and we hit the weekend. Sundays are generally when most games peak, after all. That did not happen, instead its playercount declined.

There are two main problems here:

The peak for a free open beta is way too low – The game peaked at 2,388 players on Thursday when it launched. That is a very, very low amount of players in the context of a new multiplayer release, and while I am certainly not expecting anywhere near a Helldivers 2 level of surprise success, this is very bad. It’s even worse when you remember that this is a free open beta and the final product has Concord priced at $40.

Interest in the Beta Declined From Day One – This may be the most concerning point, honestly. One of the positives that Concord has going for it is that gameplay can in fact feel pretty fun. But this chart indicates 1) there was very little word of mouth getting other players to try, and 2) those who were playing became disinterested quickly and did not stay around. From its Thursday launch, playercount declined every single day and what should have been a peak Sunday was its lowest day of them all, peaking at just 1,117 players.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Is it crazy that I can’t wait till people stop talking about it? I’ve got nothing against it. I just dislike the name. Some real dumb names for games lately.

Antwix

I'd rather watch the meltdown and finger-pointing of the devs when it gets cancelled. However, I do hope it reaches season 1 so we can all laugh at their new paid character designs/skins.

Played about 4 games of the beta and had my fill. Only thing that was quality was the motion capture.

The actual gameplay is typical autogame for retards that passes for multiplayer these days. Aim assist so aggressive it practically played itself.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Full article is out

smh, some times a game doesn't work out.

Thats ok.

Won't waste any time or energy reading some article trying to argue "woke" as being some REAL reason why a game isn't doing well lol

The same people say this same stupid dumb shit about games that are literally successful and have no explanation behind that lol

edit. My god, what kind of loony site is that? lol Does this person have no life or are they just 100% devoted to this whole circus type thing?

Last edited:

Thats ok.

Won't waste any time or energy reading some article trying to argue "woke" as being some REAL reason why a game isn't doing well lol

The same people say this same stupid dumb shit about games that are literally successful and have no explanation behind that lol

edit. My god, what kind of loony site is that? lol Does this person have no life or are they just 100% devoted to this whole circus type thing?
i dunno if woke or not...but definitely sub-par. Is there a correlation? 🤷‍♂️

Aion002

Gold Member
Biggest? Let me show you Draw to Death on PS3:

From what I played on the Concord beta.... No way it's worse than that abomination.

Thats ok.

I know, right? Like, Silicon Knights exploded itself just fine without any "wokeness." Sometimes studios just mess up. Trying to shoehorn "woke" as the driving force behind so many failures is getting really old. At this point, I'm pretty sure it's just an engagement/money-making thing. Claim "wokeness." Get clicks. Repeat.

sun-drop

Full article is out

Lol holy shit...this is exactly why I'm almost totally discounting the current hate 😅 the game is polished, fun, pretty much the best time I've had with a shooter in ages. Literally years. And I'm pretty convinced most hate is coming from butt hurt pc gamers who either have some allegiance to overwatch and co, or some ongoing hate against sony ( even though sony games are pretty much propping up their platform atm ) ,or people with some weird assumption all games should be free ...or something ( and in the next breath whining about studios closing) .

I'll be pre ordering, I've played enough to know this will be successful, oh no there is a he/him thing on the character select.

Not looking good, but don't count it out just yet. All it takes is one wanna-be-big-deal streamer to get their following into it and go viral.

Top Bottom