• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Concord headed to be Sony's biggest first party flop ever?

Dp9vvsV.png
He/she/it needs some help. Mental help.

Also what students does he/she/it expect?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm not a native English speaker but I could have sworn that "I checked Linkedin like twice a year" should be in the present tense. Maybe it's a High Language Professor thing only available to they/thems?
And gaming employees wonder why execs treat them like children.

And that doesnt even include all the times a confidential company memo gets posted to social media 10 minutes after receiving it, or game leaks, or getting into bickering matches or accusing fellow employees or bosses on Twitter. Or any other incident. So many manchildren.

Last edited:

Borowski_1

Betwee All Stars, Knack and this, dunno

But as a Games as Services hater, for what it represents for this medium, can't say i don't want to see it fail miserably

Nydius

I think what has been the most telling about all the dev talks is that they genuinely seem to think their game is unique in some form.

I mean, I liked it, but I’d be hard pressed to come up with anything even fresh about the gameplay, or the game systems. So they are either delusional to the point of insanity, or just full of it. Or a bit of both.

It was a well designed experience, clearly the work of seasoned devs. But hardly unique.

Agreed and I think that’s going to, ultimately, be the reason the game flops. There will be a lot made of the “woke” or DEI elements of the game, blah, blah, blah. But when it comes down to it, the game doesn’t offer anything particularly new, unique, or identifiable over well established competition in the genre.

I give the devs credit for having faith in their game but their faith alone does not a commercial success make.

$40 for a hero shooter when one can get others with equal or better gameplay for free is going to be a hard sell for many. That will be the bigger issue than pronouns and “ugly” characters.

(The required PSN linking on PC is also a hindrance. Guess they learned nothing from the Helldivers debacle.)

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
lmao what a shit show of a game.

Game studios should change how they hire people. How the fuck do you end up with The Professor and some dude who doesn't like guns working on your FPS game is beyond any reason.

I hope so OP.

I will lose any and all faith in the Sony Super Fans if they cape for this shit.

Sony bros, this is the game you let fall off and fail. I get that your brand emotions are there but... this ain't it. You and the rest of team blue have been given a lot better and deserves a lot better. Don't have it on record you shilled for the Obesity Hero Shooter. Have dignity for yourselves.

You mother fuckers should go in harder on this piece of shit game than Xbox or Nintendo fans considering what exclusives you got in the past. Don't lower yourselves and defend Diabetes and Rainbow Vomit Colors: The Live Service Game.
Who's caping? Game looks like uninspired shit. Looks like a game made by AI.

No idea about the mechanics, shooting, etc. But with that bland ass look, I have zero interest in it.

Having had some experience with game design students, that type of personality is a dime a dozen in those classes. So it becomes sort of a cycle; you’ll feel weird if you don’t feel weird. Art students, not so bad.

nial

I don't know about all of you, but I'm here wondering what the little Japanese 3D platformer of PS4's launch has to do with two MP/GAAS bombs of the PS5 gen.

Fess

I think what has been the most telling about all the dev talks is that they genuinely seem to think their game is unique in some form.

I mean, I liked it, but I’d be hard pressed to come up with anything even fresh about the gameplay, or the game systems. So they are either delusional to the point of insanity, or just full of it. Or a bit of both.

It was a well designed experience, clearly the work of seasoned devs. But hardly unique.
Not my type of game but I think the real problem is the art and character designs. It may seem shallow but if I’m bored or annoyed at how a game looks before even a reveal trailer is over then why would I bother downloading it to try it? Even free. Why?

A trailer exists to make you interested. Excited. If a new IP fails at that then it’ll flop. No surprise.

This would’ve happened to a movie or TV Show as well. I have 10,000 movies and TV Shows to watch on Netflix. Why would I watch something that bores me in the trailer? I wouldn’t.

Something for the industry to pay attention to.
Don’t mess up the reveal!

And also don’t try to get western political points through the designs unless you know it’ll fly globally!
There is no loud LGTVQRST+- movement in many parts of the world. Sorry to say this but the majority don’t care. Make a special version if it’s so important in the US or UK or wherever, use it to check how big this target audience actually is.
Or make it a menu choice. Add a diversity slider. There I fixed it.

But now I’m surprising myself to even type down all these letters about this game. I should stop and start another playthrough of Elden Ring instead. We all should. Why are we even here?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not my type of game but I think the real problem is the art and character designs. It may seem shallow but if I’m bored or annoyed at how a game looks before even a reveal trailer is over then why would I bother downloading it to try it? Even free. Why?
Not shallow at all. everyone has preferences.

When it comes to shooters, I'm picky. I like grey and brown military settings WWII and modern settings. Once it gets wacky like COD BO4 or Infinite Warfare I tune out. It can be the best gameplay shooter ever. But I'd never play Concord or Overwatch or Fortnite kind of games.

I doubt that the game designers, level designers, programmers, online infrastructure engineers, animators, ground-level artists and QA testers responsible for what beneath that ugly coat of paint is a well-crafted and extremely polished FPS are to blame for the project leads, writers and art director's terrible call to go for this cringy Marvel-esque tone and woke and totally unappealing character designs.

Fire the studio leadership, keep the talent in the trenches and give them an already established IP with a cemented aesthetic and direction (Killzone, Resistance, or even Destiny for a spin-off game) and at least let them have a chance at redemption.
Nah. Make a statement. Fire them all. They can all find new jobs if they're good enough. That's how creative industries work. Long hours and no security, as it should be.

No... don't be daft.

1) Is not that big of a game. It's a MP-only hero shooter. It's targeted at a niche audience to begin with; i.e. Overwatch players.
2) That title goes to Haze. Haze was an unmitigated disaster.

Hypereides

Gold Member
I wonder what the characters looked like 6 years ago. These horrible designs and colors look more like the last 2-3 years.

2018 - 2024
dead-or-alive-5-2.jpg
concord-lawbreakers-1.jpg
There's actually a vid of Druckmann denouncing the imagery on the left. Its what's lead us down this slope of current boring and uninspiring character designs being created by American AAA studios atm. For the record, I don't think every female character needs to be a total babe, but completely ditching that concept entirely is/was an asinine idea.

We're in a climate where market conditions are optimal for a sequel to Bloodrayne or something, made by an American studio, that doesn't hold back on the seductive femme fatale lead.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Na too hard for call of doodie players
I managed to platinum it when getting a team together to take down bunkers and move on to other objects
Ikr

The only thing truly broken was people's ability to apply any form of strategy.

Also,

SVER 4 Life..!!🙃

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
MAG was fun but far too ambitious for the hardware it released on. The signature mode often felt like a slideshow.

simpatico

Gold Member
This kind of shit, dredging up personal workplace history of individual devs, is just disgusting behaviour. Buy the game or don’t, this crap is just… bleurgh.
You can't tell the story of Concord without it. Cost of being a public figure. The Professor could have a nice private life doing PLC code if he wants.

Holy shit there's a link to his blog in the twitter bio. This person might be better served with some inpatient mental treatment. Scary who we share a world with. Read at your own risk.

Last edited:
Top Bottom