• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Discussion

looking forward to playing again. chillin in the hospital right now with the wife in labor. hopefully within 2 hours the kid will be here.

Nipo

Or your team hasn't unlocked that yet.

I swear, what was the logic behind making all the guns unlocked from the get-go again? Because I'm not seeing the difference when you can just call them "attachments".

I agree. They also made some of the unlocks really tedious which doesn't help. I was having to go out of my way and change my play style to get some useful attachments.

I'll now I'll never be able to unlock some of the scout attachments as I suck as camping and head shots from cover seem to be luck based for me.

Jarate

Banned
Psn: Octavion_Rex
the online is awesome but I found a few problems with the people playing as support class. NO ONE uses spawn beacons but me and no one seems to care to heal.....

Is their anyone out there that works for the team? People playing like its call of duty....i just want to scream gtfo. Only when i'm losing do I care, of course haha

I don't think the game tells you well enough when you are able to redeploy your spawn beacon. There needs to be some type of sound effect that plays when you can build another one

I swear, what was the logic behind making all the guns unlocked from the get-go again? Because I'm not seeing the difference when you can just call them "attachments".

^This

People like to unlock weapons, no one likes to unlock "mods"

also, im like level 250+ and haven't unlocked that shit yet. You'd think that they would fucking allow that to come up a lot earlier...

DrPreston

I'm disappointed. I'm new to Killzone so I have no idea how it is compared to other games in the series, but to me it plays like Call of Duty in molasses, without sticky aim. Unlocks and realistic military style weapons are overplayed at this point. I was hoping for something that would finally take the "Best multiplayer console shooter" crown from Halo Reach. Come to think of it, Halo is the only console shooter series that has produced good multiplayer for me. Every other shooter needs to be on PC for me to enjoy it.

Jarate

Banned
I'm disappointed. I'm new to Killzone so I have no idea how it is compared to other games in the series, but to me it plays like Call of Duty in molasses, without sticky aim. Unlocks and realistic military style weapons are overplayed at this point. I was hoping for something that would finally take the "Best multiplayer console shooter" crown from Halo Reach. Come to think of it, Halo is the only console shooter series that has produced good multiplayer for me. Every other shooter needs to be on PC for me to enjoy it.

I actually like how heavy the game is, weight is something a lot of games don't do well

It's similar to Call of Duty, but those are modern shooting mechanics for ya :|

also, what's up with this new thing of everyone praising Halo recently. The games have always been incredibly slow auto-aim messes. Im not saying it's bad, it's just not the golden egg people claim it to be

boohowc

Banned
I actually like how heavy the game is, weight is something a lot of games don't do well

It's similar to Call of Duty, but those are modern shooting mechanics for ya :|

also, what's up with this new thing of everyone praising Halo recently. The games have always been incredibly slow auto-aim messes. Im not saying it's bad, it's just not the golden egg people claim it to be

I've actually seen the opposite. If you go in the Halo OT...half the people call Halo 4 the worst multi-player of the series. Definitely down-trending in that franchise IMO

Yes, the gameplay experience is CoD without aim assist. With a small mix of Crysis.

As one who hasn't played CoD since MW, it's fun for me. If I had been playing the yearly CoD rehash annually, I'd be a bit bored. I'm having fun and I really like the maps.

The only thing I dislike is the frequency that matches turn into camping wars. Maybe they should get rid of the Spawn Beacon in TDM. That's the big source of the problem. Instant respawns to spawn beacons are something of a problem.

GodofWine

looking forward to playing again. chillin in the hospital right now with the wife in labor. hopefully within 2 hours the kid will be here.

The longer the kid stays in , the longer you can game unimpeded.

I have a 4yr old and a 2yr old and routinely fall asleep at night right around the time killzone gaf starts playing (9 ish) despite my 8 oclock coffee.

The Coffee, It Does Nothing.

Mcbain-thats-the-joke.jpg

took me like 2 hours to unlock once i looked at the requirements. I personally think the drone/ turrets are fine.

I really don't like the multiplayer on this game. Some aspects of it are good, but I have some problems:

-No voice chat

-I play Team Deathmatch, and the scoreboard at top just says 0-0 THE ENTIRE TIME. Why would they count it like a mission? It's stupid. I want to know what the score of the two teams. And the player list when you hit the touchpad is stupid. I want to see an easy-to-read player list with score from both teams, and instead you just get list of everybody and who's doing best.

-Nobody plays! I was just on, and there's about 500 people playing. About 4 Warzones are active. Here I was gettting excited about this "custom warzones" system where there will always be a bunch of interesting and unique game modes to play, but instead everybody only play Classic Warzone, Team Deathmatch, and that's about it.

-No free-for-all option. You may say that's not the style of game Killzone is, but it was in Killzone Mercenary and it's awesome there.

-Framerate isn't at all what I thought it would be. I thought we would be getting at least "Call of Duty style" 60fps, if not a perfect 60fps, but I've been watching my brother play Ghosts on his PS4 and it's consistently much smoother than KZ:SF. It may occasionally be 60fps, but it's not very often. I feel gimped, because that one Guerilla guy said it would only drop below 60fps if something like all 24 players threw a grenade at the same time. No. That's not remotely true. It seems to be below 60fps about 75-80% of the time.

Ugh, I'm just mad. I wanted this to be THE go-to multiplayer FPS on PS4, and I really thought it was going to be.

I'm with you, I wanted this to be the game but instead it's just another FPS. Not a bad game but recently I've just been getting bored 2-3 matches after I get on. It's not possible to mix it up with the low population either so I just keep playing the same low player default warzone :[

I really don't like the multiplayer on this game. Some aspects of it are good, but I have some problems:

-No voice chat

-I play Team Deathmatch, and the scoreboard at top just says 0-0 THE ENTIRE TIME. Why would they count it like a mission? It's stupid. I want to know what the score of the two teams. And the player list when you hit the touchpad is stupid. I want to see an easy-to-read player list with score from both teams, and instead you just get list of everybody and who's doing best.

-Nobody plays! I was just on, and there's about 500 people playing. About 4 Warzones are active. Here I was gettting excited about this "custom warzones" system where there will always be a bunch of interesting and unique game modes to play, but instead everybody only play Classic Warzone, Team Deathmatch, and that's about it.

-No free-for-all option. You may say that's not the style of game Killzone is, but it was in Killzone Mercenary and it's awesome there.

-Framerate isn't at all what I thought it would be. I thought we would be getting at least "Call of Duty style" 60fps, if not a perfect 60fps, but I've been watching my brother play Ghosts on his PS4 and it's consistently much smoother than KZ:SF. It may occasionally be 60fps, but it's not very often. I feel gimped, because that one Guerilla guy said it would only drop below 60fps if something like all 24 players threw a grenade at the same time. No. That's not remotely true. It seems to be below 60fps about 75-80% of the time.

Ugh, I'm just mad. I wanted this to be THE go-to multiplayer FPS on PS4, and I really thought it was going to be.

Yeah framerate is pretty disappointing. It's around 40-60 in 14 player Warzone and 30-35 fps in 24 player warzone.

drproton

BaC8HcgIMAEJxbi.jpg:large

This is going to take forever.

Psn: Octavion_Rex
the online is awesome but I found a few problems with the people playing as support class. NO ONE uses spawn beacons but me and no one seems to care to heal.....

Is their anyone out there that works for the team? People playing like its call of duty....i just want to scream gtfo. Only when i'm losing do I care, of course haha

I feel the same way. Just like in Killzone 2, I can't trust anyone else to play Tactitian but me lol.

So stressful using anything else other than spawn beacon, unless I play with friends. Even though assault and recon have good team-oriented abilities, I can't ever not be placing spawn beacons around.

Name your kid Visari.

Jarate

Banned
FUCK YES, GOT A NEW ROUTER AND NOW I CAN SHOOT THINGS

ENDED UP TOP FRAGGING AND ACTUALLY GETTING A WIN, I OUTSCORED EVERYONE IN THE GAME BY 4000 POINTS

IM SO HAPPY THAT I CAN NOW KILL THINGS WITH A GUN

MOST OF MY KILLS BEFORE CAME FROM MELEE, SHOTGUNS, AND GRENADES, NOW I CAN ACTUALLY SHOT THINGS

I AM HAPPY

Get rid of the grenade launcher. This weapon attachment I believe will eventually ruin the multiplayer

Why do MP designers keep making these things so damn powerful?

This is what should be done: only make them effective against enemy equipment, and have them do just 15-20% damage to enemy players with no knockdown; that way you don't have everyone running noob-tubing up a storm.

So what if it doesn't make sense that a guy can take a high-explosive projectile to the chest and keep on keepin' on -- it'd make for a better balanced experience.

ref

Finally got the 500 stuns with Assault, now need to get Drone kills, ugh. I hope that thing isn't as useless as I think it is... EDIT: It's pretty bad...

Shield kills done as well, after I finish up with Assault think I'll move on to Support.

Why do MP designers keep making these things so damn powerful?

This is what should be done: only make them effective against enemy equipment, and have them do just 15-20% damage to enemy players with no knockdown; that way you don't have everyone running noob-tubing up a storm.

So what if it doesn't make sense that a guy can take a high-explosive projectile to the chest and keep on keepin' on -- it'd make for a better balanced experience.
Hell, make them launch EMPs rather than explosives. That way you can keep your game's fiction and avoid making counter-intuitive compromises in the sake of balance. You can still mess with a player's functions without insta-killing.

Picking up Killzone as my MP shooter tomorrow for PAL PS4 release, seems to be getting mixed impressions, but here's hoping it will hold my attention for the foreseeable future.

Disappointed to hear there isn't voice chat and very little party systems.

lack of voice chat really makes it hard. i think a lot of people don't really know what they are doing...myself included. if there was like a "squad leader" that gave me advice on what i should be doing i think i'd be able to play better/more correctly lol

I like your idea about squad leaders. If you want, you can play with me and my friend. we can help you!

I don't think the game tells you well enough when you are able to redeploy your spawn beacon. There needs to be some type of sound effect that plays when you can build another one

I feel the same way. Just like in Killzone 2, I can't trust anyone else to play Tactitian but me lol.

So stressful using anything else other than spawn beacon, unless I play with friends. Even though assault and recon have good team-oriented abilities, I can't ever not be placing spawn beacons around.

Name your kid Visari.

Everything right here I agree with. even the baby name!

Has anyone else noticed how stinking long attack and defend feel like? I was talking with my friends and we think all other game types are perfect at 5 min. Except attack and defend. we thought maybe 3:30 would be perfect. Opinions on that?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I tried a few matches tonight. I can't see anything long distance on some levels. I think it's a lot of fun, but it gets no support at all from the gaming community. I feel as though there are barely anyone online or everyone else is on Ghosts.

I need to get some better attachments for my weapons.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Can't even get to the MP now. I get an error message trying to connect to it. Error code 10000 E_NP_AUTH_FAILED

it was working fine before. I was in a match and then when the voting selection began, I got an error message and had to report it to Sony. PSN is still working fine, just not the MP for me.

Edit:

Ha as soon as I submitted the message I retried it and managed to sign on.

Grinchy

Banned
The only real complaint I have is that the party system is groups of 8, but the main warzone is 7v7, should at least up it to 8v8 so you can have a full party.

I still don't understand the 7v7 playercount for default Warzone. Maybe it's just that it helps make the framerate super smooth and they want people to think the game runs near 60fps, I dunno. Maybe it's because 7v7 is what they think is the best number of players for warzone on these maps.

All I know is that I wish it was 8v8 or 9v9 at least. There was a 24 player Warzone playlist going around before but not enough people were using it.

All I know is that I wish it was 8v8 or 9v9 at least. There was a 24 player Warzone playlist going around before but not enough people were using it.
That's all I've been playing lately, and loving it.

KIllzone just feels better when there is a lot more action going on.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
FFS why doesn't anyone use the support class. Christ wtf is wrong with these dumb randoms? I'm always the only one putting spawn beacons around the objectives in Warzone while every other random on my team is using the class with the shields and dying over and over again.

FFS why doesn't anyone use the support class. Christ wtf is wrong with these dumb randoms? I'm always the only one putting spawn beacons around the objectives in Warzone while every other random on my team is using the class with the shields and dying over and over again.
Isn't that how its supposed to work? You as support, support those guys. Do you really need several people dropping spawns?

Don't get me wrong, I love support, but I think they work best when behind a firing line of assault troops with intel from scouts. Even one support can go a long way.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Isn't that how its supposed to work? You as support, support those guys. Do you really need several people dropping spawns?

Don't get me wrong, I love support, but I think they work best when behind a firing line of assault troops with intel from scouts. Even one support can go a long way.
Multiple spawn points gives a better advantage, especially if let's say my spawn beacon gets destroyed another person could place another one. And having more than one person be reviving downed team mates helps a lot.

Grinchy

Banned

I played a few hours tonight and was pleasantly surprised to find other people playing support. I could finally play some assault and unlock some stuff.

Fistwell

2nd class PAL-land citizen here.

Questions: how's the online infrastructure? P2P? Dedicated servers? Any general comments on lag? What's the population like? I read only a few hundred people... but that's just ground war, correct?

boohowc

Banned
i cant figure out the trajectory of a grenade. seems like there is some randomness to how it flies or it doesn't follow the usual parabolic arc...always end up throwing my nades against things and sometimes killing myself :\

2nd class PAL-land citizen here.

Questions: how's the online infrastructure? P2P? Dedicated servers? Any general comments on lag? What's the population like? I read only a few hundred people... but that's just ground war, correct?

Haven't really had any lag issues so far. The most I've seen online in the evening is a couple thousand. During non-peak hours it was usually less than 1K. Every one probably still playing COD or BF4 unfortunately. Hopefully EU release bumps that number up a bit and the lag is ok.

lead designer Eric Boltjes

What is Killzone Shadow Fall’s multiplayer network structure like?
Killzone Shadow Fall has dedicated servers hosted in various regions around the world. These servers do not run the logic of the game – they only act as a hub between the clients, forwarding network traffic from one player in game to all other players in game. This allows people with a slower connection or strict firewall settings to play without issues. Almost all logic relating to you (e.g. moving, shooting and taking damage) runs on your local PS4, with only a very small portion of the game logic (i.e. mission/scoring logic) running on the ‘session master’, one PS4 in the game selected for its connection quality.

X-Frame

i cant figure out the trajectory of a grenade. seems like there is some randomness to how it flies or it doesn't follow the usual parabolic arc...always end up throwing my nades against things and sometimes killing myself.

I've probably killed myself more with the Petrusite a Grenade than I did enemy players, haha. The thing is like throwing a kite sometimes, it just flies wherever it wants. And if anyone steps even slightly in front of you, prepare for some petrusite in your face!

TheJerit

congrats on all the babies popping out!

yeah, i think this weekend is going to be loaded with all of our european counterparts joining the party. i haven't played in a while, been busy but i'm hoping to get some good sessions in during the next couple of days i have off for thanksgiving.

Top Bottom