• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Discussion

haikira

Hey guys. Haven't been keeping up with this thread, but are there many Gaf games happening? Getting this with my PS4 when it's out here on Friday, in the UK. Seems like the kind of game that's improved vastly by playing as a team, so I'd love to get in on any group stuff going around.

Wickwire

Not a complaint because I'm guilty of both at times, but I find it funny how I go from warzone matches where no one defends areas that need defending into TDM games where teams set up camp at certain locations and defend it until the end.

X-Frame

I don't really understand what the point of the Supply Box is when the game auto-regenerates health anyway within seconds and seems to resupply ammo when being revived.

Am I missing something? I'm never going to be able to complete the challenges that require 10, 50, but especially over 100 teammates to resupply.

GG either needs to greatly drop the challenge requirements for them, or buff the hell out of them. Or make it so reviving doesn't magically give ammo back.

I assume quick throw stickies?

From my observation, they seem to be more powerful than fraggers with a smaller blast radius. Much more accurate too.

Interesting, thank you.

ref

Hey guys. Haven't been keeping up with this thread, but are there many Gaf games happening? Getting this with my PS4 when it's out here on Friday, in the UK. Seems like the kind of game that's improved vastly by playing as a team, so I'd love to get in on any group stuff going around.

Most nights there's a group (or two, depends on how many people online) around 6-8pm PST and usually last 3-5 hours. Doesn't appear like it's going to stop soon either, so you'll be able to find people to play with pretty easily.

Voidance

I finished the single player last night and had a pretty good time. There were some frustrating parts, but it was overall enjoyable. Now that I'm finished with the single player, I can't wait to dive into multiplayer. I should be able to fit in some games tomorrow night.

Played Friday night with some fellow GAFers. Had a blast. that game takes teamwork and our W/L ratio was proving that. Online is what makes this game. I do wish they would bring back VIP mode and the Saboteur class though.

MADGAME

Had my first experience with the Support class supply box last night. A group of us were defending a search & destroy target near our base in Penthouse (the one at the bottom of the steps). Myself and another Assault player set up shields and were gunning/grenading down those attempting to set the charge.

There was a Support player who kept leaving a supply box near us...I don't run out of ammo often, but I do use my grenade and the 3 grenades in my Rumbler. Defending behind a shield with pretty much unlimited grenade refills was pretty damn sweet. Thanks, whoever you are.

So basically, Support class supply boxes are pretty clutch if you end up in a defensible or spawn camp position.

b0neshank

Banned
Played a few hours of the Multiplayer on this game and damn it is boring. Feels like every match play out exactly the same. I will admit I have not put a lot of time into looking into the different game types. I was just playing the default game type which is Warzone I think.

Smidget

Am I just joining horrible matches or does it seem like every game a choke point comes about that everyone makes spawn points and spams nades at? Seems like how Killzone ends up in multiplayer :/

TyrantII

I made a request to implement proxy chat (being able to hear/chat with the enemy team based on AOE) like KZ2. Can you guys sign in with you're PSN accounts and lend three votes to the cause?

https://feedback.killzone.com/forum...052810-please-bring-back-kz2-s-proximity-chat

Looks like clan support, better hip fire, and Team VOIP will be a sure thing. All are the top suggestions ATM. Also believe fixing the scoreboard and better sized MP icons/text is already in the works.

You can also suggest your own things. You have 7 points total to spend.

I made a request to implement proxy chat (being able to hear/chat with the enemy team based on AOE) like KZ2. Can you guys sign in with you're PSN accounts and lend three votes to the cause?

https://feedback.killzone.com/forum...052810-please-bring-back-kz2-s-proximity-chat

Looks like clan support, better hip fire, and Team VOIP will be a sure thing. All are the top suggestions ATM. Also believe fixing the scoreboard and better sized MP icons/text is already in the works.

Voted with 3 points, proximity chat rules.

TyrantII

Voted with 3 points, proximity chat rules.

Many Thanks. I'm surprised more games don't do it, and shocked that KZ dropped it the past two.

While it's fun to taunt the enemy, it even has it's tactical advantages. Hearing a blabber mouth enemy around the corner is always fun stuff.

If AOE proxy chat was the only implementation for Team Chat, I think I'd be ok with that too as long as party chat can work at the same time. Keep a direct line of chat with the party, and only to team mates who are working with you close by. Lots of room for useful tactics.

I'm sure full team chat is priority though.

Foxix Von

You have my sword.

tranciful

Yea primarily TDM. Base super turrets won't attack until you're very close to the gates, so teams obviously take to setting up just out of range. It's very difficult for whoever happens to draw the short stick to gain any ground on some of the maps as a couple turrets and players behind shields can hold a base exit for large portions of a match. People do the same thing in objectives, but on a smaller scale and in spells. In regards to visual effects, I wasn't referring to the autonomous drone as much as some of the other abilities, but it does have a very small aggro range and seems to go down in 2 or 3 hits. That would seem to suggest it was intended for more mobile play styles, which is problematic as detailed. FWIW, I don't want a vanilla military shooter. I like the classes and abilities, they just need to be balanced. I don't think I'm the only person to call a lot of this stuff out.

The classes are balanced with the objective modes in mind. Why don't you play the objective based modes? Your apparent focus on TDM/Assault class leads me to believe you do prefer vanilla mil shooters. I referred to the autonomous drone because you used it as an example..

Just started a new PSN account for my PS4 and wondered the same thing. UK Gaf here but happy to add anyone who will be up for some team games of KZ.

ID - Apollowexx

Jordoon

I really wish I could see an in-game list of all players that shows kills, deaths, assists and their current class. The in-game and in-between game UI is kind of terrible.

edit: Also, it should show each teams current score as a number in the Team Deathmatch Warzone's, rather than just the bars that fill in.

PSN: Mr_Jordoon

Ilúvatar

I really wish I could see an in-game list of all players that shows kills, deaths, assists and their current class. The in-game and in-between game UI is kind of terrible.

I actually like how the UI is setup, I think they just made some very unorthodox design decisions. For example, the scoreboard is not at all ideal, and not even being able to see my Kills/Deaths is very strange.

Jordoon

Ilúvatar;91273936 said:
I actually like how the UI is setup, I think they just made some very unorthodox design decisions. For example, the scoreboard is not at all ideal, and not even being able to see my Kills/Deaths is very strange.

It's not that I don't like the setup, I just don't like the
lack of
content that is displayed.

kaiyo

Does it not show K/D in deathmatch? They don't show it in Warzone because they don't want ppl to be distracted by K/D ratio in an objective game. Though I think they should show it at the end of the game.

Does it not show K/D in deathmatch? They don't show it in Warzone because they don't want ppl to be distracted by K/D ratio in an objective game. Though I think they should show it at the end of the game.

Deathmatch is just Warzone with one mode and round, so it shows exactly the same information.

Aside from the obvious,

1) Hipfire buff (though I fear this would result in a need to rebalance weapons...so it will need to be thoroughly tested. I like the gun balance currently, but hipfire is literally useless in any situation)

2) There should absolutely be a way to knock out enemies when they are downed, like in past Killzone games. It's way too silly that enemies can lie on the ground forever until they are respawned. Or, at the very least, grenade blasts, in addition to brutal melees and headshots should invalidate their opportunity to revive. This may not be an issue at all if you fix #3, which I find to be the culprit.

3) Revives should NOT resupply ANY ammo!! Especially grenades. It makes Supply boxes absolutely useless...

4) Supply boxes need to be visible on map. They need to be a much more viable support ability, but it will never be used with how contradictory the current health regeneration and "revive and resupply" is. On top of all this, actually bothering to go through the animation of getting ammo and health is much too inconvenient. In Killzone 2/3, resupply boxes were all around the map in fixed positions, allowing players to gear up before engaging. But by making it portable in Shadow Fall, people aren't going to bother in the thick of battle when they can just auto-regenerate health in seconds and have their ammo resupplied with revives.

-I assume players can drop supply boxes and then change their ability while having the supply boxes stay on the map (like spawn beacons, turrets, and other abilities). Not sure if this is how it works, but if not, players should be able to drop supply boxes and have them stay on the map for an extended period (maybe 2x longer than that of Spawn Beacons).

-This way, ammo boxes are encouraged and equally important as the other support abilities. As of now, they are rather useless and undermined by revives.

5) Assassination mode. I wont give up on this and am sad that more people aren't asking for it.

6) Party members should absolutely be colour-coded with individual colours on the minimap. Not just blue. Use as many colours as there are players in your party.

7) I wouldn't mind buffing the Spoor. Not in terms of damage, but Rate of Fire. Unlike Killzone 3, since snipers can't be invisible while firing guns, there shouldn't be an issue with buffing this gun to be a viable weapon.

8) PLEASE: HAVE AUTO-BALANCE AND MINIMUM PLAYER REQUIREMENT! Or at least don't punish me for quitting from lousy matchmaking.

Quitting games that throw us into lopsided matches (I'm talking about insane 7 vs. 2 matches) should NOT be punished with a loss.

Nor is it fair to throw us in games where you are playing 1v1 or with JUST YOURSELF. The online population is so shockingly low that I dare not bother loading up playlists that have like 20 players in them, because I'm too afraid of being thrown into a server with just myself. You guys need to tighten up the way you guys fill up servers here.

New rounds of matches should balance teams when starting a round where a group quits. For example, you may play game #1 where it's 7v7, then you stick around for the next map, only to have everyone else on your team quit... leaving you in a 7v1 situation.

Balance the teams, obviously without splitting members who are in a friend party. And if you can't do that, then don't make the match count as a ranked match, or reset the actual map when enough players join. Because it's nonsense trying to hold back a whole team, praying that enough players join your team, when by then, the enemy team has already gained like 2 points.

9) If you aren't going to make 12v12 warzone the default, at least increase 7v7 to 9v9. I feel like this may be a better balance for the size of the maps, which sometimes feel too big when you hold back on player limit. I assume you are holding back because 12v12 may be too overwhelming for new players/map size.

10) Please bring back Salamun Market :D

No Love

Banned
Aside from the obvious,

1) Hipfire buff (though I fear this would result in a need to rebalance weapons...so it will need to be thoroughly tested. I like the gun balance currently, but hipfire is literally useless in any situation)

2) There should absolutely be a way to knock out enemies when they are downed, like in past Killzone games. It's way too silly that enemies can lie on the ground forever until they are respawned. Or, at the very least, grenade blasts, in addition to brutal melees and headshots should invalidate their opportunity to revive. This may not be an issue at all if you fix #3, which I find to be the culprit.

3) Revives should NOT resupply ANY ammo!! Especially grenades. It makes Supply boxes absolutely useless...

4) Supply boxes need to be visible on map. They need to be a much more viable support ability, but it will never be used with how contradictory the current health regeneration and "revive and resupply" is. On top of all this, actually bothering to go through the animation of getting ammo and health is much too inconvenient. In Killzone 2/3, resupply boxes were all around the map in fixed positions, allowing players to gear up before engaging. But by making it portable in Shadow Fall, people aren't going to bother in the thick of battle when they can just auto-regenerate health in seconds and have their ammo resupplied with revives.

-I assume players can drop supply boxes and then change their ability while having the supply boxes stay on the map (like spawn beacons, turrets, and other abilities). Not sure if this is how it works, but if not, players should be able to drop supply boxes and have them stay on the map for an extended period (maybe 2x longer than that of Spawn Beacons).

-This way, ammo boxes are encouraged and equally important as the other support abilities. As of now, they are rather useless and undermined by revives.

5) Assassination mode. I wont give up on this and am sad that more people aren't asking for it.

6) Party members should absolutely be colour-coded with individual colours on the minimap. Not just blue. Use as many colours as there are players in your party.

7) I wouldn't mind buffing the Spoor. Not in terms of damage, but Rate of Fire. Unlike Killzone 3, since snipers can't be invisible while firing guns, there shouldn't be an issue with buffing this gun to be a viable weapon.

8) PLEASE: HAVE AUTO-BALANCE AND MINIMUM PLAYER REQUIREMENT! Or at least don't punish me for quitting from lousy matchmaking.

Quitting games that throw us into lopsided matches (I'm talking about insane 7 vs. 2 matches) should NOT be punished with a loss.

Nor is it fair to throw us in games where you are playing 1v1 or with JUST YOURSELF. The online population is so shockingly low that I dare not bother loading up playlists that have like 20 players in them, because I'm too afraid of being thrown into a server with just myself. You guys need to tighten up the way you guys fill up servers here.

New rounds of matches should balance teams when starting a round where a group quits. For example, you may play game #1 where it's 7v7, then you stick around for the next map, only to have everyone else on your team quit... leaving you in a 7v1 situation.

Balance the teams, obviously without splitting members who are in a friend party. And if you can't do that, then don't make the match count as a ranked match, or reset the actual map when enough players join. Because it's nonsense trying to hold back a whole team, praying that enough players join your team, when by then, the enemy team has already gained like 2 points.

9) If you aren't going to make 12v12 warzone the default, at least increase 7v7 to 9v9. I feel like this may be a better balance for the size of the maps, which sometimes feel too big when you hold back on player limit. I assume you are holding back because 12v12 may be too overwhelming for new players/map size.

10) Please bring back Salamun Market :D

Signed. This man speaks the truth!

And yes, hipfire does feel really, really gimped. Needs a decent accuracy boost. Maybe 10-15% extra accuracy for some guns with extended firing giving a big decrease in accuracy due to recoil.

Maxy

Banned
Now when people have had the time to try the game out for some time I'd love to hear a verdict on the DS4 triggers. Are they good enough for competitive FPS multiplayer or are people going with the L1/R1 setup? Would love to hear from someone who played/plays FPS games with the 360/ONE controller.

No Love

Banned
Now when people have had the time to try the game out for some time I'd love to hear a verdict on the DS4 triggers. Are they good enough for competitive FPS multiplayer or are people going with the L1/R1 setup? Would love to hear from someone who played/plays FPS games with the 360/ONE controller.

PS4 controller > 360 controller for FPSes. And I've been using the 360 controller since late 2005 when it first came out. PS4 controller is the best controller I've ever used, even though the 360 controller is a close 2nd.

I suck at the multiplayer. I get killed way too fast before I get a few shots on someone. I guess I should try for more headshots but my last few sessions have been frustrating.

I enjoyed the hell out of the SP campaign though.

No Love

Banned
Cool! And you use the L2-aim and R2-fire as well?

Yep! That's the default config. I never found L1 aim R1 fire to feel as comfortable as 360's L2 Aim R2 fire.

Dual Shock 4 L2/R2 triggers are so, so good. If you love the 360 controller, you'll marry the DS4.

I totally disagree with the idea that hipfire needs to be buffed. That is just crazy talk IMO.

Yea I've had no trouble taking out people with hip fire at medium to close range. As long as your not going full auto, hip fire is fairly accurate and should be useless at long range.

Hip fire buff is going to likely make a bunch of weapons suddenly superior and they need to do lot of weapon balancing before they do any type of across the board hip fire buffs

Top Bottom