• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Discussion

What the hell happened to this game?

Every match I join now, its either a few seconds before the end on the losing side or else its a spawn-camping nightmare.

Team deathmatch is already just a race to see which team can set up the spawn camp first, but even the regular warzones, large and small are all about the sprinting to those chokepoints and holding the fort against the other team's spawn, with the objectives a secondary concern.

Any fun I used to have is rapidly dwindling. My last match was Forest as ISA and you can't just say "well spawn as a tactician". I couldn't get anywhere near the map proper - it was just a hail of suppression and sniper fire. That shit will destroy the populations more than any bug could.

I honestly am finding the opposite.

Noticing more and more spawn beacons, placed around objectives, with a tight focus on revives and solid, solid teamwork.

Search and Destroy is awesome with this.

Played a 24 player Warzone where we were down by 2. Thought to myself, "Damn team sucks!"

But somehow, we got our heads together. It was the Spire map. I place a spawn beacon on the very top bridge that overlooks A and B. Getting mad spawn assists, and notice 2 more beacons go up. We are absolutely dominating the upper area, overlooking the bomb sites. It was amazingly tight teamwork. Whole team is up there, reviving each other, placing shields and turrets where the enemy would come from. It was so joyful to see.

Said it before: the abilities works well for teamwork. Assault shields and scout echo spotting may be inherently selfish, but they benefit the entire team, and I sure as hell am certain that players drop shields and echo spotting for the sake of the team.

Even without mics, it's just so rare to see a game where complete strangers can and do work together in a silent hivemind.

MAG made me feel that, as does Last of Us and Bad Company 2. I just don't feel it with Battlefield 4, and think GG did a damn good job focusing the gameplay.

Not sure what to say about your Forest experience. Was it TDM? If not, did you play the match from the start or were you thrown in? Maybe you were up against an entire party. If that's the case, I can't see how it's the game's fault. I genuinely do think that part of the meta-game is ensuring that your team is placing spawns from the get-go. If the enemy team decides to destroy those spawns and push you guys back to your base, and keep you there, then they've done one hell of a job.

Is there a reason literally 50% of the matches I play are on "The Park"? Like a preferred map setting hidden away somewhere that defaults to it or something? Cause seriously, I like that map but I get it waaaaayyy too often.

Is there a reason literally 50% of the matches I play are on "The Park"? Like a preferred map setting hidden away somewhere that defaults to it or something> Cause seriously, I like that map but I get it waaaaayyy too often.

Yeah, they need to restrict map voting to 2-3 choices at a time.

Are you guys still on? May want to hop on..

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is there a reason literally 50% of the matches I play are on "The Park"? Like a preferred map setting hidden away somewhere that defaults to it or something> Cause seriously, I like that map but I get it waaaaayyy too often.

I've only seen The Factory twice. The first time was launch weekend and it ended in a loss seconds after I spawned. This afternoon was the first match I played on it.

I honestly am finding the opposite.
Maybe I'm just having a string of bad luck this weekend.

Talked a friend into picking up a copy and this has been literally every match we've been in. It just saps any enjoyment when every match is a fight just to get out of the spawn - *if* you can get out of the spawn.

We were on The Wall and the opposite team literally controlled every possible avenue with barriers and turrets and air sentries and shotgun support. On Park like I mentioned we couldn't even step five feet out of the spawn before a hail of bullets greeted us - there was literally no way past it so we had to quit out.

Just seems like its becoming a lot more common in my matchups and really shows the game at its worst. The camped team ends up rage quitting bit by bit only to have those slots replaced with new players via matchmaking that get tossed into the meat-grinder, who then quit, etc.

It may be fun for the winning team (I've been on both sides) but I do think it'll kill the population, what little there seems to be of one.

Edit: And yeah, these are mid-match joins, but after a match where I never end up moving far beyond the spawn I don't really want to stick to the same server. SO I bounce out and end up in another warzone's spawn trap. Its a vicious cycle ;P

Grinchy

Banned
I've only seen The Factory twice. The first time was launch weekend and it ended in a loss seconds after I spawned. This afternoon was the first match I played on it.

I find that I have to stay in a single room for a long time to get all the maps played. There seems to always been just enough guys staying in the same room with me who will vote for maps that haven't been played yet.

But, there's always that long, tedious slog in the beginning when everyone wants to play the stupid forest level or the remains over and over again.

Every match I join now, its either a few seconds before the end on the losing side or else its a spawn-camping nightmare.

Team deathmatch is already just a race to see which team can set up the spawn camp first, but even the regular warzones, large and small are all about the sprinting to those chokepoints and holding the fort against the other team's spawn, with the objectives a secondary concern.

Any fun I used to have is rapidly dwindling. My last match was Forest as ISA and you can't just say "well spawn as a tactician". I couldn't get anywhere near the map proper - it was just a hail of suppression and sniper fire. That shit will destroy the populations more than any bug could.

sounds like what happened with KZ2, but KZ2 had to be turned into that

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I'm finding it really hard to level up the buddy drone. It's really hard to get any kills with it.

That sounds like the ebb and flow of a team based multiplayer shooter... especially with no voice chat. I've had my fair share of good, competitive games and complete clusterfuck with spawn camping and all. Lately though, I've actually had a lot good games. Like someone pointed out above, I've been seeing more games where people are starting to use the Scout and Support class and actually start helping the team.

I think everything is balanced incredible well except for the air support drones. Those things are ridiculous, especially when you have a team that a whole crap ton them just outside your spawn. Not being able to communicate with your team just makes the issue worse, too. I've kind of been hesitant to think about restricting the active number but I think two per team would be plenty. Having three can be pretty terrible.

I gotta say though, the maps are really fantastic. The only one I have an issue with is The Wall, which can be a pain in the ass sometimes, but they are all really well design and balanced. I also like the Bilgarsk Boulevard map from Killzone 3 returning in a slightly modified way in The Remains map. I wasn't a big fan of the Killzone 3 maps but I didn't mind that.

Grinchy

Banned
I've given up on even trying to kill drones and turrets. Absolutely ridiculous.

Even with the rockets, it's annoying when like 4 people on the other team are using them. I've had matches where I've taken out 25+ air bots. I saw more of then than people, and it's always on the damn Forest.

ref

I'm finding it really hard to level up the buddy drone. It's really hard to get any kills with it.

It is really hard. Took me 3 days of parties with GAF to get the 300 kills.

If there's someone in front of you, drop a shield and just stand there. Also, shoot with pistol once or twice, and pray your buddy drone decides to shoot to finish. That's basically all you can do.

Another great time with Killzone GAF today! The party chat I created lasted for over 7 hours! I did have to hop out for a couple hours to get lunch, but was able to rejoin in the end. Got a couple MVP matches and earned the Support King playercard. A big GG to everyone I played with!

Also, Turret King is best mode.

And I noticed that you get more points from Spawn Beacons now. I took a look at the official site and found this:

http://www.killzone.com/en_US/blog/news/2013-12-06_killzone-shadow-fall-weekend-roundup.html
Now that Killzone Shadow Fall is out in North America and Europe, we’re going to post regular Friday-afternoon updates on the changes and additions we’ve made to the multiplayer mode throughout the week, so you’ll know what to look out for in the upcoming weekend.
Player of the Week
This week we are proud to announce DayLife as the new Player of the Week. A US Navy Petty Officer in his daily life, DayLife’s frequent Shadow Fall gameplay streams on Twitch have become quite popular with some of Guerrilla’s developers. Not just because of his playing style, but also because he’s actively answering a lot of questions to the followers on his stream. We salute you, DayLife!

Featured Warzones
Our designers have hand-picked several new user-created Warzones for you to try out this weekend (click on the Warzone names for details):
Classic Warzone Pro by KIever_Logik
Kill or be Killed by NiiteMare05
Online Botzone by MidknightMaraudr
Say hello to My Little Friend! New by onechance4u
Side Arms & Explosives by Em_Effer

Also, Guerrilla managing director Hermen Hulst has created a brutal shotguns-and-pistols Warzone for the Penthouse map, aptly titled ‘Like A Boss’. Check out its details here, and give it a spin online – you may just run into the head honcho himself.

Server-Side Fixes
Many fixes that would have required a patch in previous games can now be corrected on the server side in Killzone Shadow Fall. This allows us to respond to feedback and bug reports from the community more quickly, and to roll out certain fixes without requiring players to download a new patch.

Here are some of the fixes we’ve applied this week:
Various collision/out-of-level exploits in multiplayer mode are now blocked.
Team balancing logic for matchmaking has been updated.
The awarded XP for Supply Box Assists has been increased from 10 to 25.
The awarded XP for Spawn Beacon Assists has been increased from 25 to 75.
Bug where players could lose all their points on a Warzone has been fixed.
The server now sends a message for moderated Warzones on round roll-over.
Minor connection issues have been fixed.

That’s all for our first roundup. Have fun with the new Warzones, and let us know what you think of the server-side fixes. Remember to check back next Friday for another Weekend Roundup!

It's nice to see that Guerilla is actively improving the game, little by little. Encouraging spawn beacon usage is always good, but I hope to see voice chat soon.

X-Frame

Also, Turret King is best mode.

And I noticed that you get more points from Spawn Beacons now. I took a look at the official site and found this:

What is Turret King?

And yeah, I noticed that they bumped up the points for spawn points yesterday, thought I was seeing things for a few minutes. I agree with what they did, anything to help encourage both spawn beacons and supply boxes right now.

What is Turret King?

And yeah, I noticed that they bumped up the points for spawn points yesterday, thought I was seeing things for a few minutes. I agree with what they did, anything to help encourage both spawn beacons and supply boxes right now.

Turret King is a secret gametype for GAF Gold members.

A bunch of us jockey to place our turrets in the same spot. It's pretty funny, especially when we let each other die and not revive anyone so we can construct our turrets first. We basically got bored of steamrolling the other team so we started messing around.

Nipo

Even with the rockets, it's annoying when like 4 people on the other team are using them. I've had matches where I've taken out 25+ air bots. I saw more of then than people, and it's always on the damn Forest.

I blame GG for that one. Requiring 300 air drone kills for a trophy and there are only a few good maps to get them (forest being the best). I promise once I get them I'll stop spamming the damn things.

Nipo

I need them too. If we can get a couple other people I'd be up for a game of buddy drone and melee only. Already have a custom warzone made up we can play on. Previous matches with it were pretty fun.

Ilúvatar

I need them too. If we can get a couple other people I'd be up for a game of buddy drone and melee only. Already have a custom warzone made up we can play on. Previous matches with it were pretty fun.

I have a couple warzones to this effect made up as well, would be interested in playing with you.

PSN: tolkienfanatic

Gator86

This essentially made me give up on the game and move to bf4. I'll give this another if they fix this idiocy. Every match is nothing but bot spam.

Maybe I'm just having a string of bad luck this weekend.

Talked a friend into picking up a copy and this has been literally every match we've been in. It just saps any enjoyment when every match is a fight just to get out of the spawn - *if* you can get out of the spawn.

We were on The Wall and the opposite team literally controlled every possible avenue with barriers and turrets and air sentries and shotgun support. On Park like I mentioned we couldn't even step five feet out of the spawn before a hail of bullets greeted us - there was literally no way past it so we had to quit out.

Just seems like its becoming a lot more common in my matchups and really shows the game at its worst. The camped team ends up rage quitting bit by bit only to have those slots replaced with new players via matchmaking that get tossed into the meat-grinder, who then quit, etc.

It may be fun for the winning team (I've been on both sides) but I do think it'll kill the population, what little there seems to be of one.

Edit: And yeah, these are mid-match joins, but after a match where I never end up moving far beyond the spawn I don't really want to stick to the same server. SO I bounce out and end up in another warzone's spawn trap. Its a vicious cycle ;P
No, this is all pretty standard and I was talking about it a couple of weeks ago. Once you start playing with more experienced players, this is what happens in most matches. TDM most especially.

meppi

For some reason I sometimes need to shoot two rockets at a Drone/Turret to kill it. This happen to anyone else?

I've had this happen as well. No idea why though. Most of the time they do blow up in one hit. Perhaps they can be powered up somewhat?

torontoml

Anyone know if there is something special about the 3.5mm cord that comes with the Pulse Elite Headset? My cat chewed mine up, so I went and bought a 3.5mm cable to replace it, but my mic didn't work when I joined Kilgore's party today and I'm wondering if it was because of my replacement cable.

Grinchy

Banned
I blame GG for that one. Requiring 300 air drone kills for a trophy and there are only a few good maps to get them (forest being the best). I promise once I get them I'll stop spamming the damn things.

I definitely agree. And I use them too lol

For some reason I sometimes need to shoot two rockets at a Drone/Turret to kill it. This happen to anyone else?

I notice sometimes (pretty much always in the forest) that my rocket will hit a branch or a ladybug or some small thing that can't be avoided in the air that's immediately next to an air bot, so the air bot doesn't take the damage.

Jordoon

Yeah that's happened to me to. But I actually have had to shoot two clear-shot rockets at drones in The Park. About 5 or 6 times. Might be my internet, but I didn't notice any lag at the time.

Dibbz

Yeah that's happened to me to. But I actually have had to shoot two clear-shot rockets at drones in The Park. About 5 or 6 times. Might be my internet, but I didn't notice any lag at the time.

I've had that happen a few times. I just assumed that the drone was leveled up but maybe it was lag. I'm not sure.

Been trying to unlock some of the attachments and have had lots of fun playing custom warzones like Pistol only etc to get it done. My favourite pistol has got to be the Ripper. Shame it is an assault class weapon, the burst fire you unlock is hot.

A nice moment I captured today. Wish every kill looked this good.

itPi8CSoxISuf.gif

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Played TDM for a while tonight to grind out some challenges. Holy shit does that mode do a disservice to this game. Terrible framerate, clusterfucks everywhere, and zero teamwork. Game is amazing in Classic Warzone but completely sucks in TDM.

I've had that happen a few times. I just assumed that the drone was leveled up but maybe it was lag. I'm not sure.

Been trying to unlock some of the attachments and have had lots of fun playing custom warzones like Pistol only etc to get it done. My favourite pistol has got to be the Ripper. Shame it is an assault class weapon, the burst fire you unlock is hot.

A nice moment I captured today. Wish every kill looked this good.

itPi8CSoxISuf.gif

This looks awesome.

What button scheme is everyone using, Shadow Fall (ADS and Fire on L2/R2) or Classic (ADS and Fire on L1/R1)?

I use Classic, since I've used it that way for years on the PS3. But I'm starting to get a sticky R1 button, even though I took it off and cleaned the insides of it. Is this happening to anyone else? It only happens in intense situations when I have to fire a lot of bullets. I'll clean it again, but how are the triggers? I ought to give them a try.

EekTheKat

Urgh, I need to get people to click my supply box 121 times lol

I *think* on a lucky game I get about 3-4 clicks. Occasionally I did get someone who seems like they realized why I dropped a supply box so they took some time to spam click it.

Buddy Drone is my second worst skill at the moment, but it seems like I can finish that one if I just play normally.

Guys I find myself shooting someone in their head only for the bullet to go through them and hit the wall behind them without it registering a hit. Anyone else have similar experiences?

Baliis

Urgh, I need to get people to click my supply box 121 times lol

I *think* on a lucky game I get about 3-4 clicks. Occasionally I did get someone who seems like they realized why I dropped a supply box so they took some time to spam click it.

Buddy Drone is my second worst skill at the moment, but it seems like I can finish that one if I just play normally.

Supply box, you just need to end up in a 7-0 match with a bunch of gaffers and spam them. Hopefully they fix them a bit.

Paertan

Is this why I suddenly get stuck with the worst of the worst from previous round?!
The games I played this weekend by myself most often ended with a scoreboard that looked something like

1. Me
2 Opposite team
3 Opposite team
4 Opposite team
5 Opposite team
6 My teammate
7 Opposite team

And we lost. Got really frustrated. I am good by I can't carry the entire team every game! I need to find some good Swedes to play with =/

Is this why I suddenly get stuck with the worst of the worst from previous round?!
The games I played this weekend by myself most often ended with a scoreboard that looked something like

1. Me
2 Opposite team
3 Opposite team
4 Opposite team
5 Opposite team
6 My teammate
7 Opposite team

And we lost. Got really frustrated. I am good by I can't carry the entire team every game! I need to find some good Swedes to play with =/

now you are just bragging lol

what class do you play??

Top Bottom