• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Discussion

Baliis

Wow, I should have stayed up later with you guys lol. I got off after that match on the Divide when you guys were first trying, looks like I missed out on all the fun.

velociraptor

Finally got my PS4.

Jumped straight into Killzone SF MP.

First impressions:

- Holy shit. The IQ. It's awful. The game is running in 1080p yet the image quality looks worse than Killzone 3 on the PS3! Guerrilla Games, please do not ever use FXAA again. It looks like straight garbage.

- Holy shit. The framerate. It's better than I expected. The MP feels very, very smooth.

- Dualshock 4 took some time getting used to, but I like it. I like it a lot.

- Gameplay is fantastic. Honestly, I'm in love. Gunplay feels tight. Controls are tight. Level design is great (although there don't seem to be many maps?). The close-quarters combat Killzone is known for is ever present.

I haven't touched the SP yet but I can see myself putting many hours in the MP. I honestly am in love with this game. Killzone 2 was one of the best MP experiences ever and this looks to be no different.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Oh man, Drone Rodeo sounds like a blast. I wish I hadn't missed that.

Finally got my PS4.

First impressions:

- Holy shit. The IQ. It's awful. The game is running in 1080p yet the image quality looks worse than Killzone 3 on the PS3! Guerrilla Games, please do not ever use FXAA again. It looks like straight garbage.

- Holy shit. The framerate. It's better than I expected. The MP feels very, very smooth.

- Gameplay is fantastic. Honestly, I'm in love. Gunplay feels tight. Controls are tight. Level design is great (although there don't seem to be many maps?). The close-quarters combat Killzone is known for is ever present.

I haven't touched the SP yet but I can see myself putting many hours in the MP. I honestly am in love with this game. Killzone 2 was one of the best MP experiences ever and this looks to be no different.

MP is really awesome and yes, I hope that the AA is patched soon. I never got a chance to play KZ2 online since PSN didn't work with my college's network but I'm really enjoying this. Didn't like KZ3's MP at all.

shinn623

Wow, the Killzone official facebook page just posted about Drone Rodeo by NeoGAF !!!

Looks like I got off a bit too early last night. At least I can say I was there when it first started :)

Edit: Possible idea, the hardcore version of drone rodeo. How about trying to ride the opposing team's drone?

8byte

Banned
Played with the GAF crew yesterday and...holy crap it was so fun. Me and my roommate were trading back and forth, but I was having a blast.

Gonna stream next time, hope to get my Yeti hooked up, maybe get some decent viewership. Does anyone know if there's a way to pipe party chat through the stream so the viewers can hear everyone?

velociraptor

Oh man, Drone Rodeo sounds like a blast. I wish I hadn't missed that.

MP is really awesome and yes, I hope that the AA is patched soon. I never got a chance to play KZ2 online since PSN didn't work with my college's network but I'm really enjoying this. Didn't like KZ3's MP at all.
I tried COD Ghosts to see how it compared and the IQ in that game is really sharp. It's pristine; just like you would expect from a 1080p game. KZ's MP looks so disappointing. It doesn't even look 1080p; the image is characteristic of a sub HD game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I tried COD Ghosts to see how it compared and the IQ in that game is really sharp. It's pristine; just like you would expect from a 1080p game. KZ's MP looks so disappointing. It doesn't even look 1080p; the image is characteristic of a sub HD game.
BF4 is a lower res and also using FXAA but it looks sharper than SF's MP. Crazy. CAmpaign looks glorious though.

Paertan

Played a litte more tonight. Went a little better since I played a few games with people on my friends list. But there was a couple of these
I0GIgNul.jpg

Weird bug I found btw. Sometimes when you take screenshots. Instead of the game showing it shows the PS4 menu. Mostly during Scoreboard when next map is loading. Took three screenshots like this above but you only see the menu :/

X-Frame

I take back everything I said about the Stun Drone not being worth it, it is VERY good, and great for somewhat of an "Assault Scout", going for objectives and constantly having the Stun Drone patrol areas to stun enemies getting close, plus of course constantly tagging enemies for your teammates.

Unfortunately, only the Spoor seems to be a decent match for at play style as I'm up close a lot, and that gun is terrible. Not very effective bringing a sniper or the single-shot rifles in the same area as shotguns and mini guns.

torontoml

Somehow I finally ran into my first opposing team that was almost entirely a party. Sucks balls playing against organized people could barely get out of our spawn on the spire, and any beacon I was able to get down was almost immediately destroyed.

STA_DMAmul

Neo Member
Finally got my PS4.

First impressions:

What's wrong with the IQ in multiplayer? I've noticed a bit of a haze in some maps (forest) but besides that it looks pretty good. I thought they weren't using FXAA..?

I take back everything I said about the Stun Drone not being worth it, it is VERY good, and great for somewhat of an "Assault Scout", going for objectives and constantly having the Stun Drone patrol areas to stun enemies getting close, plus of course constantly tagging enemies for your teammates.

Unfortunately, only the Spoor seems to be a decent match for at play style as I'm up close a lot, and that gun is terrible. Not very effective bringing a sniper or the single-shot rifles in the same area as shotguns and mini guns.

And I can't decide if it's the map design or the guns that are the issue. The spoor is definitely underpowered, and I think a slight RoF or damage buff can fix that.

The scout class is built around non-engagement, or at least gaining upperhands via stuns, invisibility, and scan tagging, but the maps themselves don't help in that, and the abilities like invisibility sometimes feel clunky to me.

Have you tried using silencers by the way? I imagine they'd help a whole lot in terms of improving the Scout's chances at killing enemies, but I wonder if it has drawbacks to stopping power over distance or anything.

test_account

XP-39C²
I have no problem with the image quality either. I use a 40" LCD TV if that matters.

I really like this game. Bringing back the points is great. That was my main complaint about Killzone 3, that there werent any portable spawn points.

EDIT: I also have to give credits for the way the maps load. The maps load while you get to check out the last rounds result.

I cannot believe I still have not played the MP in this.

Been too busy with BF and COD MP. I gotta give this a go.

The question is, am I going to get thrashed starting now late or is this game new player friendly?

Gaf, would one of you kindly outline the 4 new Warzone objectives, particularly the beacon-related ones? They can get a bit lost in the maelstrom of shootbang.

Cheers!

Gaf, would one of you kindly outline the 4 new Warzone objectives, particularly the beacon-related ones? They can get a bit lost in the maelstrom of shootbang.

Cheers!

Search and Destroy = COD Sabotage.
Beacon Capture = Capture the flag.
Domination = COD Domination.
Bodycount = Team Death Match.

torontoml

Both? Ha. Thanks, dude.
Search and destroy is the same in both, detonate or defend the bombs depending on if you are attacking or defending.

Beacon retrieval - classic - get the beacon and deliver it to the opposing teams side of the map.

Beacon retrieval - 24-player - have to steal the opposing teams beacon and bring it back to your side, but your team has to have possession of your beacon before you can return theirs. (hopefully that makes sense)

Capture and hold - classic - capture and hold the designated areas until the meter fills up.

Capture and hold - 24-player - capture the designated area, when you control that one the next one will show up, capture that one while holding the previous area to move on again. If you are trying to capture D let's say, but they capture C, you will not be able to get D anymore and will have to get back C while trying to prevent them from capturing B. (again hope that makes sense)

Team Deathmatch is as stated for both. (actually I don't think 24-player has TDM)

Search and destroy is the same in both, detonate or defend the bombs depending on if you are attacking or defending.

Beacon retrieval - classic - get the beacon and deliver it to the opposing teams side of the map.

Beacon retrieval - 24-player - have to steal the opposing teams beacon and bring it back to your side, but your team has to have possession of your beacon before you can return theirs. (hopefully that makes sense)

Capture and hold - classic - capture and hold the designated areas until the meter fills up.

Capture and hold - 24-player - capture the designated area, when you control that one the next one will show up, capture that one while holding the previous area to move on again. If you are trying to capture D let's say, but they capture C, you will not be able to get D anymore and will have to get back C while trying to prevent them from capturing B. (again hope that makes sense)

Team Deathmatch is as stated for both. (actually I don't think 24-player has TDM)

All good! Many thanks for that, torontoml.

So, why the Classic and 24 separation? They're both 24 players, aren't they? Purely for variety's sake?

GodofWine

Wow, the Killzone official facebook page just posted about Drone Rodeo by NeoGAF !!!

That cracked me up...stupid shit likes this makes me wish I was able to spend more than a few hours SINCE LAUNCH actually playing the game...screw you life and all your exhausting responsibility!!!!

VanWinkle

I'm continuously annoyed that only about 4 warzones are active at any given time, team deathmatch - one of the most popular warzones - scores by round instead of kills, making the scoreboard stupid and useless, and that I simply cannot view my kills and deaths in a match (can't even view deaths post-match). Those are just constant frustrations.

That cracked me up...stupid shit likes this makes me wish I was able to spend more than a few hours SINCE LAUNCH actually playing the game...screw you life and all your exhausting responsibility!!!!

Same here, been swamped with work and going on a holiday next week...so barely got time to play the mp. :/

and that I simply cannot view my kills and deaths in a match. Those are just constant frustrations.

Ha. I noticed this, too. Pre-CoD, this is something that I would appreciate massively, so I guess we should give kudos to GG for bucking the trend, but ultimately it's a bit annoying.

8byte

Banned
I'm continuously annoyed that only about 4 warzones are active at any given time, team deathmatch - one of the most popular warzones - scores by round instead of kills, making the scoreboard stupid and useless, and that I simply cannot view my kills and deaths in a match (can't even view deaths post-match). Those are just constant frustrations.

I'm glad that they put more emphasis on XP and objectives, as opposed to kills and deaths. Unfortunately, that hasn't prevented people from simply playing "TDM" on Warzone game types.

KDR is stupid, and I hate whoever introduced it to shooters.

X-Frame

And I can't decide if it's the map design or the guns that are the issue. The spoor is definitely underpowered, and I think a slight RoF or damage buff can fix that.

The scout class is built around non-engagement, or at least gaining upperhands via stuns, invisibility, and scan tagging, but the maps themselves don't help in that, and the abilities like invisibility sometimes feel clunky to me.

Have you tried using silencers by the way? I imagine they'd help a whole lot in terms of improving the Scout's chances at killing enemies, but I wonder if it has drawbacks to stopping power over distance or anything.

I just started using the Scout for any length of time today, so I'm not really the best person to weigh in on the class yet, and just unlocked the silencers today too but I'll report back soon how they are. There isn't anything in their description about reducing damage like in most games, so possibly there is no drawback -- that'd be a first.

But as far as what I've noticed playing with/against Scouts, they're definitely the weakest and least relevant in Warzone when played like you described, non-engagement or tipping the balance in their favor for 1v1 engagements, but for the most part 1v1 isn't that important in Warzone matches.

There just isn't that much benefit for a Scout running around invisible with their knife out to knife 1 guy then be exposed. There is greater benefit in NOT engaging anything or anyone when cloaked, but rather to plant/diffuse bombs while invisible, or carry the beacon invisibly, or just to get around the map invisibly and safely then quickly switch back to your weapon.

There also isn't any noticeable benefit to their weapons outside of the big one-shot-kill sniper, and even then it's situational. Assault's have full-auto AR's that can snipe from across the map if needed, same with the Support's Stova or Pulver. The Spoor just seems like it has the drawbacks of most weapons without any of the benefits.

Instead, take the Scout into the meat grinder and release Stun Drone after Stun Drone, keep enemies disoriented and tagged constantly, place C4/trip-mines and taser people (then run in for the brutal melee) and they can be a great help at objectives, arguably more valuable that way than if they were to stay back and long-range.

I'm sure my opinion of them will change as I play with them more often though. These are just my initial impressions as someone who never really has been a non-engagement type of player. I am ALWAYS the guy running face first at objectives.

I would say no gun is underpowered. I thought the Spoor was underpowered intially, but you've gotta learn the quirks. It's pretty much like this with many guns in the game. There's an hour learning curve, and then it clicks.

Sniping? Better charge that fucker up for the 1 hit kill.

Running and gunning? Deactivate the charging.

The only gun I can say is really underpowered is the Vlug. I don't know why anyone would choose it over the Valk.

VanWinkle

I'm glad that they put more emphasis on XP and objectives, as opposed to kills and deaths. Unfortunately, that hasn't prevented people from simply playing "TDM" on Warzone game types.

Why is it wrong to know how many kills and deaths you got? Are you not a big fan of information? And there is a TEAM DEATHMATCH WARZONE. That's all it is. Should we not know base deathmatch on who gets the most kills?

That have kills, deaths, and KDR on our scorecards. They should keep it consistent and let us know our kills and deaths in a match. At LEAST in Deathmatch.

Nipo

Why is it wrong to know how many kills and deaths you got?

The information isn't the problem. The problem is when you make it viewable people try to improve it to the detriment of the objectives and the rest of their team. The me first behavior is rampant in CoD and ruins pretty much any enjoyment I get out of it. If you can let people know their KDR without breeding that behavior no problem. But since no game has been able to do it yet I don't think Shadowfall will be the first.

That said sure let it be viewable only in TDM games. Those playsets are already such a mess I don't think they could make them worst without actively trying.

VanWinkle

The information isn't the problem. The problem is when you make it viewable people try to improve it to the detriment of the objectives and the rest of their team. The me first behavior is rampant in CoD and ruins pretty much any enjoyment I get out of it. If you can let people know their KDR without breeding that behavior no problem. But since no game has been able to do it yet I don't think Shadowfall will be the first.

That said sure let it be viewable only in TDM games. Those playsets are already such a mess I don't think they could make them worst without actively trying.

I don't think they should have it in Warzone mode, either, for the reasons you say. It should definitely be in TDM mode.

Gonna organize some games of Drone Rodeo tonight. Hopefully come up with some new game types.

I'll be on in about 30 minutes. If you wanna tame some air drones, add me.

My PSN ID is kilgoreisdead.

Looking at the leaderboard on Drone Rodeo playlist is great too. It's just negative points, and about 100 deaths for everyone.

I'm pretty sure it was Halo 2 that popularized the notion to a mass audience.

The second 'stat' screen after every match had Kills, Deaths, Ratio, Accuracy, basically all the 'advanced stats' of shooters, and from there, people used those to establish skill since you could play an amazing match and still get sunk by teeeerrrrrrrrrrrrible players on your team.

VanWinkle

I'm pretty sure it was Halo 2 that popularized the notion to a mass audience.

The second 'stat' screen after every match had Kills, Deaths, Ratio, Accuracy, basically all the 'advanced stats' of shooters, and from there, people used those to establish skill since you could play an amazing match and still get sunk by teeeerrrrrrrrrrrrible players on your team.

Yup.

I just started using the Scout for any length of time today, so I'm not really the best person to weigh in on the class yet, and just unlocked the silencers today too but I'll report back soon how they are. There isn't anything in their description about reducing damage like in most games, so possibly there is no drawback -- that'd be a first.

But as far as what I've noticed playing with/against Scouts, they're definitely the weakest and least relevant in Warzone when played like you described, non-engagement or tipping the balance in their favor for 1v1 engagements, but for the most part 1v1 isn't that important in Warzone matches.

There just isn't that much benefit for a Scout running around invisible with their knife out to knife 1 guy then be exposed. There is greater benefit in NOT engaging anything or anyone when cloaked, but rather to plant/diffuse bombs while invisible, or carry the beacon invisibly, or just to get around the map invisibly and safely then quickly switch back to your weapon.

There also isn't any noticeable benefit to their weapons outside of the big one-shot-kill sniper, and even then it's situational. Assault's have full-auto AR's that can snipe from across the map if needed, same with the Support's Stova or Pulver. The Spoor just seems like it has the drawbacks of most weapons without any of the benefits.

Instead, take the Scout into the meat grinder and release Stun Drone after Stun Drone, keep enemies disoriented and tagged constantly, place C4/trip-mines and taser people (then run in for the brutal melee) and they can be a great help at objectives, arguably more valuable that way than if they were to stay back and long-range.

I'm sure my opinion of them will change as I play with them more often though. These are just my initial impressions as someone who never really has been a non-engagement type of player. I am ALWAYS the guy running face first at objectives.

No, you are dead on.

I do notice scouts use scanning a lot in CQC, giving the team a lot of help. But even spotting can give the position away.

I am curious, however, how the tripmine is. Looking at the unique abilities of the Scout, there do seem to be some awesome tools to utilize, but I do feel like map design can be an obstacle, as you are constantly running into groups of enemies, and explosives go off so much that C4 or tripmines are probably destroyed without anyone actually being aware of such. And like you said, there is very little advantage to invisibly getting a brutal melee kill when you expose yourself incredibly. This is all besides the fact that the main weapons outside of the main rifle seem always disadvantageous, and the Assault Rifles can really do a great job of sniping at great distances.

What do you guys think of allowing invisibility to be used with just the main sniper rifle?

I would actually love it. I know GG made invisibility limited to counter the fact that the semi rifles can be too advantageous... but it just seems like a reactionary move from the horrible design of Killzone 3, where Scouts had freaking assault rifles.

But I really like Killzone 2's setup where you could snipe while invisible. Maybe it'd make the ability way too good in light of the others, but I miss it.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I hope some of the new maps have environmental features like blizzards or sandstorms. I miss that element in Shadowfall. Anyone remember that awesome map in 2 where you had to find shelter every few minutes because a nuke went off? Bring that kind of thing back!

I also hope for more of the iconic art style. As technically impressive as Shadowfall is, it's really striking looking back at videos of 2 & 3 how much stronger those games were visually. Would love to see the old maps in the new engine.

VanWinkle

The more I play the two, I've decided Guerilla Cambridge are the better KZ multiplayer designers. I just find KZ Mercenary to be a better game, hampered only by the limitations of the Vita. If they had done the KZ:SF multiplayer, I'm confident it would have been a better product.

Top Bottom