• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Discussion

X-Frame

On the Saturday after PS4 released I got a 15 kill streak and I was completely baffled as to when that happened. I remembered killing a lot of people defending S&D, but not that much.

It unlocked a Tier 3 Reaper challenge from that game, and so far I haven't seen anyone else with that playercard in-game. The Tier 4 Reaper requires a 20 kill streak, that will be tough! Maybe a Scout + Emergency Teleport for that one.

EekTheKat

Oh thank god I got the 5 head shots with a Punt while zoomed in done - it sounds a lot easier than it actually was since the Punt's damage seems a lot lower the further away you are.

Just have to unlock three scopes on the two semi automatic snipers, then the rest is largely attainable in just regular play I think.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Psn: Octavion_Rex
the online is awesome but I found a few problems with the people playing as support class. NO ONE uses spawn beacons but me and no one seems to care to heal.....
I see plenty of healing from people playing support, but spawn beacons are rare and I think the number of times I have seen ammo dispensed are... zero.

Is their anyone out there that works for the team? People playing like its call of duty....i just want to scream gtfo. Only when i'm losing do I care, of course haha
I think about half the time, people do play together and try to win. Not ideal, but still better than the ammo cache and tactical spawn camping fests from KZ3.

X-Frame

Supply boxes would be more useful if reviving didn't replenish your ammo, grenades and health.

I agree. I have a feeling they will be changed/improved somehow, so I am holding off on trying to use them to complete challenges.

I also feel the same for the Spoor, so I am not using that yet either.

Gator86

i cant figure out the trajectory of a grenade. seems like there is some randomness to how it flies or it doesn't follow the usual parabolic arc...always end up throwing my nades against things and sometimes killing myself :

There's a weird geometry thing going on. It affects the noob tubes as well. Half the time I use it the grenade hits an invisible wall in front of me and kills me immediately.

Supply boxes would be more useful if reviving didn't replenish your ammo, grenades and health.

Supply Box has a lot of problems.

1. It's too hard to see in the game world (excluding map icons and action feed notification)
2. Have to look down and it disables your character for too long.
3. Can only carry 1 Grenade at a time (the above quote is also true and similar).
4. There are more important abilities to choose from and much more significant goals you should have then just replenishing ammo.
5. The Challenge goal requires your teamates to go out of their way to use it in order for it to level up (aka you are at their mercy).

This is a very good thing.

I agree, but to put it in perspective, you start with full ammo/grenades. The only time it would be useful is close to a fire-fight AFTER engaging in which you hardly have a chance to go through finding the box, looking down and waiting for your ammo to refill.

No Love

Banned
I see plenty of healing from people playing support, but spawn beacons are rare and I think the number of times I have seen ammo dispensed are... zero.

I think about half the time, people do play together and try to win. Not ideal, but still better than the ammo cache and tactical spawn camping fests from KZ3.

I use spawn beacon 90% of the time as support. It is uber, uber useful. If you can infiltrate enemy lines, you can completely disrupt them by placing a spawn beacon and flank the shit out of them with your horde of freshly spawned teammates. I love it. My spawn beacon is at level 12 right now.

I also use the minigun or voltage gun to great effect when it comes to defending my spawn beacons. If someone lays down nanoshields + turrets, we can have mini-bases and run rampant on the enemy. I'm really liking the minigun, except you can't melee with it and it does have a bit of a delay while you spin it up before shooting. However you can lay waste to 2-3 enemies pretty rapidly if you line them up and go hogwild. The voltage gun is great too since 2-3 hits will kill an enemy, however the reloading on it is pretty damn slow.

The Stova or whatever it's called (the machine gun) is good too except it takes up too much of your screen and doesn't seem to do enough damage. And hipfiring it means AWFUL accuracy.

I use spawn beacon 90% of the time as support. It is uber, uber useful. If you can infiltrate enemy lines, you can completely disrupt them by placing a spawn beacon and flank the shit out of them with your horde of freshly spawned teammates. I love it. My spawn beacon is at level 12 right now.
I'm still learning the maps otherwise I'd run with it too, but would rather no spawn than a bad spawn right now. Already have a loadout configured for it though and will break it out if I feel we're being pushed back too far.

I think I've put down ONE supply box, and I'm not even sure if anybody even used it. Positioning them is interesting. You don't want them near your spawn, but within the safest zone of your offensive push. I guess at objective points too, for guarding. But in those cases I'd still rather run with a turret.

Personally I've just gotten used to picking up dropped weapons when I run low.

No Love

Banned
I'm still learning the maps otherwise I'd run with it too, but would rather no spawn than a bad spawn right now. Already have a loadout configured for it though and will break it out if I feel we're being pushed back too far.

I think I've put down ONE supply box, and I'm not even sure if anybody even used it.

Here's a great tip for it that won't mean you have to learn the maps 100%:

Find where your teammates are 'stuck at' (you'll see the revive icons because they'll be dying as they fight) Find a wall/obscure place nearby, a corner works best. Drop the spawn beacon there. This will GREATLY increase the effectiveness of your team and also allow you to figure out 'choke points' and the flow of each map.

Also, every time someone spawns there you get 25 'assist' points which can ramp up pretty rapidly. I'm rarely #1 for points on my team, but I'll say that I'm almost always #1 at making sure my team wins/is effective thanks to smart placement of my spawn beacons.

Thanks for the tip - I pretty much use that advice for setting up my static defenses. Will run with the spawn generator next time and see how it goes.

Is it a permanent fixture on a map until destroyed? Or does it have a time limit or spawn limit?

Baliis

Thanks for the tip - I pretty much use that advice for setting up my static defenses. Will run with the spawn generator next time and see how it goes.

Is it a permanent fixture on a map until destroyed? Or does it have a time limit or spawn limit?

It's not permanent, but it lasts quite a while. It really is super powerful though, just setting one up near the forward lines to get people back into the fight faster makes it so much easier to push forward if you're attacking or to stave off an attack if you're defending. During something like capture and hold, I can usually set one up near the middle point so that we can control it, then it's super easy to funnel into the two side points and hold those.

Thanks guys. Were still in the hospital. Im taking the older kid home at night, but wifey and baby get to come home tomorrow morning. Its terribly boring here. Hoping to get some good gaming in tomorrow night. Im off of work for 2 weeks. Woot.

Nipo

Supply Box has a lot of problems.

1. It's too hard to see in the game world (excluding map icons and action feed notification)
2. Have to look down and it disables your character for too long.
3. Can only carry 1 Grenade at a time (the above quote is also true and similar).
4. There are more important abilities to choose from and much more significant goals you should have then just replenishing ammo.
5. The Challenge goal requires your teamates to go out of their way to use it in order for it to level up (aka you are at their mercy).

The best use i've found for supply boxes is defend missions. You can set one up right next to the generator and the smart team mates realize it is a never ending supply of grenades so they refill often.

I think it would be better, and actually used, if reviving didn't refill everything and stopping at a supply box was the only way to carry 2 grenades.

Over a million points here and doing well. This game is seriously awesome but OMFG some of the players in this game are straight up fucking BAD. Like .4 KDR bad and yes they are ANNOYING to have on your team when they don't do anything. We are talking Scouts and Assault with KDRs this bad on a regular basis in Warzone.

People really need to start stepping up their game here. I have friends who just ROLL through TDM in groups with mega 3 plus KDRs but I stick to Warzone and there is no way i can keep that KDR and win matches playing alone. I feel tethered to spawns but have been expanding out. I have about 550 challenges or so done. Missed my F'ing 20k steak like 5 or 6 times and a couple because the match ended. Grrrr.

Anyway, the scores for this game are laughable. This is easily the most skill based FPS we have had in years for consoles with this kind of quality. No idea what reviewers are smoking but I'd say they barely even touched multiplayer and objectively they can go screw themselves for being so misleading.

What people should not do is fill themselves with lies. Get better and practice. This game comes with free maps and we can expect 6 to 8 of them or more. That alone with worth sticking around.

I laugh my ass off at those noobs talking about this as just another ADS game. As if this game should be a hip firing noob fest where people jingle their controller and magically give headshots 80 feet away. Please. This game takes tons of skill to have a high KDR and take first in mission points in Warzone. So obvious some of the haters are terrible at this game and need the aim assist crutch.

No Love

Banned

Spawn limit... the more you use it, the more people can spawn on it. Also has a time limit I think. It can be destroyed as well by enemy players.

My strategy of choice lately has been to start as support, lay down a good spawn beacon, and respawn as assault once I die. Once the spawn beacon is gone I rinse and repeat. It's a pretty nice mix but I do occasionally find myself quickly pressing left on the dpad to revive teammates while I'm playing assault. :p

methane47

So popped it into my PS4 for the first time tonight. Ran a bit of SP. which was nice. very pretty.. very clean.

Popped on Multiplayer... which looks great... but.... something is wierd.. or off or something.

Is it the FOV? does the FOV seem too narrow to anyone else? Or maybe its something else?

Remf

It's 1:45am, wife is asleep and I'm bored so I feel like killing some helgans. Who else wants to get into some of that action?

PSN: remf

fixuis

I just had my best games ever on mp. Three wins in a row team dm. Very close all three.3-5 kill difference between the two teams. Love this game so much! Knew this was gonna be special when they hired back the kz2 map designer for this one. Also played some sp last night , man those gfx.. Ch 3 :-O

Paertan

I'm assuming this game will get a boost after this weekend?

Only having 800 players total in Warzone is kind of disappointing.

Probably. But I would prefer there was enough people that we could have EU servers and NA servers. The lag when playing on mixed servers is terrible.
But better than empty servers!

Fistwell

Haven't really had any lag issues so far. The most I've seen online in the evening is a couple thousand. During non-peak hours it was usually less than 1K. Every one probably still playing COD or BF4 unfortunately. Hopefully EU release bumps that number up a bit and the lag is ok.

lead designer Eric Boltjes

What is Killzone Shadow Fall’s multiplayer network structure like?
Killzone Shadow Fall has dedicated servers hosted in various regions around the world. These servers do not run the logic of the game – they only act as a hub between the clients, forwarding network traffic from one player in game to all other players in game. This allows people with a slower connection or strict firewall settings to play without issues. Almost all logic relating to you (e.g. moving, shooting and taking damage) runs on your local PS4, with only a very small portion of the game logic (i.e. mission/scoring logic) running on the ‘session master’, one PS4 in the game selected for its connection quality.
Thx for the info, much appreciated.

You are so right...I have never seen ammo. About KZ3, yeah this is much better.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So, that 60fps thing was a straight up lie and their dedis comment was disingenuous. Nice to know GG hasn't changed.

They were clear about the dedicated servers issue but the framerate is a huge disappointment in MP. It's all over the place. I hope they can get performance up and get rid of the horrid FXAA blur down the line with patches.

X-Frame

My strategy of choice lately has been to start as support, lay down a good spawn beacon, and respawn as assault once I die. Once the spawn beacon is gone I rinse and repeat. It's a pretty nice mix but I do occasionally find myself quickly pressing left on the dpad to revive teammates while I'm playing assault. :p

I've been doing something similar lately.

I always spawn first with a Spawn Beacon to place it down, then if I die I'll switch to a class with an Air Sentry or Ground Turret, place those, and if I die too quickly I can have a Spawn Beacon, Ground Turret, and Air Sentry all on the field at the same time, then I make sure to revert to a Spawn Beacon before or after the current one disappears.

http://community.killzone.com/t5/Ki...ne-Shadow-Fall-v1-05-Patch-Notes/td-p/1447897

Killzone Shadow Fall patch v1.05 has been released! This update introduces several improvements and a new feature, based directly on your feedback:

The controller options menu now offers support for left-handed players. Please note that this change only affects the analog sticks, not the shoulder buttons or the triggers.

The end section of single-player campaign chapter 7, "Secure the Target", has been shortened based on player feedback.

In single-player campaign chapter 8, "Outcast", the collision ceiling has been raised to allow players to fly over certain buildings, instead of crashing into them. This should result in less overall player deaths.

Various bugs fixes:

Several UI issues fixed

Error messages in Multiplayer amended to have better indication of the error

Edge-case crashes related to friends lists fixed

Additional integrity fixes for the patching system

Patch v1.05 should download and install automatically, but in rare instances where this doesn't happen you may encounter an error message when you try to enter a multiplayer match. If this is the case, please reboot your PS4 to begin the patch installation process. The integrity fix included with patch v1.05 will prevent this error from reoccurring in the future.

Thank you for providing us with your feedback – and please continue to make your ideas for Killzone Shadow Fall heard on our Player Voice website. Your input helps shape the game.

Enjoy!

Drakeon

Hoping the community grows after tomorrow and Xmas, because I just can't get into BF4 and I'm not buying Ghosts. Makes me sad to see so few people online :(

This is my go to game in between platinuming AC4.

Top Bottom