• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Discussion

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Absolutely I think so. I haven't been this addicted to MP since the original Black Ops. If GG keeps it updated, and consistently adds new content (warzones, etc.) then without a doubt.

I heard everything is unlocked from the start... that alone piqued my interest. So sick of unlock grinds, I was thinking about buying this just out of principle, but then I thought about it some more and really, the game part needs to be good too. haha

all future DLC is free as well I think I remember reading
Multiplayer maps will be free. Other DLC will still cost, like the horde mode.

I heard everything is unlocked from the start... that alone piqued my interest. So sick of unlock grinds, I was thinking about buying this just out of principle, but then I thought about it some more and really, the game part needs to be good too. haha
Weapons are unlocked, but attachments are still locked behind challenges. And you have some serious explosives in there.

My worry is when we start to see the high explosives come out - more insta-kills and imbalance to come.

GodofWine

I need an honest answer, in your opinion... will this MP have legs beyond 3-4 months?

Yes, the install base of PS4 a week ago was ZERO, dont look at player count online right now and say "oh no there are only 2000 people online".

PS4 users will quadruple by March, there is no other year one shooters coming out, KZ is selling strong in US and EU, EU joins us in 2 weeks, xmas gifts, etc...its gonna go up for a while.

And BF is broken for now as well.

This isnt your typical front loaded game launch.

I don't think the community will ever be large like say COD, BF or Halo but it will stay active for a long time. It offers a different enough experience from other shooters that a dedicated community will most certainly be established. It also helps they are releasing future maps for free.

The speed boost is an Assault skill while the beacon is a Support skill. I haven't seen much of a spawn camping problem yet, after about 40 or so full Warzone games. Sometimes if the other team is dominating they can put pressure around your base, but there are multiple exits. All you need to do to clear some space is have a support guy or two drop a turret or throw up an Air Drone then dash out and plant a beacon somewhere.

play some 24-player TDM. It happens basically every match I have on the following maps:

The Forest
The Wall
The Penthouse*

*The Penthouse is more difficult to camp because there are several ways to exit the spawn point, but it never ceases to amaze...the main staircase will get camped and people will try over and over again to leave that way.

The rest of the maps are good to go. But those 2 maps...if a team gets an advantage, they can really sit on a team for the remainder of a TDM round. There are only a few exists on those maps and they tend to all be near each other one group at each general area can be a very oppressive force to be sure.

Classic Warzone doesn't lend itself well to camping because it's mostly objective-based. There's no advantage gained by trying to camp a base.

Yes, the install base of PS4 a week ago was ZERO, dont look at player count online right now and say "oh no there are only 2000 people online".

PS4 users will quadruple by March, there is no other year one shooters coming out, KZ is selling strong in US and EU, EU joins us in 2 weeks, xmas gifts, etc...its gonna go up for a while.

And BF is broken for now as well.

This isnt your typical front loaded game launch.

Can't wait for the XMAS noobs >=D

Classic Warzone doesn't lend itself well to camping because it's mostly objective-based. There's no advantage gained by trying to camp a base.
Camping the spawn will still allow you to win in classic objectives, because the team gets scattered, slowed, and support options get used just to get onto the map. That disarray and slowdown gives the campaign team enough space to win objectives and keep that momentum going.

I got murderized last night on Forest by a Helghast team that had us fighting our ass off just to get out of the base. Was a pretty horrible match and we lost every objective. Was just glad when it was finally over.

I don't think the community will ever be large like say COD, BF or Halo but it will stay active for a long time. It offers a different enough experience from other shooters that a dedicated community will most certainly be established. It also helps they are releasing future maps for free.
I'm not so sure, but I haven't been following GG's plans for this game.

What's their plan for better weapon balance and more weapons? As it stands there ware what? About 15 primary weapon options (about 5 per class), maybe 4 sidearms, 2 or 3 grenade types, some C4 and some weapon attachments that vary from class to class. Then there are like 4 perks for each class. And all of the weapons are unlocked from the beginning.

CoD Ghosts -- for comparison's sake -- has almost 30 primary weapons, 8 side arms, 4 grenades, 35 perks open to all classes, killstreak rewards, and an unlock system that I think takes a bit more time to unlock everything.

IMO, KZ needs a bit more to have the staying power a CoD or BF has. It's on the right track, though. for now, I'd just be happy with basic mic support when solo queuing.

Camping the spawn will still allow you to win in classic objectives, because the team gets scattered, slowed, and support options get used just to get onto the map. That disarray and slowdown gives the campaign team enough space to win objectives and keep that momentum going.

I got murderized last night on Forest by a Helghast team that had us fighting our ass off just to get out of the base. Was a pretty horrible match and we lost every objective. Was just glad when it was finally over.

In theory, I agree. BUT...because parts of the team have to be separated to secure objectives, it inherently means the team being spawn camped has a numbers advantage and more often than not can break out.

The only exceptions I've seen are when people don't realize there are other exit options...or when they find themselves in that mindset where they have to "prove" to themselves or to the enemy that they can kill them and go out the way they're being pressed at.

But yea, perma-spawn camping on maps like Penthouse can end in a pretty ugly 5-0 if the team being camped keeps trying to go down the same way over and over again. That's for damn sure.

I'm not so sure, but I haven't been following GG's plans for this game.

What's their plan for better weapon balance and more weapons? As it stands there ware what? About 15 primary weapon options (about 5 per class), maybe 4 sidearms, 2 or 3 grenade types, some C4 and some weapon attachments that vary from class to class. Then there are like 4 perks for each class. And all of the weapons are unlocked from the beginning.

CoD Ghosts -- for comparison's sake -- has almost 30 primary weapons, 8 side arms, 4 grenades, 35 perks open to all classes, killstreak rewards, and an unlock system that I think takes a bit more time to unlock everything.

IMO, KZ needs a bit more to have the staying power a CoD or BF has. It's on the right track, though. for now, I'd just be happy with basic mic support when solo queuing.
I know it's hard to believe but there are a good amount of people that don't care about unlocks. i prefer to have everything unlocked from he get go as the game is far more balanced. I think they should concentrate their time on fixing the UI, new maps, adding community features, and updating the playlist often.
The game doesn't need any of that stuff you listed and prob would only make the experience worse

I HATE this about this game. Having designated bases that can all be camped by a decent team really lessen the enjoyment at times. A real respawn mechanic would be nice.

Anybody know of any current streams of multiplayer?

I'll have a 1080p stream up later at 7PM PST , the same time when I get a GAF party going. Should be a blast.

I HATE this about this game. Having designated bases that can all be camped by a decent team really lessen the enjoyment at times. A real respawn mechanic would be nice.

Haven't really run into any spawn camping issues - I mean, even if it happens it's not like there aren't ways to counter it. Cloak, turrets, teleport, air support drone, nano shield, etc.

I think its only an issue with some of the maps. Forest in particular on the ISA side is obviously out of whack. I need to play the other maps more to know for sure.

Samus4145

I was surprised to see so many campers in my Warzone matches last night, aiming at a spawn area.

Turned into a free kill every time as the person would constantly go back to the same "hiding" spot.

tfur

Added my PSN name to the spreadsheet. Feel free to add me. I usually play late nights central time, especially on the weekends.

I added a few from the list using the phone app. There needs to be a web method for adding .

shinn623

Any of you playing tonight? Say from 6PM or so and on for PST. Hoping we can get a gaf party going tonight. For those that haven't added me, PSN: Heaven-Assassin1

I'm pretty sure I was on that Helghast team last night, I felt pretty bad for you guys.

btkadams

I think its only an issue with some of the maps. Forest in particular on the ISA side is obviously out of whack. I need to play the other maps more to know for sure.

yeah is there even a way for guerilla to fix something like that? the isa side of the forest gets dominated in every match i've played.

I know it's hard to believe but there are a good amount of people that don't care about unlocks. i prefer to have everything unlocked from he get go as the game is far more balanced. I think they should concentrate their time on fixing the UI, new maps, adding community features, and updating the playlist often.
The game doesn't need any of that stuff you listed and prob would only make the experience worse

I think you misunderstood. I was speaking for the perspective of having more to do and to experience in the game thanks to having more stuff. And no, it needs all of the things I'm suggesting. What I suggest it needs:

1.) More weapons. CoD can manage 30 and Battlefield can do damn near 100 primary weapons (not even discussing secondary, nades and such), and it allows for a higher level of personalization and customization. This is a good thing. Especially with good balance between them. It doesn't need 100 or 30, but maybe 2 new weapons for each class would be great. I mean let's be real: 2 of the Sniper rifles are pretty much the same thing in practice and one is unusuable (Spoor). So for that class, you really only have 2 choices: the 1-hit SR or one of the samey semi-autos. Not good enough. For the Assault class, the Rumbler is the right choice in almost all situations. Just choose the right scope for how you want to play a map and go forth. Not that you can't use the other guns effectively, but that one is clearly tops. High rate of fire, high damage, high accuracy from any range, low recoil.

2.) Better weapon balance. One gun (Rumbler) shouldn't be objectively better than 90% of the primary guns in the game. The only reason I use the other Assault guns at all is to finish the unlocks for those guns.

3.) Team chat support. It's been a basic expectation of MP shooters since Halo 2 in 2004. Almost a decade later, it's unacceptable for it to be missing. Not being able to coordinate with your team unless you're in a party fucking sucks.

4.) Clan support. Obvious reasons.

That's what I think it needs. I think it could be helped further by continuing to grow the perk options, grenade options, sidearms and attachment options...but I don't consider those needs.

The bullet points, I believe, will determine how long this game retains a sizable community in a world of CoD, BF, and other competitors.

I need an honest answer, in your opinion... will this MP have legs beyond 3-4 months?

It will never have COD or BF legs, but yes- there will be a healthy population for a good while. The PS4 will continue to see strong sales through the holidays and into spring, and KZ should still be a pretty popular purchase for many of those people. Should mean a pretty steady stream of noobs, particularly after Christmas.

J-P

Neo Member
I'm on the list. Add me. New to KZ but not fps. Might need some guidance at first but soon enough you can cut the cord.

PSN: PEEEZY187

I think you misunderstood. I was speaking for the perspective of having more to do and to experience in the game thanks to having more stuff. And no, it needs all of the things I'm suggesting. What I suggest it needs:

1.) More weapons. CoD can manage 30 and Battlefield can do damn near 100 primary weapons (not even discussing secondary, nades and such), and it allows for a higher level of personalization and customization. This is a good thing. Especially with good balance between them. It doesn't need 100 or 30, but maybe 2 new weapons for each class would be great. I mean let's be real: 2 of the Sniper rifles are pretty much the same thing in practice and one is unusuable (Spoor). So for that class, you really only have 2 choices: the 1-hit SR or one of the samey semi-autos. For the Assault class, the Rumbler is the right choice in almost all situations. Just choose the right scope for how you want to play a map and go forth. Not that you can't use the other guns effectively, but that one is clearly tops. High rate of fire, high damage, high accuracy from any range, low recoil.

2.) Better weapon balance. One gun (Rumbler) shouldn't be objectively better than 90% of the primary guns in the game. The only reason I use the other Assault guns at all is to finish the unlock process.

3.) Team chat support. It's been a basic expectation of MP shooters since Halo 2 in 2004. Almost a decade later, it's unacceptable for it to be missing. Not being able to coordinate with your team unless you're in a party fucking sucks.

4.) Clan support. Obvious reasons.

That's what I think it needs. I think it could be helped further by continuing to grow the perk options, grenade options, sidearms and attachment options...but I don't consider those needs.

The bullet points, I believe, will determine how long this game retains a sizable community in a world of CoD, BF4, and other competitors.

I strongly disagree on your first bullet point. I think they should focus more of balancing the weapons(though they are already fairly balanced) instead of throwing a bunch of new ones in there. I like that each class is fairly limited in their weapon choice: scout should not have access to assault rifles, assault shouldn't have scout weapons or support weapons, etc. I don't see the point in throwing a bunch of variations of the current class specific weapons as it will only require more work to balance. Sometimes less is more. Things like community features, map content, game types, etc are much more important than having a bunch of interchangeable weapons

I agree with your 3rd and 4th bullet point. It's kind of dumbfounding that those weren't included in release. I'm certain voice chat will be patched it and I hope clan support gets it too.

I strongly disagree on your first bullet point. I think they should focus more of balancing the weapons(though they are already fairly balanced) instead of throwing a bunch of new ones in there.
Why can't they do both balance the weapons they have AND add new ones? I assume they're collecting data on these weapons. Accuracy, kills, overall performance. I'm sure balance changes will come. In addition, adding new weapons will offer some diversity for classes that are heavily limited in options right now. Like the aforementioned Sniper class.

I like that each class is fairly limited in their weapon choice: scout should not have access to assault rifles, assault shouldn't have scout weapons or support weapons, etc.
I agree. But classes being limited to types of weapons has nothing to do with the lack of variation within the scope of said weapon types. I agree that a Scout shouldn't have access to Assault Rifles (unless they pick them up off the ground). But again to use the Sniper/Scout as the example, he has 3 viable sniper rifles, and in practice 2 of them are basically the same thing. If you're going to suggest to me that having 2* viable options for the class is good for the long-term multiplayer experience in Killzone: Shadow Fall, we'll have to agree to disagree fully and completely on that point. Which is fine if so. Can't always agree with everyone. Speaking of the Scout class, I'd really like to see more than 2 scope options. Even if they're just cosmetic differences (different shapes to the scope, different styles of crosshairs, maybe slightly different zoom abilities), they'd be welcome additions.

I don't see the point in throwing a bunch of variations of the current class specific weapons as it will only require more work to balance.
Well good because nobody suggested such a thing. I suggested adding new, differentiating weapons. I did not suggest "throwing a bunch of variations of current class specific weapons". I very specifically suggested that the current weapons be modified for balance. I'd further that notion to say that some weapons that are samey could use some tweaks to differentiate them from other weapons in the class. A Halo-style 3-burst Battle Rifle for the Assault class would be really nice. For example.

Sometimes less is more. Things like community features, map content, game types, etc are much more important than having a bunch of interchangeable weapons
In this case, less is less. This game could use an infusion of weapons and options for each class and balance, along with serious upgrades to the communication options. If (and this is the stipulation in the converstation) long-term we want to see this game grow and thrive.

Perhaps my last post wasn't clear because you seemed to have misread or otherwise misinterpreted large portions.

edit: and make no mistake - I'm having a ball with the game. 1,200 kills and counting. But there are things that can be done to make the continuing experience significantly better. I'm hoping to see all of these things sooner or later.

I was going to respond in depth to your post but we simply just disagree. Yes, more weapons that are all balanced, fit the classes, and have equal counters would be ideal. I just don't think it is feasible and very rarely have I seen a game do this well, especially if it is a class based game. Just reminds me how TF2 was ruined.

Have they given any word on when we could expect the Horde mode to hit? Any ETA at all? Is it even this year?

I think that might help keep people online, if its cheap enough that is.

Count me in with the "less is more" camp. More weapons isn't going to help here. Guerrilla just needs to show they're willing and able to make quick fixes and improvements based upon how people play. If they go dark, so will their population.

I was going to respond in depth to your post but we simply just disagree. Yes, more weapons that are all balanced, fit the classes, and have equal counters would be ideal. I just don't think it is feasible and very rarely have I seen a game do this well, especially if it is a class based game. Just reminds me how TF2 was ruined.

Understood. It's all good. We're having fun with the game regardless of adjustments made.

Real talk tho: they need to do something about the sniper rifle selection. OR..they need to figure out how to make the Spoor relevant. It just doesn't work for MP gaming. Unless you want to feed, I guess.

BLESSED

Neo Member
I hope ya'll enjoying the game. I will have my PS4 on November 29th ,But I want to import Killzone shadowfall from canada. Since the PS4 is regio unlocked I could play this game on a EU PSN account right?

But when the free maps become available trough DLC will it give me problems with downloading it?

cametall

It's probably because I suck, or am mediocre at best, but god damn the knifing in this game. It feels like everyone can just spam the knife and kill me, yet I have to be dry humping the enemy to get a knife kill.

Maybe I'm just a jaded Battlefield knifer...

Edit: Oh, the grenade launcher. Screw that crap. I hate it when someone has that thing. Feels so overpowered (again, probably because I suck).

It's probably because I suck, or am mediocre at best, but god damn the knifing in this game. It feels like everyone can just spam the knife and kill me, yet I have to be dry humping the enemy to get a knife kill.

Maybe I'm just a jaded Battlefield knifer...

Edit: Oh, the grenade launcher. Screw that crap. I hate it when someone has that thing. Feels so overpowered (again, probably because I suck).

start with the Scout class and go invis. Best way to practice knifing.

Exactly my worry right here, and shows that having all weapons unlocked from the beginning doesn't mean that the game is balanced. That's a locked attachment, right?

I think I can enjoy this game up until the point where most people have unlocked explosive weaponry.

cametall

start with the Scout class and go invis. Best way to practice knifing.

That's what I've been doing. Practice makes perfect.

I find using the teleporter more fun though.

Exactly my worry right here, and shows that having all weapons unlocked from the beginning doesn't mean that the game is balanced. That's a locked attachment, right?

I think I can enjoy this game up until the point where most people have unlocked explosive weaponry.

Yes, it's locked. I find the grenade launcher anti-fun.

kurbaan

Banned
play some 24-player TDM. It happens basically every match I have on the following maps:

The Forest
The Wall
The Penthouse*

*The Penthouse is more difficult to camp because there are several ways to exit the spawn point, but it never ceases to amaze...the main staircase will get camped and people will try over and over again to leave that way.

Actually last night we got spawn camped for a good while in a 24 player Warzone lost 9-0 among other reasons. They were camping 2 of the exits pretty ingenious.

LtOrange

So how do the unlocks for weapon attachments work? Is it based on how many kills you get with the weapon, locked behind challenges, or something else.

Soulstar

Just put my name down on the google spreadsheet and I plan to play for a bit right now so if anyone is playing right now feel free to invite me.

PSN: TheLoveCook

I'm setting up a GAF party/streaming session at 7PM PST tonight.

PSN: earvcunanan

If there is any room for me I would be down to join. I already sent you a friend request.

GodofWine

Damn...might be two GAF Parties...GAF vs GAF...OMG

Edit ...thats a possibility right, PIN protected custom warzone? OH EM GEE

A GAF vs GAF battle would be pretty awesome. I'm definitely down for that. If everyone is still planning on playing at 7pm PST, I'll be on between then and 8pm PST.

And really, Support is such an awesome class. I tried it out for the first time the other night and I pretty much turned the battle in my teams favor with the spawn beacon. Most randoms I've played with don't play support, but my short playtime with it showed me how essential having someone playing support is to a team.

Ryuuga

Banned
We're getting a GAF game going right now and have a party going. If someone wants to join just throw your PSN my way. Room for 3 more.

Top Bottom