• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Discussion

Well, I just had my save file get corrupted after playing MP with y'all tonight. Luckily I wasn't too far into campaign, and all the MP stuff is on a server somewhere.

I would've lost my shit if my level 370 something character would've lost everything.

Damn, that sucks. Can you download your cloud save?

Eusis

Other features I'd like to see:
  • Proximity Enemy Chat like KZ2 (Being able to pinpoint blabbermouth enemies was great, as was taunting after a good kill). I loved how it faded off the further they got.
I'm honestly surprised this isn't standard in online games. Makes so much sense and could be more legitimately immersive if done right, though you might have to start banning party chat to get it support right.

kurbaan

Banned
I thought so too. Most shocking omission of any launch game I've seen so far. Otherwise excellent MP experience...but no mic support took me back to FPS gaming before Xbox LIVE launched. This shit SUCKS.

Too many times I've wanted to ask for help to secure an objective or to request someone switch to support class...and I just fucking can't. Because there are no fucking mics.

Forget Xbox Live this is like before PS2 days. Online launch of PS2 had mics day 1 with socom.

The MP is great but unless I'm playing with GAF i just feel bored mostly because like lotta people here said there is no sounds. Like no music, voices of characters etc. Switching between this and COD is so vast. Even if you are just running around getting spawn killed in COD there is so much going on like there is music, constant shouting by the characters, explosions. Killzone *crickets*

Well, I just had my save file get corrupted after playing MP with y'all tonight. Luckily I wasn't too far into campaign, and all the MP stuff is on a server somewhere.

I would've lost my shit if my level 370 something character would've lost everything.

That sucks man hopefully you had cloud saves on. It was lotta fun playing with you guys today.

GodofWine

After 3 hours of play everything is clicking now...While I still make mistakes in menus I think I know my way around

And gameplay wise (minus chat and clan complaints) this MP is phenomenal, skill rewarded but still fun enough to hop in and run and gun.

I added myself to the google doc. I too am having issues with how quiet the game is. One benefit from the silence is that it does make the game more stressful if things are tight. Anyhoo, I'll be on this evening and will add some of the folks near me (time-zone wise).

Rising_Hei

I'm honestly surprised this isn't standard in online games. Makes so much sense and could be more legitimately immersive if done right, though you might have to start banning party chat to get it support right.

Socom was the first series to do this if im not mistaken

Multiplayer is just too damn quiet imo. The lack of any type of character chatter in game makes it feel unpolished. I mean all I hear are grunts, where's the "I'm down!!", "VSA SCUM!!" or w/e?? At least give the characters in game some type of personality.

Killzone multiplayer will never sound as good as KZ2. Radec shouting at you over comms was the best.

Played MP for the first time and had a blast, didn't do too bad either. Mic wasn't working because of some NAT setting, will have to look into it.

Boogat

I had the same thing happen to me the other night. I was already in a match, when my party chat joined a new game and it prompted me to hit 'option' to join. When I did that, my game crashed. Booted KZ back up and it told me my save was corrupted. Only had maybe 1hr in the campaign, so wasn't that big of a deal, but it would have been a real kick in the balls if I was much farther along.

X-Frame

Yeah, the MP is too quiet at times. Can't they add in some music in the background and some character chatter?

I'd be down with character chatter like if your character spots a Scout, or reacting to a fallen soldier, and even music that started when you successfully won a round, or won a S&D objective for example. Epic music that played after awesome shit happened.

MADGAME

Encountered a weird glitch yesterday in The Station. An enemy was frozen in place and could not be moved or killed. I'm not sure if this was an intentional exploit or perhaps the player left and the game stored him as an artifact. The other team had a player or two camping near the "mannequin", gunning down any players who attempted to kill him.

It didn't take long for my team to realize what was happening, but the bad guys managed to get several kills from it in a team deathmatch.

NFvh2T5.png

GodofWine

Encountered a weird glitch yesterday in The Station. An enemy was frozen in place and could not be moved or killed. I'm not sure if this was an intentional exploit or perhaps the player left and the game stored him as an artifact. The other team had a player or two camping near the "mannequin", gunning down any players who attempted to kill him.

It didn't take long for my team to realize what was happening, but the bad guys managed to get several kills from it in a team deathmatch.

Had the same thing, assume the player quit or got disconnected..I clubbed the shit out of him with my rifle too.

Does that totally epic looking/sounding shoulder fired rifle_cannon thing actually hit people?? through the scope it looks like I leveled the target area, particles and smoke everywhere yet I cant hit shit...still epic though.

Voidance

I just added myself to the spreadsheet and will start adding people in and around my timezone. I hope to start playing multiplayer pretty regularly by the weekend and I'll probably suck for a little while.

X-Frame

Does that totally epic looking/sounding shoulder fired rifle_cannon thing actually hit people?? through the scope it looks like I leveled the target area, particles and smoke everywhere yet I cant hit shit...still epic though.

You mean the Voltage gun on the Support class? Yeah, I am not sure about that one, it seems to be the least effective gun for the Support and I am not very sure when using it would be preferred over the other weapons.

Scoping in takes precious time so running and gunning with it is completely out. There is also a delay between the particle bursts hitting their target, but I assume it should offer decent splash damage, but I think it needs to be substantially increased to make the weapon viable. Could be good for an Engineer watching over an area from high ground, but I would still rather take the Minigun for crowd control.

Anyone have any success with that gun? I haven't used it much yet, and I'm sure I'm missing something with it.

Also as per Dreams-Visions in an earlier page, the Spoor on the Scout really is terrible. The bursts need to not have any firing limit at all, it should be like normal burst firing weapons where you can begin a new burst right after the last one ended, otherwise it will be completely or arched every time compared to the high-precision AR's in this game.

The charge up mechanic seems to add some extra options, but I still don't think it's worth taking over the other rifles for the Scout.

You mean the Voltage gun on the Support class? Yeah, I am not sure about that one, it seems to be the least effective gun for the Support and I am not very sure when using it would be preferred over the other weapons.

Scoping in takes precious time so running and gunning with it is completely out. There is also a delay between the particle bursts hitting their target, but I assume it should offer decent splash damage, but I think it needs to be substantially increased to make the weapon viable. Could be good for an Engineer watching over an area from high ground, but I would still rather take the Minigun for crowd control.

Anyone have any success with that gun? I haven't used it much yet, and I'm sure I'm missing something with it.

Also as per Dreams-Visions in an earlier page, the Spoor on the Scout really is terrible. The bursts need to not have any firing limit at all, it should be like normal burst firing weapons where you can begin a new burst right after the last one ended, otherwise it will be completely or arched every time compared to the high-precision AR's in this game.

The charge up mechanic seems to add some extra options, but I still don't think it's worth taking over the other rifles for the Scout.

The delay between shots for the Spoor is fucking laughable. Make it like the battle rifle or something of the sort from Halo and you will have a great gun. At least the Punt makes more sense than the Voltage or the Spoor.

I tried out Voltage gun and Minigun and just weren't for me. As Support, VC30 and the Pulver are the way to go, IMO.

MADGAME

Had the same thing, assume the player quit or got disconnected..I clubbed the shit out of him with my rifle too.

Same map?

beast786

just started last night.

pros: looks amazing. Love war zone as usual. Controls are perfect compromise.

Cons: I don't get the menu layouts, it took forever to figure out how to join a game. I was looking for join/spawn button after I pick the map. then finally realize that tiny bar on the too right was indicating map loading

GodofWine

Same map?

Nah, was in the forest.

just started last night.

pros: looks amazing. Love war zone as usual. Controls are perfect compromise.

Cons: I don't get the menu layouts, it took forever to figure out how to join a game. I was looking for join/spawn button after I pick the map. then finally realize that tiny bar on the too right was indicating map loading

They are aware of the confusing layout and have privately contacted a few of us here at NeoGaf for feedback on them.

I, despite being critical of them, have figured them out finally, once you realize that they start you on featured warzones and not All Warzone (even though the menu makes it look like All Warzones is selected), once you click All Warzones and see the browsing ability it kinda makes sense...as does loadouts and attachments.

Once you get used to it, its not much more difficult at all than BF or COD to find games or edit loadouts.

GG if you are reading here, make it not look like All Warzones is selected by default. they little blue arrow next to it, despite it being unselected is the problem. Add another option above it that says Featured Zones and start the blue arrow there.

and tell us in game when we unlocked something, its nice to be told those things.

The more I play the mp the more i'm liking this game. Teleporting as a sniper is just too fun. I almost never sniper, like ever in any game, but i'm having a hell of a time in this game.

JustSquid

Pretty much in love with this game.

I'm down to run scrims with some competitive players, feel free to add me: sQuiiDx (added name to spreadsheet as well).

Apoc87

Banned
Is there some sort of rage-quit hell for this game's MP?

I had to quit out of my first match because my ps4 wasnt outputting audio, now i'm scared it messed up my stats.

Is there a "disconnect matches" stat?

Is there some sort of rage-quit hell for this game's MP?

I had to quit out of my first match because my ps4 wasnt outputting audio, now i'm scared it messed up my stats.

Is there a "disconnect matches" stat?

I don't think there is - I've looked at the stats and didn't see anything that mentioned when I quit out of games.

man maybe this has been mentioned or brought up to GG already but are they working on changing the color of the font of your friends name in MP and also the color of their arrow in the radar as well? It's hard as fuck to figure out where my friends are in this game when playing MP, I just randomly stumble across them from time to time. It would be easier if the font was a more distinguishable color imo.

This game has some weird design choices: the UI, stat tracking, voice chat, lack of 24 player battles. I also feel it needs a much larger player base to really reach its potential. That said, it has some of the best gunplay, and a sense of competitiveness that all other recent shooters seem lack. It's not perfect but certainly better than the competition. I hope this game continues to grow in player base, it could be something special

GodofWine

This game has some weird design choices: the UI, stat tracking, voice chat, lack of 24 player battles. I also feel it needs a much larger player base to really reach its potential. That said, it has some of the best gunplay, and a sense of competitiveness that all other recent shooters seem lack. It's not perfect but certainly better than the competition. I hope this game continues to grow in player base, it could be something special

They added a 24 player official warzone and a 24 player official TDM area. They were both popular last night...the player base should come, its selling as well as COD and BF, europe is joining us soon, millions more ps4s will be sold over the next 8 weeks etc...and BF is broke as hell

So with the party chat, I have to be friends with the player? I dicked around a little yesterday but could only see friends or, friends of friends. Does that mean I have to invite strangers to be my friends in order to speak to them in game?

MADGAME

So with the party chat, I have to be friends with the player? I dicked around a little yesterday but could only see friends or, friends of friends. Does that mean I have to invite strangers to be my friends in order to speak to them in game?

I don't believe they have to be on your friends list but yes, you have to create and invite people to a party chat in order to speak to them.

STA_DMAmul

Neo Member
I'm generally competent at multiplayer shooters, but this game makes me feel dumb.

1. The menus are very confusing. It's difficult to see my progress towards challenges and unlocks. Not to praise COD, but I remember MW2 making it very easy to see my progression. With KZ, I have no idea if I am progressing towards new unlocks

2. Why am I able to hit X NOT to respawn? Why not just make respawning always automatic like every other game?

3. When you begin a game, while the map is loading it shows you all the game options..like EVERY single one. Is this necessary? Does the user really need to scroll through a list and see each and every change? Why not just show a summary?

I think the gameplay itself is great, when I am understanding it the shooting is a lot of fun but I just think they could have done a lot better of a job with the UI.

X-Frame

I'd like to see easier ways to see my challenges progress as well. I'm pretty OCD with challenges so I'd like to keep an eye on ones I'm nearing towards finishing.

I know there is the My Career screen where it shows you the highest progressed challenge in each of the 3 classes, but other than that it seems difficult to see what sort of ones to work towards.

I would love an option to view them on the Shadow Fall website too, unless I am missing it?

I had a lot of fantastic 24 player Team Deathmatch games last night. Framerate was really good throughout and the games themselves were hectic. had a game where we were getting our asses handed to us pretty good because we kept getting hemmed in our own spawn zone by a good team using a well balanced group. However, bring the sneaky fucker I am I was able to get past the enemy team and drop a spawn beacon just outside their own spawn zone and watched as our entire team spawn behind them, push them back and come close to winning the game.

Really good.

_Isaac

2. Why am I able to hit X NOT to respawn? Why not just make respawning always automatic like every other game?

Well sometimes there is a support medic nearby and you might want to wait a bit until he gets to you to revive you. That way you're up and back in the action closer to your objective.

I'm generally competent at multiplayer shooters, but this game makes me feel dumb.

1. The menus are very confusing. It's difficult to see my progress towards challenges and unlocks. Not to praise COD, but I remember MW2 making it very easy to see my progression. With KZ, I have no idea if I am progressing towards new unlocks

3. When you begin a game, while the map is loading it shows you all the game options..like EVERY single one. Is this necessary? Does the user really need to scroll through a list and see each and every change? Why not just show a summary?

I think the gameplay itself is great, when I am understanding it the shooting is a lot of fun but I just think they could have done a lot better of a job with the UI.

Agreed with the UI stuff...

They really need to make it so everything is more streamlined and to the point, as well as making it easy to track your progress on challenges.

Pop

After 3 hours of play everything is clicking now...While I still make mistakes in menus I think I know my way around

And gameplay wise (minus chat and clan complaints) this MP is phenomenal, skill rewarded but still fun enough to hop in and run and gun.

I'm loving the mp. Took awhile to get the hang of it but damn it feels good.

STA_DMAmul

Neo Member
Well sometimes there is a support medic nearby and you might want to wait a bit until he gets to you to revive you. That way you're up and back in the action closer to your objective.

Oh yes, forgot to mention this. Is there ever really a time when you WOULDN'T want to get revived? Why not just make it automatic instead of having to tap triangle? Sometimes you don't notice it...

Oh wow you're right. I forgot all about those.

http://www.killzone.com/kz3/en_US/blog/news/2013-09-03_kzsf-multiplayer-detailed.html

Combat Honors:
Combat Honors are temporary bonuses that can be activated by earning enough points during a round. These bonuses stay active for as long you continue play - when your play session ends, you lose your Combat Honors. Combat Honors include bonuses such as an increase to movement speed, etc.

Yeah, what happened? lol

Blood Gracht plz

GodofWine

Agreed with the UI stuff...

They really need to make it so everything is more streamlined and to the point, as well as making it easy to track your progress on challenges.

Here;s what will happen..

1 we all get used to it
2 they fix them
3 we are lost again
4 this is neogaf

but a tweak would be good for the new players who will be joining in.

Someone need to forward this to GG.

They need to add voice chat, some character chatter online, background music during matches and whatnot. The MP is BO-RING as hell when all of that is missing.

MADGAME

Oh yes, forgot to mention this. Is there ever really a time when you WOULDN'T want to get revived? Why not just make it automatic instead of having to tap triangle? Sometimes you don't notice it...

I've been in situations where revival results in repeated re-kills due to the number of enemies close by or being exposed in a vulnerable area. Most of the time a respawn is good; occasionally it's better to respawn at base or beacon and hoof it back.

Top Bottom