• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Discussion

EekTheKat

We'll, my win/loss is 1.06 or hovering around there. So in effect I'm just barely breaking even on both categories. I pretty much alternated between TDM and Warzone, though occasionally I'd chain warzones when I group up with a friend of mine.

With all that grinding behind me now though, I think I'm free to play for fun now, with kits/load outs geared more towards my playstyle instead of focused on getting challenges done.

I actually find myself totally sick of drones and turrets now, so I might stay away from support for a while outside of just popping in to drop a spawn point.

I would say no gun is underpowered. I thought the Spoor was underpowered intially, but you've gotta learn the quirks. It's pretty much like this with many guns in the game. There's an hour learning curve, and then it clicks.

Sniping? Better charge that fucker up for the 1 hit kill.

Running and gunning? Deactivate the charging.

The only gun I can say is really underpowered is the Vlug. I don't know why anyone would choose it over the Valk.

Nah man. The Spoor is underpowered. It really needs a shorter delay between bursts. Yes you can "learn" the gun as is. You'll understand what fights you can and can't take. But the issue is that is a burden a lot of other guns simply don't have. You really can't 1v1 anyone in burst fire mode unless you got the drop on them. You're kinda in a position where you have to be in the back line of your team hoping to not draw enemy attention to yourself because they'll fuck you up quick.

Honestly, the Spoor comes with a lot of burdens, and no real strong payoff to justify it. I suppose the fact that it can function in two modes is supposed to be the payoff, but in the end it really is a jack of all trades and master of absolutely nothing. Any matches I've gone like 12/2 with the Spoor I know I could have gone 22/2 if I had picked ____________ (fill in a decent assault rifle). That, to me, is a fundamental problem. I don't mind the challenge (I have fun with it now), but a small tweak here or there would make that gun a much more viable alternative than it is right now.

Oh, and having to hold the trigger for long periods of time so that you can be ready to snipe a target just in case someone pops out is rather obnoxious. It can be quite fatiguing to the hand after a couple of matches. The constant rumbling in the controller that accompanies those long trigger holds can be distracting and unsettling too.

I really like the gun in principle. I think if (a) it charged faster or (b) it could be fired at half a charge for half the damage, sniper mode would be good to go, and I think that if the delay between burst mode trigger pulls was about half or 2/3 as long as it is now, that mode would be good. But maybe not. Idk.

Paertan

Didn't KZ2 have them day1? Pretty sure it did.

Yep. Clan support in KZ2 with the webpage where you could whatch clan matches played on a minimap style map. Ok it was not very good and had bugs but it was cool!
When we were playing serious it was a great tool to find ways to improve.
I so wish we had something like that and that Killzone SF became a real Esport. Afraid I would spend a lot of time with this game then xD
The hours I spent managing my clan in KZ2....

Everdred

Fix this shit Gorilla! Lol

But seriously, when is the clan support and in game chat coming. I feel those 2 are the ones that need to be patched in the most
Their forums say that the voice chat is coming this month and clan support is in the future months.

leng jai

Finally stopped playing Scout and moved onto Assault. The Keyzor is amazing. Pretty sure I didn't get a single kill with my buddy drone in 3 hours though.

Grinchy

Banned
Finally stopped playing Scout and moved onto Assault. The Keyzor is amazing. Pretty sure I didn't get a single kill with my buddy drone in 3 hours hour though.

Yeah they keyzer is my favorite gun in the game, I think. And the drone buddy is horrible. It will be one of the main reasons a lot of people don't get the platinum IMO.

Finally stopped playing Scout and moved onto Assault. The Keyzor is amazing. Pretty sure I didn't get a single kill with my buddy drone in 3 hours though.

Yeah the buddy drone is going to be a real grind, I have been playing a heap of "Say hello to my little friend" and I'm getting a few kills with it each game but it's not going to be easy.

Loving this game though, I can't pull myself away to play anything else atm.

Nipo

Yeah the buddy drone is going to be a real grind, I have been playing a heap of "Say hello to my little friend" and I'm getting a few kills with it each game but it's not going to be easy.

Loving this game though, I can't pull myself away to play anything else atm.

I find the trick on say hello to my little friend is get a few shots in with the pistol then stop shooting them and let the drone finish the job. You'll get killed a lot more but you can get 15+ buddy drone kills a match pretty easy.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Fix this shit Gorilla! Lol

But seriously, when is the clan support and in game chat coming. I feel those 2 are the ones that need to be patched in the most
Clan support is early 2014. They said there's going to be a major patch that includes voice chat and other things this month. Since most of the updates have been on Fridays I'm going to wager it'll be next Friday so it's out before Christmas.

I find the trick on say hello to my little friend is get a few shots in with the pistol then stop shooting them and let the drone finish the job. You'll get killed a lot more but you can get 15+ buddy drone kills a match pretty easy.

Yep, good advice. Just played a few games and got 25 kills in 1 game with the buddy after following that advice, normally I'm too busy worrying about not dying so I just keep shooting.

A few shots combined with good placement behind cover in some choke points really does make it a lot easier.

Huggers

Seemed pretty stable already to me. Still the patch is welcome of course. Voice chat and clan support is desperately needed though no doubt

JustSquid

I haven't been in here for a while but I've been adding all the GAFers that send me requests. If you enjoy playing "clan" matches, so to speak, hit me up. Made a PSN message with about 30 folks who make up the "competitive" foundation for Killzone. We do pick up scrims pretty often and there are about 3-4 definitive teams. So if that's your fancy, just add me and I'll put you on the list.

Also, I'd like to get some feedback on this ruleset. It's one that has been passed around during private clan matches and it was submitted to GG for an "official" competitive warzone. I'd appreciate any input y'all could provide on the ruleset.

Players:
5v5

Maps:
The Divide
The Station
The Park
The Penthouse
The Factory
The Remains
The Slums

Mode: Warzone - Random Rotation of Modes
Beacon Safeguard - standard time
Beacon Theft
7 minutes
Beacon Limit - 3
Attack & Defend
5 minutes
Sabotage Limit - 2
Capture & Move
5 minutes
Point Limit - 1000
Capture & Hold
7 minutes
Point Limit - 1000

Basic Info:
All Classes
Lives - Unlimited
Auto Forfeit - ON
Friendly Fire - ON
Spawn Timer - 7s
Spawn Waves - OFF
Healthy Regen - Normal
Shields - OFF
Buddy Drones - OFF
Air Support Drones - OFF
Turret Drones - OFF
Assault Class Grenade Launchers - OFF
Mobile Mine - OFF
Close Combat - Standard Melee Only
Radar - OFF

Nah man. The Spoor is underpowered. It really needs a shorter delay between bursts. Yes you can "learn" the gun as is. You'll understand what fights you can and can't take. But the issue is that is a burden a lot of other guns simply don't have. You really can't 1v1 anyone in burst fire mode unless you got the drop on them. You're kinda in a position where you have to be in the back line of your team hoping to not draw enemy attention to yourself because they'll fuck you up quick.

Honestly, the Spoor comes with a lot of burdens, and no real strong payoff to justify it. I suppose the fact that it can function in two modes is supposed to be the payoff, but in the end it really is a jack of all trades and master of absolutely nothing. Any matches I've gone like 12/2 with the Spoor I know I could have gone 22/2 if I had picked ____________ (fill in a decent assault rifle). That, to me, is a fundamental problem. I don't mind the challenge (I have fun with it now), but a small tweak here or there would make that gun a much more viable alternative than it is right now.

Oh, and having to hold the trigger for long periods of time so that you can be ready to snipe a target just in case someone pops out is rather obnoxious. It can be quite fatiguing to the hand after a couple of matches. The constant rumbling in the controller that accompanies those long trigger holds can be distracting and unsettling too.

I really like the gun in principle. I think if (a) it charged faster or (b) it could be fired at half a charge for half the damage, sniper mode would be good to go, and I think that if the delay between burst mode trigger pulls was about half or 2/3 as long as it is now, that mode would be good. But maybe not. Idk.

I wasn't claiming that it's the best gun to choose. When you wanna play the Scout and have some versatility, it's fun to use. Assault rifles are better at more dense action, but you don't really have the option of rocking one playing as a sniper unless you find one on the ground.

I feel like the burst delay is a bit long too, but if you balance that with echo, and stone drone, it works out (but that could be said for any gun).

Kameraad is still the best overall sniper to me. Good hip fire, no charge time, quick reload, quick fire rate, plenty of scopes to choose from, etc...

Paertan

Another evening of playing with idiots. Me at the top of the scoreboard. None of my team to be seen. Getting real tired of all the people not doing shit to win the game. I saw a spawnpoint go up once in a while but other than that it was me putting them up or no one. I want to level other stuff too you know!
I need to find some good europeans to play with. Can't go on with this.

At least Fantatier was in a few games. Sorry Fanta I was so damn frustrated I didn't want to use my mic.

Man, why have I not been playing Classic Warzone the whole time? Superb stuff; very reminiscent of KZ2, actually. 'Tis a shame that it's the least populated. Stupid community.

I saw a spawnpoint go up once in a while but other than that it was me putting them up or no one. I want to level other stuff too you know!

I feel ya, buddy. I feel ya. It does make me play great, though, having such purpose/responsibility. If and when we win, I feel deservedly instrumental and I always finish at the top.

Man, why have I not been playing Classic Warzone the whole time? Superb stuff; very reminiscent of KZ2, actually. 'Tis a shame that it's the least populated. Stupid community.

Yeah, the maps seem tailored to the player count in CWZ. 24 player is just a spamfest.

Another evening of playing with idiots. Me at the top of the scoreboard. None of my team to be seen. Getting real tired of all the people not doing shit to win the game. I saw a spawnpoint go up once in a while but other than that it was me putting them up or no one. I want to level other stuff too you know!
I need to find some good europeans to play with. Can't go on with this.

At least Fantatier was in a few games. Sorry Fanta I was so damn frustrated I didn't want to use my mic.

Wanna team up?

Paertan

Yeah, the maps seem tailored to the player count in CWZ. 24 player is just a spamfest.

Wanna team up?

Yes. Add Paertan on PSN. Will propably spend most of this weekend playing. The rest screaming in a pillow because of the idiots I randomly get to play with.

I feel ya, buddy. I feel ya. It does make me play great, though, having such purpose/responsibility. If and when we win, I feel deservedly instrumental and I always finish at the top.

It kind of does feel good.
Yes the other team actually worked together
Yes they won all missions
Yes they have 5 people in top 6
BUT I WON!

ACOGs are largely useless, right?

As magnificent as the weapon designs are in this game, I'm going to have to give an extra special shout-out to the scope attachments. Best looking ACOG and Holo eva.

Dibbz

As magnificent as the weapon designs are in this game, I'm going to have to give an extra special shout-out to the scope attachments. Best looking ACOG and Holo eva.

I do wish some of the markings were not so thick on the sights. Holo sights and Sniper Scopes have really blocky marks. Only ACOG has a nice thin line which is a shame.

Paertan I'll add you. Your in EU right?

Grinchy

Banned
Ilúvatar;93519067 said:
I've found that the zoom on the ACOG is just way too much to be useful in most cases, I usually stick with Holo

I like the ACOG for the scout rifles since the scope they typically come with is so awful. But yeah, I don't like the ACOG for assault rifles.

edit- Holy fuck I'm seeing such a stupid amount of lag in this game tonight. It's unplayable.

leng jai

I wish more people would drop ammo crates. The grenade refill definitely needs a cool down though - spamming it is too easy.

I'm beginning to hate the fact you have to take your left hand off the stick to use your abilities.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I like ACOG for the Pulver and the snipers but yeah, Holo is usually the way to go.

The Helghast ACOG is awesome looking but the holos and dot sights kind of annoy me since the crosshairs are just HUD overlays and don't move with the weapon.

What are your favourite weapons and why?

The Sickle is one of my faves. Has a nice feel to it (though the KZ2 shotty is better), and one hit kills at close range is awesome.

I also really like the Pulver with an ACOG equipped. As a Support I usually like to engage at long range and burst firing with the Pulver is quite effective.

I just started using the Scout and I like the Kameraad (sp?). It feels a lot like the SKS in BF3, which is my favorite gun in that game.

Nipo

Another vote for the Pulver with an ACOG when playing as support. It is a great mid range gun and lets me hang back from the action, pop out a few shots when reviving and get some kills. The missile attachment is also great for taking out any nano shields, turrets and air drones (and if I want to be annoying shooting buddy drones).

For Scout I like the Vulture. I prefer the 2 shot kill and don't mind the slightly slower firing rate. Also the 10x scope is great for maps like Forrest and Wall where you can control large parts of the map with it. I tend to use the silencer attachment because if someone is close enough to stun with the tazer I'm probably already dead.

For assault I love their handgun LS12. The burst fire is a beast and it seems to be the only gun I can consistently get headshots with.

Least favorite guns: The default pistol and scout assault rifle. I can't kill anything with those no matter how often I try. The default pistol is is mediocre at everything where the specialized ones excel at some aspect and the scout assault rifle just seems useless compared to the other guns in the game.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I wish more people would drop ammo crates. The grenade refill definitely needs a cool down though - spamming it is too easy.

I'm beginning to hate the fact you have to take your left hand off the stick to use your abilities.
Yup, instant use abilities should be on L1, with charge ups and secondary fire on the d-pad. Singleplayer controls make more sense here.

Does anyone else find it really difficult to consistently place turrets and shields? There's very little communication why they can't be placed, I just end up spamming fire and hoping it finds somewhere. Died a few times trying to quickly set up a shield while getting shot hopelessly.

The game seems to only cycle about 5 maps, I see the others in the Stat screen but never get to play them. Are they limited to different game modes?

leng jai

Yup, instant use abilities should be on L1, with charge ups and secondary fire on the d-pad. Singleplayer controls make more sense here.

Does anyone else find it really difficult to consistently place turrets and shields? There's very little communication why they can't be placed, I just end up spamming fire and hoping it finds somewhere. Died a few times trying to quickly set up a shield while getting shot hopelessly.

The shield doesn't work if it's going to be clipping into something. Haven't tried turrets.

The Assault stun ability is essentially useless the fast majority of the time because you can't move while using it due to the control layout.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Rumbler is my favorite all around gun, it's useful in every situation.

Valk is great for run and gun. That combined with Speed Boost are always what I use for Beacon capture.

Pulver with ACOG is my go to when I'm playing Support and my team isn't useless. I'll stay back a bit farther and keep the revives and spawns going instead of rushing objectives.

Sickle is what I use for S&D defense or when I have a useless team that needs me to support and go for objectives.

Nipo

The game seems to only cycle about 5 maps, I see the others in the Stat screen but never get to play them. Are they limited to different game modes?

They use a voting system so the same popular maps keep showing up over and over. If you want to play something like Factory you either need to stick around a long time or play with a group and have them all vote for it.

Huggers

For each class.

Scout, I love the Fors with the extra zoom scop. You can pull off some serious long shot one hit kills. Also, C4 is fucking lethal, use this instead of frags or whatever

Assault, I use the Rumbler usually. Good all rounder. I like to use the sprint ability although I mix it up a lot.

Support, this really depends. The Pulver is okay. Decent if you pump the trigger rather than hold it down and use it over medium distances. If there is a massive clusterfuck going on I like to spawn with the Purger and a spawn point because that thing is lethal. Plus it makes a very satisfying noise

Dibbz

Rumbler is my favorite all around gun, it's useful in every situation.

Valk is great for run and gun. That combined with Speed Boost are always what I use for Beacon capture.

Pulver with ACOG is my go to when I'm playing Support and my team isn't useless. I'll stay back a bit farther and keep the revives and spawns going instead of rushing objectives.

Sickle is what I use for S&D defense or when I have a useless team that needs me to support and go for objectives.

I'm the opposite of that. Pulver + Spawn for when I want to get stuck in, Sickle + Turret for when I want to hold back and support in the background.

I need to start leveling up a scout or assault ability to max to get the trophies but I just can't stop putting down turrets. Feels good when you just hear chirp after chirp because idiots are running into your turrets fire lol.

Top Bottom