• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

is e3 for people not in the industry yet?

In May, I probably won't be workin in the games industry since I'm going back to school(after my terrible accident). I was just wondering if it was open to other people(non press or games industry related people) since I'd really like to go there, this year.

thanks.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
no, you have to be in the industry.

previously "in the industry" was fairly easy to bypass, though in recent years they have been cracking down on it a little more.

Deku Tree

Someone once told me that anyone can buy a ticket but they are fairly expensive, whereas industry people get free tickets.

borghe

Deku Tree said:
Someone once told me that anyone can buy a ticket but they are fairly expensive, whereas industry people get free tickets.
lol.. no, they are not expensive.. I don't remember what I paid a few years ago but it was pretty much just my room and airfare.. the rest was negligible...

the trick is that you HAVE to be in the industry.. or appear to be.. I went with some friends who own their own development company so could pretty much say who was or wasn't employed by them.

Deku Tree

Well I don't know for a fact but someone who was in a position to know what they are talking about told me that anyone can buy a ticket to get into e3. The thing is that if your not listed as an "industry person" then the tickets are expensive.

borghe

well, I've gone multiple times before so I feel I am in a position to know what I'm talking about. :)

http://www.e3expo.com/e3expo/registration/

note at the bottom of the page

E3 Page said:
E3 is a trade event and is not open to the general public. No one under the age of 18 will be admitted, including infants.

and I guess that page answers why I only paid for room and airfare.. :p

jenov4

Sho Nuff said:
Any idiot can weasel his way in.

Exactly, it's not hard at all to setup a fake business that's in the industry. And I've seen tons of kids at E3 (I'm talking 8-12 year olds, not people who look young)

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
jenov4 said:
Exactly, it's not hard at all to setup a fake business that's in the industry. And I've seen tons of kids at E3 (I'm talking 8-12 year olds, not people who look young)

The easier way is to borrow a paycheck stub from someone who works at a valid retailer and just edit your information onto the stub.

Anyone talking about how they're cracking down is full of shit. If they didn't catch the shoddy work I sent in last year, the won't catch anyone.

borghe

Deku Tree said:
If only industry people get to go, and industry people don't pay, then who is paying?

Look @ these prices on their website
those prices are for packages.. if all you want is access to the exhibit floor it is free.

as for who is paying.. umm.. the exhibitors.. you think Nintendo gets all of that floor space for free?

as for wealing your way in with an actual badge, it has gotten harder. Years ago you used to be able to just put up a web page (didn't even need a domain name) with a couple of BS reviews and you could get in on a press pass. now you need one of:

* Resale Tax Certificate
* Company Credit Card
* Insurance Card
* Business Ad (with business card)
* Business License
* Commercial Lease (WITH COMPANY NAME)
* Paycheck Stub
* W-2 Form

of course you can always try to sneak into the convention center, especially if you find a thrown away badge outside, but I'm not dropping $300+ for air and hotel to hope to sneak in.

Minotauro said:
Anyone talking about how they're cracking down is full of shit. If they didn't catch the shoddy work I sent in last year, the won't catch anyone.
what I meant by cracking sown is how easy it used to be like 5-6 years ago.. you could throw up a site in like 2 hours that was capable of getting you admission. now it's either forgery or sneaking in.. hardly as easy as throwing a quick site together (not to mention a press pass is cooler than an attendee pass).

Deku Tree

borghe said:
those prices are for packages.. if all you want is access to the exhibit floor it is free.

as for who is paying.. umm.. the exhibitors.. you think Nintendo gets all of that floor space for free?

This is a price from that page for the "exhibit floor" only for 3 days which is clearly aimed at "attendees only" and not exhibitors:

Package Four - Exhibits Only

$275
$325

Package Four includes a three-day exhibit floor pass.

DrDogg

It's only free if you pre-register. After the pre-registration deadline, you have to pay unless you're media.

And of course, if you want more than exhibits only, you have to pay no matter what.

borghe

except that registration doesn't start until sometime next year.

as for the early bird $275 fee, I have no idea what that is.. the higher fee is what you are required to pay if you miss the early bird package 5. I can't imagine any way you would have to pay the $275.. and from the faq:

Is the show open to the public?
No, E3 is not open to the public. E3 is a trade event and only professionals from the industry will be allowed to attend. Individuals who are not able to document their direct, professional affiliation to the interactive entertainment industry are not qualified to attend E3. All E3 attendees are required to show government-issued photo I.D. (such as a driver's license or passport) upon request.

you CANNOT get in without being or appearing to be a part of the gaming industry.

from the sounds of it though, you could take an existing paycheck and forge the dates on it and be good to go.

Oni Jazar

When I went a few years ago you always had to pay a decent amount, even for the early registration. I think it was around $100 (though the prices seem to go up every year). It's the media passes that get in for free IIRC.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Define, "in the industry," because it was my understanding that anyone who mans a register at EB can get in as long as they can show a pay stub.

borghe

yes, manning the register at eb is in the industry.. basically you have to work for a game or game related company or work for a place that sells games or appeart o be in one of those situations. it isn't really hard to get in and they do very little fact checking, but a little more involved than just sending in large sums of money for a ticket.

Those of you who wish it was public have never experienced the hell that is TGS. Once you do, you appreciate it being a non public show. TGS showed me the longest line I've ever seen to get into anything.

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
Oni Jazar said:
When I went a few years ago you always had to pay a decent amount, even for the early registration. I think it was around $100 (though the prices seem to go up every year). It's the media passes that get in for free IIRC.

All qualified industry types can get in for free. The stuff about needing proof of industry connections like a W2 or what not is what you need to get approved to get in free, not necessarily to attend. That being said, they still say at the end of the form "this is an industry event only" but it's not like that really means anything. The cool thing now is once you've submitted your proof of industry once, you don't have to redo it. They just resend the free registration form to your work email.

You don't need the proof if you are willing to pay the money, which by the way is still way way way cheaper than GDC (-_-;;;). The admission price is also charged to anyone, industry proven or not, after the free registration period ends.

madara

How I loved these shows. They made my whole year. My friend promises me in 06 we start going again, see new systems. But I been long out of industry since disabled. No clue how we going to do it, but there sure is alot time figure that out hehe

M3wThr33

Banned
I've been 5 times. I just turned 21 on Wednesday. Yes, TWICE underage.

E3's "security" and "rules" are really just filler to keep out people who aren't dedicated to being there. Having something that looks threatening keeps out 90% of the people who will go just to get a free GBA from Nintendo. (I won one of them, my friend won one each year they did it)

Look again at that list of requirements. They just want a business licenese and card. They don't need to be related to gaming, because what if you want to get INTO a gaming publishing business? This is a good place to meet partners.

Previously when I wasn't considered "industry" I went under my father's company. He wholesales plumbing supply. (Haha, Mario joke) We got our passes just fine.
Of course, now I go under DigiPen and DmgIce.com (So I can get a media badge), and last year I didn't need to submit anything. I just registered under the returning-person thingie they setup. All too easy.

5 year outline:
2000 - Complimentary pass from Saffire
2001 - DmgIce.com
2002 - My father's company
2003 - DigiPen
2004 - Alumni registration

Edit:
Of course, my family lives in Los Angeles, so for the summer I can visit them and drive to E3 each day, or take a 40 minute train ride. There's no risk of wasting plane tickets.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
why don't you go wear your leather jacket somewhere else, okay grandpa?

glattack1.jpg
leatherjacketsmall.jpg

Otaking

Hmm....I wonder if a struggling videogaming journalist would be able to attend to get some experience in the industry. Afterall...if half of Gaming-Age can get in, then why not me?

suikodan

It used to be a media/industry only event. Now everyone is going so unless you don't have any coverage to do, you can go.

Otherwise, the insane amount of unrelated people present will render you crazy, that is why I will nort return there.

Nothing major happens at GDC anyway, maybe some rushed announcements, but most people stagger their moves as a teaser at GDC for the development audience, then a big launch at E3. So, instead of showing everyone the PS3 at GDC, they'd likely show people what Blu-Ray is, and the potential it has for the media. It's more developer friendly, and they have lots of courses for developers and project managers.

E3, however, is more for purchasers, press, analysts, fund managers, and the GDC audience. Only thing is, if you went ahead and opened the flood gates, there would be a lot of big exhibitors who would pull out immediately. This show is a chance for them to show their goods to people who can determine if their product will be available to the masses. You used to be able to talk off to the side and get some real feedback about the build, but now, because of the level of promotion that everyone has put into these booths, you'll need a private room to get any business done. A lot of the business is done away from the show floor anyway. In fact, a lot of these companies are wondering if E3 is truly worth their while...

WarPig

WasabiKing said:
E3, however, is more for purchasers, press, analysts, fund managers, and the GDC audience. Only thing is, if you went ahead and opened the flood gates, there would be a lot of big exhibitors who would pull out immediately.

Most of the bigger companies remember the one CES that was open to the public, which was a nightmare of theft, vandalism, and other crowd control issues.

And yeah, we're starting to hear more and more rumblings questioning the value of a splashy E3 showing. It'll be interesting to see how the show develops over the next couple years, if more companies go the Atari/Rockstar route and just put up a token presence.

DFS.

So I work for a news/talk radio station. Since I'm media, could I get in on those merits?

Might be a fun little working vacation.

M3wThr33

Banned
I'll say it again:
To get into E3, simply send in a business license and a matching business card. That's all you need. Find someone who owns their own business and make up a business card for it. Fax it in and you are fine. That's how it is and always has been.

Rhindle

If you're willing to pay the $300 admission fee, you're in, no questions asked.

If you want a free floor pass, you need to send in 2 forms of ID which identify you as an industry person. But really just about any business card and pay stub will do, since they apparently don't screen much.

WarPig said:
And yeah, we're starting to hear more and more rumblings questioning the value of a splashy E3 showing. It'll be interesting to see how the show develops over the next couple years, if more companies go the Atari/Rockstar route and just put up a token presence.

Just my opinion here, as someone who has actually worked in the management side of trade shows...

Much like the rest of the gaming industry, everyone's looking to the big three companies to see what they'll do next, and in my short sighted opinion, they are EA, UbiSoft, and Nintendo. Nintendo is an interesting beast, considering that they always have a large showing, and they live off E3. Another user here has also mentioned that the only big showing is E3 for them, and other shows they definitely hold off... I don't think they'd go independant.

UbiSoft is trying real hard to adopt the level of operations, approval process, and marketing methods that EA currently employs. So, UbiSoft may desire to one-up everyone and throw their own event. I could only benefit them since they'll have their own press event (which all of you press types would attend in driving distance, car pooling away), invite analysts and fund managers, and if they can find an affordable location, open it up for one day to gamers, rather than do the bus tour...

As for EA, they know that when it comes down to it, E3 is a decent investment, and they make up the costs associated every year. Now, they're thinking if E3 is even necessary at this point, since they make so much money that perhaps they'll sell just as well WITHOUT E3. That's $500K in logistics alone saved, and that's not including flight, hotel, and expenses for all the reps they send to the show or pull away from the LA studio. Now, if they decided to host it closer to home, like the base, you know they'll have no problem getting buyers, press, retailers, etc... to head up there. If EA does a custom event, they can have it take off easily, they'll have to just use a lot of their resources and connections they have established right now.

All I know is, they'll have throw it late summer IMO. If it's too close to E3, more people will go to E3 instead because there is more companies to see in one place... It's also before the holidays.

Matt

The “No one under 18, no exception” thing is complete BS. A, when I went last year my badge said “Underage” on it, and B, there was a group of kids from the Make-A-Wish foundation there (not that letting them go was wrong, I’m just saying.)

MC Safety

skip said:
it would be so awesome if E3 got revamped into something other than what it is now.

It would be so awesome if they took everyone who just attends E3 to play games all day and maddeningly bug EVERYONE for free baubles, dropped them into a huge pit, refilled the hole, and paved over it.

I am just saying, is all.

WarPig

Disco Stu said:
It would be so awesome if they took everyone who just attends E3 to play games all day and maddeningly bug EVERYONE for free baubles, dropped them into a huge pit, refilled the hole, and paved over it.

I second the motion, motion carried. Where can we rent a backhoe and a front-end loader?

DFS.

WarPig

DSN2K said:
I think it should be open 1 day for the public myself.

The problem with doing it TGS-style is that the Japanese are generally a lot more polite than us in public. Like I say, CES was open to the public once back in the day, and folks who were there attest that shit got fucked with and ripped off left and right.

Not to mention that the LACC just couldn't handle the load. It's already packed to the gills as it is. Lowering what minimal barriers to admission currently exist would push the crowding problems well over the edge.

DFS.

borghe

Hell, just E3 in general is some pretty rude shit. People hanging out at kiosks for like 45 minutes straight, pushing and shoving for the "best seat" for new movie premieres, and just shoving around as they move...

yeah, let the public in there and you might as well just say fuck security because some people are going to get seriously pissed.

it would be kind of like the mall only 1 million times more aggravating.

Top Bottom