• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Discussion

Ha, I never tried touching the screen. I didn't last long on remote play, was just checking out the feature. Doubt I'll use it much, if ever. Looks like a low quality youtube video.

Im pretty sure he means the touchPAD not the screen. The control mapping by default is:

R1 = Top Right of Touch Pad
L1 = Top Left of Touch Pad
R3 = Bottom Right of Touch Pad
L3 = Bottom Left of Touch Pad

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Im pretty sure he means the touchPAD not the screen. The control mapping by default is:

The rear touch pad? I tried that and it worked for R3/L3 but not for R1/L1. Oh well, not like I'll be spending much time with it.

Sophia

That is not the default mapping in Killzone for remote play. It's different from every other game in this regard. Only L3 and R3 are bound to the back touchpad. L1 and R1 are bound to the touchscreen.

Mind you, it wouldn't be any better with the default setup.

leng jai

This happened to me several times yesterday. Grenades are bad enough as they are in this game with their random bouncing off invisible walls, this just adds insult to injury.

I don't know how I feel about reducing the throwing time on grenades. They're already pretty powerful and hard to avoid. They definitely need to fix whatever the hell is causing it to ricochet off thin air half the time.

"We currently have no plans to allow players to completely remap controls, but we are looking into adding multiple control schemes that should cater to most of your needs."

Ugh. This is one of the two really big issues with remote play right now. I hope they reconsider.

We need an option to map the special abilities to something other than the d-pad. After 350 matches I still find it clunky that I have to stop moving to use them. It made me stop using the assault stun completely.

How do you even throw grenades or change fire modes on remote play? I couldn't figure it out.

The back touchscreen. Yes it's as terrible to use as it sounds. It's one of the major downfall of remote play along with the lag.

Reduced blur in MP and better geometry detection is good for me too. If they bring back the M82, even as just a skin for the Rumbler I'll be so happy. The bolt action sniper would be cool to see return too.

Yep, geometry detection is probably the most important for me. It's janky as anything in its current state.

As for the M82, I want it just as much as you do, RoboPlato, but a skin for the Rumbler? I don't know if I could reconcile that accuracy/fire rate with such an iconic gun. It's sacrilege!

In my mind, I'm feeling that the M82 would be a slightly faster, stronger, range-gimped Pulver. And more recoil, of course!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is it just me or is the jump button like really unresponsive sometimes?

The cover system, jumping, climbing, and sidiling are very unresponsive. Mercenary did those things better and I was SF was the same way. I love traversal stuff in FPS and it still feels weighty here, when it works.

Is it just me or is the jump button like really unresponsive sometimes?

Just you, dude. I was triple-jumpin'-death-from-abovin' all last night.

Nah, it's another thing that's actually really horrible. Sometimes you have to stop moving completely to get it to register.

Wasp

I got this game on launch day and I still haven't been able to play a single match yet without being booted out mid match. The good news is Guerilla have discovered what the cause of it is. This is what they posted on 23rd December:

We have found a bug in the MTU detection code which can cause the 10101 error. We have already deployed a server fix that fixes half of the issue.For the other half we're preparing a patch. To work around the issue please ensure that you have a MTU of 1445 or higher (we estimate that 99% of the people have this). Please keep the MTU setting on your PS4 on Automatic and check your router's MTU settings.

leng jai

Yeah overall the game feels unresponsive and erratic at times. Sometimes my gun doesn't scope when I press L1 but that's pretty rare.

Not sure if it's a recent thing or always been there but I'm getting the melee-ed from 2 metres away thing that was notorious in MAG. Pretty infuriating.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah overall the game feels unresponsive and erratic at times. Sometimes my gun doesn't scope when I press L1 but that's pretty rare.

Not sure if it's a recent thing or always been there but I'm getting the melee-ed from 2 metres away thing that was notorious in MAG. Pretty infuriating.

Never had an issue with that but it took me a long time to realize that if you try to reload while going in or out of ADS it won't even register the button press. You have to be completely out of the aiming animation. Took some getting used to.

Personalization for Characters [under consideration]
Killzone Shadow Fall now allows you to customize your combat automata, player voice and player card, and we hope to introduce new personalization options in the future. Implementing personalization options without impacting game performance is tricky though, and gameplay features currently have priority for us.

Is it just me, or is all of this still unavailable on the store?

Grinchy

Banned
Lag has been horrible for me ever since the free weekend. No issues before but it's almost unplayable now :(

I was even getting some bad lag before the free weekend, but it's been consistently shitty since then. I actually haven't been playing very much lately as a result. It's too fucking frustrating. Fix this shit, Guerilla.

leng jai

Yeah the game lags consistently now. My kills often take several seconds to register and sometimes I have to unload full clips into people at point blank range before they go down.

torontoml

It's pretty much all I use as well, best weapon for holding down areas which tends to be a lot of the modes. I sometimes switch to assault and the rumbler during TDM and beacon retrieval depending on how my team is performing.

Come first in a lot of games, for both mission points and kills, so it works for me. But I'm also constantly reviving and placing spawns.

V AA D E R

Neo Member
So.....is this game's MP worth it?

I rarely ever play FPS for the campaign and Killzone has not brought enough to the table to make it an exception to the rule. But I'm desperate for a go-to multiplayer shooter considering I've burned out on Call of Duty.

leng jai

So.....is this game's MP worth it?

I rarely ever play FPS for the campaign and Killzone has not brought enough to the table to make it an exception to the rule. But I'm desperate for a go-to multiplayer shooter considering I've burned out on Call of Duty.

Yeah. Definitely the best infantry based shooter out right now IMO.

V AA D E R

Neo Member
Yeah. Definitely the best infantry based shooter out right now IMO.
How does the game handle? It's been very hard to pick up other multiplayer FPSes because in terms of movement and fluidity they all pale in comparison to CoD. Recently gave Battlefield a try and it's the clunkiest mess I've ever played, even at 60fps.

leng jai

How does the game handle? It's been very hard to pick up other multiplayer FPSes because in terms of movement and fluidity they all pale in comparison to CoD. Recently gave Battlefield a try and it's the clunkiest mess I've ever played, even at 60fps.

Well by the sounds of that you might want to try the game first. It's even "clunkier" than Battlefield because there's a weight to the player so you can't just strafe and jump around like ninjas ala COD. There's also no aim assist and players can take significantly more hits before they die.

Prob stay away. I hate the way COD feel. This feel completely different and I love it

V AA D E R

Neo Member
Well by the sounds of that you might want to try the game first. It's even "clunkier" than Battlefield because there's a weight to the player so you can't just strafe and jump around like ninjas ala COD. There's also no aim assist and players can take significantly more hits before they die.

Prob stay away. I hate the way COD feel. This feel completely different and I love it

Hmmmm...I think I'll cave and give it a shot regardless, just because I really, really need a new shooter to fill the void until Titanfall drops. Appreciate the insight.

ZehDon

Lag has been horrible for me ever since the free weekend. No issues before but it's almost unplayable now :(
Damn it, I was hoping it was just my internet connection being stupid for a few days! I've definitely been feeling this, to the point that it's becoming increasingly difficult to actually want to play the game. Melee is all but impossible due to the delay, sniping is an exercise in frustration, and the amount of times I've walked around a corner and died because the enemy opened fire and killed me before my game has caught up made me turf my brand new AU$100.00 controller across the room. Only Dark Souls has managed such a feat.

I'm not sure what has caused it, but the lag is probably around 200ms at the moment. Anything above 50ms is unplayable in a FPS. As an Aussie, I've gotten used to 80%+ of console games being unplayable online due to the massive amounts of lag. But, I figured now that we're paying for PSN, we'd be enjoying a better infrastructure. Oh naive little ZehDon, how simple you are!

Grinchy

Banned
When you combine the shit lag that the game is going through with the fact that the game runs at 15fps on some of the maps in 24 player rooms, this shit is completely unplayable. WTF happened? This shit was so smooth when the PS4 launched. Granted, the 24 player rooms always ran like horseshit, but there wasn't this insane amount of lag. People are teleporting all over the damn map lately.

Even Classic Warzone is a lagfest.

leng jai

15fps is stretching it a bit. I play 24 player TDM a lot and the FPS doesn't really feel like it ever goes below 25 besides some random grenades which reduce the it about 5FPS.

If you don't like the movement of Battlefield, then you won't like Killzone. Both of them are more realistic and immersive than COD imo; COD plays like a gun strapped to a dolly that wheels you around the levels. No sense of weight whatsoever.

Grinchy

Banned
15fps is stretching it a bit. I play 24 player TDM a lot and the FPS doesn't really feel like it ever goes below 25 besides some random grenades which reduce the it about 5FPS.

I was definitely just exagerating but I would not be surprised to find out it dipped to 20 or even a couple frames below in certain spots. I was just playing on The Remains and it was unplayable. It honestly looked like Blighttown in Dark Souls on PS3. I find that The Slums can get really bad too in 24 player rooms.

Then you factor in the lag too and suddenly it's time to sell the PS4 and move to Alaska. I really want Digital Foundry to do a multiplayer framerate analysis so that it can become public knowledge how bad it can get. Then GG would be more inclined to do something about it.

Alienous

It's not worth using. While most games are playable at an acceptable level on remote play, and some are genuinely playable the entire way (See: Knack), Killzone is virtually unplayable thanks to input lag and poorly mapped controls.

The campaign is totally playable. But I wouldn't dare go online with the analog nubs and input lag.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I was definitely just exagerating but I would not be surprised to find out it dipped to 20 or even a couple frames below in certain spots. I was just playing on The Remains and it was unplayable. It honestly looked like Blighttown in Dark Souls on PS3. I find that The Slums can get really bad too in 24 player rooms.

Then you factor in the lag too and suddenly it's time to sell the PS4 and move to Alaska. I really want Digital Foundry to do a multiplayer framerate analysis so that it can become public knowledge how bad it can get. Then GG would be more inclined to do something about it.

I haven't played 24 player too much but I've only seen the game dip below 30 once and that was when four people unleashes stun blasts as multiple grenades went off in a 24 player match. The framerate dips seem worse than they are because it's so inconsistent. If it was locked at 30 they would only be noticeable in severe cases but the variability kills the fluidity. Campaign is at least pretty consistent so it's not noticeable as much but the fluctuations in MP can be pretty huge.

johntown

Banned
It's pretty much all I use as well, best weapon for holding down areas which tends to be a lot of the modes. I sometimes switch to assault and the rumbler during TDM and beacon retrieval depending on how my team is performing.

Come first in a lot of games, for both mission points and kills, so it works for me. But I'm also constantly reviving and placing spawns.
To each his own but I disagree and purger users are easy kills IMO. I mainly use speed boost with the Keyzer or breacher. It is just to slow and bulky for my play style but if it works for others great.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
To each his own but I disagree and purger users are easy kills IMO. I mainly use speed boost with the Keyzer or breacher. It is just to slow and bulky for my play style but if it works for others great.

I agree with this. They're slow and the sound of them spinning up the gun to be prepared gives them away. It doesn't gel with my play style at all.

Damn it, I was hoping it was just my internet connection being stupid for a few days! I've definitely been feeling this, to the point that it's becoming increasingly difficult to actually want to play the game. Melee is all but impossible due to the delay, sniping is an exercise in frustration, and the amount of times I've walked around a corner and died because the enemy opened fire and killed me before my game has caught up made me turf my brand new AU$100.00 controller across the room. Only Dark Souls has managed such a feat.

I'm not sure what has caused it, but the lag is probably around 200ms at the moment. Anything above 50ms is unplayable in a FPS. As an Aussie, I've gotten used to 80%+ of console games being unplayable online due to the massive amounts of lag. But, I figured now that we're paying for PSN, we'd be enjoying a better infrastructure. Oh naive little ZehDon, how simple you are!

Def know that Dark Souls feel,

As an Aussie too, havent been getting a lot of lag but it definately has increase since the open weekend. I killed someone 4 times with a melee attack and they didnt die it was more funny than annouying though.

on a side-note, did anyone see this:

http://www.killzone.com/en_US/blog/...te-response-to-the-top-18-feedback-items.html

probs old news but just in case anyone missed it.

Take the time to adjust and you will be rewarded greatly.

There's no better game on the market right now that has engaging combat like Killzone. Unlike CoD, your shots require finesse and skill against your opponents. You do not die instantly.

The feeling of getting a kill in Killzone MP is extremely rewarding. So much so that other games feel absolutely dull in comparison. It also helps that Killzone: Shadow Fall doesn't have auto-aim and makes great use out of the analog sticks. Controls wonderfully, IMHO, just don't expect to be able to do a 360 degree turn in a fraction of a second.

johntown

Banned
Def know that Dark Souls feel,

As an Aussie too, havent been getting a lot of lag but it definately has increase since the open weekend. I killed someone 4 times with a melee attack and they didnt die it was more funny than annouying though.

on a side-note, did anyone see this:

http://www.killzone.com/en_US/blog/...te-response-to-the-top-18-feedback-items.html

probs old news but just in case anyone missed it.
Clan support will be great and I cannot wait for more tournaments!

Everybody go to the link and vote up making spawn beacons the primary ability!!!!! This in itself would drastically improve the game.

Just started playing the MP for the fist time and got this random ass deth from abow kill, thought it looked pretty cool...
kz6_by_xbulletz-d70l1k4.gif

Also, is there any way to join servers that have the shield disabled?

I am starting to put a bit more time into this game and I am liking it. The controls took some adjusting, and I still only have shitty guns, but I think this game is going to scratch the itch that got burnt out on CoD. I'm still learning WTF to do in most of the game modes though.

leng jai

I am starting to put a bit more time into this game and I am liking it. The controls took some adjusting, and I still only have shitty guns, but I think this game is going to scratch the itch that got burnt out on CoD. I'm still learning WTF to do in most of the game modes though.

You have access to all the guns from the beginning.

The cover system, jumping, climbing, and sidiling are very unresponsive. Mercenary did those things better and I was SF was the same way. I love traversal stuff in FPS and it still feels weighty here, when it works.
Robo Plato your Avatar!?

What Have you DONE!

Lol but seriously your avi made you

Even if it is an exaggeration, it reminds me of GG saying it runs at an almost consistent 60, except in super busy situations. Fucking liars! In the state its in I'd rather it be locked at 30.

Grinchy

Banned
Even if it is an exaggeration, it reminds me of GG saying it runs at an almost consistent 60, except in super busy situations. Fucking liars! In the state its in I'd rather it be locked at 30.

Yeah it makes me cringe when people say that it's a 60fps game online. It's 60fps as often as I have sex with Scarlett Johanssen. I like this game a lot, but I don't see any point in pretending it runs at a high framerate. The more it gets called out, the better chance we have of an improvement (though I consider a framerate boost pretty unlikely).

Just started playing the MP for the fist time and got this random ass deth from abow kill, thought it looked pretty cool...
kz6_by_xbulletz-d70l1k4.gif

Also, is there any way to join servers that have the shield disabled?

That's pretty awesome. I had an awesome one of those at The Factory that didn't record properly. I sprinted into a vent, and smoothly slid out of the hole near the vent opening. When I fell through that hole, there was an enemy below that I did the death from above to. The whole thing looked awesome and I wish I could have made a gif of it.

leng jai

Just got 3 MVPs in a row. You really need the points from the spawn beacon/reviving to get the most points in a game. Playing purely Assault doesn't usually rack up enough points.

Remote play isn't practical for me. How do you get your hands to fit into the little slots on a PSVita? My hands are all over the touchpad.

torontoml

90% of the time I've got it spooled up and ready to fire so I can usually start shooting before the other person brings their weapon up to its sights, now if I am running somewhere and come face to face with someone, I will likely lose but I have made it work. Had a 30000 SP classic warzone today with 9800 mission points, 72 kills and 14 deaths. Granted that doesn't happen often but my system works.

Top Bottom