• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Concord headed to be Sony's biggest first party flop ever?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This kind of shit, dredging up personal workplace history of individual devs, is just disgusting behaviour. Buy the game or don’t, this crap is just… bleurgh.
Personally I think workplace history like what was on display here is exactly why Concord looks the way it does

Tim And Eric Idk GIF

The biggest issue is that the game just seems mediocre in an oversaturated market. From the initial trailer, I was expecting more references to 70s sci-fi in the art design, but it's just not there.
I really didn't hate the beta, didn't love it either but it's solid experience. Doesn't reinvent anything but I've played much worse, even from "newer" games. The part about 70s sci-fi is interesting though. Even playing the beta, the player card gives off the same vibe, as does the logo and the initial trailer as you mentioned. Just a theory, but I really wonder if they had some cool character designs or ideas but scraped them for the more "safer" modern characters. Like nothing about it makes sense, why have that type of theme/setting, then have the most generic characters I've seen in a media medium in probably forever. Idk why they would ever do that, maybe for DEI reasons or what but it will just never make sense how the logo itself comes off as intriguing, then you see the characters and they are anything but.

Anyways, as for the OP question, maybe, but I don't think it's as extreme as you're making it. Yea, it's clear Sony saw something and they were clearly wrong as this game is DoA. But I don't think they were truly high on the game. I mean, they showed more for Fair games over a year ago when both of these games were officially announced and that game doesn't even have a release window yet. The first true look we every got of concord, characters and gameplay is what 2 months before launch? That doesn't scream supreme confidence in something, especially with it being a new IP. While Sony has a pretty good track record overall, it's not like they haven't had miss with funded games either such as: the order 1886, destruction all stars, concrete genie, and even something like days gone, which seemed to sell somewhat well but the way Sony treated Bend and that IP, it's pretty clear it didn't hit expectations and were disappointed with it.

Haint

A 100+ minute Cinema-Scope Pixar movie has a 150 million budget... But a 4 minute game CGI cost 30+ million.... Riiight.
No one likes the game but there is always a point where the hyperbole gets a bit too stupid....

10-15 years ago Blur very famously commanded $1 million per 30 seconds, emphasis on 15 years ago, their salaries have probably tripled since then. The bulk of time and cost in a short film like this is asset creation, and this video had as much variety and density as a lot of feature films. It definitely wasn't in the single digits, the range was probably between $15-30 million. You pay a hefty premium contracting out a short film (where all the work is hugely front loaded), as opposed to long form, in-house, like movie studios.

Last edited:
15 years ago Blur very famously commanded $1 million per 30 seconds, emphasis on 15 years ago, their salaries have probably tripled since then. The bulk of time and cost in a short film like this is asset creation, and this video had as much variety and density as a lot of feature films. It definitely wasn't in the single digits, the range was probably between $15-30 million
Nonsense

What? 5 year of work is worth nothing?
Meh, we don't mind just having one developer's IP released per gen. I mean, we only paid $500 for a current gen system, so it's nothing to buy another one next gen for maybe one game from each dev, each gen. psshh

Personally I think workplace history like what was on display here is exactly why Concord looks the way it does

Tim And Eric Idk GIF

Sure. But there’s a vast fucking difference between being a quirky creative and/or difficult co-worker and being an alpha rectal worm like that Twitter twat. I mean, what’s his raison d’être, to be a particularly nasty cunt? Mission accomplished.

Again, bleurgh. Fucking disgusting behaviour.

Hypereides

Gold Member
I've recently read an article stating how OG bungie devs went through all the trouble of going to army offices and shooting ranges, to make sure that the human weapons in halo feel real

Meanwhile, the current art designer in 343 admitted that guns make him uncomfortable, but halo being sci-fi helps him get through it

IF YOU DISLIKE GUNS, WHY ARE YOU WORKING ON A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER?
Asian-Facepalm-Of-Shame.gif

I legit wonder how people like this managed to get into the industry. They have proven to not be the creative types who can be entrusted with building fictional worlds. The guy you mentioned sounds like he has an issue with distinguishing fiction/fantasy from reality.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Sure. But there’s a vast fucking difference between being a quirky creative and/or difficult co-worker and being an alpha rectal worm like that Twitter twat. I mean, what’s his raison d’être, to be a particularly nasty cunt? Mission accomplished.

Again, bleurgh. Fucking disgusting behaviour.
Quirky?

Difficult co-worker?

They wanted unvaxxed co-workers fired

I am happy we have Twitter people that expose these people for who they are

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This kind of shit, dredging up personal workplace history of individual devs, is just disgusting behaviour. Buy the game or don’t, this crap is just… bleurgh.

The counterpoint to this is that when a game is as terrible as this one, people in the industry will rightly look for answers as to why. This is an attempt to highlight what is very probably one reason for the state the game is in. There's been no doxxing going on here, or any information that the person concerned has not openly spoken about themselves.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm waiting to see if Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes gets excited about Fairgame$ before I write it off completely. If he seems interested, you know its days are numbered.

I think the game will catch more eyes just by being 3rd person. Probably will have a campaign also, in addition to PvE / PvP.
I've only had 3 big whiffs in my entire life...

1. I thought Spies vs Mercs was going to be the next big thing.

2. I thought CoD multiplayer was irrelevant.

3. I thought Concord would blow up before seeing the gameplay.

I'm the Wayne Gretzky of multiplayer predictions. I'd put my track record up against anyone.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

I'm the Wayne Gretzky of multiplayer predictions. I'd put my track record up against anyone.
I like that you have your own opinion, just joking around. I actually thought Concord would be good when all we saw was the initial teaser with just a sandwich and a logo. I gave up that idea when the first real trailer dropped.

Fairgame$, I am waiting to see more. If the whole game is like something from Ubisoft, it honestly could be somewhat like Spies v Mercs x Payday or something. Who knows.

I just checked this video to see what devs have to say:

...NOTHING.

I think what has been the most telling about all the dev talks is that they genuinely seem to think their game is unique in some form.

I mean, I liked it, but I’d be hard pressed to come up with anything even fresh about the gameplay, or the game systems. So they are either delusional to the point of insanity, or just full of it. Or a bit of both.

It was a well designed experience, clearly the work of seasoned devs. But hardly unique.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member

I think ur last and only hope is for michael pachter to predict concord to bomb hard, bro, sorry, but from what i saw his shows, he is woke af himself so would never do it :p

Denorion

Asian-Facepalm-Of-Shame.gif

I legit wonder how people like this managed to get into the industry. They have proven to not be the creative types who can be entrusted with building fictional worlds. The guy you mentioned sounds like he has an issue with distinguishing fiction/fantasy from reality.
I misremembered, He is a producer, not an artist, still not sure why he wanted to work on a shooter ip

images

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
You know what, I think I’m just too old for this shit. What does vaccinations have to do with being woke? Genuine question, I can’t fucking keep up.
During the pandemic a lot of people were calling for the unvaccinated to be removed from workplaces and basically ostracised. It was generally from the left deciding what people should do with their own bodies and shaming people for not being vaccinated even though there was a lot of valid reasons people didn’t want to get vaccinated.

That's disgusting behaviour.

W11d

Internet has developed a habit of dancing on the grave of few recent titles, thanks to Suicide Squad and Redfall. This game is undergoing a similar cycle.

I don’t think it will be biggest flop, but it will be most explosive flop, that will shook industry and do unrecoverable damage to the brand.
damage to the brand? What brand? Playstation?

Deerock71

Time for Sony to start saying,"uhhh...Nintendo's approach to making games SEEMS solid...at first glance...We had waffles for breakfast."

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
During the pandemic a lot of people were calling for the unvaccinated to be removed from workplaces and basically ostracised. It was generally from the left deciding what people should do with their own bodies and shaming people for not being vaccinated even though there was a lot of valid reasons people didn’t want to get vaccinated.

That's disgusting behaviour.
In my area, when covid was in full effect, the places still open required proof of vaccination (show them a print out) in order to be let in.

At work, my company was actually ok if you were vaccinated or not. But they were snooping around because even when we were WFH for two years, they kept asking if people (at their option) could send all their vaccination proof receipts to HR or upload it to a HR link.

Last edited:
I hope so OP.

I will lose any and all faith in the Sony Super Fans if they cape for this shit.

Sony bros, this is the game you let fall off and fail. I get that your brand emotions are there but... this ain't it. You and the rest of team blue have been given a lot better and deserves a lot better. Don't have it on record you shilled for the Obesity Hero Shooter. Have dignity for yourselves.

You mother fuckers should go in harder on this piece of shit game than Xbox or Nintendo fans considering what exclusives you got in the past. Don't lower yourselves and defend Diabetes and Rainbow Vomit Colors: The Live Service Game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom