• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Discussion

meppi

Wow that sucks. I do that a whole lot especially if I'm in a party.

Yeah I know. I tend to do that all the time as well. Sucks that you can't message or even accept a chat request or anything without losing the ability to record what you just did.

For the last two hours I have not been able to stay in the lobby, after the kill animation the game just cops out, no stats screen no chance of staying in the lobby... :(

meppi

Really should have bought this instead of BF4...

Well at least you didn't buy premium already like I did. :(

Been kicking myself about it, especially since I wasn't going to get BF4 due to all the problems. But due to a mess-up at the store I wasn't getting KZ till the week after launch so I wanted at least one game. The more I played BF online, the more I hated it. Put 30 hours into it and I have no drive to go back to it at all.

So far I've put 21 hours into KZ MP and can't get enough of it.
Don't get me wrong, the game isn't perfect and for me personally isn't on the same level as KZ2, but it's doing lots of things right as well.

It does take some time to get used to the controls and all of the weapons have a learning curve, but again, if you put in some time, the game will reward you with plenty of great games. :)

Grinchy

Banned
Really should have bought this instead of BF4...

I'm pretty glad to have both. BF4 can be really, really fun. I still haven't played much of it since it's still in beta (lol) but the hours I've put into it have been pretty cool. When DICE finally finishes making the game it's gonna be pretty sweet.

This game is way more polished though.

torontoml

I don't have a problem with air drones, but the turrets are too accurate or too powerful for my liking. I predominately use the mini gun, but I can not destroy a turret that is facing me without dying, I can even die multiple times if I get revived.

When turrets can be placed directly in front of an objective, often times multiple, it would be nice to be able to get rid of them without having to come up behind them, which sometimes is not possible. I know there are rockets that can get rid of them but I'm using the mini gun and the rockets don't seem to be used by all that many people.

Baliis

I don't have a problem with air drones, but the turrets are too accurate or too powerful for my liking. I predominately use the mini gun, but I can not destroy a turret that is facing me without dying, I can even die multiple times if I get revived.

When turrets can be placed directly in front of an objective, often times multiple, it would be nice to be able to get rid of them without having to come up behind them, which sometimes is not possible. I know there are rockets that can get rid of them but I'm using the mini gun and the rockets don't seem to be used by all that many people.

The turrets are so bizarre to me. Half the time I can shoot them from range without too much worry on a map like the Divide where people place them on the bridges, and the other half they're machine gun sniper rifles that drop me from a mile away in a second.

test_account

XP-39C²

I recommend using Petrusite Grenade on turrets. It works good on Nano Shields too.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Well at least you didn't buy premium already like I did. :(

Been kicking myself about it, especially since I wasn't going to get BF4 due to all the problems. But due to a mess-up at the store I wasn't getting KZ till the week after launch so I wanted at least one game. The more I played BF online, the more I hated it. Put 30 hours into it and I have no drive to go back to it at all.

So far I've put 21 hours into KZ MP and can't get enough of it.
Don't get me wrong, the game isn't perfect and for me personally isn't on the same level as KZ2, but it's doing lots of things right as well.

It does take some time to get used to the controls and all of the weapons have a learning curve, but again, if you put in some time, the game will reward you with plenty of great games. :)

Oh, I bought premium... just forgot to upgrade it on BF4 the first few days, thought it'd be automatic. lol.

I'm going to grab AC this weekend, since I need a non-competitive game to chill with. No others on the system atm. Maybe the week after I;ll pick up Killzone and jump in with you guys.

meppi

Oh, I bought premium... just forgot to upgrade it on BF4 the first few days, thought it'd be automatic. lol.

I'm going to grab AC this weekend, since I need a non-competitive game to chill with. No others on the system atm. Maybe the week after I;ll pick up Killzone and jump in with you guys.

Well then I guess we're both up the same creek without a paddle. ;)

There really isn't much out right now for the system, although The Pinball Arcade is out today in the US and tomorrow in Europe, but that's also a very niche genre.
I wanted DriveClub myself but we'll have to wait a little longer for that. Nothing else really interests me at this point.
Glad I got a Vita, 3D and WiiU to keep me busy besides Killzone.

Yeah, turrets are a strange beast. Like others have said, they're either elite snipers or blind spazbots.

Also, have you guys noticed that there's auto-aim/slight magnetism for nano-shields? Odd inclusion.

ALSO also, the time it takes to disassemble a turret/nano-shield needs a bit of a nerfin'. It really shouldn't take eons, let alone completely immobilize you; it certainly doesn't add up when it's often as quick and less risky to arm an actual objective.

Basically, it's far too punishing a "reward" for having the smarts to position yourself/disable something, rather than unload 2 clips into it.

Baliis

Also, have you guys noticed that there's auto-aim/slight magnetism for nano-shields? Odd inclusion.

Not noticed that, but I feel like grenades have a mind of their own and home in on where it thinks a good spot to throw it might be rather than where you are actually aiming. I've seen far too many perfect across the stage throws and ridiculously perfect bounces off walls to just get around a shield on frag/petrucite grenades to not feel like the game is cheating a bit, while limpets always seem to go exactly where I'm aiming.

X-Frame

Turrets are wonderful in this game, I found lots of amazing places in many maps to put them to great use. Air Sentries on the other hand, I don't think they're 1/4th as useful as ground turrets. I'd almost always rather have a ground turret than an air sentry, regardless of the map or objective.

Nipo

Yeah, turrets are a strange beast. Like others have said, they're either elite snipers or blind spazbots.

ALSO also, the time it takes to disassemble a turret/nano-shield needs a bit of a nerfin'. It really shouldn't take eons, let alone completely immobilize you; it certainly doesn't add up when it's often as quick and less risky to arm an actual objective.

Basically, it's far too punishing a "reward" for having the smarts to position yourself/disable something, rather than unload 2 clips into it.

When playing as a ccout I love watching the turrets from afar and waiting for someone to try disarming them. It is always good for an easy 2-3 kills before someone just throws a grande at it.

The time it takes to disassemble a spawn beacon is the most ridiculous. You can melee it in one hit or wait 3-4 seconds I don't know why anyone would bother with the latter.

torontoml

Anyone able to connect to PSN right now? I'm getting an error, "Can't connect to server. (NW-31201-7)."

I read online that people were getting this error when they first got their system, but I never did, and this seems like an odd time to be a traffic issue.

Dibbz

When playing as a ccout I love watching the turrets from afar and waiting for someone to try disarming them. It is always good for an easy 2-3 kills before someone just throws a grande at it.

The time it takes to disassemble a spawn beacon is the most ridiculous. You can melee it in one hit or wait 3-4 seconds I don't know why anyone would bother with the latter.

You can also use Assaults stun and it breaks. Always fun to run into a spawn beacon, wait for people to spawn fully and stun everything.

Pastry

Banned
Anyone able to connect to PSN right now? I'm getting an error, "Can't connect to server. (NW-31201-7)."

I read online that people were getting this error when they first got their system, but I never did, and this seems like an odd time to be a traffic issue.

I'm getting the same thing right now, not just you.

level44

It seems like I have to put a full clip into someone before they die. It's not lag its just everyone has a ton of health.

It's a little bit annoying when you miss a couple of bullets because your opponent is nearly dead and while you're busy reloading he can turn around and pump a full clip into you.

krioto

I was playing the pistols and grenades warzone last night - so much fun, as there's no turrets or air bots, so support players have to heal and set spawn points!.

Going cloaked scout gets you so many kills.

meppi

It seems like I have to put a full clip into someone before they die. It's not lag its just everyone has a ton of health.

It's a little bit annoying when you miss a couple of bullets because your opponent is nearly dead and while you're busy reloading he can turn around and pump a full clip into you.

Try out some different guns as it depends a lot. You should be able to take down 2 to 3 people with a single clip is you don't miss.
Oh and aim for the head, that certainly helps. ;)

One thing I miss though is the satisfying crack and pop from getting a clear headshot with certain weapons and splattering their skull against the nearest wall. Real shame they took that out.
Loved using my STA-14 pop pop splat!

level44

Try out some different guns as it depends a lot. You should be able to take down 2 to 3 people with a single clip is you don't miss.
Oh and aim for the head, that certainly helps. ;)

One thing I miss though is the satisfying crack and pop from getting a clear headshot with certain weapons and splattering their skull against the nearest wall. Real shame they took that out.
Loved using my STA-14 pop pop splat!

I will try that, thanks, any particularly good gun?

Nipo

You can also use Assaults stun and it breaks. Always fun to run into a spawn beacon, wait for people to spawn fully and stun everything.

I never noticed that. I am terrible with the assault class so i tend to avoid it. I need to go to assault class for dummies as I can't seem to do anything useful playing it.

meppi

I will try that, thanks, any particularly good gun?

Absolutely. Although this might be personal preference and little else.

I absolutely love the Keyzer when playing as assault and the Pulver when playing support.
Especially with an ACOG scope on both of them.
They have a bit of recoil and when going full auto the muzzle flash can blind you, so it's a good idea to control your trigger a little and fire in bursts unless you go up against 2-3 people in close range.
They really excel in mode to long range fights though. CQC isn't really their strongest point although if you use them correctly they will still be deadly that way as well.
Oh when in ver close range up to maximum 20 meters or so you are better of not to aim down sight and use hip fire instead.
The hip fire is a bit downgraded compared to previous KZ games, but it's still in effect. Again, try to learn how to control it as it might feel like you don't hit much at first.

Stupid, STUPID share function. I pressed the button as soon as what I wanted to record had happened; exited the share app and pressed it again, just to make sure. It recorded everything but the desired part.

WHY

Grinchy

Banned
Stupid, STUPID share function. I pressed the button as soon as what I wanted to record had happened; exited the share app and pressed it again, just to make sure. It recorded everything but the desired part.

WHY

That happened to me one night. I hit the button 3 different times and it recorded the segments properly twice. The other time, it showed a thumbnail of the correct spot but recorded something completely different (it showed a screenshot thumbnail of playing on The Spire but actually recorded the next match in The Forest...)

Yes and it's really annoying. Also I've had the game dismantle my own turrets/shields at times when I'm just standing somewhat near them and I try to change weapons (press triangle). I'll expect to just change to my pistol, but instead, my character moves over to the turret and goes through the whole animation of dismantling it. All with a single press of the button...

My bad guys, couldn't quite get home in the 7-10 window I advertised earlier in the thread. Got invited out for drinks by my stock broker, his friends and some of his other clients, and I figured I should go because he's a cool guy, he does a good job, and I like open bars.

Maybe tomorrow? I'll look for you online and shoot out invites.

In the future I'll do my best not to request/advertise grouping up during times and then fail to show up. I hate when people do that!

Hope everybody had (is still having?) fun!

Keep trying to get into this... It's... Okay. I just can't help but feel Mercenary is SOOO much better. Better Warzone objectives, arguably tighter arsenal, less chaotic, more thoughtful map design, etc.

Still adore Shadowfall's campaign though

Grinchy

Banned
This game and BF4 are unplayably laggy for me tonight. I keep thinking it must be on my end, but no speed test from my PC indicates that anything is wrong. I even downloaded something from Steam a second ago to see if it could max out my connection and it did just fine. Is anyone else having issues with PSN tonight?

Paertan

I really need to learn the timing before you can kill somone after they spawn or get revived. Sure with a machinegun or so it doesn't matter so much. But if you have a shotgun and shoot to early well then prepare to die.

Oh and I suck at melee xD Always when I run into a guy they instant melee me. I can only do it if I sneak up on someone.

At least my W/L Ratio is closing in on 2 inspite of my teammates. Been playing more with people on my psn list.

I really need to learn the timing before you can kill somone after they spawn or get revived.
What is the timing here? Is there temporary spawn invulnerability or what? I tend to lose engagements with fresh spawns / revives unless I'm behind them.

The more I play of this the more I love it, but the more I'm spawn camped the more I hate it. Then I play some BF4 and remember that I hate vehicles and getting shot by blips in the distance and it brings me back into the Killzone fold.

For my tastes its pretty close to perfect fro this kind of game - Its pure infantry combat with some drone support, the maps aren't too big to get spread out, and there aren't so many classes and weapon and ability combos to keep track of, so once you get a handle on the maps you can just focus on the objectives and the ebb and flow of the match.

That can all fall to shit if you get spawn-camped, but I just quit out of those games, nor do I push it that far (any more) when I'm on offense.

INCUBA3E

Banned
Few things that need to change

-ability take out downed enemies. Why they changed this is beyond me
-add proximity chat again
-a separate sensitivity for ADS
-adjust camera height. I feel like a dwarf

Paertan

What is the timing here? Is there temporary spawn invulnerability or what? I tend to lose engagements with fresh spawns / revives unless I'm behind them.
Yes you are invulnerable during spawning and reviving. I don't think you can fire before the invulnerability is removed so against automatic rifles you are at a disadvantage since they have time to aim at you while you spawn/revive. But against single shot weapons such as shotgun it can be an advantage if you shoot to early.

It was way worse int the beginning of Killzone 2 when you could basically arm C4 i during the invulnerability phase.

pooch

Neo Member
For a AAA game, I was surprised to find nothing when searching online for guides on all the weapons and attachments.

Is there an emerging consensus on which weapons and attachments are the best? I can see that the Scout SMG is terrible, but other than that I don't have much idea what is relatively good or bad.

I'd particularly like views on the Rumbler HE Grenade and Shotgun attachments - so working to unlock them wouldn't be a waste of time. The same goes for the silencer attachment in the Scout class - e.g. does it reduce damage? Does it make you completely invisible on the radar?

Looking for all the hard info and consensus views I can get my paws on!

Nipo

I'm starting to think the Nano shield is more useless than the buddy drone. The buddy drone I at least figured out how to use and was able to get all the kills in a few days and still like because it makes it difficult for cloaked enemies to get you or anyone to sneak around behind you. The nano shield on the other hand is more of a liability than a tool.

Every class has something that can take the nano shield out on one shot, it gives away your position and makes you an easy target, people can walk through it, throw grenades through it or just flank you and it is tied to one location. And to top it it all off it they don't disassemble it you have to wait forever before you can use the freaking thing again.

This and stuns are the last two abilities I need for my platinum and it makes me want to give up. If it weren't for the achievement I'd never use the thing or even play assault.

The warzones are criminally short, only 4 modes in that main ones???

Shit KZ2 had 7

I need the next game to bring back full warzones and all the classes

Almost got all the attachments unlocked. Just missing the flashlight for the judaz (only 11/75 kills).

I'm already dreading trying to max out all the abilities...

Dibbz

I haven't been in here for a while but I've been adding all the GAFers that send me requests. If you enjoy playing "clan" matches, so to speak, hit me up. Made a PSN message with about 30 folks who make up the "competitive" foundation for Killzone. We do pick up scrims pretty often and there are about 3-4 definitive teams. So if that's your fancy, just add me and I'll put you on the list.

Also, I'd like to get some feedback on this ruleset. It's one that has been passed around during private clan matches and it was submitted to GG for an "official" competitive warzone. I'd appreciate any input y'all could provide on the ruleset.

Players:
5v5

Maps:
The Divide
The Station
The Park
The Penthouse
The Factory
The Remains
The Slums

Mode: Warzone - Random Rotation of Modes
Beacon Safeguard - standard time
Beacon Theft
7 minutes
Beacon Limit - 3
Attack & Defend
5 minutes
Sabotage Limit - 2
Capture & Move
5 minutes
Point Limit - 1000
Capture & Hold
7 minutes
Point Limit - 1000

Basic Info:
All Classes
Lives - Unlimited
Auto Forfeit - ON
Friendly Fire - ON
Spawn Timer - 7s
Spawn Waves - OFF
Healthy Regen - Normal
Shields - OFF
Buddy Drones - OFF
Air Support Drones - OFF
Turret Drones - OFF
Assault Class Grenade Launchers - OFF
Mobile Mine - OFF
Close Combat - Standard Melee Only
Radar - OFF
Hey squid, played a little today of your warzone. It was good fun but there were a few things you might want to look into.

I thought that the points needed for the capture missions was too high. You can hold the zones for the full time limit and hardly fills up the bars. It might be better if the points total was brought in line with the time limit so you could see how much you are winning or losing by. Right now it's like a sliver so it's hard to compare against the other team.

Also since all bots are off and so are shields, may as well turn off Missile Attachments in the Support class.

Really need to play this against a group of good players to make any more comments. It's hard to really gauge things when you are playing with and against randoms.

JustSquid

Hey squid, played a little today of your warzone. It was good fun but there were a few things you might want to look into.

I thought that the points needed for the capture missions was too high. You can hold the zones for the full time limit and hardly fills up the bars. It might be better if the points total was brought in line with the time limit so you could see how much you are winning or losing by. Right now it's like a sliver so it's hard to compare against the other team.

Also since all bots are off and so are shields, may as well turn off Missile Attachments in the Support class.

Really need to play this against a group of good players to make any more comments. It's hard to really gauge things when you are playing with and against randoms.

Hey man, I'm glad you had fun! The rules I posted here have changed a bit but in reality, the warzone will change over time. Guerrilla is down with us providing updates on what the community wants to add or remove. I appreciate your feedback as well! I'm trying to gather as much as I can so that we can provide a detail of what people want to be changed before the holidays, so folks can play it during the upcoming free weekend. 

Feel free to add me on PSN as well. sQuiiDx

No Love

Banned
I'm starting to think the Nano shield is more useless than the buddy drone. The buddy drone I at least figured out how to use and was able to get all the kills in a few days and still like because it makes it difficult for cloaked enemies to get you or anyone to sneak around behind you. The nano shield on the other hand is more of a liability than a tool.

Every class has something that can take the nano shield out on one shot, it gives away your position and makes you an easy target, people can walk through it, throw grenades through it or just flank you and it is tied to one location. And to top it it all off it they don't disassemble it you have to wait forever before you can use the freaking thing again.

This and stuns are the last two abilities I need for my platinum and it makes me want to give up. If it weren't for the achievement I'd never use the thing or even play assault.

Nanoshield is actually a big, big help. It can prevent you from getting killed long enough to counter-fire and kill your attack. If you lay down 2-3 of them and support them with turrets, you can easily establish footholds in chokepoints around the maps and break through enemy lines.

It's an essential ability IMO.

Dibbz

Hey man, I'm glad you had fun! The rules I posted here have changed a bit but in reality, the warzone will change over time. Guerrilla is down with us providing updates on what the community wants to add or remove. I appreciate your feedback as well! I'm trying to gather as much as I can so that we can provide a detail of what people want to be changed before the holidays, so folks can play it during the upcoming free weekend. 

Feel free to add me on PSN as well. sQuiiDx

Already got you on PSN, you sent me a msg on there to give you feedback :)

Regarding the fellas above the shield is important. It can be useful when you are playing any sort of capture mode as well as any time you need to dig in and defend. There have been times where my team was full of Support guys and we couldn't push on because there were no shields up. It can be a big disadvantage if you don't have a few on your team.

meppi

I seem to be getting teamed up with the most boneheaded people possible today.
Search and destroy? We need to run 150 meters to the last objective and not a single one of them even put up a spawn point, not even one fucking time!
I'm getting tired of having to do all the shitty jobs by myself while my team is trying to play cod and look to buff their k/d ratio and nothing else. :-/

Dibbz

Search and destroy? We need to run 150 meters to the last objective and not a single one of them even put up a spawn point, not even one fucking time!
I'm getting tired of having to do all the shitty jobs by myself while my team is trying to play cod and look to buff their k/d ratio and nothing else. :-/

I tend to switch out to Spawns when I notice we ain't got one, but first chance to switch to turrets I do that and will switch back to spawns if I need to down the line.

I'd be spawns all the time but I gotta level up dem abilities, you know :p

Nipo

Already got you on PSN, you sent me a msg on there to give you feedback :)

Regarding the fellas above the shield is important. It can be useful when you are playing any sort of capture mode as well as any time you need to dig in and defend. There have been times where my team was full of Support guys and we couldn't push on because there were no shields up. It can be a big disadvantage if you don't have a few on your team.

I'm get how it is supposed to be used I"m just saying that in my experience it doesn't last long enough to be effective. WIthin 30 seconds a support sends a missile, assault stun blasts it or a scout uses their attachment to take it out.

The only way I"m getting a decent number of shield kills per match is the same way I did cloak kills. Circle around and get behind them. Even that would be much easier without the added step of using the shield.

But i dislike the assault class in general so I'm biased. I can't wait until i finish these so i can go back to playing support.

rCIZZLE

These kind of people make me quit out of a lot of matches. No way I'm going to waste 20-30 minutes with idiot teammates.

btkadams

I tend to switch out to Spawns when I notice we ain't got one, but first chance to switch to turrets I do that and will switch back to spawns if I need to down the line.

I'd be spawns all the time but I gotta level up dem abilities, you know :p

this is exactly what i've been doing and it's getting quite annoying. it seems like i'm always on a team that isn't setting up enough spawn points (not when i'm in a gaf party though). i always have to switch to it. it's maxed out though and my other abilities have barely been used.

Top Bottom