• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Discussion

The more I play the two, I've decided Guerilla Cambridge are the better KZ multiplayer designers. I just find KZ Mercenary to be a better game, hampered only by the limitations of the Vita. If they had done the KZ:SF multiplayer, I'm confident it would have been a better product.

24 player Mantys Engine action. Woo...

In all seriousness, though, KZ:M is an incredible MP shooter. The fact that it's on a handheld makes it something else altogether. 'Interrogation' is such an awesome Warzone objective; I wish there was something similar in SF, but it's just way too chaotic to accommodate such a thing.

That being said, 4v4 is a completely different beast, so I don't know if I'd be totally confident in their larger scale development ability.

VanWinkle

24 player Mantys Engine action. Woo...

In all seriousness, though, KZ:M is an incredible MP shooter. The fact that it's on a handheld makes it something else altogether. 'Interrogation' is such an awesome Warzone objective; I wish there was something similar in SF, but it's just way too chaotic to accommodate such a thing.

That being said, 4v4 is a completely different beast, so I don't know if I'd be totally confident in their larger scale development ability.

I don't know, they helped with KZ2's multiplayer, didn't they?

The more I play the two, I've decided Guerilla Cambridge are the better KZ multiplayer designers. I just find KZ Mercenary to be a better game, hampered only by the limitations of the Vita. If they had done the KZ:SF multiplayer, I'm confident it would have been a better product.

Not even close, honestly.

Not to put down KZ Mercenary, it's fun, but it's about KZ3 tier.

KZ2 and especially SF are much better.

I don't know, they helped with KZ2's multiplayer, didn't they?

They did? Well, there you go.

On another note, I'm still not sure about the flow of some of the maps. There are a few that just seem all over the joint, both in terms of layout and architecture. Slums, in particular, I find very odd to navigate. Is it just because spawn beacons are all the more frequent now and we're seldom charging at each other from base spawn?

Dibbz

Oh mah gawd I love Killzone SF so much. Unlocked everything now and having tons of fun leveling up the turrets. Any EU GAF that plays often? I'm on basically every day, it's just too damn addictive.

VanWinkle

Not even close, honestly.

Not to put down KZ Mercenary, it's fun, but it's about KZ3 tier.

KZ2 and especially SF are much better.

KZ Mercenary is a much more confined experience than console KZ games, and I think that works well for the Vita. That being said, everything about it is well implemented. There's no horrible mistakes, even small ones, in regards to the UI and how the modes work.

There are problems that are hard for me to overlook on KZ SF:

-Horribly inconsistent framerate. Mostly under 60, when we were led to believe that the vast majority of the time it would be right at or near 60.
- Almost everybody is playing 24-player Warzones (24 player Warzone and 24 player Team Deathmatch), leaving people like me who prefer smaller team modes out in the cold.
- Custom Warzones was one of the most lauded features and it turned out to be completely useless, because a.) Hardly anybody plays the game, and b.) Everybody that does play only plays 4 or 5 Warzones. It now feels like they should have just made a set of great Warzones and called it a day.
- Hardly any guns. Only 9 primary weapons, which seems crazy to me. Even a small experience like KZ Mercenary has more.
- Lack of in-game voice chat is TRULY baffling and I will never understand why they didn't have it at launch.
- No clan or squad support. How could these not be features at launch? It's such a team-focused game but it's hard to feel like a team.
- Stats. I understand not wanting to show kills, deaths, and KD ratio on objective modes. I get that. But on the Team Deathmatch-only Warzones? It's a BIZARRE absence. I want to know how well I'm doing. And it's not just that I can't view my kills and deaths during the game, but I can't even view how many times I did in the post-game stats! I will never know how many times I died in a certain match. They've said "we don't want it to be about deaths" but every player's scorecard has kills, deaths, and KD ratio, so I don't buy that excuse.
- During Team Deathmatch-only Warzones, the score on the top says 0 on both teams the entire time. WHAT IS THIS. It shouldn't go by round! It just ends up saying 0 the entire team, because you win won and it goes to a new match. It doesn't make any sense.
- The scoreboard is a sorry state of affairs. Why on EARTH would the teams not be separated? I DO NOT GET THAT.
- No free-for-all option. Sometimes I don't want to play on a team. Free-for-all works great in KZ Mercenary and it would work great here. They could just limit it to 12 players or something. I understand they would have to rework how spawns work for this mode, but it would be worth it.

I can't even really get into the gameplay because I haven't spent enough time on it. These issues bother me too much to invest a lot of time in the game. I WANT TO. I want to so bad because I was hyping this game LIKE MAD before it came out.

Team Deathmatch (called Guerilla Warfare on Mercenary) UI works way better on Mercenary:

Shows the score for both teams:

in53E0KJ5egEF.jpg

Easy to read scoreboard with pertinent information:

Score at the end (in this case time ran out before the 40-kill limit was reached):

Skinless

Does anyone else think we should be given the option assign one of the abilities to L1? It would be nice to use revive and especially stun without taking my thumb off the left stick.

-Horribly inconsistent framerate. Mostly under 60, when we were led to believe that the vast majority of the time it would be.

It is largely close to 60 for classic warzone.

For 24 player warzone, it's still much higher than 30 fps, and as a result, more responsive even if it does introduce judder, compared to mercenary which is always 30 and below.

And even then it's not anywhere near as bad as you're making it out to be.

- Almost everybody is playing 24-player Warzones (24 player Warzone and 24 player Team Deathmatch), leaving people like me who prefer smaller team modes out in the cold.

Eh, 24 player warzone and classic warzone are split pretty evenly. A lot of people are playing Team Deathmatch though, but I don't really see how this is relevant to the discussion of quality.

- Custom Warzones was one of the most lauded features and it turned out to be completely useless, because a.) Hardly anybody plays the game, and b.) Everybody that does play only plays 4 or 5 Warzones. It now feels like they should have just made a set of great Warzones and called it a day.

They did make a great set of Warzones. Classic, and 24 player.

I agree that the playlists are underutilized, partly due to the low player count but also the UI, but at the same time the stock modes are so awesome I don't particularly care.

Hardly any guns. Only 9 primary weapons, which seems crazy to me. Even a small experience like KZ Mercenary has more.

I count 14 primary weapons. Don't see this as being an issue either, as more weapons doesn't make for a better game.

- Lack of in-game voice chat is TRULY baffling and I will never understand why they didn't have it at launch.

Does Mercenary even have in game voice chat? I never heard a peep from anyone while playing it.

Sure, it should have been there day 1, but it's coming thankfully.

- No clan or squad support. How could these not be features at launch? It's such a team-focused game but it's hard to feel like a team.

Clan support is coming. Parties basically replace squads.

Should have been there at launch, but again Guerilla had to get the game out for launch, I'll cut them a bit of slack as long as it's patched in.

Neither feature is available in mercenary.

- Stats. I understand not wanting to show kills, deaths, and KD ratio on objective modes. I get that. But on the Team Deathmatch-only Warzones? It's a BIZARRE absence. I want to know how well I'm doing. And it's not just that I can't view my kills and deaths during the game, but I can't even view how many times I did in the post-game stats! I will never know how many times I died in a certain match. They've said "we don't want it to be about deaths" but every player's scorecard has kills, deaths, and KD ratio, so I don't buy that excuse.

Really not a big deal to me, but I'm not a stat whore. I actually appreciate the game's focus on rewarding points for teamplay.

Really cool that I get more points for killing a person or capturing an objective at the same time as another person.

During Team Deathmatch-only Warzones, the score on the top says 0 on both teams the entire time. WHAT IS THIS. It shouldn't go by round! It just ends up saying 0 the entire team, because you win won and it goes to a new match. It doesn't make any sense.

Huh, the score is tallied via the colored bar. Either way this isn't something worth throwing much of a fit over.

- The scoreboard is a sorry state of affairs. Why on EARTH would the teams not be separated? I DO NOT GET THAT. [/quote]

It's not that bad, but could be better. Don't think it's a big deal.

- No free-for-all option. Sometimes I don't want to play on a team. Free-for-all works great in KZ Mercenary and it would work great here. They could just limit it to 12 players or something. I understand they would have to rework how spawns work for this mode, but it would be worth it.

Don't care about this at all honestly, Killzone SF is about teamplay and free for all would just seem pointless. If you dig that more, keep playing other games that are tailored towards that.

I can't even really get into the gameplay because I haven't spent enough time on it. These issues bother me too much to invest a lot of time in the game. I WANT TO. I want to so bad because I was hyping this game LIKE MAD before it came out.

That's really weird that things like how stats are presented bother you so much. I play the game because it's fun, I hardly ever look at my stats outside of my point total because the game's focus is on that.

If you want a more lone wolf experience there's plenty of other games to play. I play Killzone for the teamwork aspect because so many games don't even bother with that anymore. With Shadow Fall I feel really tight nit with people that are in my party that I really can't get elsewhere except for games like Halo.

X-Frame

No, you are dead on.

I do notice scouts use scanning a lot in CQC, giving the team a lot of help. But even spotting can give the position away.

I am curious, however, how the tripmine is. Looking at the unique abilities of the Scout, there do seem to be some awesome tools to utilize, but I do feel like map design can be an obstacle, as you are constantly running into groups of enemies, and explosives go off so much that C4 or tripmines are probably destroyed without anyone actually being aware of such. And like you said, there is very little advantage to invisibly getting a brutal melee kill when you expose yourself incredibly. This is all besides the fact that the main weapons outside of the main rifle seem always disadvantageous, and the Assault Rifles can really do a great job of sniping at great distances.

What do you guys think of allowing invisibility to be used with just the main sniper rifle?

I would actually love it. I know GG made invisibility limited to counter the fact that the semi rifles can be too advantageous... but it just seems like a reactionary move from the horrible design of Killzone 3, where Scouts had freaking assault rifles.

But I really like Killzone 2's setup where you could snipe while invisible. Maybe it'd make the ability way too good in light of the others, but I miss it.

On one hand, he has primarily medium to long range weapons, but the Tactical Scan is a close-range ability that gives away his position. Why would he want to find targets within meters of his body when he is trying to find targets far away to snipe? That is why I don't really think the Scout brings much benefit to the team if he stays back with his sniper rifle. If he had KZ2's target scan, that would be different, painting targets from any range as long as they're in his field of view, but there is no long-range abilities that he can provide to his team from far away. If he can find a good vantage point he can watch an objective for a bit, but that's it. Plus, objectives are constantly changing.

Instead, if the Scout is with his team in close-quarters and at objectives, it doesn't matter so much that he is giving away his position with all his teammates around to obscure his exact location, but also is able to paint targets for his entire team as well. The benefits far outweigh the negatives in that situation. It's pretty amazing to watch how the flow of your teammates movements change once you have lit up 4-5 enemies in the area -- they just get swarmed and the enemies really have no where to hide. It is also a great deterrent, alerting enemies that you are there and telling you that they are aware of where you are coming from. It makes me second guess my advance myself when it happens to me.

Also, the Cloaking is now a close-range ability, yielding only the knife. So really, was the Scout supposed to originally get some powerful long-range abilities? Or maybe those proved to not work very well because the maps aren't built with many long-range encounters in mind. No Salamun Market or Phyrrus Rise-type maps so far.

C4 is also AMAZING. Very large blast radius and the manual control of being able to detonate when you want is a great ability. Putting either that or trip mines in hot areas like on a S&D bomb might not be a good idea because of like you said, they could get destroyed, so instead place them along the likely routes enemies will take to get to those objectives that are out of the normal nade-spam zone but where enemies won't expect them. I haven't used the trip-mine yet though, but I remember running right by an enemy one, like a foot away from it, and it didn't go off -- so maybe the trigger range is very small.

Oh mah gawd I love Killzone SF so much. Unlocked everything now and having tons of fun leveling up the turrets. Any EU GAF that plays often? I'm on basically every day, it's just too damn addictive.

I recently got my ground turrets to Level XI and had a lot of fun doing that too, and learned a lot. Towards the end with leveling up that challenge, in 24 player Warzones I was getting 15+ kills a game with them easily, most over 20.

For them, it's also all about putting them in places enemies wouldn't expect them. They expect turrets 5 feet away from the objective sites, but then they don't last very long and the enemies see them before the turrets get a chance to get a kill. Instead, place them far back from objectives, I mean farrrrr back. Most people don't realize that they have quite a long range, and can still protect the objectives from far away. Plus, they have an even greater field of view that way. Also, if you can place them overlooking an objective, or anywhere on an upper level that is overlooking high traffic areas -- expect tons of kills.

rdrr gnr

It is largely close to 60 for classic warzone.

For 24 player warzone, it's still much higher than 30 fps, and as a result, more responsive even if it does introduce judder, compared to mercenary which is always 30 and below.

And even then it's not anywhere near as bad as you're making it out to be.
Why are you going out of your way to minimize legitimate complaints? The idea that framerate varies significantly by gametype is absurd. Every rational person can understand dips within particular situations, but entire gametypes? Team Deathmatch is regularly below 60. You could easily say certain MP gametypes are unlocked at 30 as the game seems to hover around 40-55 frames. And comparing this title's framerate to a portable game is sorta sad.

Can someone explain the teleport skill to me? I don't quite get it? Does it just teleport me to a random location on the map? or set locations? or something else entirely?

Ilúvatar

Sorry I missed the party tonight gang, was watching There Will Be Blood with some friends. Should definitely be around tomorrow night though!

kurbaan

Banned
That drone rodeo is amazing. Damn haven't played this in weeks, been on AC4 and now PS3 games. Need to get back into this soon.

Can someone explain the teleport skill to me? I don't quite get it? Does it just teleport me to a random location on the map? or set locations? or something else entirely?

Random location. Its a good get out of jam quick. But its led to some funny situations teleporting me in near some people.

I really wish you could map abilities to the touchpad. It'd make the scout's teleport more useful, for one, considering that if I have to take my hand of the thumb stick to simply teleport out of getting shot, I'll be dead anyway

Rising_Hei

Im sick of playing alone :<

Feel free to add me up to play this! My id is Balflearspgc, GMT+00

Please Guerrilla, fix the lack of voice chat already, matchs can be so hollow like this c_c

velociraptor

What's wrong with the IQ in multiplayer? I've noticed a bit of a haze in some maps (forest) but besides that it looks pretty good. I thought they weren't using FXAA..?
It looks really blurry to me.

SP looks amazingly clear and sharp in comparison.

Hell, even COD Ghosts MP has superior IQ. That game is really clean (despite 'current gen' visuals).

Baliis

Random location. Its a good get out of jam quick. But its led to some funny situations teleporting me in near some people.

The Support class also has a teleport that sends you to an ally's location. Not as useful as their other skills really, but it can be kinda fun to just pop out of nowhere and save someone.

leng jai

It looks really blurry to me.

SP looks amazingly clear and sharp in comparison.

Hell, even COD Ghosts MP has superior IQ. That game is really clean (despite 'current gen' visuals).

It's not "blurry" per se, it just has a lot of effects that affect sharpness to an extent that something like COD lacks entirely.

ref

Going to try and get a GAF party started.

Add Callmeref if you don't already have me for an invite!

Edit: Doesn't seem to be too much interest right now, will try again in a bit.

Nipo

Going to try and get a GAF party started.

Add Callmeref if you don't already have me for an invite!

Edit: Doesn't seem to be too much interest right now, will try again in a bit.

I'll be up for a group in a bit. Just need to have dinner first.

RoeBear

I'm not sure if this is just me but there's I guess a lock up bug that's happening with me. It usually happens if I use an attachment on a gun and try and melee a spawn beacon after firing with that attachment. It's happening with the shotgun on the Valk and the Taser on the sniper rifles. Hopefully this gets fixed cause it's happening a lot to me.

sunnz

KZ SF...

Really loving it so far, so good! Lag seems to have gone and the FPS seems more stable now too. Still not a fan of how powerful ( well, bullet proof) bots are BUT I realised the stun ability makes it a lot easier to destroy them when used, so it's less of a problem now.

Just wish we could fully choose any class, like I want an assault rifle + spawn beacon with sprint, like you could kinda do in KZ2.

Loadouts are A LOT better in KZ2 ( number of classes, customisation of classes) but except from that KZ SF seems to be as fun as KZ2 was for me.

Just wish more people used spawn beacons. So good when your name is on all the achievements in the game ( killstreak, most kills, points etc...)
Overall, pretty much all maps are very well designed too which I love ( haven't played the rainy one at night though, never gets voted)

Regarding KZ: M, while it is a fantastic game, especially MP wise, it being on the vita just doesn't feel the game to me, can't get into it as much but it has better ideas ( like the buy your weapons, customisation etc...)

KZ: M has better ideas and content but KZ SF has better execution, in a sense. I dislike the vanguard crap from KZ M a lot more than the bots in KZ SF, they are annoying and make it less fun.

Gxgear

Am I using the wrong headphone or is it simply impossible to sound whore in this game? Is this common among all console/modern shooters? I've only really played Counter-strike and TF2.

MADGAME

Thanks for the games tonight GAF, it was fun.

Except trying to capture and connect the last objective in a laggy 24 player Warzone in the round room in The Spire :)

Be back Sunday

_Isaac

Am I using the wrong headphone or is it simply impossible to sound whore in this game? Is this common among all console/modern shooters? I've only really played Counter-strike and TF2.

Sound whore?

The sound has been good in my experience when I've been in the Gaf parties. Also remember that the game itself doesn't have voice chat. You have to be in a party.

KZ Mercenary is a much more confined experience than console KZ games, and I think that works well for the Vita. That being said, everything about it is well implemented. There's no horrible mistakes, even small ones, in regards to the UI and how the modes work.

-Horribly inconsistent framerate. Mostly under 60, when we were led to believe that the vast majority of the time it would be right at or near 60.
- Hardly any guns. Only 9 primary weapons, which seems crazy to me. Even a small experience like KZ Mercenary has more.
- During Team Deathmatch-only Warzones, the score on the top says 0 on both teams the entire time. WHAT IS THIS. It shouldn't go by round! It just ends up saying 0 the entire team, because you win won and it goes to a new match. It doesn't make any sense.
- The scoreboard is a sorry state of affairs. Why on EARTH would the teams not be separated? I DO NOT GET THAT.

Team Deathmatch (called Guerilla Warfare on Mercenary) UI works way better on Mercenary:

Score at the end (in this case time ran out before the 40-kill limit was reached):

Just.... Damn :(

Sound whore?

The sound has been good in my experience when I've been in the Gaf parties. Also remember that the game itself doesn't have voice chat. You have to be in a party.

I think he means to use the sound to his advantage in matches; listening for enemy footsteps and reloads and flanking accordingly. Not that the sound quality is like a whore (whatever that means).

I use headphones and I've been able to hear footsteps, but only when people run. It gets pretty noisy on metal surfaces.

Chris_C

Maybe I need to try and find Warzones with a smaller number of combatants. I played multiplayer FPS's for a long while (I've mostly played Uncharted 2,3 and TLOU), and generally prefer slower paced affairs where I feel like I'm having an impact and can be tactical, and games with an ebb and flow rather than the constant all out firefight grind of KZ so far. Perhaps I should look for some 6 v 6 maps or something.

I quite like the options you have available to you, but I'm not a fan of the constant high octane feel of the pacing.

EekTheKat

Just got all the multiplayer trophies done. Been running largely solo with occasional partnering with a friend.

Total playtime : 4 days 10 hours 23 minutes.

I'm totally average at the game (1.15 KDR) , but still felt pretty good about getting it done. Now just have to do a few campaign related trophies to wrap up my first PS4 plat lol

Feels good to be able to play for fun instead of forcing myself to one particular loadout so I can progress on trophies.

Last skill done was Assault Drone buddy. My supply box shortage worked out by taking advantage of some choke points that pop up on some maps.

Maybe I need to try and find Warzones with a smaller number of combatants. I played multiplayer FPS's for a long while (I've mostly played Uncharted 2,3 and TLOU), and generally prefer slower paced affairs where I feel like I'm having an impact and can be tactical, and games with an ebb and flow rather than the constant all out firefight grind of KZ so far. Perhaps I should look for some 6 v 6 maps or something.

I quite like the options you have available to you, but I'm not a fan of the constant high octane feel of the pacing.

Classic Warzone is 7v7. You can play Support and drop spawn beacons and defend the rear and revive dudes from 30 meters out. You can still contribute to the team and get decent scores without being in the thick of things.

Went back to multiplayer after spending some extensive time with BF4 and not only am I rusty, but some of the matches I were playing were just boring/awful. Hope the afternoon crowd is more fun. And voice chat is desperately needed

Paertan

Just got all the multiplayer trophies done. Been running largely solo with occasional partnering with a friend.

Total playtime : 4 days 10 hours 23 minutes.

I'm totally average at the game (1.15 KDR) , but still felt pretty good about getting it done. Now just have to do a few campaign related trophies to wrap up my first PS4 plat lol

Feels good to be able to play for fun instead of forcing myself to one particular loadout so I can progress on trophies.

Last skill done was Assault Drone buddy. My supply box shortage worked out by taking advantage of some choke points that pop up on some maps.

KDR has nothing to do with how good you are at this game. Ok if you are down in the 0.2 KDR area then you are propably bad but high or low doesn't mean much. Well unless you only play TDM.

KDR has nothing to do with how good you are at this game. Ok if you are down in the 0.2 KDR area then you are propably bad but high or low doesn't mean much. Well unless you only play TDM.

Yup. It's all about the win/loss ratio. Killing 1 enemy, planting a bomb, then dying 3-4 times to ensure it goes off is better than going 5-0 and not going for any objective. (In my book)

My win/loss ratio is at 2.02 but my kill/death ratio is 0.90. And I never go into that TDM Warzone.

If I think how often I die while capturing a flag or disarming a bomb I shudder to think of my KDR.
But I don't care :D
Thank you based KZ for not making the KDR central to grading performance!

Paertan

If I think how often I die while capturing a flag or disarming a bomb I shudder to think of my KDR.
But I don't care :D
Thank you based KZ for not making the KDR central to grading performance!

Or just letting enemies live when you could shoot them in the back while you are sneaking towards that ungarded objective. Better not to alarm the other team you are there.

But Don't think my W/L ratio is any good so far. Been grouped together with a lot of useless KDR hunters in my games. Need to play more with forum buddies.

From all the times I end at the top of the scoardboard and with most mission points I think I am decen at least.

Their loss.
Indeed

Mononoke

Banned

Spot on. Basically summed up how I feel about it. I fuckin hate how broken Battlefield 4 is, but I've been enjoying the MP a lot more than Killzone. I just can't stand how limited the game feels (the guns/classes + the Warzones).

Top Bottom