• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Discussion

Nipo

I don't see a stat counter for abilities and weapons. Unless I'm missing something... :(

If you click the square that says "Assault/Scout/Support abilities" you can go in and see how buddy drone kills, cloak kills, air support kills etc you have and how close you are to the next unlock.

I saw the weapon attachment square (scroll to the right) but after looking at it a bit it is just how many kills you have with various attachments not how close you are to the next one.

I stills like that i can see exactly how many turret and cloak kills i have though.

Also it is fun to see what game types I've never played since none of the official playlists use them. Maybe this weekend we can get a 2 decent sized GAF groups together and play some of the unplayed mission objectives

Vaga

I find the multiplayer very fun so I thought I'd share highlights of my grenade tossing skills, just excuse the erratic movements I drink a lot and sometimes I don't see the enemies quite clearly hehe.

video 1

video 2

EL CUCO

If you click the square that says "Assault/Scout/Support abilities" you can go in and see how buddy drone kills, cloak kills, air support kills etc you have and how close you are to the next unlock.

I saw the weapon attachment square (scroll to the right) but after looking at it a bit it is just how many kills you have with various attachments not how close you are to the next one.

I stills like that i can see exactly how many turret and cloak kills i have though.

Also it is fun to see what game types I've never played since none of the official playlists use them. Maybe this weekend we can get a 2 decent sized GAF groups together and play some of the unplayed mission objectives

Awesome. That's better than nothing. It would be nice if Killzone had an app with all those stats for fast access :)

Marc

Holy shit I am terrible at multiplayer in this game. Any tips for the noobiest noob?

I am very much a noob as well and think I am starting to get a grip with things, some pointers:

- Shoot high and in bursts. Body shots seem to do feck all and you really need to go for the headshots and get that skill down. Firing everything you got just reduces accuracy way too much so do 'finger pumping' hehehe of the trigger. Seems to work better for me, although my accuracy is still pants I hopefully will improve if I keep at it.

- Stick to the crowd or outer edges of them, or use them as your buffer. If you know 5 guys are behind you, you have less to worry about someone coming behind you for the melee. Not always true though, found a lot of team mates couldn't give a fuck and worry more about their own kill/death ratio.

- Try the different classes to see if one works better for you. I vary depending on the map, although I am staying away from scout. It appeals to me the most but I just got steamrolled every time I tried it. I am using the support class more often as you can influence the overall battle more than most. For instance I stick down air support behind some cover close to their base which helps pin them down and then revive teammates to keep the territory with hopefully another support class putting down some spawn beacons. The abilities you choose help a lot. IF you are an assault class, I find the drone is wonderful to get that first shot and pick out a player. I use them to 'see' around corners.

- Take it slow, running in the game means you can't shoot really so run in bursts when you know nothing is coming like down corridors then ease off. The only time to rush in my opinion is when you first start the level to try and get 'the high ground' or territory advantage.

- Get used to the maps and work out choke points with good cover, check the mini-map often to work out where people are. You will see the enemy as well and can get in behind them.

I find the multiplayer very fun so I thought I'd share highlights of my grenade tossing skills, just excuse the erratic movements I drink a lot and sometimes I don't see the enemies quite clearly hehe.

video 1

video 2

Came for a choke-point grenade spamfest and was happy to witness that many melee kills in a row in video 2. I do love that choke-point in Video 1 (I've racked up the kills there myself multiple times). It never ceases to amaze me that a team will keep coming back for more during Team Deathmatch. Why don't people ever cut their losses?

I am going to dropout out of AS4 this evening after witnessing your spastic greatness. What time do ya'll typically get started?

Huggers

Getting the hang of this game more and more. I found the multiplayer hard work at first. But it has suddenly clicked with me. I love 24 player Warzone in the Slums, great map

Is the Valk ACOG attachment glitched for anyone else? It says get kills with the holo scope but it never goes up beyond a certain point. It's still stuck on 18/25.

Vaga

Came for a choke-point grenade spamfest and was happy to witness that many melee kills in a row in video 2. I do love that choke-point in Video 1 (I've racked up the kills there myself multiple times). It never ceases to amaze me that a team will keep coming back for more during Team Deathmatch. Why don't people ever cut their losses?

I am going to dropout out of AS4 this evening after witnessing your spastic greatness. What time do ya'll typically get started?

I'm playing in 10 min, just add Vagabone.

What makes me only slightly mad is that we have to wait for PS5 or later in PS4s life to get reasonable visuals in something like a 24 player warzone at a good framerate.

But 7v7 is actually very fun and so are scrims with good players.

Hey guys, I'm a big COD guy(have Ghosts on 360 and have no plans to get the PS4 version) and I was originally going to get BF4 for ps4 but after all of the huge bugs associated with it, I've been staying away.

So my main question is how is the multiplayer in Shadow Fall compared to a game like COD? Ghosts is probably the first COD game that I've been truly disappointed with, all of the previous ones I've been able to get a good amount of fun out of it.

I never played the previous Killzone multiplayers so I dont know what to expect. I'm planning on getting Killzone SF regardless this xmas but just thought I'd ask the pros in here. Thanks!

GodofWine

Hey guys, I'm a big COD guy(have Ghosts on 360 and have no plans to get the PS4 version) and I was originally going to get BF4 for ps4 but after all of the huge bugs associated with it, I've been staying away.

So my main question is how is the multiplayer in Shadow Fall compared to a game like COD? Ghosts is probably the first COD game that I've been truly disappointed with, all of the previous ones I've been able to get a good amount of fun out of it.

I never played the previous Killzone multiplayers so I dont know what to expect. I'm planning on getting Killzone SF regardless this xmas but just thought I'd ask the pros in here. Thanks!

Slower, heavier,no auto aim, more tactical than CODs sprint shoot die mechanics.

You will not like it at all for a day or two since its harder to aim and all your habits will get you killed, i speak from experience.

Then you will get a feeling for how to play, and it will be a far better experience than COD. The classes and abilites shine in warzone, graphics and sound are great.

Just be ready to be frustrated and say "omg the aiming is so screwed up I hate this game" for a day or three..its not, its the lack of auto aim.

I also suspect once you learn to aim well in KZ, it will make you a sharp shooter in COD.

Huggers

They're definitely pretty different. Call of Duty's arcade rate of movement is the major differentiation. Killzone is more weighty and there is no auto aim which makes a pretty big difference. In Shadow Fall you don't level up like you would in COD. Instead challenges are set for each weapon, class and level. Coming from COD will take some adjustment but give it time and you'll likely enjoy KZ a lot. The dynamic game types in warzone are awesome

Remf

I have been kicking some ass on this game lately. I use support mostly so I can throw out spawn beacons unless there are others on the match that do it, but I have one SERIOUS problem....I need some clan buddies to play with!! It's so damn quiet without voice chat so if anyone is interested, please add me (remf). I live on the east coast, but stay up late most nights.

Huggers

Anyone else having problems tonight online? I'm signed in to PSN but I get an error message in KZ when I try to go online

AlexEfy

Banned
This game needs patching so many dudes just skating around the maps guns floating in the air.

I would love to see reduced muzzle flash and also would like to see a reduction in how much the camera bounces around when you're moving.

I do like the multiplayer but I think it's a little buggy and needs a good patch to iron out some of te kinks

STA_DMAmul

Neo Member
what's up with the online numbers? Last night I think there were only 500 people playing TDM - so low!

Oh and the LS70 is AWESOME. My new favorite weapon!

This game needs patching so many dudes just skating around the maps guns floating in the air.

I would love to see reduced muzzle flash and also would like to see a reduction in how much the camera bounces around when you're moving.

I do like the multiplayer but I think it's a little buggy and needs a good patch to iron out some of te kinks
I think I've been lucky and only seen players skate around rarely and only in a handful of matches. I usually switch to support and get behind the assault lines and try to get my kills indirectly and then leave the warzone when the match ends.

But it has been happening a little more often for me lately...

Cudder

Played a chunk of the multiplayer last night and ehh, it's okay. The maps are way too quiet and static coming from something like BF4. There isn't even background sound/noise from what I remember. Like a lot of people said, just footsteps and gunshots.

How do I search for Warzones and/or play something that isn't on the main page?

CozMick

Banned
what's up with the online numbers? Last night I think there were only 500 people playing TDM - so low!

Oh and the LS70 is AWESOME. My new favorite weapon!

Yeah the player numbers are extremely low, here's hoping the coop expansion has a decent following.

Raymo

Played a chunk of the multiplayer last night and ehh, it's okay. The maps are way too quiet and static coming from something like BF4. There isn't even background sound/noise from what I remember. Like a lot of people said, just footsteps and gunshots.

How do I search for Warzones and/or play something that isn't on the main page?

This is getting fixed in next patch. They are adding more ambient noises. Specifically, "chatter". You will hear the characters shouting "Reloading!", "Shield Up!", and stuff like that. Also, they are adding voice chat.

This is getting fixed in next patch. They are adding more ambient noises. Specifically, "chatter". You will hear the characters shouting "Reloading!", "Shield Up!", and stuff like that. Also, they are adding voice chat.

Man...Killzone 2's propaganda speakers..

GodofWine

Read that as 'Reloading', 'Shut up!'.

Chuckled. :)

CR0

Neo Member
I like to play support. Does anyone know if revived players still count toward the kill total in TDM (and Warzone TDM) play?

I feel like they do and that reviving players in questionable positions (e.g. some guy who has ran too far forward or next to a sentry / turret) can actually HURT my team. Consequently, I've stopped reviving some people if I think they'll just get immediately slaughtered again. Note I'm only talking about TDM modes and I think revives are great for other Warzone modes.

I also wish GG would put in a better kill total tracker. It's hard to tell which team is winning when it's a close TDM match.

Zabant

Just got the ACOG for the PUNT, my god, that was a challenge, here's a tip YOU HAVE to stay zoomed for a good second after you hold for the headshot to register. I was letting go of L2 as soon as I shot, was getting headshots but they weren't counting towards the challenge

Minor gripe, attachments like laser and flashlight should be turned on my default, having to swap weapon and THEN hit L1 every time you respawn is so annoying as I usually pull my pistol out after emptying my main gun's mag as a finisher.

ref

Just got the ACOG for the PUNT, my god, that was a challenge, here's a tip YOU HAVE to stay zoomed for a good second after you hold for the headshot to register. I was letting go of L2 as soon as I shot, was getting headshots but they weren't counting towards the challenge

Minor gripe, attachments like laser and flashlight should be turned on my default, having to swap weapon and THEN hit L1 every time you respawn is so annoying as I usually pull my pistol out after emptying my main gun's mag as a finisher.

Oh.. well that explains a lot. I was getting headshots as well but they weren't registering, so must have been doing that.

Also going to try and get a party going after I finish eating if there isn't one up already.

MADGAME

Thanks, was wondering why they weren't registering. Will try this.

I like to play support. Does anyone know if revived players still count toward the kill total in TDM (and Warzone TDM) play?

I feel like they do and that reviving players in questionable positions (e.g. some guy who has ran too far forward or next to a sentry / turret) can actually HURT my team. Consequently, I've stopped reviving some people if I think they'll just get immediately slaughtered again. Note I'm only talking about TDM modes and I think revives are great for other Warzone .

I was under the impression (false) that revives negated the death. if not I need to change the way I play TDM.

CR0

Neo Member
I was under the impression (false) that revives negated the death. if not I need to change the way I play TDM.

Yeah, I honestly don't know.

I've found myself in situations reviving multiple guys who keep dying quickly and the enemy kill tracker keeps going up at a very fast rate.

I was hoping someone knew for certain. I think your ammo and grenades refresh after a revive, so that strengthens my fear it's counted as a death.

GodofWine

I didnt think they negated a death?

If you revive a guy in a bad position, they dont have to accept it. I think you get points regardless though.

I had a bunch of teammates during the tdm portion of warzone that kept using a spawn beacon that was in a room with enemy turrets and a dude with a gatling gun..IF I HAD TEAM CHAT...Id have yelled at those fools to spawn back at base...we got slaughtered.

Dibbz

Love the flashlight in this. Wonder what the laser sight looks like when it's pointed at you.

iyeOvIGPy7xcN.gif

CR0

Neo Member
I didnt think they negated a death?

If you revive a guy in a bad position, they dont have to accept it. I think you get points regardless though.

I had a bunch of teammates during the tdm portion of warzone that kept using a spawn beacon that was in a room with enemy turrets and a dude with a gatling gun..IF I HAD TEAM CHAT...Id have yelled at those fools to spawn back at base...we got slaughtered.

The support guy gets points regardless. But if you REVIVE someone, wouldn't it make sense that their death doesn't count? I think that's the intuitive response.

GG should make it more clear how revives work in TDM. Since the gameplay is so team work focused, hurting your team with revives is poor design in my opinion. I was unintentionally doing it at first.

Zabant

Love the flashlight in this. Wonder what the laser sight looks like when it's pointed at you.

iyeOvIGPy7xcN.gif

pretty much as you would expect.

That gif is a perfect example of the OTT muzzle flash in this game, sometimes it's hard to keep track of targets

Yeah the player numbers are extremely low, here's hoping the coop expansion has a decent following.

I'd assume that whatever numbers we see the day after Christmas are going to be the highest numbers we ever see. here's hoping there are a whoooole bunch of copies under Christmas trees, because small communities tend to not last too long.

Should i use incendiary rounds or the flashlight with the Sickle? I know getting hit with incendiary rounds puts a fire effect on you screen, which is good for disorienting an opponent, but does it also do damage over time? I usually one shot dudes with the shotgun so I don't know if I need a DoT. How effective is the flashlight at distracting an enemy? The gif above shows the flashlight (shotgun) losing to an ACOG sniper rifle at mid range (to be expected if that gun was a shotgun, can't really tell in my iPhone), but I think maybe the flashlight might be better for flanking/room clearing.

Bollocks

Anyone else get the problem that the triggers don't respond with the sickle or pistols?
It's totally arbitrary, sometimes I can line up shots just fine, other times I press the trigger and nothing happens after the first shot.
It's almost like they overheat.

Anyone else get the problem that the triggers don't respond with the sickle or pistols?
It's totally arbitrary, sometimes I can line up shots just fine, other times I press the trigger and nothing happens after the first shot.
It's almost like they overheat.

Hmm, haven't experienced this. Maybe the guns have a slower rate of fire? If you're mashing on the trigger to fire you might be too fast for the gun. But you said it had been fine sometimes, so maybe controller issue? Have the triggers been sticking for you? I notice some guns have an animation where the barrels glow red and you see some smoke; maybe there is an overheat mechanic? I'm at work now so I can't check.

Should i use incendiary rounds or the flashlight with the Sickle? I know getting hit with incendiary rounds puts a fire effect on you screen, which is good for disorienting an opponent, but does it also do damage over time? I usually one shot dudes with the shotgun so I don't know if I need a DoT. How effective is the flashlight at distracting an enemy? The gif above shows the flashlight (shotgun) losing to an ACOG sniper rifle at mid range (to be expected if that gun was a shotgun, can't really tell in my iPhone), but I think maybe the flashlight might be better for flanking/room clearing.

Either works, really. results will be similar over the course of a match since types of engagements vary from moment to moment. I'd lean to Incendiary rounds with my vote.

That said, there are stronger Support weapons. Shotty is okay but i feel like it's a bit too inconsistent.

X-Frame

I completed the challenge for both the Incendiary & Flashlight on the Sickle, and since then I've stuck with the Flashlight.

The Incendiary Rounds are nice, and certainly do DoT, but at the cost of reduced up-front damage, so 1-shorting enemies isn't as likely that way, and will open you up to getting killed easier. Sure, you may kill them with the DoT, but you'll be dead. I also noticed that with Incendiary active, the shotgun is more effective from slightly longer ranges than usual.

With the Flashlight, you retain the massive stopping power, but with the added bonus of potentially disorienting and blinding them.

I suppose it's your personal preference, but with Incendiary I was dying way too often with shots that would have just outright killed the enemy with regular rounds, which is why I don't find them particularly effective.

Either works, really. results will be similar over the course of a match since types of engagements vary from moment to moment. I'd lean to Incendiary rounds with my vote.

That said, there are stronger Support weapons. Shotty is okay but i feel like it's a bit too inconsistent.

I completed the challenge for both the Incendiary & Flashlight on the Sickle, and since then I've stuck with the Flashlight.

The Incendiary Rounds are nice, and certainly do DoT, but at the cost of reduced up-front damage, so 1-shorting enemies isn't as likely that way, and will open you up to getting killed easier. Sure, you may kill them with the DoT, but you'll be dead. I also noticed that with Incendiary active, the shotgun is more effective from slightly longer ranges than usual.

With the Flashlight, you retain the massive stopping power, but with the added bonus of potentially disorienting and blinding them.

I suppose it's your personal preference, but with Incendiary I was dying way too often with shots that would have just outright killed the enemy with regular rounds, which is why I don't find them particularly effective.

Thanks for the opinions, guys!

I'll try both out for a bit, but maybe will go with the flashlight, seems more my style (full damage + distracting). Interesting to hear that the incendiary rounds extend effective range (even if just a bit). And yeah, sometimes the Sickle feels inconsistent; once in a while my shots don't seem to register. I wish there was more visual feedback when hitting someone with it, maybe more blood splatter.

Edit- just had a thought; incendiary rounds might go well with turret or air drone. DoT with the shotgun then have turret or drone finish them off.

Top Bottom