• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Discussion

Well, I was having a fantastic game just a few minutes ago and though it was back and forth and we were losing, we were in a good spot to come back or at least tie it. All good, until I went to suicide so I could swap classes and accidentally hit the Invite Friends option...

I'm not sure what the issue is or if anyone else has had it, but I left the Invite Friends menu right away and the options menu proceeded to get stuck... I couldn't do anything in game. I could access the PS4's menu but Killzone became completely unresponsive. My fantastic game became absolutely useless and even though I left it for awhile, it didn't go away. This has happened to me numerous times now and it so fucking annoying. I'm quite pissed. This bullshit has washed away a few games now. FTSG!

Had a lot of fun playing with Gaffers tonight even though I didn't have a mic. The competition should definitely go by average score in the playlist though, with a minimum of either like 15 games total or 5 games a day.

Since I've kind of worked through all of the single player campaigns I've got for now on the PS4, I stuck in Shadow Fall last night and on a whim fired up the multiplayer, and ended up sitting there all evening on it haha. Reaally really surprisingly good imo. I'm n ot sure what I expected but the only online multi I've ever got into and enjoyed was the original MW and Halo Reach, so it's far and few between that I get sucked into competitive like I did last night. It was just TDM I was playing, but I really enjoyed it. I might just go buy that season pass today. What exactly are the *expansions* going to be, if all the maps are free?

Does killzone have any sort of bungie.net equivalent where you can check your game history etc.? The stats in the actual game seemed a little bare for what I was looking for (wanting to look back on how my last 5 games had went etc.), and I did visit the killzone site but that seems more of a point of sale for the games haha and not really a multiplayer companion.

Since I've kind of worked through all of the single player campaigns I've got for now on the PS4, I stuck in Shadow Fall last night and on a whim fired up the multiplayer, and ended up sitting there all evening on it haha. Reaally really surprisingly good imo. I'm n ot sure what I expected but the only online multi I've ever got into and enjoyed was the original MW and Halo Reach, so it's far and few between that I get sucked into competitive like I did last night. It was just TDM I was playing, but I really enjoyed it. I might just go buy that season pass today. What exactly are the *expansions* going to be, if all the maps are free?

Does killzone have any sort of bungie.net equivalent where you can check your game history etc.? The stats in the actual game seemed a little bare for what I was looking for (wanting to look back on how my last 5 games had went etc.), and I did visit the killzone site but that seems more of a point of sale for the games haha and not really a multiplayer companion.

http://www.killzone.com/en_US/

You have to log in and then go to your profile. It gives you all kinds of stats.

X-Frame

Got killed at a 22 kill streak. So close to getting that 30.

Can someone in the GAF party tell me if you're full. Ya'll are in game chat.

What were you doing when you got 22? What class and map and stuff?

I only hit 15, but I want 20 at least one game to unlock that challenge.

bLaiSe

Anyone want to team up for this competition thingy? My English is not really good when it comes to speaking it so I won't talk much. :)
Add me: bLaiSe_HUN timezone: GMT

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
You guys are going to be on this afternoon, right? I want to get in on a Reckoning Party and I'm pretty close to 400 challenges/1 million points. Time to cross those off the list.

Managed to get a 13 kill streak there. You guys aiming for 20/30 must be the business haha, I'm more than happy with that!
My record is 8. I pretty much only play objective games so personal safety be damned.

Paertan

I sometimes wish a game wouldn't count as a loss if you join, don't spawn and quit.
I had W/L Ratio of 1.85 and was pushed down to 1.58 in one day because I got put in games that was already lost or games where one team are 500+ ranked and my team is all below 100.

I don't care much about stats, only a little bit about W/L Ratio. Would love to see how many games I am #1. MVP is only awarded when you have most Mission points AND Kills.
I got a ot of awards for most Missions points but only like 4 MVP.

But today is alla about trying to make it fun for beginners trying it out. Want more people to buy this game!

IISANDERII

If I have to play one more game without any spawn beacons I think I'm going to shoot someone.
Just based on this comment I decided to be support and make spawn beacons. You rack up points very quickly this way!

I went 9-6 in my very first game but in my 4th game[24 player TDM] I came 3rd overall in score because of beaconing and reviving. Funs.

Killer

Banned
I tried the game today and it was... Great! Didn't expect the gameplay to be this smooth. I'm pleasantly surprised. I wish they have made a discount on the game during this demo period.

Rubenov

You guys are going to be on this afternoon, right? I want to get in on a Reckoning Party and I'm pretty close to 400 challenges/1 million points. Time to cross those off the list.

My record is 8. I pretty much only play objective games so personal safety be damned.

I'll be in in about an hour, looking to play for quite some time.

PSN: Rubenov25

IISANDERII

The latency in this game is fucking awful. I push left and about a second later I turn left. Any feedback you get from getting shot or shooting somebody is almost useless.

Only my early impression but I can't imagine it becoming acceptable.

RoKKeR

Tried the game last night and was seriously unimpressed. I don't play a lot of Killzone but dabbled in KZ2 multiplayer and played a lot of the Mercenaries beta on Vita.

The variable framerate is absolutely horrendous and is probably the source for my current negativity towards the game. Sometimes it's 50, sometimes 20, and when it's jumping all around it is incredibly distracting and annoying. The gameplay was solid Killzone and I definitely wasn't used to it coming off playing BF4 earlier with a friend.

I really do love that everything is unlocked - makes jumping into a demo period like this much, much more enjoyable. The maps seemed pretty good too.

I'll try again today, any advice? I was getting shit on while getting more annoyed about the framerate, so not a good start haha.

Wish they would have locked it at 30 or 60, this in between solution is just bad.

Sorry to be that guy who complains about framerate.

I don't know how everyone else feels but the encumbered "weighty" feel to KZ is at least to me a hindrance that's not present in other shooters and it keeps the game from having the sort of frenetic action seen in BF & COD. Up the player count make the characters a little more agile and with the pretty graphics we'd definitely be on to something. Now I'm not saying turn it into a twitch shooter but while I enjoy the shit outta KZ its just too damn slow to me.

Game just isn't for you. Plenty of other shooters out there for you. Game is already much faster paced than KZ2 which is a shame IMO. Same thing happened to Halo 4 and we all know how that turned out.

Tried the game last night and was seriously unimpressed. I don't play a lot of Killzone but dabbled in KZ2 multiplayer and played a lot of the Mercenaries beta on Vita.

The variable framerate is absolutely horrendous and is probably the source for my current negativity towards the game. Sometimes it's 50, sometimes 20, and when it's jumping all around it is incredibly distracting and annoying. The gameplay was solid Killzone and I definitely wasn't used to it coming off playing BF4 earlier with a friend.

I really do love that everything is unlocked - makes jumping into a demo period like this much, much more enjoyable. The maps seemed pretty good too.

I'll try again today, any advice? I was getting shit on while getting more annoyed about the framerate, so not a good start haha.

Wish they would have locked it at 30 or 60, this in between solution is just bad.

I've had barely any framerate issues but I also basically only play classic warzone, give that a try instead.

I just got used to it, but I'm sort of scared to play BF4 and then go back to this because of the framerate differences...

Just tried it using the ps+ demo. are the graphics toned down compared to single player to get a higher frame rate? So far I am pretty underwhelmed

Just tried it using the ps+ demo. are the graphics toned down compared to single player to get a higher frame rate? So far I am pretty underwhelmed

Yeah, much more aliasing and pop-in than the singleplayer for one. Textures might be a little bit worse as well, but I still think the multiplayer looks great. Singleplayer is mindblowing though.

btkadams

Ehhh. I found Battlefield to have a much smoother/consistent framerate, in addition to all the action/destruction that you see on screen.
Ok, framerate I definitely understand, but Battlefield is running at sub-resolution and I would still argue that the visuals are less impressive, even taking resolution and framerate out of consideration. It's not even close for me. There's a clear sacrifice for gigantic levels. (I have a lot of fun with BF4 btw)

Of course, that is just how I see it, so I understand people feeling different.

Guys add me my sister got me and my brother the game and ps4 at uk launch but just started playing last week when i got back from uni. Gonna play so much in the next 2 weeks before i go back to uni. Psn the_adeks

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Don't be sorry; the multiplayer framerate is the biggest fuckup in the game, and they should be ashamed of their priorities. They know it too, with the pre-release damage control excuses made about the framerate.

Interestingly, according to Digital Foundry the framerate isn't as bad as it looks - it tends to stay around 40fps and isn't really dropping sub-30 much. But it stutters, coughs, and jumps around so much it creates the psychological effect that it is running worse than it actually is.

It's funny that for the moment I'm playing Mercenary more online than this because its relatively stable 30fps is more visually comfortable to focus on.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

It gives me a headache in 24 player matches as well. Try Classic Warzone. It's much more consistent there.

Jinroh

Is it just me or is the net code rock solid?
Played today, had an insane lag on some servers. I had to shoot a guy close range more than 10 times with the shotgun before he finally died. There was a nearly 10 seconds delay. Sometimes you just can't kill people who lag.

So the game is quite smooth, but when it starts to lag it's horrendous.

Alienous

Ok, framerate I definitely understand, but Battlefield is running at sub-resolution and I would still argue that the visuals are less impressive, even taking resolution and framerate out of consideration. It's not even close for me. There's a clear sacrifice for gigantic levels. (I have a lot of fun with BF4 btw)

Of course, that is just how I see it, so I understand people feeling different.

I would absolutely sacrifice real-time reflective surfaces, and nice particle effects, for a solid frame rate. Even a solid 30. Heck, if they had to drop the resolution to 900p.

It can kill the fun of the game. Especially in 24 player matches, the framerate gets really bad.

Spent some real time with the game tonight. I can immediately say it's better then Killzone 3. Gone is a lot of the bullshit like infinite cloak, infinite inflitrator, and remote charges. It's actually very close to how Killzone 2 played. I just wish it looked more like KZ2, but that's what future dlc is for.

jsip

Banned
Tried out the MP for the first time with the free weekend. Not a fan of the variable framerate. Inconsistency makes it much harder to anticipate gun control due to variance of ms of each frame during hectic fights. The plus is that there's no aim assist making it a bit easier to place shots and takes the edge off of the variable framerate just a tad, but still maintaining control when the framerate fluctuates is a bit annoying.

The announcer voices are meh.

Level design is a plus. Just from a few games I played they are varied in terms of maneuverability. Some feel a bit too scattered for smaller game sizes and would benefit from fewer corridors, overall. Decent travel time around a map but too much time spent in cramped places, corridors, small rooms.

FOV needs an increase something fierce. Its just way waaaaaay too low, IMO.

RedAssedApe

Banned
are the people bothered by the fov playing on monitors/smaller screens or sitting only a few feet away?

when i watched the mp gameplay on my laptop awhile back the fov bothered me a little bit due to my face being a ft away from my laptop but hasn't really bothered me at all sitting about 7-8ft away from my 50inch TV. fov seems comparable to halo no? or is it worse? haven't played halo in awhile.

are the people bothered by the fov playing on monitors/smaller screens or sitting only a few feet away?

when i watched the mp gameplay on my laptop awhile back the fov bothered me a little bit due to my face being a ft away from my laptop but hasn't really bothered me at all sitting about 7-8ft away from my 50inch TV. fov seems comparable to halo no? or is it worse? haven't played halo in awhile.

I have a 42 inch tv but i play this game on my 21 inch monitor because response time on my tv isn't too hot. It bothered me at first but I've gotten used to it. The series has always had a FOV like this. I think it is a design choice to make the game feel more chaotic.

Top Bottom