• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Discussion

ref

Going to be starting a party in about 5-10 mins.

Add Callmeref if you want an invite.

3 slots available.

Finally played MP for the first time last night, though only for two rounds. I mostly ran as a Support using the Pulver, and Spawn Beacon as my second ability, switching to other abilities to try them out. I just played Classic Warzone and did ok in the first round, finishing middle of the pack. I guess it was to be expected for my first time since I had to get used to aiming. And even though I live in Japan, I played with what I assume to be players in NA and EU and had no latency issues at all.

Second round I was on fire. My team need up winning and I was number one, earning a ton of accolades including most points/captures/revives/spawns.

I got the spawn beacon to Mark VII and revive drone to IV. And I unlocked the ACOG for the Pulver mid-second round,and man, it handles really well. Wish the aiming reticule was a dot instead of the diamond, though. I tried the shotgun and LMG, too. Liking the LMG but I wish the shotgun felt more like the KZ2 version. I want that Support King icon for my player card, gotta use everything the Support has got.

Although I only played two maps for about an hour, I am loving the MP! Feels very much like KZ2. Only played with randoms, but because it was classic Warzone most of them PTFO. Can wait to curb stomp with my fellow GAFfers! I'll be on in about two hours if anyone wants to play.

ref

Have they patched in voice chat yet? If not, any word?

Nope, still no in-game voice chat. I think they've acknowledged the outcry for it though, so I imagine it will be in for sure at some point in the future.

Also, good games again tonight guys. Always have a blast playing with GAF.

Are spots still open in party?

Sorry, I would have responded but I just posted that and went back to playing since we already had a semi-full party, didn't really plan on checking back right away since I left my PSN ID there. But yeah, we probably would have had room! Feel free to add me anyways though for the future, I'll probably be on tomorrow once I get home from work and if there's enough interest, I'll start another party.

Huggers

One of the most annoying things I find occurs in this game. I seem to always be the only person putting down the beacons, sometimes there are others, the 24-player games seem to be better, but still end up being only two of us a lot.

Made the same point earlier in the thread. I find myself constantly putting out spawn points for others as no one else wants to do it. Annoying as it is essential to winning a lot of games

Played a few matches of team deathmatch to test the waters this afternoon. Not too many players, but at least the players I was playing with were playing like a team and all using their abilities in a relatively smart way.

Well, my W/L and K/D ratio both went down, poor teamwork and me being impatient are never a good mix.

On a positive note, I did play with Fireclad for a couple of matches. We had a decent team and I think I got MVP in one match!

Spawn Beacon is now at Mark XI!

Marc

Pls add me guys, ErebusMC - UK GAF'er. Would anyone be interested in a UK/Euro GAF party for Killzone? Better suited hours and such.

I haven't played a multiplayer shooter for years apart from a few session spell with Last of Us, which isn't the same obviously. Started off getting my arse kicked, now I am getting 2-6th MVP. Almost got MVP the other day in the forest with Support, was healing, air support and picking off everyone for fun. Probably have more fun with assault but hit or miss whether I do well. Scout I am just terrible at, the one I would want to be good at the most but apart from stealth kills its not good for me. My kill/death ratio is ruined now anyway. haha

Btw, are there any reports of dodgy players? As me and two other guys emptied our clip into a cornered guy before he died. Looked pretty odd.

Baliis

Made the same point earlier in the thread. I find myself constantly putting out spawn points for others as no one else wants to do it. Annoying as it is essential to winning a lot of games

Playing with a bunch of gaffers in 24man warzone last night, I think at one point our team had like 6 spawn beacons out, I was impressed. Beacons absolutely make or break matches though, getting a good one set up or taking out the other teams can drastically change the flow of a fight in seconds.

nOoblet16

Pls add me guys, ErebusMC - UK GAF'er. Would anyone be interested in a UK/Euro GAF party for Killzone? Better suited hours and such.

I haven't played a multiplayer shooter for years apart from a few session spell with Last of Us, which isn't the same obviously. Started off getting my arse kicked, now I am getting 2-6th MVP. Almost got MVP the other day in the forest with Support, was healing, air support and picking off everyone for fun. Probably have more fun with assault but hit or miss whether I do well. Scout I am just terrible at, the one I would want to be good at the most but apart from stealth kills its not good for me. My kill/death ratio is ruined now anyway. haha

Btw, are there any reports of dodgy players? As me and two other guys emptied our clip into a cornered guy before he died. Looked pretty odd.

Added, I am online at random times, but usually it's always evenings.

Man those 24 player warzones run like crap. I play them now and then but hell the maps don't even seem designed to handle them. Seems more like 10v10 MAX. The framerate goes back to that old style bleary, uncomfortable sensation for me anyway. Campaign feels better than MP on 12v12. Things are clearer and not as crazy at least it seems that way.

Ilúvatar;92181916 said:
I don't mind Forest since it is one of the only maps to reliably get Air Drone kills...

I'd say a good half of the maps are solid for air drone kills:

The Park
The Station
The Wall
The Forest
The Remains
The Slums

Warzone is a more reliable mode to put yourself into position to get those air drone kills, but yea even playing TDM those maps are all pretty good for Air Drone kills.

edit: HOLY SHIT. This guy!

https://shadowfall.killzone.com/profile/kinggolem

This is the guy I was babbling about last week when I was babbling about playing with some guy a second time who after a week was above 800 challenges completed. Apparently he's the first Platinum KZer according to the official website.

I couldn't figure out where he found the fucking time then, and I still don't know or understand. 108 hours of KZ already. Goddamn.

MADGAME

Might be old news for some, but I just learned another difference between frags and limpets. The countdown to detonation on a frag starts when you pull the pin, on a limpet it starts when you throw it.

This is the guy I was babbling about last week when I was babbling about playing with some guy a second time who after a week was above 800 challenges completed. Apparently he's the first Platinum KZer according to the official website.

I couldn't figure out where he found the fucking time then, and I still don't know or understand. 108 hours of KZ already. Goddamn.
Damn, that guy is good. Hope I don't run into him when I play.

Speaking of awesome players. Some GAFers and I last night ran into some pro gamers or some shit and they pretty much wrecked us most of the time. Though when someone Googled his name and saw he MLG or something we all felt a little better about getting our asses handed to us. This was the main guy crushing us https://shadowfall.killzone.com/profile/tripleWRECK. Their team was everywhere. It was like they had twice as many people on their side than we did. It was good fun though and we had moments where we all did somehwhat well against them.

Bollocks

Is there no way to quickly see who's on your team?
Both teams get thrown into one big player list

Also love that the turrets are stronger now, unlocking turret stuff was a bitch in KZ3.
Overall I like it though I miss the execution game mode and general public chatter.

ThankeeSai

Holy shit.

How are people consistently THAT good?? Makes my 1.2 k/d and 43% accuracy look pretty abysmal :(

Nipo

Yeah, the guy was crazy good. There was another person called sMile or something like that that was really good too. Just a really well coordinated team that seemed to be everywhere. I think we only won 1 or 2 missions against them.

There is a group of them that run in a pack. Another one is PKYxPiKaChUx who has 7 days played already. I was randomly put on their team the other day in 24 person warzone and it was a slaughter in every match. The 4 or 5 of them were able control the map.

ref

Damn, that guy is good. Hope I don't run into him when I play.

Speaking of awesome players. Some GAFers and I last night ran into some pro gamers or some shit and they pretty much wrecked us most of the time. Though when someone Googled his name and saw he MLG or something we all felt a little better about getting our asses handed to us. This was the main guy crushing us https://shadowfall.killzone.com/profile/tripleWRECK. Their team was everywhere. It was like they had twice as many people on their side than we did. It was good fun though and we had moments where we all did somehwhat well against them.

That guy was just insane. Seriously, that KDR and accuracy, not even sure how that's possible.

We were pretty beaten up over getting decimated those games, until we found out they were professional FPS players.

My 1.88 KDR dropped to I think 1.84 after those 2 games. Not a big deal, but that's a pretty big drop after only 2 games...

There is a group of them that run in a pack. Another one is PKYxPiKaChUx who has 7 days played already. I was randomly put on their team the other day in 24 person warzone and it was a slaughter in every match. The 4 or 5 of them were able control the map.
Holy shit. 7 days already? That's insane. Damn, it would feel pretty awesome to win against that crew.
That guy was just insane. Seriously, that KDR and accuracy, not even sure how that's possible.

We were pretty beaten up over getting decimated those games, until we found out they were professional FPS players.

My 1.88 KDR dropped to I think 1.84 after those games. Not a big deal, but good lord they were good.
Yeah, my KDR definitely took a big hit too. It was already embarrassingly low before that and now it's even worse. Was that Pikachu guy Nipo posted playing with them last night? I don't remember that name. If he was, I feel even better for doing as well as we did against them.

Yopis

Learn to use spawns. There is literally no way to get spawn camped in SF. You have even have a teleport for god sake. :|

Guess no one on my team could use multiple spawns either. Have all of the games in the series so I know how it works. Honestly been playing more of Mercs than Shadowfall sans main story. Maybe I missed something, maybe not, been a long time since Ive played KZ on a console,relax bud.

Grinchy

Banned
Learn to use spawns. There is literally no way to get spawn camped in SF. You have even have a teleport for god sake. :|

I completely disagree. Let's say you are getting spawn camped even though you claim that it's an impossibility. Let's say you equip teleport.

What do you do once you teleport? Take out 1 guy? 2? It's not like you can teleport and then place a spawn point. Teleporting won't stop spawn camping and without mics you can't get the whole team to equip teleport either.

ref

Holy shit. 7 days already? That's insane. Damn, it would feel pretty awesome to win against that crew.

Yeah, my KDR definitely took a big hit too. It was already embarrassingly low before that and now it's even worse. Was that Pikachu guy Nipo posted playing with them last night? I don't remember that name. If he was, I feel even better for doing as well as we did against them.

I don't think he was, but I remember a group of us playing a day or two before came across him on the other team and we won. Not sure if he was alone though or with a group. Felt pretty good!

Kovet

so with bf4 being a laggy buggy crashing mess, i called amazon and asked for a refund. They couldnt honor the refund because i bought bf4 with the launch bundle, so i had to keep it. However, they allowed me to get a free game shipped to me so Killzone is shipping tomorrow.

anyone tell me how the multiplayer runs?

1) Any noticeable lag?
2) Not overflowing with redudant guns?
3) Resolution/Frame Rate
4) Map selection
5) Game modes

Add me on PSN if you wanna play im getting it tmw. PSN ID: TowerBell

Nipo

so with bf4 being a laggy buggy crashing mess, i called amazon and asked for a refund. They couldnt honor the refund because i bought bf4 with the launch bundle, so i had to keep it. However, they allowed me to get a free game shipped to me so Killzone is shipping tomorrow.

1) Any noticeable lag?
3) Resolution/Frame Rate
4) Map selection
5) Game modes

Multiplayer is fun but very different from BF4. Slower paced, more strategic.

1. Lag occurs but not regularly.
2. Certain guns are more common but they did a pretty good job balancing them. The one shot sniper rifle, grenade launcher, and support shot gun are the most common things I see or maybe they are just the most noticeable.
3. "1080p/60fps*" *in reality it doesn't hit 60fps that often. 24 player matches have some pretty significant drops. Classic warzone does the best.
4. I really enjoy the maps. Sure I"m sick of the divide but just because everyone seems to pick it all the time.
5. They've done a pretty good job updating the warzones. Already 2 additions since launch adding in what people were requesting.

Zen

Banned
I don't think that's it. I think it's the reality that Warzone is frustrating as all fuck without reliable in-game chat. It just fucking is. Nothing's more infuriating in this game than wanting to tell your teammates, "hey we need a couple more engineers so we can get some beacons and turrets up to push that objective"...and not being able to. Or seeing that the team has waaay more snipers than are needed but not being able to express that to the team.

TDM is the only option where you can expect everyone to understand how to play it and how to win.

If mic support was built in day 1, Warzone would still be the most popular mode. The fact that it wasn't in 2013 still bothers the fuck out of me.

Well there was basically no in game chat in Killzone 2-3 either.

sunnz

1) Any noticeable lag?
3) Resolution/Frame Rate
4) Map selection
5) Game modes

1: There is noticeable lag, yep. Things like seeing other players sliding/ telephoning around, not too bad since it isn't that common but does happen from time to time.
2: All guns feel unique which I love.
3: Resolution I have no problem with but the FPS is pretty unstable ( or could just be laggy servers...) Sometimes it runs smoothly and it works perfectly, other times it doesn't. I would say on average it runs at like 50 or so fps maybe.
4: So far all maps are great, enjoy all that I have played
5: Warzone is ALL you will EVER need in an FPS, that is all.

I find myself playing as support ( class with the spawn beacons) since no one else seems to play it, which is good since it means when I do put a spawn point down I get a lot of points from the spawns. Love (LOVE) the shotgun, its range and damage is almost perfect I feel, not like the POS KZ2 one.

Recoil isn't all that noticeable sadly, I seem to be able to spray and get a kill quite easily which is a disappointment and I see myself using ADS a lot more than hipfire in KZ SF, (it felt so natural to use in KZ2, SF is just built to use ADS like other FPS) I dislike both of those decisions.
Bullet spread isn't that bad too. These are future guns so in a sense it makes sense, kinda.

Kovet

Multiplayer is fun but very different from BF4. Slower paced, more strategic.

1. Lag occurs but not regularly.
2. Certain guns are more common but they did a pretty good job balancing them. The one shot sniper rifle, grenade launcher, and support shot gun are the most common things I see or maybe they are just the most noticeable.
3. "1080p/60fps*" *in reality it doesn't hit 60fps that often. 24 player matches have some pretty significant drops. Classic warzone does the best.
4. I really enjoy the maps. Sure I"m sick of the divide but just because everyone seems to pick it all the time.
5. They've done a pretty good job updating the warzones. Already 2 additions since launch adding in what people were requesting.

Im a fan of the BF series but 4 doesnt seem to do it for me even when it wasnt a buggy mess. it seems more of like a kill fest and focused to much on the killing rather than objective play like in bc2.

Does KZ have recoil? hip fire?

also how does the server browser work?

Vitanimus

Played a couple more games tonight and starting to get the hang of it more, still trying to adjust my aim for the recoil though. I'm also understanding the importance of spawn beacons a lot more, and placing them in strategic locations has really boosted my score! I haven't even experimented with other guns on the Support role yet, still quite fond of the Pulzer.

Dibbz

I completely disagree. Let's say you are getting spawn camped even though you claim that it's an impossibility. Let's say you equip teleport.

What do you do once you teleport? Take out 1 guy? 2? It's not like you can teleport and then place a spawn point. Teleporting won't stop spawn camping and without mics you can't get the whole team to equip teleport either.

Spawn camping can occur but you team has to have 0 Support class guys for this to happen and even then you could still get out with teleport. Even though teleport only gets you out, at least you can do something other than siting in your base like a lemon.

Every base also has 3-4 exits with at least one "clean" exit that allows you to get out somewhere to get a spawn point down and from their you just keep on moving and putting spawns if your team honestly wants to get out.

The only reason spawn camping occurs in KZSF is because a couple of players on one team know what they are doing and the entire opposition is doing nothing at all to fight back.

Grinchy

Banned
Spawn camping can occur but you team has to have 0 Support class guys for this to happen and even then you could still get out with teleport. Even though teleport only gets you out, at least you can do something other than siting in your base like a lemon.

Every base also has 3-4 exits with at least one "clean" exit that allows you to get out somewhere to get a spawn point down and from their you just keep on moving and putting spawns if your team honestly wants to get out.

The only reason spawn camping occurs in KZSF is because a couple of players on one team know what they are doing and the entire opposition is doing nothing at all to fight back.

Well then now we agree. Spawn camping happens when you're stuck on a team full of morons.

Top Bottom