• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kai Cole, Joss Whedon's Ex-Wife, calls him out as a 'Hypocrite Preaching Feminism'

I don't fucking care about how you want to deal with your relationship messes.

Did I ever call Joss an awful feminist for this? I mentioned what cheating could have to do with feminism. A lot of people think a big part of feminism is focusing on people (particularly women but not exclusively) being able to make informed decisions about their bodies. You know what is the opposite of an informed decision? Have unprotected sex with someone who lies to you about not having sex with anyone else and not having any STDs.

Yes, so we're talking about being deceitful, dishonest, untrustworthy, selfish, etc...

Isn't it really weird that I haven't heard anybody, even on this forum, evoke feminism in any way associated with infidelity until Joss's wife did?

Kinsei

Banned
Uhhh...

If Joss Whedon is using his fame and position to step out on his wife and hook up with impressionable young actresses and fans, that doesn't make him a bad feminist; that makes him a bad person, period.

It's strange to tie infidelity and coercion directly to feminism.

It does both.

Misha

Banned
frustrating that it always goes back to claiming that the woman can't be trusted 🙄
Uhhh...

If Joss Whedon is using his fame and position to step out on his wife and hook up with impressionable young actresses and fans, that doesn't make him a bad feminist; that makes him a bad person, period.

It's strange to tie infidelity and coercion directly to feminism.

People can be feminists and I'm pretty sure most feminists are people

Overall its clear he lacks respect for women.

Pizoxuat

Are there any accusations of violating bodily autonomy or consent, here?

Yes, the wife specifically calls out that because she didn't know of his cheating, she continued to sleep with him, and she has no idea if he was protected during his cheating episodes or if he brought home STDs with him. That is violating bodily autonomy, he introduced risk without giving her a chance to decline that risk.

JeTmAn81

I'm surprised Joss Whedon is a serial cheater.

I'm surprised his wife told the world about it.

This makes me sad. I still like his work, though.

Karkador

Banned
Can't wait to tell my ex girlfriend what an awful feminist she's been for cheating on me. LOL

Do you realize how silly that sounds?

I don't think you're looking at the male privilege angle of this.

The point of this story is that Whedon tries to wear a feminist brand when he's survived on a wishy-washy career for so long because of a strong male privilege working for him in his life and job. Personally, I'd take the feminist claims more seriously if he did much more for it than cast women he's interested in having sex with.

norm9

Yes, the wife specifically calls out that because she didn't know of his cheating, she continued to sleep with him, and she has no idea if he was protected during his cheating episodes or if he brought home STDs with him. That is violating bodily autonomy, he introduced risk without giving her a chance to decline that risk.

She might write she didnt, but she probably did. She liked staying married to him and the perks that came along with it.

Pau

Yes, so we're talking about being deceitful, dishonest, untrustworthy, selfish, etc...

Isn't it really weird that I have heard anybody, even on this forum, evoke feminism in any way associated with infidelity until Joss's wife did?
Maybe you want to go back to my posts in threads about cheating where I talk about this very thing. Just because I wasn't using the hashtag #feminism doesn't mean it isn't an opinion informed by it.

If you want to really go into it, my position of infidelity being a feminist issue is coming from reading feminist scholars' work on HIV and other STDs having particular patterns of contagion for women.

Kinsei

Banned
You can be a feminist and still cheat on your wife. I mean maybe he just wasn't happy in that relationship.

If you don't respect the woman you've married enough to maintain a monogamous relationship then it's kinda hard to call yourself a feminist.

royalan

frustrating that it always goes back to claiming that the woman can't be trusted 🙄

People can be feminists and I'm pretty sure most feminists are people

Overall its clear he lacks respect for women.

No, I get that. I just think that it's weird that this criticism of Joss is so focused on his feminism. Yeah, he's a shit feminist. But more than that, he's a shit person, regardless of what anyone thinks of the feminist label.

The notion that power imbalances necessarily meaningfully eliminate consent is rather reductionist, and is arguably at the heart of the equally fallacious argument that prostitution is inherently exploitative and evil because money, as a whole, is non-optional. "Sleep with me, or you won't get the part", stated directly or implicitly, would make him a pretty shitty feminist, but there is no indication that is the case baed on this account. Women can, in fact, elect to use their sexuality, and men's relatively higher sex drive and relatively lower value in the sexual marketplace, to their advantage. Without additional information, the actual dynamic at play, here, is unknown, and focusing in on one detail to the exclusion of all other potentially pertinent ones is just kinda lazy.

joss, what the fuck

I'm not surprised, like many in this thread are not either. Joss Whedon has always had this morally superior smugness about him when it came to his "feminism". He thought that made it okay to make the plethora of sexist jokes in Firefly, or even Dollhouse as a whole.

Really interesting to hear that he is a Fanbase Fucker, though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Maybe you want to go back to my posts in threads about cheating where I talk about this very thing. Just because I wasn't using the hashtag #feminism doesn't mean it isn't an opinion informed by it.

If you want to really go into it, my position of infidelity being a feminist issue is coming from reading feminist scholars' work on HIV and other STDs having particular patterns of contagion for women.

That's the thing, based on the post it's not like they were in a consenting poly/open marriage, so yes, it is problematic when tied to issues of consent.

DeathyBoy

Banned

He said in an interview "I'm always angry" was deeply personal writing. Then in AOU, they show Bruce almost sleeping with a younger woman on an awkward will they/won't they, during which the woman says she's a monster, then she betrays him.

Hmm...

see5harp

I think the weirdest thing about this whole thing is that there are people who actually worship this dude. Dollhouse was fucking trash.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Tim Burton is pretty blatant with his "muses." Meet them on set, date them, cast them in all your movies. Lather, rinse, repeat.

It sounds like Joss was creepin' and keeping it quiet. Best response is probably gonna be no response here. They got kids, you really don't want to make this anymore public than it is. He denies too loudly, she might produce those alleged letters.

I don't know, is he a scumbag? Maybe. But I'm not gonna give too much credence to a blog post from an ex-partner.

Now, when it comes to his writing, all I'll say is that as much as giving him Batgirl was a stroke of genius for the DCEU, I really don't look forward to how he's going to handle that character. I hope he's gonna stay as far away from anything related to The Killing Joke as possible because that could easily get Bruce Timm ugly.

The notion that power imbalances necessarily meaningfully eliminate consent is rather reductionist, and is arguably at the heart of the equally fallacious argument that prostitution is inherently exploitative and evil because money, as a whole, is non-optional. "Sleep with me, or you won't get the part", stated directly or implicitly, would make him a pretty shitty feminist, but there is no indication that is the case baed on this account. Women can, in fact, elect to use their sexuality, and men's relatively higher sex drive and relatively lower value in the sexual marketplace, to their advantage. Without additional information, the actual dynamic at play, here, is unknown, and focusing in on one detail to the exclusion of all other potentially pertinent ones is just kinda lazy.

stole my thoughts, yeah.

entremet

If you don't respect the woman you've married enough to maintain a monogamous relationship then it's kinda hard to call yourself a feminist.
I see it more as a lack of respect to the person,Kai Cole, not womankind.

It does get complex when talking about his power advantages as others have mentioned. But specifically on cheating? Harder case to make.

Volimar

I think the weirdest thing about this whole thing is that there are people who actually worship this dude. Dollhouse was fucking trash.

Dichen Lachman had an episode in Dollhouse that was one of the most powerful performances I'd ever seen. It blew me away. But yeah there was a lot of garbage too.

Pretty much.

Ronin Ray

You don't go around talking about being a feminist and do this stuff though. That's the difference. Would anyone care if this was like, Tom Brady or some other celebrity who has no political opinions of positions?

Tom Brady would be the one getting cheated on

Zolo

I see it more as a lack of respect to the person,Kai Cole, not womankind.

It does get complex when talking about his power advantages as others have mentioned. But specifically on cheating? Harder case to make.

Yeah. I was interested in how that reflects on being a feminist, and if it works the opposite way as well with a woman cheating on a guy.

Kinyou

He said in an interview "I'm always angry" was deeply personal writing. Then in AOU, they show Bruce almost sleeping with a younger woman on an awkward will they/won't they, during which the woman says she's a monster, then she betrays him.

Hmm...
Doesn't he betray her by running away?

Pizza

Not shocked at all.

Same, I can honestly say I've never been a whedon fan. For me, it stemmed from stuff I saw him say live at awards ceremonies and stuff. Always seemed like a guy who waved the feminist flag in a self serving way which is damnable to me

Keri

It looks hypocritical to say you respect women when you repeatedly and habitually disrespect the one woman you committed to hold above all others.

Yeah, this. I wouldn't say it discredits his whole career, but it means he failed at treating the most important woman in his life with respect. When it came down to it, her feelings didn't matter. So, personally, I wonder how well he's doing treating other, less significant women (after he sleeps with them).

Squire

Banned
Yikes. Feels like this aspect of Whedon's persona has been in a death spiral since AoU.

That might be where the spiral started, but he's always been a divisive figure among feminists. I'd say I like him - I think his work is hit or miss - and this isn't all that surprising.

norm9

I'm no fan of Joss whedon, but I think he comes across better than her with the editors note at the end of the article-

Editor’s Note: A spokesperson for Joss Whedon provided the following response, “While this account includes inaccuracies and misrepresentations which can be harmful to their family, Joss is not commenting, out of concern for his children and out of respect for his ex-wife.”

Top Bottom