• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Discussion

Hypothetical changes I would like to see:

Scout
-Enable weapons during Cloak; or at the very least, sidearms
-Tactical Echo doesn't give enemy visual cue of your position
-A full auto smg/rifle (Keyzer perhaps)

Assault
-Buddy Drone needs to be reworked so it doesn't actively tries to murder/kamikaze you
-Failing the above, Buddy Drone and Air Support need to switch classes
-Nano shield not requiring a second prompt to activate
-Access to some of the heavy weaponry (Sickle and Purger would be my pick) while removing some redundant ones (Breacher, Keyzer, Vlug)

Support
-Voltage needs serious nerfs across the board. Shot charge, delay, damage, blast radius, reserve ammo, spread, range
-Larger fire spread for Purger, increased rev time
-Air Support damage reduced, drop detection on cloaked units, range reduced, uptime reduced
-No despawn for deployed Supply Box (as long as loadout is active) , visual cues for own team
-Removal of certain heavy weapons (Sickle, Purger), Breacher as the replacement shotgun
-Limited use on Spawn Beacon, or uptime reduced
-Turret firing angle reduced
I only agree with the bold. Everything else would be harmful to the game imho.

Especially the idea of invisibility plus firearms. Just no, no, god no. Scouts should be able to keep cloak in sight of turrets and drones though. Its not like cloak is overpowered as it has a moderate cooldown and doesn't make you totally invisible.

Also, I don't really think assaults need any help. They just have to be smarter and more focused in using their stun to clear rooms and especially in how they use their nanoshields, specifically towards winning the objective and not purely for one-on-one engagements. Assault needs to run into danger, to take and hold ground and to deploy those walls as defense for support personnel to come in and solidify the setup with turrets, drones, resupply and revives. If anything my complaint with assault stems around players not actually, you know, assaulting. If you're assault, run your ass into danger for the team and allow support to revive you.

The support class itself is fine, but ultimately the spawning system just doesn't work - neither the static bases on the map nor the spawning beacons. Mainstream players just aren't using spawn beacons even though its *the* number one most valuable asset for a team. Simply put, if you don't see several spawn points on the field to choose from when deploying you're going to lose. But even still, nobody uses them and warzone becomes team deathmatch with some minor optional objectives sprinkled in.

I hate to say it but the Killzone spawning system just doesn't survive the test of practicality. I'd rather have an automated or passive system to keep the game from devolving into a spawn camping nightmare.

bLaiSe

I only agree with the bold. Everything else would be harmful to the game imho.

Especially the idea of invisibility plus firearms. Just no, no, god no. Scouts should be able to keep cloak in sight of turrets and drones though. Its not like cloak is overpowered as it has a moderate cooldown and doesn't make you totally invisible.

Also, I don't really think assaults need any help. They just have to be smarter and more focused in using their stun to clear rooms and especially in how they use their nanoshields, specifically towards winning the objective and not purely for one-on-one engagements. Assault needs to run into danger, to take and hold ground and to deploy those walls as defense for support personnel to come in and solidify the setup with turrets, drones, resupply and revives. If anything my complaint with assault stems around players not actually, you know, assaulting. If you're assault, run your ass into danger for the team and allow support to revive you.

The support class itself is fine, but ultimately the spawning system just doesn't work - neither the static bases on the map nor the spawning beacons. Mainstream players just aren't using spawn beacons even though its *the* number one most valuable asset for a team. Simply put, if you don't see several spawn points on the field to choose from when deploying you're going to lose. But even still, nobody uses them and warzone becomes team deathmatch with some minor optional objectives sprinkled in.

I hate to say it but the Killzone spawning system just doesn't survive the test of practicality. I'd rather have an automated or passive system to keep the game from devolving into a spawn camping nightmare.
I can't agree more with this post. Especially the last paragraph. They have to sort the spawn camping out.

Grinchy

Banned
More of the good players would be using spawn beacons if they weren't trying to grind gun unlocks and ability challenges.

I often go and set up a spawn point, then when I die I switch to a class I actually want to play. But even this becomes annoying after a while to try to keep up with spawn points. Having a loadout dedicated to spawn beacons at all times for someone who has played a lot of the game just feels pointless when you'd rather be working on turrets or supply boxes or playing a whole different class.

rottame

I think they should make drones and turrets less powerful and, even more important, easier to destroy. That's the only way to actually give an incentive to play in a different, more tactical way. Right now it's depressing to see most players playing such a deep game just by running and shooting like headless chickens. I mean, no one even goes around with other team mates (which is something that is fun and gives you more chances to survive).
Anyway, I put my name on the list. I'm in Sweden (GMT+1), I play only at night and I usually play scout and support. Add me if you like.

Nipo

More of the good players would be using spawn beacons if they weren't trying to grind gun unlocks and ability challenges.

I often go and set up a spawn point, then when I die I switch to a class I actually want to play. But even this becomes annoying after a while to try to keep up with spawn points. Having a loadout dedicated to spawn beacons at all times for someone who has played a lot of the game just feels pointless when you'd rather be working on turrets or supply boxes or playing a whole different class.

I'm looking forward to finally getting the last of my shield kills so I can go back to playing support and turrets/spawn like I enjoy. Hopefully by this weekend.

As it is I place a spawn beacon then suicide to play assault.

RoeBear

I can't agree more with this post. Especially the last paragraph. They have to sort the spawn camping out.

To be honest, with team chat now enabled and if you can talk to at least two other people the spawn system is fine. If you're ever being spawned camp just have (optimally) three people use teleport with the sniper. You'll take people out and throw their camping completely out of whack. Gallager and I were in a match that was getting spawn camped out the wazoo and in about thirty seconds their spawn camping fell apart.

bLaiSe

To be honest, with team chat now enabled and if you can talk to at least two other people the spawn system is fine. If you're ever being spawned camp just have (optimally) three people use teleport with the sniper. You'll take people out and throw their camping completely out of whack. Gallager and I were in a match that was getting spawn camped out the wazoo and in about thirty seconds their spawn camping fell apart.
Yeah, with a team it's easy to overcome it but what could Average Joe do who just wants to have fun with random people and has voice chat turned off by default?

Yeah, with a team it's easy to overcome it but what could Average Joe do who just wants to have fun with random people and has voice chat turned off by default?
A huge mistake not to have team chat at launch and possibly an even bigger one to add it in later only to keep it disabled by default.

There's a long line of headscratchers with this game, but thats one of the weirder ones.

Grinchy

Banned
I still haven't even enabled the chat yet. I typically play in a party, but the one time I looked in the menu for the voice chat option, I couldn't even find it. They really should turn it on by default though.

I still haven't even enabled the chat yet. I typically play in a party, but the one time I looked in the menu for the voice chat option, I couldn't even find it. They really should turn it on by default though.

The voice chat option only appears when you are already playing MP and access the options then. If you go into options from the main menu, it doesn't appear (at least, not for me). Seriously, Guerilla, what are you thinking?

On a side note, Happy New Year to my fellow GAFfers. Looking forward to racking up wins with you guys in 2014!

leng jai

The voice chat option only appears when you are already playing MP and access the options then. If you go into options from the main menu, it doesn't appear (at least, not for me). Seriously, Guerilla, what are you thinking?

On a side note, Happy New Year to my fellow GAFfers. Looking forward to racking up wins with you guys in 2014!

WTF? No wonder I couldn't find it.

Indeed. Happy New Year guys! Now that the Open Weekend is almost over maybe now I can get a full party going. XD

I never really had a problem with spawn camping unless the skill between teams was way lopsided. Are you guys mostly playing warzone? I'm always in classic that has less players so maybe that's why.

I never really had a problem with spawn camping unless the skill between teams was way lopsided. Are you guys mostly playing warzone? I'm always in classic that has less players so maybe that's why.
I've played a lot of solo matches and find that unlike classic warzone I don't get rolled by singular parties as much in 24 player warzone. If you've got a party and a decent sized one at that, the smaller the player size of the match the more your advantage.

So yeah, I only play classic with gaffers, which is pretty rare.

Omfg the torture is over the open weekend competition is over at 3am est time roebear and I finished a match and it booted us out me roebear baliis fullrecovery dibzz and blasiehun are in the top 20 and all I can say after this experience is never agian it was the worst torture ever!

RedAssedApe

Banned
Omfg the torture is over the open weekend competition is over at 3am est time roebear and I finished a match and it booted us out me roebear baliis fullrecovery dibzz and blasiehun are in the top 20 and all I can say after this experience is never agian it was the worst torture ever!

Lol be funny if you guys did went through all that and end up sick of the game. Dibs on ur DLC? Lol

bLaiSe

Never again. I just hope it was worth it. If they give us a DLC voucher or a t-shirt or something petty like that, I'm gonna fucking rage!

ref

I have no idea what competition you guys are talking about. I miss my PS4 guys, hoping to hear something soon about when I'll be getting mine back.

What's the population like now? I imagine after Christmas/free weekend the population surely must have increased across the board...

Rubenov

Any GAFer in the top 5?

I have no idea what competition you guys are talking about. I miss my PS4 guys, hoping to hear something soon about when I'll be getting mine back.

What's the population like now? I imagine after Christmas/free weekend the population surely must have increased across the board...

Guerilla set up a special competition Warzone for a few days and the people with the top scores (top 20?) win DLC (maybe the voice packs or drone skins?).

RoeBear

Lol be funny if you guys did went through all that and end up sick of the game. Dibs on ur DLC? Lol

Gallagher and I played a classic match after it was over...

Guerilla set up a special competition Warzone for a few days and the people with the top scores (top 20?) win DLC (maybe the voice packs or drone skins?).

Top 100 wins DLC top 20 wins "something more" whatever that is.
Any GAFer in the top 5?
Finished #2 might have been first if I didn't disconnect from 10+ matches.

I mean, no one even goes around with other team mates (which is something that is fun and gives you more chances to survive).

I'm guilty of this because most players don't know how to play in group and there's not worse thing than thinking your back is covered because there are four people beside you.

The game also lack a decent way to tell another skilled player you want to be his buddy and to stick together.

Gallagher and I played a classic match after it was over...

Top 100 wins DLC top 20 wins "something more" whatever that is.

Finished #2 might have been first if I didn't disconnect from 10+ matches.

#2 is still awesome. Hope you get something good! It might be a free Season Pass. There's not much else available right now.

RoeBear

#2 is still awesome. Hope you get something good! It might be a free Season Pass. There's not much else available right now.

Honestly I hope the DLC is all the add on stuff like the voices and skins. I hope the top 20 is something physical like maybe those custom controllers or something along those lines. Gallagher was right on the money in saying this competition is open to all PS4 users so top 100 wasn't just people who bought the game, or at least they didn't have to be.

Honestly I hope the DLC is all the add on stuff like the voices and skins. I hope the top 20 is something physical like maybe those custom controllers or something along those lines. Gallagher was right on the money in saying this competition is open to all PS4 users so it's being top 100 wasn't just people who bought the game.

Guerilla should give top 20 custom headsets. That would be a good way to advertise that this game has voice chat now.

test_account

XP-39C²
Damn it! I misread the ending time earlier :( I thought it was said that it ended at 10:00am PST, but it was "January 1 0:00 PST". In other words, it ended 9 hours before i thought it would end. That feels annoying right now, since last night was on exactly 100th place, but i was tired, so i went to bed, thinking i had the whole day today to play (i live in Europe, so 10:00am PST would be like 7:00PM here). I'm sure i got bumped down a few places before the competition ended. I think that the prices are just some DLC that everyone can buy for those who got within 21th - 100th place, but it would be cool to get it for free after "working" to get it.

How do you feel about a competition like this by the way? I have mixed feelings. On one hand, its cool that you can win free stuff for playing much, and i did enjoy playing. On the other hand, it put some extra pressure on me since i know that i have a chance to win. I prefer it better to just play relaxed whenever i want without having anything hanging over me, so to speak.

Honestly I hope the DLC is all the add on stuff like the voices and skins. I hope the top 20 is something physical like maybe those custom controllers or something along those lines. Gallagher was right on the money in saying this competition is open to all PS4 users so top 100 wasn't just people who bought the game, or at least they didn't have to be.
If there was any physical prices, wouldnt those be limited to US only? I feel that those competitions things are pretty much always limited to people who live in the US. Wasnt that the case with Uncharted 2 Fortune Edition and those trophy auctions?

Jigorath

Banned
This is my first Killzone and I'm surprised at how much fun I've been having. I figured BF4 would be main multiplayer game for PS4 but I've been playing this almost exclusively.

I would say that now, the only thing that annoys me on a regular basis - and boy, does it - is the absolute fuckery of grenade collision detection. Not half an hour ago, I had my Sickle out and spied a guy out of range; I doubled back behind a corner, cooked my grenade to perfection and lined up a nice trajectory... I kid you not, the Scout douche on my team could not have timed it any better. Seriously. It would have made a great Bish Banned gif.

The worst part is that, were the detection not so goddamn sketchy, it would have been a heart-in-throat moment and nothing more. I'm 99% positive that it had decent clearance, but no. It's as if you're playing with 23 other obese Quasimodos wearing invisible blast suits and tsunami-capable floaties.

I think I inhaled and screamed at the same time. It wasn't good. It's just utterly aggravating and takes you out of an otherwise brilliant experience.

Grinchy

Banned
^hahahaha god I can't help but laugh my ass off while reading that

The immense anger that comes from grenade throws like that is something we can all share.

Scout

1. didnt they allow that in kz3 mp?
2. yeah that needs to be fixed
3. agreed as well

also i feel that the Cloak ability needs a buff, as it isn't stealthy enough. even when your walking slowly other players can make you out even from a distance.

God if you think the grenades are bad...

I swear I kill myself more often with the grenade launcher than enemies. I don't care if they nerf it by reducing ammo but god damn I wanna be able to shoot it without it blowing up as soon as it leaves the launcher cos there's a a bit of wall in 20ft radius

ZServ

This. There shouldn't have been online trophies. Instead, they should have had more challenge trophies, going up to say ~700 or so. And then allow them to be unlocked in Botzone/Campaign (if they aren't already).

Grinchy

Banned
I'm guilty of this... :-/

Oh dude, me too. I get so angry when I see no spawn points, yet there I am grinding stun blasts.

Last night I played support with the Pulver and the spawn beacon, and my team won 5 maps in a row. I stopped playing it, and we got destroyed. If you have a couple people putting up good spawn beacons on your team, you're just going to win. But I also want to max out my other damn abilities lol

Oh dude, me too. I get so angry when I see no spawn points, yet there I am grinding stun blasts.

Last night I played support with the Pulver and the spawn beacon, and my team won 5 maps in a row. I stopped playing it, and we got destroyed. If you have a couple people putting up good spawn beacons on your team, you're just going to win. But I also want to max out my other damn abilities lol

Especially considering how bloody quickly spawn points levels up compared to so many of the other (shitty) abilities...

test_account

XP-39C²
Maxing out spawns should have been like 2000 people or so. And i agree that it probably would be better to tie a trophy to completing like 1000 challenges instead of maxing out all abilities. I guess that the idea of maxing out all the abilities is to keep the game a bit more variated.

EDIT: Having a trophy with 1000 challenges would still result in people grinding though, but i think its quicker to reach level 1000 instead of maxing out all abilities .

1. didnt they allow that in kz3 mp?
2. yeah that needs to be fixed
3. agreed as well

also i feel that the Cloak ability needs a buff, as it isn't stealthy enough. even when your walking slowly other players can make you out even from a distance.
Yeah, it was possible in Killzone 2 as well. You could use weapons while being cloaked. In Killzone 2 and 3, you were much more visible while moving and being cloaked though, so cloaking was only effective when camping.

If they should remove the visuals of echo scanning, they would have to come up with another solution that gave you a indication that you have been tagged. I know that it shows on the minimap, but i dont think everyone keeps checking that all the time.

Scout

Assault
-Buddy Drone needs to be reworked so it doesn't actively tries to murder/kamikaze you
-Failing the above, Buddy Drone and Air Support need to switch classes
-Nano shield not requiring a second prompt to activate
-Access to some of the heavy weaponry (Sickle and Purger would be my pick) while removing some redundant ones (Breacher, Keyzer, Vlug)

Support
-Voltage needs serious nerfs across the board. Shot charge, delay, damage, blast radius, reserve ammo, spread, range
-Larger fire spread for Purger, increased rev time
-Air Support damage reduced, drop detection on cloaked units, range reduced, uptime reduced
-No despawn for deployed Supply Box (as long as loadout is active) , visual cues for own team
-Removal of certain heavy weapons (Sickle, Purger), Breacher as the replacement shotgun
-Limited use on Spawn Beacon, or uptime reduced
-Turret firing angle reduced

-Only the bolt rifle should be usable during cloaked. Sidearms too, if they dont get buffed too much
-Abolutely NO to SMG's. It undermines the class roles
-Enemy tactical echo not showing sounds fine. When maxed out, it will presumably need the risky counter it has now.

-Nano shield is fine. Second placement helps counter spamming it so fast, requiring players to be thoughtful of their placements
-The assault weapons are fine. Why get rid of them?

-Isnt voltage unwieldly? Seems to be very situational
-I disagree with any kind of nerf for Air support, unless you are willing to allow a defensive buff. It's simply not the fault of the developers if pub players cant use common sense. Any good team can have an easy 2-3 players carrying rockets.
-disagree with beacon/turret nerfs...why would you want that? There are so many ways to disable turrets. Literally every class can carry something to defend themselves from turrets.

I actually would like to see some other kinds of buffs for ammo boxes. Something more fubdamental. Even if you can see them on radar, there is no convenient use for ammo when you can revive yourself a full clip. There is no use for full health, when you simply revive full health.

-The animation for ammo supplying needs to be a lot faster
-There should not be a destruct option. Rather, replace it with a "Move" option. Or reduce the downtime on the cooldown. Make supplying more covenient any way possible
-Supply boxes should be the only way to resupply grenades and rockets. Reviving really needs to stop giving you grenades

Jarate

Banned
Is anyone going to be playing tonight. I havent played in a shit ton of time, and would like to at least talk to people while playing

Whats the current meta going on right now?

Also, am I the only person here who thinks the ADS system is incredibly useless in this game, why is it necessary when everyone moves so slowly and everyone is so big. No auto-aim is awesome, but ADS always slows down games heavily

Is anyone going to be playing tonight. I havent played in a shit ton of time, and would like to at least talk to people while playing

Whats the current meta going on right now?

Also, am I the only person here who thinks the ADS system is incredibly useless in this game, why is it necessary when everyone moves so slowly and everyone is so big. No auto-aim is awesome, but ADS always slows down games heavily

ADS is pretty much needed in practically any situation in this game

And yeah, how is the game's population? I havent been on in a while.

Radec

fucking sucks when you're the only one on your team planting spawn beacons.

others doesn't even use their turrets.
LLShC.gif

Tau

fucking sucks when you're the only one on your team planting spawn beacons.

others doesn't even use their turrets.
LLShC.gif

This also gets on my nerves, players get fixated in playing one way. The only way I get others team players to spare a spawn is basically yelling down the mic and giving abuse to them.

Top Bottom