• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Discussion

I've played about 30 hours and I have 1 :lol

The change to a nonsticky cover system is a mixed bag. I think it's a ibt more responsive and reliable in Mercenary.

i boosted mine by using the sniper on remains. Just chill on that platform right outside the spawn area(need a ladder to climb) and peak out to snipe

I'll start a party in about an hour

If you could send an invite out to me that'd be great. PSN id is Psychoward23. I hate using the pack-in mic though so I won't be able to talk to you guys until my headset gets here sometime next week, but I'll have chat on and listen and whatnot. If I have to play one more game without any spawn beacons I think I'm going to shoot someone.

X-Frame

Random question, does anyone know if the ground turrets fire can go through a friendly Nano Shield? e.g. construct a turret, die, swap to Assault and place a shield in front of it.

I just imagined 2-3 ground turrets protecting an objective, all behind their own Nano Shield, geeeez.

Mitark

Random question, does anyone know if the ground turrets fire can go through a friendly Nano Shield? e.g. construct a turret, die, swap to Assault and place a shield in front of it.

I just imagined 2-3 ground turrets protecting an objective, all behind their own Nano Shield, geeeez.

you can do that,i remember i placed my Nano Shield in front of friend's turret, but i guess they can still destroy it with grenade.

Yeesh, what timezone are you guys in that you guys in that you're already playing?

I'm in PST and still at work! LOL

But I am off in about an hour, so I'll hop online when I get home and see if you guys are still around.

RedAssedApe

Banned
played some Teamdeath match games tonight. How do people enjoy this more than warzone?

considering how the randoms play when they do play warzone i'm not surprised that TDM is the most popular lobby by a landslide. half the people i get partied up with don't look like they know that abilities exist...

Yeesh, what timezone are you guys in that you guys in that you're already playing?

But I am off in about an hour, so I'll hop online when I get home and see if you guys are still around.

PST here as well. The other night I was playing with a few Gafers at like 5am lol
could be that they are younger than you also? lot of people are on winter break from school right now. that or they ain't in the US :)

My god. Planting a turret in the middle of a 24 player firefight is probably the most stressful thing you can do in this game. The placement parameters are pretty sketchy, so I just end up spamming R2 and screaming, "PLANT, DAMN YOU!"

Personally, the game is just becoming increasingly addictive and enjoyable the more I play. The KZ formula is truly magical. Buying BF4 on the cheap recently has only served to highlight this further. Sure, BF4 is totally decent, but the netcode and hit detection is utterly spasmodic. That's one thing that SF does very well, in my opinion. Hit detection on bodies is deliciously spot-on. I wish the same could be said for geometry, which still boils my blood every now and then...

AND THAT LACK OF AUTO-AIM! It's amazing. Why it isn't standard now with such accurate and dextrous controllers is beyond me. All of your kills feel well-earned. I think we all know the feel of duking it out one on one with the enemy and expending a whole clip because in the panic, you've neglected to tilt the stick one iota to the left or right. And it's not because you're both shit; it's because it's REAL. It makes the moments where you bring up your reticle, track perfectly and hear that chirp all the more rewarding.

All in all, good going, GG. This is a Killzone game through and through. It's unique and it's great.

Yeah, it's as addictive as KZ2 for me. The feeling of actually killing people is more satisfying in this than any other game.

The shooting is the essence of Killzone and the core of an FPS which is why I don't get why the series gets so much shit. It absolutely nails the gunplay, the single most important part of the genre.

No kidding the gun play is excellent imo

Yeah, it's superb. That being said, the whole strafe > hip-fire > headshot cadence that KZ2 is more or less built upon is amazing; and that's all but absent in SF, unfortunately.

Playing with the Sickle really gives you those KZ2 feels, though. That gun is insanely good. I'm finding it more and more difficult to not opt for it 90% of the time.

I live in Japan (GMT +9), and usually play when I come home from work, which would be around 11pm for PST GAFfers. On vacation now so I can play any time.

IndustryX

Anyone who wants to party up invite me now

Industryx--

No mic at the moment but I'm a team player, left it at my house (home for the holidays)

leng jai

More and more games seem to devolve into blatant spawn camping for me, and it's not just in TDM. It's becoming a serious problem. That and grenade spam while you're being blocked by 5 team mates at once.

Gawge

Just played a few games in the party. Good fun!

In the last game that I played, we may have put some low level players off from ever playing again though. Haha.

RedAssedApe

Banned
grenade hit detection is so hit and miss in this game. i've had just as many multi-kill grenade tosses as suicides due to grenade tosses that hit some invisible wall. not to mention deaths from hesitating to throw a grenade due to fear of the latter.

-_-

grenade hit detection is so hit and miss in this game. i've had just as many multi-kill grenade tosses as suicides due to grenade tosses that hit some invisible wall. not to mention deaths from hesitating to throw a grenade due to fear of the latter.

-_-
I'm pretty sure that in all of the grenades I've thrown, maybe 10% of them have gone where I hoped they would. Its probably less as I do a little victory jig whenever I plant one just where I was aiming.

More and more games seem to devolve into blatant spawn camping for me, and it's not just in TDM. It's becoming a serious problem.
It goes in waves. I just quit out of those matches now.

IndustryX

-_-

Haha just threw my controller after my 5th grenade suicide after it bounced off the back of teammates heads that run in front of me or hits some invisible wall and blows me up. Surprisingly durable controller ;)

So much rage.

ZehDon

So after about 280 matches I only just completed the "Get 5 kills in cover" challenge. The fuck?
This had me as well. "Cover" isn't just sitting behind something. If you crouch down behind something, face the thing your sitting behind and then bring up the iron sights. You'll pop up over the object just enough to see, and now be firing "from cover". It's basically Crysis 2's system in how it functions, and that it does legitimately provide additional protection. However, it only seems to register 75% of the time here - or maybe I haven't figured it 100% out yet. I can't say it's worth the hassle from my experience so far.

More and more games seem to devolve into blatant spawn camping for me, and it's not just in TDM. It's becoming a serious problem. That and grenade spam while you're being blocked by 5 team mates at once.

God yeah, in the GAF part earlier, on the map 'The Wall(?)', for the first five minutes it was push push, defend defend but as soon as we pushed far enough, it was like game over. We set up a few spawn beacons on top of the gantry and below it. It was absolute slaughter. I can't imagine it being any kind of fun for them...

But as a perpetrator of these atrocities though, when given the chance I can't bring myself not to do it which goes for most people. GG need to fix this somehow

For those that were able to join... that was fun. See you tomorrow for Killzone free weekend aka noob slaughter fest.

That it was :), so yeah guys add me, rube here, starfleets etc. we usually have a big party going every day for the past few days

For those that were able to join... that was fun. See you tomorrow for Killzone free weekend aka noob slaughter fest.

I'll definitely be able to play with you guys tomorrow. Was having mic problems, and BF4 is taking forever to install. I guess it was pretty late at night for you guys too.

test_account

XP-39C²
God yeah, in the GAF part earlier, on the map 'The Wall(?)', for the first five minutes it was push push, defend defend but as soon as we pushed far enough, it was like game over. We set up a few spawn beacons on top of the gantry and below it. It was absolute slaughter. I can't imagine it being any kind of fun for them...
Personally, i think its boring if total domination happends on either side, because it either becomes too hard or too easy.

But as a perpetrator of these atrocities though, when given the chance I can't bring myself not to do it which goes for most people. GG need to fix this somehow
I think its almost impossible to fix it, unfortunately. It comes down to how well people play. They need to push and place spawn beacons, i think that is the only solution. Maybe they could add one extra route out of the spawn area as well, especially on The Forrest (on the Helghast side) and The Wall maps. On these maps its possible to see all exit routes with a clear sight and not get shot by the base turrets.

Well, there is one other solution. In Killzone 2, there were some DLC maps that had an automated nuke on them. Everyone who wasnt inside when the nuke went off were killed, and all turrets and drones were also destroyed if they were outside. Its very unlikely be implemented in Killzone: Shadow Fall though, but i guess its a solution.

Alienous

ugh...got first place for once and ps4 share didnt save the video...smh

Ron-Burgundy-Saying-I-Dont-Believe-You.gif

Does anyone want to play? PSN ID: Msharingan

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

-_-
I've gotten pretty good at ranged grenade throws. It's medium range that I may go out in a blaze of glory.

I'm licking my lips in anticipation.

Personally, i think its boring if total domination happends on either side, because it either becomes too hard or too easy.

I think its almost impossible to fix it, unfortunately. It comes down to how well people play. They need to push and place spawn beacons, i think that is the only solution. Maybe they could add one extra route out of the spawn area as well, especially on The Forrest (on the Helghast side) and The Wall maps. On these maps its possible to see all exit routes with a clear sight and not get shot by the base turrets.

Well, there is one other solution. In Killzone 2, there were some DLC maps that had an automated nuke on them. Everyone who wasnt inside when the nuke went off were killed, and all turrets and drones were also destroyed if they were outside. Its very unlikely be implemented in Killzone: Shadow Fall though, but i guess its a solution.

You have a very good point and I was thinking along the same lines of giving more exit points. Not played the other killzones but the nuke idea is pretty cool I think.

Gskyace

I've played 35 hours...
All the weapons are unlocked, then I need to only max out all the abilities.

Add me to Gaf party! PSN: Gskyace

I've come to the conclusion that you should be able to hang from ledges and pull fuckers off above you ala Uncharted.

I realize this is a stupid idea, and Killzone is not Uncharted, but it'd be fun as hell.

But as a perpetrator of these atrocities though, when given the chance I can't bring myself not to do it which goes for most people. GG need to fix this somehow.
Yeah, thats the tough part. If this game is to have legs people just have to *not* spawncamp. Not only does it lead to matches that are fun, rather than shooting fish in a barrel, but the losing players might actually return for more.

As it is I'm pretty sure the amount of spawn-camping here will turn people away from the game for the long haul. Like you say its just zero fun to be on that end of things. Its just broken.

I don't know how everyone else feels but the encumbered "weighty" feel to KZ is at least to me a hindrance that's not present in other shooters and it keeps the game from having the sort of frenetic action seen in BF & COD. Up the player count make the characters a little more agile and with the pretty graphics we'd definitely be on to something. Now I'm not saying turn it into a twitch shooter but while I enjoy the shit outta KZ its just too damn slow to me.

I don't know how everyone else feels but the encumbered "weighty" feel to KZ is at least to me a hindrance that's not present in other shooters and it keeps the game from having the sort of frenetic action seen in BF & COD. Up the player count make the characters a little more agile and with the pretty graphics we'd definitely be on to something. Now I'm not saying turn it into a twitch shooter but while I enjoy the shit outta KZ its just too damn slow to me.

I love the feel of the guns and how it's not trying to be like COD in the gunplay. Have you tried increasing your stick sensitivity? Feels good on 80% to me.

I love the feel of the guns and how it's not trying to be like COD in the gunplay. Have you tried increasing your stick sensitivity? Feels good on 80% to me.

Yeah I usually play most my shooters with high sensitivity anyway but the heavy feeling remains. I like KZ for not imitating COD or BF but I dunno just wish the player movement was a little more fluid.

I like the more weighty, encumbered feeling of the soldiers and the weapons.

I think the problem some people have with it is that they're trying to play the game like BF or COD, when it's not those games. It's much more about positioning, communication and approaching battles than it is about quick reaction speeds. In many cases, battles are won and lost before the players even line up their sights. That's why most of the abilities can a second to use. You're not supposed to be dropping a shield in the middle of a fire-fight, you're supposed to be dropping it in anticipation of a firefight.

I think the worst thing a player could do when it comes to getting a feel for Killzone is play either TDM or 24-player anything. Play classic Killzone, learn the maps, get a sense for how much time and space you have in the choke-points and major combat areas, etc.

leng jai

The big difference is that Killzone rewards positioning, quick thinking and spacial awareness a lot more than CoD and BF. I can't stand the fact that you're dead in a quarter of a second 95% of the time.

Top Bottom