• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Discussion

Gator86

Drones and turrets are almost twice as powerful as they should be.

My biggest issue by far. These idiot-proof set and forget skills are way too powerful. Turrets do a ton of damage, take forever to kill, and require no skill to use. Its like they saw the worst parts of COD and thought, yeah, let's copy that.

ref

Earlier I finally got 10 kills with the Limpet Grenade for the challenge. Took me FOREVER.

Seriously, those grenades are absolute garbage, stick with the fragmentation grenades.

Flo_Evans

My biggest issue by far. These idiot-proof set and forget skills are way too powerful. Turrets do a ton of damage, take forever to kill, and require no skill to use. Its like they saw the worst parts of COD and thought, yeah, let's copy that.

Yeah starting to seem like support is a bit overpowered. Really long revive distance, bad ass turrets and air drones? And the spawn beacon that is pretty clutch.

tranciful

I cannot believe what I am hearing here. Support should be nerfed? That's the class that makes the multiplayer interesting. Without support, it's just a slower CoD/BF4 shoot'em'up'spam'fest. It's people like you that push devs into making all these games play so similarly -- anytime they do something different you guys start crying about how you can't play it like CoD.

Have you guys actually used turrets and air drones? They certainly don't rack up the kills. If you're dying from them, it's because you're being stupid. They can both be killed easily from total safety far away (they even have an explicit counter -- missiles!) -- they're only useful if they have backup from players on the ground to distract the enemy. I got 25 kills with each to unlock the spider mine and now I'm back to using the spawn beacon because turrets/drones feel mostly ineffective -- turrets/drones rarely get kills and it's annoying having to always set them up after they deconstruct themselves once their short duration has expired (the drones also retreat when their master dies). The weapons available to support are pretty crap, too -- assault class has way more killing potential than support can ever hope to gain with turrets/drones.

You guys are nuts and GG needs to disregard that sort of harmful feedback.

DoomGyver

Supports Pump shotgun is the best weapon in the game. My issue with support is the revive distance is insane, an entire team of supports is near unstoppable.

There should have been an engineer class and support should have just been called the medic.

tranciful

an entire team of supports is near unstoppable.

This sounds like some sort of mythical scenario that never actually happens and therefor never actually causes problems. But a simple fix would be to give the revive drone travel time -- farther away, the longer the revive takes to complete (for the drone to get there and back) therefor increasing the cooldown. I've never felt overrun by revives though, so I'm not really convinced it's a problem. A far away support reviving someone is just giving the enemy extra kills.

Supports Pump shotgun is the best weapon in the game.
and no

dab0ne

I cannot believe what I am hearing here. Support should be nerfed? That's the class that makes the multiplayer interesting. Without support, it's just a slower CoD/BF4 shoot'em'up'spam'fest. It's people like you that push devs into making all these games play so similarly -- anytime they do something different you guys start crying about how you can't play it like CoD.

Have you guys actually used turrets and air drones? They certainly don't rack up the kills. If you're dying from them, it's because you're being stupid. They can both be killed easily from total safety far away (they even have an explicit counter -- missiles!) -- they're only useful if they have backup from players on the ground to distract the enemy. I got 25 kills with each to unlock the spider mine and now I'm back to using the spawn beacon because turrets/drones feel mostly ineffective -- turrets/drones rarely get kills and it's annoying having to always set them up after they deconstruct themselves once their short duration has expired (the drones also retreat when their master dies). The weapons available to support are pretty crap, too -- assault class has way more killing potential than support can ever hope to gain with turrets/drones.

I agree, I like the support class and all of its perks. Wish you weren't allowed to plant turrets right outside of spawn points though (the main base). It's cheap as fuck and destroys MP battles.

tranciful

I agree, I like the support class and all of its perks. Wish you weren't allowed to plant turrets right outside of spawn points though (the main base). It's cheap as fuck and destroys MP battles.

I honestly haven't had a problem with spawn campers yet. I figure it's too hard to spawn camp since the spawns have super turrets and multiple exits.

LifEndz

Sure it's been answered a million times, but how do I fire the alt weapon on the main rifle? I think I equipped grenades and L1 changes the reticule to some big wide lens but I can't figure out how to fire it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Sure it's been answered a million times, but how do I fire the alt weapon on the main rifle? I think I equipped grenades and L1 changes the reticule to some big wide lens but I can't figure out how to fire it.

That wide lens is probably just the anti turret/drone weapon, only locks onto support stuff.

Ryuuga

Banned
Hilarious and entertaining last couple of GAF round. Sometimes I feel like we're having too much fun and it feels so wrong but can only be right.

Gator86

I respect your opinion but completely disagree. The best skills are the ones that require strategy and skill to use. Turrets and air support require none. Skills like the stun blasts, teleports, tac echo, etc. all require some planning and execution to use well. Nothing is more mindless than just dropping a turret in a high traffic area and running off. I'm all for support having strong and diverse skills but a few of the current ones are just half-assed in my opinion.

EekTheKat

I can also say it takes no skill to drop a shield and camp out behind it - since they annoy me when I'm trying to line up a head shot, but I won't since I know there are lots of ways to deal with them.

If I die to someone's turret or air drone, it's either my fault for rushing into things or I'm making a last gasp attempt at a goal with the timer ticking. I can easily take a whole 5 seconds to line up an attachment to disable them normally. Or simply go around them as maps generally have multiple paths.

There are so many different ways to kill automatons and constructs that they're nearly non factors if you pay attention.

As I play more and more my turrets and air drones are literally evaporating the instant they appear due to how many people who know how to deal with them quickly.

If they were nerfed, it would literally take years to maximize those two skills legitimately.

Guys, I was going to play with you this weekend. My PS4 arrived this morning from Amazon. Turned it on, went through the basic setup and got to the main menu. I was going to format the HDD and then install 1.51 when the screen flickered the PS4 turned itself off. Turned it back on, nothing. Tried to boot into safe mode, the system kept shutting itself off.

Going to return my system to Amazon and get a replacement, which should arrive in about 10 days. This sucks.

MMaRsu

Guys, I was going to play with you this weekend. My PS4 arrived this morning from Amazon. Turned it on, went through the basic setup and got to the main menu. I was going to format the HDD and then install 1.51 when the screen flickered the PS4 turned itself off. Turned it back on, nothing. Tried to boot into safe mode, the system kept shutting itself off.

Going to return my system to Amazon and get a replacement, which should arrive in about 10 days. This sucks.

I find these post so goddamn scary :(.

Soupstorm

Neo Member

What I came here to say earlier, then opted not to lest I get into a huge argument, then came back to say anyway. Killzone is built around hard counters. Turrets are literally built to be flanked, and all the maps support this at virtually every possible location. And drones may be more mobile, but they only fire in bursts and have to put themselves out in the open air to do it - not to mention they're easily distracted, take several seconds to appear, and are summoned by a bright blinking light, making them beyond useless as a twitch reaction.

The whole game is built around territory control and hard counters. Every route flanks another route, and the spawns are static and in protected bases. There is no reason turrets and drones should be anything but powerful in this kind of game, because they don't exist to get kills as much as to exert and deny territory control. If they're not powerful, they have no reason to exist at all, because their effect on the flow of battle will be null and void.

I respect your opinion but completely disagree. The best skills are the ones that require strategy and skill to use. Turrets and air support require none. Skills like the stun blasts, teleports, tac echo, etc. all require some planning and execution to use well. Nothing is more mindless than just dropping a turret in a high traffic area and running off. I'm all for support having strong and diverse skills but a few of the current ones are just half-assed in my opinion.

? A turret placed by someone who isn't thinking strategically isn't going to do shit, just like the way a gun performs when fired by someone who can't aim. It's still an application of skill.

Artorias

Banned
I finally got my 5 headshots with the Punt. It didn't take that long but I hate going several minutes in a game without progressing my unlocks haha.

I'm still just stuck on this game. I haven't played single player. I haven't played Skylanders, or Contrast. I've played 3 races in NFS and two levels in Resogun. I don't care at all. This multi is all I need, and I'm not an MP guy at all. I just love class systems, and this game does it so well.

tranciful

I had a hunch, but now I'm completely convinced -- you guys really haven't actually put in much time into playing Support, have you? Or you're trolling and I'm falling for it.

Strategy when using tac echo:
-find safe spot where you think enemies might be nearby
-hold button until near limit.

Strategy when using stun blast:
-get near enemy
-tap button

Strategy for scout's teleport:
-in danger
-tap button
-hope we get lucky with a good location

Strategy when using drone:
-find location near strategic objective/choke point that is expected to see action very soon (otherwise it'll be wasted, as the drone retreats after a short duration even if it takes no damage)
-find location with good vertical cover so the drone can't be picked off from across the map without a chance of fighting back
-aim transmitter and actually throw it where you want it
-stay nearby to distract enemy so the drone doesn't get focus and taken down quickly before it can do any damage
-don't die -- the drone retreats when you die
-pay attention to drone fire to be alerted of enemy presence

Strategy when using turret:
-find location near strategic objective/choke point that is expected to see action very soon (otherwise it'll be wasted, as the turret disassembles itself after a short duration even if it takes no damage)
-make sure location isn't exposed to long line of sights where enemies can pick it off without the turret being able to fight back
-make sure we don't place a turret where the enemy is likely to spam grenades
-angle turret so that it's narrow field of view will not only see enemies, but have enough time to kill enemies or at least do sustained damage
-angle turret so that the enemy can't easily get behind it to deconstruct it
-stay nearby to distract enemy so turret doesn't get focus from the enemy and taken down quickly before it can do any damage
-pay attention to turret fire to be alerted of enemy presence

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I need to get in on these gaf matches. Invite me to the party guys. Just put "gaf" when you send a friend jnvite.

Jordoon

I'm not understanding the hate for the support drones/turrets. If your team is having trouble with them, then its probably becuase no one on your team is playing as support. The support class rifles/LMGs have missile launchers that are easy to unlock and kill the drones/turrets in one hit.

I am finding a few things about the Scout class to be frustrating at times though. First, the tactical echo tag needs to keep the enemy tagged for much longer. It took me forever to complete the challenge "kill 25 enemies that are tagged by tactical echo" because it untags the enemy way to soon. Also, the melee needs some kind of improvement. Countless times I'm chasing behind a guy who is 2 inches away from me and I just slice the air. Give us some kind of a slight lunge when meleeing while sprinting at least.

edit: One more thing I forgot. I would rather have random spawn points than permanent team spawn points for the Team Deathmatch only Warzones (not for the team deathmatch within classic warzone). Every single team deathmatch I've played turned into spawn area camping.

Apeopleman

If it is the support grenade launcher (n00b t00b lol) then it can only lock on and shoot at shields, air bots, and ground bots.

The assault grenade launcher can be free fired at humans.

When I see the # next to the controller icon above a game type, is that the number of players, or the number of games? Because if it's the former, it seems insanely low most of the time.

Iacobellis

When I see the # next to the controller icon above a game type, is that the number of players, or the number of games? Because if it's the former, it seems insanely low most of the time.

Number of players, I think. The number next to player's names is also how many challenges they have completed.

TyrantII

What Dreck. Dropping a turret in a high traffic area does nothing, because it takes a good 5-10second to even know you're there. If you standing around twiddling your thumbs, you deserve to get killed by these lazy bots.

They're pretty much only good for support, go figure. And one of the only things that helps back up the objectives when fighting against a really good team. Even then they can be disabled easily or destroyed.

There's nothing wrong with them. Leave the be, or you'll just totally ruin support class, especially seeing as they're already offensively weak.

If we're going to get rid of something, lets do away with that one shot, quick scoping, exploding sniper riffle round BS.

johntown

Banned
You all realize when someone is revived there is a little drone above them that can be shot to stop the revive.

I think they game is very well balanced. There is a good counter to everything. Turrets and drones can be taken out with the Gatling gun one of the Support class can use easily.

I will dat the assault class seems like the weakest and the support class is the best class but there are only 3 classes. Of course one of them will be the best.

My issues are no in game chat (which I heard is going to be patched in) and when you get a party going in chat you need to make sure they are all on your friends list or it is a huge pain the try and in invite them.

Overall, I love it but miss the Infiltrator class.

Being able to hack turrets and spawn points is all I really ask.

So, lets compile a list of fixes / tweak to tweet to Guerilla.

1. Fix menus/UI
2. Make reading score easier (during TDM, give us a NUMBER not just a colored bar to guesstimate!)
3. Tone muzzle flash down a bit
4. Increase ADS speed for the heavy sniper just a bit. Takes way too long to bring up.
5. If possible, add the ability to shoot from the hip while jumping/falling.
6. Add more weapons and equipment. It feels a little limited right now, plus choice and diversity is always good.
7. Make default player count 24 for Warzone
8. Fix game chat / add player grunts, noises, quick phrases, etc.
9. Randomize map order when joining a lobby. Somehow, during GAF nights, we always play the Divide before anything else. ALWAYS.
10. Allow us to map the controls how we want, or at least allow us to change crouch/melee. I play all my other games in "Tactical" layout which puts crouch/prone on R3 rather than Circle. When I come back to KZ I always have to adjust and it costs me at least 5 kills a match because of it.
11. KZ2 like proximity chat to pinpoint enemy / taunt
12. Some maps need more ambient sound (associated with their SP counterparts), some literally have none.
13. Game announcer should be Sinclair / Tyran (or maybe Stahl)

Anything else?

TyrantII

So, lets compile a list of fixes / tweak to tweet to Guerilla.

1. Fix menus/UI
2. Make reading score easier (during TDM, give us a NUMBER not just a colored bar to guesstimate!)
3. Tone muzzle flash down a bit
4. Increase ADS speed for the heavy sniper just a bit. Takes way too long to bring up.
5. If possible, add the ability to shoot from the hip while jumping/falling.
6. Add more weapons and equipment. It feels a little limited right now, plus choice and diversity is always good.
7. Make default player count 24 for Warzone
8. Fix game chat / add player grunts, noises, quick phrases, etc.
9. Randomize map order when joining a lobby. Somehow, during GAF nights, we always play the Divide before anything else. ALWAYS.

Anything else?

10. KZ2 like proximity chat to pinpoint enemy / taunt
11. Some maps need more ambient sound (associated with their SP counterparts), some literally have none.
12. Game announcer should be Sinclair / Tyran (or maybe Stahl)

MADGAME

Consensus on controller sensitivity? Seems to effect max turn speed, so I would assume we should try to play with it all the way up.

The quicker turn speed is nice for close combat, but for me a bit trickier when lining up long-distance shots or long-scoped.

hwateber

I'm godawful at the multiplayer but it's pretty entertaining. I do hope they add in game chat though. When nothing is going on, the game feels lifeless

_Isaac

I'm godawful at the multiplayer but it's pretty entertaining. I do hope they add in game chat though. When nothing is going on, the game feels lifeless
I am so awful at this game too, but I'm glad I'm not hating it, and I think I'm maybe doing a little bit better. I got first place on my team once! Of course we lost very badly that time, but I felt somewhat proud of myself.

I tried to play earlier today, and man was it dead. There really aren't that many players online.

Sullichin

The multiplayer in this game is great. I really like the idea of taking tried and true FPS game modes and throwing them all at you in quick succession in one match. Surely I have played other FPS games that do this, but none are coming to mind...
I'm not great at the equipment metagame yet.

Jarate

Banned
ewww, just had 3 games in a row with the downs on my team

I came in first 3 games in a row, around rank 3-5 for the entire game and was the only person that scored above someone on the other team

Im not nearly good enough to carry a team on my back in this game :|, and yet I got so many teams that have the downs

X-Frame

Do they not randomize teams after each game? I should have paid more attention to the players on my team, but this morning I was playing for a couple hours and won maybe 5-6 games in a row, and it was brutal beatings, near sweeps every time.

Also, post 1000!

Top Bottom