• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT7| A Great Trash Leader as Always

Eldren

So, it's confirmed, Seohyun will be the 4th member of SNSD after Taeyeon, Tiffany (lol), and Hyoyeon (lmao) to be going solo.

I wouldn't really classify Hyoyeon's song as going solo. It was just a Station release, same as Yoona had and a bunch of others. It was fun but SM basically did like 2 days of build-up (consisting of "Hyo is doing a song" followed by "It's called Mystery, here's a clip") and then nothing else. If that's considered a solo then SM are even worse than I thought lmao. She did say on her show this week that she wants to do a full album though so fingers crossed for that.

Is AOA the highest-profile flop in recent memory? The album came out yesterday and both title tracks are already out of the Melon top 100.

They haven't technically started promoting it yet, they start going on music shows and holding fansigns etc from the 5th I think? But yeah it's not going very well and llehuty is right, FNC are out of their minds. An album on New Year's Day when most people are out drinking and then hungover the next day, with no music shows or variety appearances booked until almost a week later, is idiotic.

Especially when you look at popularity trends for last year. People aren't checking for sexy concepts, it's been obvious for ages, but FNC seemed to miss that IOI and Twice were probably the biggest girl groups of 2016. Plus the likes of Gfriend who had a great year.

They're kind of like Miss A. Everyone knows who they are and can name some songs but they're carried by the one popular member. The problem is that FNC let that "controversy" last year spiral way out of control and instead of stepping in to support her they let netizens indulge in their worst nationalist misogynist tendencies for way too long. Zico being a lazy selfish bastard and refusing to even meet her outside certainly didn't help.

No No Eul

孟佳 Meng Jia - 她是谁(Who's That Girl)Official Music Video

보너스베이비(BONUSbaby) - 우리끼리(Urikiri)
The jpop is strong in this one. Although I don't mind this kind of concept for a kpop group, I'm pissed that they had to kill myB for it.

Wow, that really is some bargain basement J-pop. The contrast between that and the MV which is quite nicely shot is pretty odd.

Soompi said:
TWICE Breaks Yet Another K-Pop YouTube Record With “TT” Reaching 100 Million Views

As of January 3, the group’s “TT” music video now has over 100 million views on YouTube in just a little over two months since it was released on October 24. This makes it the fastest K-pop music video to reach this impressive milestone, a record that was previously held by the group’s very own “Cheer Up.”

It also holds the records for reaching 10 million and 20 million views in the shortest amount of time by a K-pop group, a remarkable feat in itself. “TT” marks TWICE’s third music video to reach 100 million views, after “Like OOH-AAH” and “Cheer Up,” which means all of their title tracks have done so.

TWICE YOU'RE THE BEST EVERYONE ELSE LOOKS LIKE A LOSER COMPARED TO YOU TWICE YOU'RE ON ANOTHER LEVEL TWICE YOU'RE REALLY THE BEST IN THE WORLD EVERYtHING FADES WHEN YOU'RE AROUND TWICE TWICE TWICE TWICE

K.A.R.D -170103 tbs citizen's broadcast K.A.R.D

[K-Poppin'] K.A.R.D - Oh NaNa

[360° Video] K.A.R.D(카드) _ K-Poppin'(Arirang Radio)

[ENG explanation] K.A.R.D 170102 K- Poppin Arirang Radio K.A.R.D

[ENG] —— Pops in Seoul _ K.A.R.D(카드) _ B.M(비엠) _ Profile

[ENG] —— Pops in Seoul _ K.A.R.D(카드) _ Jeon Ji-woo(전지우) _ Profile

[ENG] —— Pops in Seoul _ K.A.R.D(카드) _ J.SEPH(제이셉) _ Profile

[ENG] —— Pops in Seoul _ K.A.R.D(카드) _ Jeon So- min(전소민) _ Profile

[ENG SUB] K.A.R.D - 161229 Rookie Show K.A.R.D Profile cut

R1920x0

Lastly a quick and late thank you to feist for all the Twice and especially Mina posts you did. You make my day every time!

Been busy these holidays, so here's my Best of 2016
http://i.imgur.com/iMUzoT2.jpg

Happy birthday Yuna

Yuna hype.
she looks greato

What's not good though is the number of goats Eugene sacrificed to the gods to stay gorgeous. I'm not even a woman and I totally feel that it's unfair that she's still beautiful at this age. I know she's only 35 and all but she looks like she's in her 20's, meanwhile her peers, while gorgeous as well, they look like they're in their 30's unlike her.

Will f(x), Miss A and Secret survive 2017 without disbanding?

TWICE YOU'RE THE BEST EVERYONE ELSE LOOKS LIKE A LOSER COMPARED TO YOU TWICE YOU'RE ON ANOTHER LEVEL TWICE YOU'RE REALLY THE BEST IN THE WORLD EVERYtHING FADES WHEN YOU'RE AROUND TWICE TWICE TWICE TWICE

보너스베이비(BONUSbaby) - 우리끼리(Urikiri)
The jpop is strong in this one. Although I don't mind this kind of concept for a kpop group, I'm pissed that they had to kill myB for it.

Boss★Moogle;227358660 said:
Choa[, Yuna] and some other girls. Seriously though Choa's hair is perfect here, I hope she doesn't grow it out further.

Jimin ruins every single AOA track. Delete her. Now lets appreciate Queen Choa
http://puu.sh/t7Xnm/5098ca01c2.gif
http://puu.sh/t7XAL/5c76fa0f03.gif

Tiffany remains trash in 2017. Happy New Year K-Poppers. 🍾

*Victoria*

PInk Tape

Banned
Those NCT teasers sure are something

Breaking news: you can have a hip hop concept without appropriating black culture to achieve it. There are so many ways you can have your idols look to match the cool and swag look but in a unique way that doesn't play on stereotypes @KPop Companies.

One of my wishes for 2017 is that NCT can be decently dressed for a comeback. Just one.

They haven't technically started promoting it yet, they start going on music shows and holding fansigns etc from the 5th I think? But yeah it's not going very well and llehuty is right, FNC are out of their minds. An album on New Year's Day when most people are out drinking and then hungover the next day, with no music shows or variety appearances booked until almost a week later, is idiotic.

Especially when you look at popularity trends for last year. People aren't checking for sexy concepts, it's been obvious for ages, but FNC seemed to miss that IOI and Twice were probably the biggest girl groups of 2016. Plus the likes of Gfriend who had a great year.

They're kind of like Miss A. Everyone knows who they are and can name some songs but they're carried by the one popular member. The problem is that FNC let that "controversy" last year spiral way out of control and instead of stepping in to support her they let netizens indulge in their worst nationalist misogynist tendencies for way too long. Zico being a lazy selfish bastard and refusing to even meet her outside certainly didn't help.

I agree.

I honestly want to know what FNC thought would happen. AOA don't deserve to flop like this especially after that shitty scandal.

It also sucks that sexy concepts are being pushed to the wayside. Don't get me wrong, I love cute concepts but variety is nice.

PInk Tape

Banned
[MV] 우주소녀(WJSN) _ 너에게 닿기를(I Wish)
So forgettable. They have a solid visual concept, but this song seems like an step back after Secret.

=/ It sounds like a filler track

Maybe the album has better songs on it...?

AKMU - '오랜 날 오랜 밤 (LAST GOODBYE)' M/V
This is good as well, much more AKMUesque than their prev' titles.

This on the other hand sounds great.

tumblr_inline_nfxbyp6Lmn1r03z6r.gif

llehuty

I honestly want to know what FNC thought would happen. AOA don't deserve to flop like this especially after that shitty scandal.

It also sucks that sexy concepts are being pushed to the wayside. Don't get me wrong, I love cute concepts but variety is nice.

Sexy concepts are doing fine, I don't think EXID or Sistar had any problem with their latest comebacks.

Eldren

I agree.

Yep, variety is the spice of life and all that. There's plenty of room for all kinds of concepts, and I'd hate to see girl groups all end up with similar sounding albums and cookie cutter looks. Luckily I don't think we're quite there yet, there are still groups with quirky and interesting concepts.

Sexy concepts are doing fine, I don't think EXID or Sistar had any problem with their latest comebacks.

*Sexy concepts with songs the Korean public like.

#StopBravesound2017

Edit: Also want to echo the opinions on I Wish here. Felt like a bit of step down for WJSN, which was somewhat expected because Secret was so good. Not a fan of the MV either. Not necessarily the visuals, they were fine and something that's not very common, but the fact that it felt like half the group barely got screentime. It always makes me sad when members who already have fewer lines aren't shown actually singing them (eg. Mei Qi in this case.)

Also2: great post feist.

No No Eul

llehuty

[MV] MIXX(믹스) _ Love Is a Sudden(사랑은 갑자기)

I've no idea who these nugus are (llehutybro?) and the MV is whatever but the song itself is a lovely little R&B/pop gem.

Sorry, this group also caught me of guard. Their debut is also in the same vein. Quite refreshing (but probably going nowhere).

[MV] TopSecret(일급비밀 ) _ She - Newly debuted boygroup, It's a classic Sweetune production! I always enjoy 'cutesy' Sweetune if the group pulls it off, this one does.

Edit: well they've actually been active for some months, this is just the debut of their own album I guess. They're also a Makestar project.
Didn't know this was Sweetune. A bit uninspired, IMO.

Kazzy

Sorry, this group also caught me of guard. Their debut is also in the same vein. Quite refreshing (but probably going nowhere).

Most of the time, what catches fire just leaves me scratching my head, I'm not going to lie.

Anybody else listened to 'Best of 2016: K-Pop' playlist on Spotify? The hit/miss rate is pretty sketchy at best, but at least I'm discovering what tracks I actually know, heard countless times, yet am only now finally putting names to them.

Like, how the hell did I sleep on 'Decalcomanie' ?!?!

BTW, for anyone unable to view this gif:

Edit2:

that's my birthday so i have to like it. please be good =)
Happy Birthday!

APRIL - "April Story" Music Video
Title track is just there...

Take this gif as a present instead:
9164833.jpg

916483398sn5.gif

Those NCT teasers sure are something

Breaking news: you can have a hip hop concept without appropriating black culture to achieve it. There are so many ways you can have your idols look to match the cool and swag look but in a unique way that doesn't play on stereotypes @KPop Companies.

One of my wishes for 2017 is that NCT can be decently dressed for a comeback. Just one.
At times I can't decide which is worse: the elements of K-Pop which are wholesale copies of J-Pop, or the ones that are wholesale copies of Hip-Hop and R&B from the U.S. With international producers contributing and the nature of music not existing within a vacuum you'll always have influences from across the globe. This is a good thing.

Some of the outright clone approaches can be troubling though, particularly when the emulation of the cultures that are being copied devolve into offensive caricatures. Some of the more popular K-Pop acts and rappers have been guilty of this. To a lesser extent Rock, Electronic and other genres can also suffer from these issues.

I've said it in these threads for years; as much as I love K-Pop and Hip-Hop there's a degree of cognitive dissonance that goes along with certain aspects of it.

R1920x0

"Catch Me if You Can" is one of SNSD's best releases in recent years.

Their 2015 SBS Gayo Daejun stage is easily their best performance of the song. Nearly all good streamable uploads of it from legit sites have been taken down over the past year. Here are some mirrors:

Top quality:
Naver [가요대전] 걸크러쉬 폭발! 소녀시대 - Catch Me If You Can

151227 GIRLS' GENERATION - Catch Me If You Can + Lion Heart - SBS Gayo Daejun

[가요대전] 걸크러쉬 폭발! 소녀시대 - Catch Me If You Can

SBS [연기대상] 2015 대상 주원, 눈물의 소감 “사람 냄새나는 배우 되겠다”

Dailymotion
[1080p HD] 151227 2015 SBS GAYO DAEJUN : SNSD CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

151227 Girls Generation (소녀시대) - Catch Me If You Can @ 2015 SBS Gayo Daejun

YouTube
151227 [HD/Viewable] SNSD-Catch Me If You Can @ 5B5 Gayo Daejun 2015

Random gifs
http://jan-apr.tistory.com/36
http://taeyeon-fan.com/index.php?mid=data&document_srl=129117

2015 가요대전 소녀시대
[SBS AWARDS FESTIVAL] 2015 SAF 가요대전소녀시대(Girls Generation) - Catch Me If You Can

tumblr_o01d7bwp091s5qh0sk3.gif
tumblr_o01d7bwp091s5qhtsaf.gif
tumblr_o01d7bwp091s5qluslx.gif
tumblr_o01d7bwp091s5qqjsqi.gif

tumblr_o01d7bwp091s5q53sbr.gif
tumblr_o01d7bwp091s5qfbs8g.gif
tumblr_o01d7bwp091s5qjqs91.gif
tumblr_o01d7bwp091s5qlrstr.gif

This performance is peak SNSD.

ramyeon

So, Wonder Girls looking likely to leave JYP once their contracts are up next month. Shopping around for new agencies, no talk of breaking up though.

End of an era tbh. Shame since their past two comebacks have been some of the best things in Kpop for years.

Kazzy

·feist·;227694057 said:
At times I can't decide which is worse: the elements of K-Pop which are wholesale copies of J-Pop, or the ones that are wholesale copies of Hip-Hop and R&B from the U.S. With international producers contributing and the nature of music not existing within a vacuum you'll always have influences from across the globe. This is a good thing.

Some of the outright clone approaches can be troubling though, particularly when the emulation of the cultures that are being copied devolve into offensive caricatures. Some of the more popular K-Pop acts and rappers have been guilty of this. To a lesser extent Rock, Electronic and other genres can also suffer from these issues.

I've said it in these threads for years; as much as I love K-Pop and Hip-Hop there's a degree of cognitive dissonance that goes along with certain aspects of it.

Yeah, pretty much, and the closer you stray to that line, it more blatant it becomes for the audience. The comparisons are not favorable once they start inviting them.

Maybe I've responded to this exact comment from you before, but it's never not relevant in the case of K-Pop!

Holy mother of throwbacks... was out for some dranks with Horse Fany and friends and as we were leaving the bar her iPhone automatically plays IU's Someday on the stereo.

We ended up listening to Dream High's OST on the drive home and it was awesome haha.

Whatever happened to those cheesy, poppy and melodical K-Pop?

Fuuuuuuuuu. I might need to rewatch Dream High soon.

llehuty

Anybody else listened to 'Best of 2016: K-Pop' playlist on Spotify? The hit/miss rate is pretty sketchy at best, but at least I'm discovering what tracks I actually know, heard countless times, yet am only now finally putting names to them.

Like, how the hell did I sleep on 'Decalcomanie' ?!?!
Spotify kpop playlists are all over the place, most of the time. I honestly feel like anyone in this community could do a better work. But it is indeed a good way to discover new tracks, or bring back some songs you forgot about. And yes, decalcomanie is my favourite Mamamoo track so far.

·feist·;227694057 said:
"Catch Me if You Can" is one of SNSD's best releases in recent years.

Their 2015 SBS Gayo Daejun stage is easily their best performance of the song.
Co-signed. Although you have to at least like EDM a bit to enjoy it, IMO.

So, Wonder Girls looking likely to leave JYP once their contracts are up next month. Shopping around for new agencies, no talk of breaking up though.

End of an era tbh. Shame since their past two comebacks have been some of the best things in Kpop for years.
A bit sad, but at least JYP won't probably block them. Wishful thinking, but if only they could regroup with Sohee *_*

llehuty

Hyuna doing a North American tour:

Montreal Feb 22
Toronto Feb 24
Chicago Mar 1
New York Mar 3
Washington D.C. Mar 6

There is also talks for LA.

Weird timing to do this, I don't think international fans liked that much how the 4minute disbandment went. 4minutebot is probably already printing flyers for the concerts, showing the like/dislikes ratios of her MVs on youtube.

Also: f(x) Krystal to release a solo mini album in February

Google translate:
According to one official, Krystal will release her first solo album in the form of a mini album in February. [...] her teammates Amber had a solo record in February 2015, and Luna in May 2016. Crystal has been cautious to raise the level of perfection since last year.

UPDATE:
SM Entertainment representatives have come out to say that nothing has been decided about Krystal's solo debut.
Keep in mind SM always denies stuff like this, the chances of it happening are still pretty high.

Edit: This video is hilarious:
Meoributeo Balkkeutkkaji 2016 (머리부터 발끝까지)

Kazzy

Spotify kpop playlists are all over the place, most of the time. I honestly feel like anyone in this community could do a better work. But it is indeed a good way to discover new tracks, or bring back some songs you forgot about. And yes, decalcomanie is my favourite Mamamoo track so far.

True, but I'm still basking in the warm glow of them actually having K-pop on there now. There was a time when I went with Apple music, simply because they had a good selection

*shudders*

---------------------------------

And I just caught the previous comment, who doesn't like 'Catch Me if you Can'? One of the few (recent) GG tracks that I can say I like without reservation.

llehuty

True, but I'm still basking in the warm glow of them actually having K-pop on there now. There was a time when I went with Apple music, simply because they had a good selection

*shudders*
Yep, that is true, there are also very niche artists and nugus there. No JYP pisses me off, though. I hope no one else follows them. I also think that Gfriend's full album isn't there, and obviously some old stuff, but other than that, it's good.

Kazzy

Yep, that is true, there are also very niche artists and nugus there. No JYP pisses me off, though. I hope no one else follows them. I also think that Gfriend's full album isn't there, and obviously some old stuff, but other than that, it's good.

Yeah, no Wonder Girls is bad.

They'd just be able to feature 'Reboot' by itself and just tell everybody to listen to it. Perfect gateway!

llehuty

I know Pendulum is the one doing the Golden Tambourine posts, but this needs to be shared now:

Jo Kwon doing Lee Jung Hyun's Wa
Our angle Lizzy doing Lee Jung Hyun's Bakkwo

I need a Lee Jung Hyun comeback now.

Alice Vicious (Formerly LiVii) - 風来バースト! (Audio)
Drop is quite lazy, but the rest is good.

DAY6 "I Wait(아 왜)" M/V

Such a good song. More of a rock sound but it's awesome.
Not at the level of Letting Go, but still good.

llehuty

I wasn't feeling the single, but the album is great, except for track 2. Which is hilariously the exact same opinion I had with their debut album. After first listen I think the 1st mini is better overall, but we will see.

Highlight: Back 2 U It's fantastic and unpredictable on first listen. There is one moment at the end that I thought Spotify skipped tracks or something.

Spotify link for the album

Kazzy

Finally got round to listening to the new AOA tracks...and yeah.

'Excuse Me' has a catchy chorus, and it eventually worked to bring the song together for me by the end. Well, except for the rapping. I've kind of become accustomed to the typical idol 'rapping', but this just grated on me. Good song, regardless.

'Bing Bing' is so generic that I literally had to listen to it again whilst typing this, just to try and convenience myself it wasn't as bland as I thought. It is!

llehuty

The name is good, but is not pointing to the concept I would like them to have. Sounds cutesy.

On the other hand, Dream Catcher sounds also very cute and look how is that shapping up.

I hope Twice are actually being given the chance to have a rest whilst they're in Australia, they're due a holiday.

EDIT: As this is the start of a new page, I'll use it to tell everyone to go watch Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo. Best drama of 2016 (Even though it's ending in 2017)

cb2I3wX.gif

Top Bottom