• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Discussion

boohowc

Banned
why is the text so tiny. i was playing with a friend last night and i'd have to be close range to know where he is. why no radar indicator for party members like in COD? :\

_Isaac

Do they not randomize teams after each game? I should have paid more attention to the players on my team, but this morning I was playing for a couple hours and won maybe 5-6 games in a row, and it was brutal beatings, near sweeps every time.

Also, post 1000!

I don't think they do because I've had a similar experience too except I was on the losing side.

I'm really addicted to this. The MP has finally clicked with me, after initially being lukewarm towards it. But my goodness, bad teammates can make this a frustrating experience. I always feel that I am THE only support player dropping spawn points, which makes me stuck to using that class. Not a complaint about the game, just sucks playing lopsided matches.

I have to say, there were so many red flags with Shadow Fall, but I am so happy that things actually worked out well. Tactical Echo, nano shields, low recoil, useless non-ADS shooting...all seemed like it would lead to a terrible style. But they all work incredibly well, and nothing feels cheap.

The only problem I have is

a) Joining empty games. This is SO annoying. I'll get put into a game where it's 5 on 1, or where everyone has just left. And guess what? I want to quit too. But what happens when I do? I get punished with a loss. It's really unfair that I have to force myself to stick to a 5 on 1 game, or an empty lobby. It's not my fault, and I shouldn't have to suffer through an empty lobby. It happens so often with any playlist that isn't Classic Warzone. It pretty much forces me to play Classic Warzone, because it's too frustrating joining and leaving lobbies that aren't properly set up. If a game has uneven teams, it should end IMO, or at least not count as a ranked mode until a minimum requirement of players is met. W/L ratio means nothing now, since my stats are all fucked up from quitting countless games.

It's really odd to me that there are so few players online. You only really have the option to play Classic Warzone or Team Tactical. Everything else seems empty or will at least put you in an empty room.

If the player count is really that low, WHY? It's rather shocking. And I wish GG could tighten up the public playlists to ensure more players for the modes I like.

If GG wont give us full 24 players for "Classic" Warzone, I wish they'd at least up the mode to 9v9. 7v7 is just too low on some maps.

Other things:

-In S&D, if you plant the bomb and the mission time runs out, you automatically lose the round. Please change this, GG. If the bomb is planted, the onus should be on the defenders to defuse.

-And for the love of all that is holy, PLEASE BRING BACK ASSASSINATION mode! With the insane reviving abilities, this mode would be just incredible in Shadow Fall.

-Supply box ability is too limited and inefficient. I like the idea of replenishing ammo and health, but with no health bar, full health regen, and a long animation sequence, nobody bothers to use this ability. I wish we had a health bar that regenerated health/replenished ammo when you stand over them, like Battlefield.

-Regarding auto-turrets, I do find the use of A.I brings an element of random luck. This isn't so much an issue with turrets for me as it is with sentry bots. I find the issue here is that turrets are more predictable in terms of users who use strategies when placing them...but sentry bots can be chucked in any open space and seem to have a mind of its own that seems a little too sharp. I wouldn't say I want it nerfed, but I can understand the complaint.

Interestingly, Killzone 2's turrets were more of a nuisance, while the sentry bot in this game will kill you if it chooses to target you. It's razor sharp.

-I'm really shocked at how ineffective non-ADS shooting is. It feels incredibly useless. You pretty much HAVE To aim down sights. It's one of those complaints I have to let go, but I still feel Killzone 2's gunplay was ace because of this. Like Halo, non-ADS shooting added a really unique feel to the gunplay. I wonder if GG will ever modify the game to change this. The incredible headshots with guns in KZ2 when firing without aiming felt so GOOD. You'd like up your crosshairs, and either control fire or blast a shot to see heads FLY off your enemy.

tfur

Been having a lot of good games lately. Single handedly drive the course of a game with support medic and spawn beacons.

Most balanced Killzone MP to date. Everything works really well together for a really pure MP. It's a crime the MP was not truly part of reviews.

Also shockingly stable.

They need to buff hipfire.
Warzone needs more gametypes.

Hip fire could definitely use a bit of a boost and Warzone should incorporate the other game modes (maybe randomize which game types are included?). I don't really understand why they are excluded at the moment.

The game runs very smoothly with 14p but in a 24p TDM the framerate takes a big hit (when you have two spawn points facing one another, a bunch of bots and grenades - of course it is going to take a hit!). Unfortunately, many of the maps really feel empty with only 7 players per team.

I am really enjoying the game for the most part but absolutely hate the one-hit melee mechanic. If it absolutely must be one hit, then make every melee a brutal so that the initiator gets stuck in an animation. I hate having someone kill me in one hit without breaking their momentum at all.

Badgerst3

Where are all the players?

It was around 600 players total on war zone last night. Am I region locked somehow?

Strange. And this is the only mp game I really feel like playing.

Does need a free for all mode though.

Everdred

I definitely feel like this game has about a two hour learning curve. It just didn't feel that fun until you hit about an hour or two in then suddenly it felt like the best multiplayer shooter I've played in years.

TyrantII

-In S&D, if you plant the bomb and the mission time runs out, you automatically lose the round. Please change this, GG. If the bomb is planted, the onus should be on the defenders to defuse.

That hasn't been the case for me. I've had a bomb planted and the clock stuck 0:00 and the timer countdown ran and exploded the objective. Same as KZ 2 & 3.

Sure they didn't disarm it?

As for players, are we sure the warzone listings are players and not games? 2500 for warzone servers seems much more likely. After all I've joined ones that say 5, and the game fills up.

_Isaac

That hasn't been the case for me. I've had a bomb planted and the clock stuck 0:00 and the timer countdown ran and exploded the objective. Same as KZ 2 & 3.

As for players, are we sure the warzone listings are players and not games? 2500 for warzone servers seems much more likely. After all I've joined ones that say 5, and the game fills up.

I seem to remember the developers tweeting that it was actually the number of players.

EDIT:

It looks like one of our fellow gaffers asked them.
KpTwSKJ.png

Twitter

X-Frame

What is everyone's favorite map so far?

I've been really enjoying The Divide a lot lately. Love zip lining from one side to the other and I love the fact that the map has so many levels, I think it's 4 or even 5 different levels.

I've been really enjoying The Divide a lot lately. Love zip lining from one side to the other and I love the fact that the map has so many levels, I think it's 4 or even 5 different levels.

Really like The Divide and Spire, haven't played too much though yet.

I love The Forest, The Park, and the Penthouse.

Just gorgeous maps.

Ilúvatar

Having a lot of fun with the multiplayer so far. My only major gripes right now are that the team balancing seems way off, and that the Assault Buddy Drone either needs a major buff or the amount of kills needed to max out the ability need to be lowered dramatically.

PSN: tolkienfanatic

MADGAME

Correct. If you arm the target and time runs out, the game will continue until the target explodes or the target is disarmed

golem

Where are all the players?

It was around 600 players total on war zone last night. Am I region locked somehow?

Strange. And this is the only mp game I really feel like playing.

Does need a free for all mode though.

Is this normal right now? Maybe everyone is on COD/BF.

DoomGyver

I now get the same crash message that I do on BF4 (CE-34878-0) everytime I quit a game

I get that too, I found one way around it, as soon as you get to the menu select "my career" where you can edit your loadouts. This does not work all of the time but it helps.

Foxix Von

It's weird to see the player count so low. The game started to click with me last night and I realized just how amazing the MP is in this game. It's SO good.

Vitanimus

So how "beginner" friendly is the MP? I'm not particularly averse with modern FPS's so common knowledge will be lost upon me. I've been watching a few matches played by a Support class and that looks pretty fun. It looks considerably slower paced in comparison to say, Call of Duty, which I am very glad about. Looking forward to the 29th to play with the rest of EU GAF.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
KZ2/3 were some of my most played multiplayer games this gen, (Warzone/Operations exclusively) how does Shadow Fall compare?

Impressions of the singleplayer worry me but if the online is still strong then I don't mind.

So how "beginner" friendly is the MP? I'm not particularly averse with modern FPS's so common knowledge will be lost upon me. I've been watching a few matches played by a Support class and that looks pretty fun. It looks considerably slower paced in comparison to say, Call of Duty, which I am very glad about. Looking forward to the 29th to play with the rest of EU GAF.

There's a bit of a learning curve because of the way the player character moves and aims (no aim assist), the rotating game types in Warzone (the most popular and best way to play Killzone MP), and the three different classes that offer different playstyles and abilities. There's an Offline Botzone where you can practice Warzone and learn the lay of the maps.

KZ2/3 were some of my most played multiplayer games this gen, (Warzone/Operations exclusively) how does Shadow Fall compare?

Impressions of the singleplayer worry me but if the online is still strong then I don't mind.

SF is more in line with KZ2's MP and it's awesome.

and the VC30 sucks in general. If you want close quarters combat, one of the shotguns is a better choice. if you want medium range combat, any AR is better. It's just not a very good weapon, imo.

Man, it's been awesome for me. Is it inconsistent at times? Sure is, but I've had a lot of success with it and it's a damn beast. Just gotta time your shots against groups with that slow pump action animation. VC30 is the shotgun for the Support class, btw.

Vitanimus

There's a bit of a learning curve because of the way the player character moves and aims (no aim assist), the rotating game types in Warzone (the most popular and best way to play Killzone MP), and the three different classes that offer different playstyles and abilities. There's an Offline Botzone where you can practice Warzone and learn the lay of the maps.

I'm glad to hear about an offline practice mode. The only online multiplayer I've played extensively is The Last Of Us' component and it was extremely enjoyable so I'm looking forward to dipping my feet into the online MP here too.

Are there any grievances with the multiplayer so far? I've heard about the lack of voice chat during games and no background music during matches.

I'm glad to hear about an offline practice mode. The only online multiplayer I've played extensively is The Last Of Us' component and it was extremely enjoyable so I'm looking forward to dipping my feet into the online MP here too.

Are there any grievances with the multiplayer so far? I've heard about the lack of voice chat during games and no background music during matches.

There's no in-game MP voice chat for now, but it will be patched in a future update, as well as a clan system. No background music during matches.

We've been sending Tweets to @killzone and they're listening to our feedback regarding improvements and fixes. They've given no ETA on a patch, but they are working on one.

Vitanimus

There's no in-game MP voice chat for now, but it will be patched in a future update, as well as a clan system. No background music during matches.

We've been sending Tweets to @killzone and they're listening to our feedback regarding improvements and fixes. They've given no ETA on a patch, but they are working on one.

Neato, thanks for answering my questions. :)

TyrantII

They have a community recommendation site and it's the current top position, with clan support right below:

https://feedback.killzone.com/forums/228623-feature-additions-and-ideas

I wrote up a request fro KZ2 proximity chat to come back if they;re going to go through the work of adding VOIP anyways. It's not approved yet, but I'll post it here so we can up vote it when it does.

Hmm... I dont recall.

And nope, player numbers are incredibly low, and it's rather surprising and worrying

I like The Factory and The Remains.

Odd names for maps though. Thought they were placeholders.

Can't wait for The Market dlc. Killzone maps always do such a great job of being so multilayered. It's so fun to crawl through air vents and walk up top catwalks

I wonder if GG would actually buff hipfire. Can't that fundamentally break weapon balance? With recoil being lower than that of KZ2, wouldn't weapons start to feel the same when hipfiring?

kaiyo

I can't get into a game anymore. I keep getting Error code 10101 (E_NGT_DISCONNECTED) trying to find a room. If i do get in, I get Error code 10109 (E_NGT_SEND) 1 min after joining a game.

It was working fine a few days ago.

Is this happening to anyone else? =(

That's crazy to me. A million PS4's out there an only 3,000 or so players at any one time?

Well I mean look at trophy rarity stats lol. In Res0gun only 40% of players have even thrown a human into the beams. Only 20% or so have even finished rookie level. Only 40% have even finished Stage 2!

I love the rarities, shows how little people do with the games they own. So seeing that does not surprise me with CoD and Battlefield out there. Along with all the maddens and sports titles.

_Isaac

Well I mean look at trophy rarity stats lol. In Res0gun only 40% of players have even thrown a human into the beams. Only 20% or so have even finished rookie level. Only 40% have even finished Stage 2!

I love the rarities, shows how little people do with the games they own. So seeing that does not surprise me with CoD and Battlefield out there. Along with all the maddens and sports titles.

What do you get out of throwing a human into the beam instead of just flying right under it?

Jarsonot

What do you get out of throwing a human into the beam instead of just flying right under it?

The first time? A trophy. =)

Otherwise there's no difference, other than cool factor, and not having to fly all the way to the beam.

Edit: unless there's a points difference? The little I've played I haven't been paying attention to points, so maybe you get a little more for the toss?

Parham

Banned
I finally dived into the multiplayer mode today. First time I've played an online FPS on a console in a while and, suffice it to say, I am terrible at it.

PSN: DrEnglund

Koyuga

Added myself to that google doc!
I finished the story mode days ago so I'm just now starting to get into the multiplayer. I'm typically bad at death match focused fps games but the rotating objectives makes it easier for me to keep up.
Still figuring a lot of things out really, I'm mostly playing support class for now, seems to be the easiest for me to work with. Was pretty overwhelmed at first but I'm starting to have some fun with the mode. Last multiplayer FPS I bothered playing was TF2.

My PSN is ZoundsGX if anybody wants a friend that is bad at games!

Haint

I loved the shit out of KZ2 and 3 MP, but SF is without question one of the worst MP shooters I've ever played. The overload of visual noise (over done blur, vignette effects, lens flares, reflections etc...) makes action very difficult to follow and drastically lowers the utility of the more aggressive twitch based class/abilities (specifically all of assault secondary abilities--super sprint, stun bomb, personal drone). This leads to everyone playing (IMO at least) boring, slow, and deliberate games that simply rely on abusing OP'ed abilities like shields, turrets, and revive. I have no idea how they missed the ability of a team to set up turret, air drone, shield, and revive squads outside the exits of the enemies base and just break the game. Some of powers are so comically unbalanced there seems to have been little to no actual play testing. Maybe a few updates in they will sort this stuff out, but man the current version is Bad with a capital B.

I loved the shit out of KZ2 and 3 MP, but SF is without question one of the worst MP shooters I've ever played. The overload of visual noise (over done blur, vignette effects, lens flares, reflections etc...) makes action very difficult to follow and drastically lowers the utility of the more aggressive twitch based class/abilities (specifically all of assault secondary abilities--super sprint, stun bomb, personal drone). This leads to everyone playing (IMO at least) boring, slow, and deliberate games that simply rely on abusing OP'ed abilities like shields, turrets, and revive. I have no idea how they missed the ability of a team to set up turret, air drone, shield, and revive squads outside the exits of the enemies base and just break the game. Some of powers are so comically unbalanced there seems to have been little to no actual play testing. Maybe a few updates in they will sort this stuff out, but man the current version is Bad with a capital B.

Well, I disagree. I can't imagine how people could even like Killzone 3's MP. The game was fundamentally broken-- low health, low recoil, and a horrid, horrid spawning system. Not to mention the class balance was a joke.

I don't find shields, or turrets overpowered. Revives seem to happen too constantly for my liking, but headshots and brutal melees seem to invalidate revives.

I really do think, with how fast and instantly you can revive someone, that finishing off downed enemies with melee/shooting them (like in KZ2/3) should come back. It just seems silly that I "kill" someone, but then they lie there practically invincible until they decide to spawn or revive.

I'm not having any issues with keeping up with the screen, and find the twitch-based abilities/classes to work out just fine. What exactly is the issue you are having with this?

Seems like you had a bad experience with spawn camping, but really, from what I've played, there doesn't seem to be too much of an issue with the many exits available. What map were you playing on?

I'm also of the mentality that if you're team was fairly pushed to their spawn, it's your own team's fault for failing to have sensible support classes.

Top Bottom