• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Discussion

Grenade launcher as assault with speed boost was about the only thing that worked for me unless I was also running those guns.

*bows down* please tell me your secrets master...

I tried this once. I killed myself more than I got kills. Grenade launcher besides lag is the single biggest exercise in patience for me

Baliis

*bows down* please tell me your secrets master...

I tried this once. I killed myself more than I got kills. Grenade launcher besides lag is the single biggest exercise in patience for me

like 72 hours played over the open weekend with mostly the launcher is really all it took.

leng jai

I played a game on Forest where there was a guy who solely used the grenade launcher and got 35 kills and top player. Baffling to say the least.

I'm gonna buy this today, I think...

Hopefully it clicks. I've been playing Battlefield quite extensively for the last few years (all my friends are there, I'm good at it, I know it) but with each new game it moves farther away from what I actually want from a shooter. Too many stupid deaths. Too many balance issues. Too much OP lock-on no-skill weapons. Too many fucking snipers.

I'm going into KZ MP kind of blind... so not sure if it has all the same issues. We'll see in a few hours.

I started playing BF4 after KZ: Shadow Fall, and I have to say that I enjoy KZ so much more, even solo. Although I have yet to play BF4 with a full party. The gunplay is so much better, and no aim assist took me almost not time to get used to. Sniping kind of sucks in this game. You'll mostly run into snipers running around cloaked going for knife kills, and failing miserably.

Grinchy

Banned
I didn't even realize there was an MVP award lol

Is there somewhere where you can see how many you've gotten? Getting first place for me is as simple as playing support, but I wonder how often I've also gotten MVP.

I started playing BF4 after KZ: Shadow Fall, and I have to say that I enjoy KZ so much more, even solo. Although I have yet to play BF4 with a full party. The gunplay is so much better, and no aim assist took me almost not time to get used to. Sniping kind of sucks in this game. You'll mostly run into snipers running around cloaked going for knife kills, and failing miserably.
I hated sniping in this game until I forced myself to get all the gun unlocks. After playing a ton of Scout I really came to appreciate the Vultur.

Then, once I stopped playing Scout, I sucked with regular guns for a while haha

leng jai

I didn't even realize there was an MVP award lol

Is there somewhere where you can see how many you've gotten? Getting first place for me is as simple as playing support, but I wonder how often I've also gotten MVP.

In the career menu in the general game awards tab. I have 37 so far out of about 350 games but I mainly play TDM which means it's impossible to get half the time.

I'm pretty sure people think they are 100% invisible in stealth. Only to explain all the head on rambos every match.

I hated sniping in this game until I forced myself to get all the gun unlocks. After playing a ton of Scout I really came to appreciate the Vultur.

Then, once I stopped playing Scout, I sucked with regular guns for a while haha
Maybe when I get through with assault and support my opinion will change. Just saying that it's not as ridiculous as it can get in BF or COD, and thank god for that.

sunnz

So how is everyone doing with no auto aim?

I personally love it. Takes a little getting used ( I found it easy, but my mates didn't like it) to but not having to fight auto aim ( something that happens too much in games like BF and COD) is very nice and since it's a game wide setting ( no one can enable it) makes it a lot more fun since it isn't all about who reacts first but is about who stays calm and shoots effectively.

I personally love it. Takes a little getting used ( I found it easy, but my mates didn't like it) to but not having to fight auto aim ( something that happens too much in games like BF and COD) is very nice and since it's a game wide setting ( no one can enable it) makes it a lot more fun since it isn't all about who reacts first but is about who stays calm and shoots effectively.

After coming off a game like UC3, which has ridiculous aim assist, I love it. Aim assist can do more harm than good IMO.

Rubenov

My style of shooting. I have the freedom to place the bullets where I want to instead of having this magnet messing with mah gun.

Grinchy

Banned

More console games need to do it.

And this game needs to disable the magnetism for nano shields. I don't get why there's aim assist when you have a nano shield near your crosshairs in a game without aim assist...

RoeBear

The last game I played as much as this was MGO2. I didn't even think about auto aim till everyone was talking about it. I guess I prefer not to have it.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think the controls in Killzone Shadow Fall are excellent, so i dont miss aim assist at all :)

By the way, its possible to turn off aim assist in the Call of Duty games. You can choose this in the option menu. I'm not sure if it can be turned off in the Battlefield games though.

leng jai

Lagging hard today. Wish they would make object placing less of a crapshoot. I love dying because a rock on the ground is blocking my shield from being used.

I think the controls in Killzone Shadow Fall are excellent, so i dont miss aim assist at all :)

By the way, its possible to turn off aim assist in the Call of Duty games. You can choose this in the option menu. I'm not sure if it can be turned off in the Battlefield games though.
The problem is though it would be purposefully gimping yourself as long as it's enabled for other players.

Grinchy

Banned
Lagging hard today. Wish they would make object placing less of a crapshoot. I love dying because a rock on the ground is blocking my shield from being used.

That always frustrates the crap out of me with turrets. I'll just be spamming the button over and over again while moving around in an area, hoping that one of the 20 presses will finally place it. And then you get teammates running in and blocking placement too lol

Exactly the point. I would have liked to learned how to play without autoaim in COD before but the combination of lag and my mediocre skill meant auto aim was a must.

And I agree with those of you above... Lag has gotten really bad. Today I was strafing people with speed and breacher. There was a bunch of the three guys and the first guy I shot only died by the time I got to the third guy. The worst part is when I go up against guys with buddy drones, they (just the drone) seem to be able to kill me in 2 seconds. Wtf?! Normally those drones are shite.

Also am I the only one or do other people mainly find themselves playing TDM most of the time as I just can't hack playing objectives with randoms. They are just SO stupid... It's infuriating. Normally I'm the kinda guy who avoids big firefights but I'm routinely forced into those situations with objectives. It's almost impossible when I'm backed up by a terrible team. Also one of my biggest peeves are engineers who refuse to revive you and instead just choose to run past. Assholes.

Exactly the point. I would have liked to learned how to play without autoaim in COD before but the combination of lag and my mediocre skill meant auto aim was a must.

And I agree with those of you above... Lag has gotten really bad. Today I was strafing people with speed and breacher. There was a bunch of the three guys and the first guy I shot only died by the time I got to the third guy. The worst part is when I go up against guys with buddy drones, they (just the drone) seem to be able to kill me in 2 seconds. Wtf?! Normally those drones are shite.

Also am I the only one or do other people mainly find themselves playing TDM most of the time as I just can't hack playing objectives with randoms. They are just SO stupid... It's infuriating. Normally I'm the kinda guy who avoids big firefights but I'm routinely forced into those situations with objectives. It's almost impossible when I'm backed up by a terrible team. Also one of my biggest peeves are engineers who refuse to revive you and instead just choose to run past. Assholes.

I think I've played a total of maybe 10 TDM games

just not for me. Every match turns into spawnrapezone

Rubenov

Exactly the point.

Yep that's me, although I still plant a few Spawn Beacons in Team Deathmatch to avoid getting spawn camped. Amazing almost no one in my team of randoms ever seem to get this.

I really wanted to like the multiplayer in this game as I loved Killzone 2 and even found fun in Killzone 3 MP, but man, something about the blurriness of multiplayer and the delay when registering kills just makes me drift back to battlefield and even Ghosts over this.

A real shame, it was my most anticipated PS4 game. The single player i think is still pretty fun. Not regretting buying it at all.

What do you guys think it was about Killzone 2 MP that guerilla just can't (or doesn't want to) recreate? For me I think the slower pace, more wide open areas, and use of cover is something they got away from in favor of more arena-style maps that have numerous blind spots at any moment.

ZehDon

...The worst part is when I go up against guys with buddy drones, they (just the drone) seem to be able to kill me in 2 seconds. Wtf?! Normally those drones are shite...
Happens to me all the time. What I think has happened here is that the lag messes with the way each client handles "server" updates. You saw and heard it shoot a mere handful of bullets, but in actuality it shot you enough times to kill you - that drone was shooting at you before your client updated and displayed it for you. I've noticed this happening a lot when running around corners or choke points. One or two shots from a pistol takes me down, non-headshot, when in reality that player probably shot me twice before they were even drawn on my screen. Melee kills from two meters away is also a thing. I encountered this type of disparity a lot on early Xbox 360 games - Gears of War, in particular. Halo 3 was also pretty bad at it. It's just what happens when you cram international players into the same game, with internet connections of varying qualities.

I really wanted to like the multiplayer in this game as I loved Killzone 2 and even found fun in Killzone 3 MP, but man, something about the blurriness of multiplayer and the delay when registering kills just makes me drift back to battlefield and even Ghosts over this.

A real shame, it was my most anticipated PS4 game. The single player i think is still pretty fun. Not regretting buying it at all.

What do you guys think it was about Killzone 2 MP that guerilla just can't (or doesn't want to) recreate? For me I think the slower pace, more wide open areas, and use of cover is something they got away from in favor of more arena-style maps that have numerous blind spots at any moment.
From what I remember KZ2 didn't have the cover system in mp.

In the career menu in the general game awards tab. I have 37 so far out of about 350 games but I mainly play TDM which means it's impossible to get half the time.

I'm pretty sure people think they are 100% invisible in stealth. Only to explain all the head on rambos every match.

97, also mainly TDM. I play as assault, I don't think i would be able to consistently get the most kills using another class.

Yes people think they are completely invisible when cloaked. I was playing TDM on Park, the room was pretty empty and couldn't find anyone to shoot so I decided stand in front of their orange safe zone wall on the upper level(I know it's bad but I was bored) A sniper came up and was trying to shoot me through the wall with no success, then the genius decided he would cloak himself right in front of me and hilariously try to slowly inch his way towards me in order to melee me. I stood there laughing with my sights aiming directly to his head, once I felt he was a little too close I shot him, I was in tears for a while after that.

Yup it can be turned off in BF4 as well, go to options, under gameplay you can turn off Aim Assist.

Rubenov

I was playing TDM on Park, the room was pretty empty and couldn't find anyone to shoot so I decided stand in front of their orange safe zone wall on the upper level(I know it's bad but I was bored) A sniper came up and was trying to shoot me through the wall with no success, then the genius decided he would cloak himself right in front of me and hilariously try to slowly inch his way towards me in order to melee me. I stood there laughing with my sights aiming directly to his head, once I felt he was a little too close I shot him, I was in tears for a while after that.

That was hilarious.

I'm starting to dislike the wall and forest. Especially forest. I see a sea of air drones everytime I look up when I play these maps

DirtyLarry

I have yet to even try the MP in SF, so I am definitely LTTP.
Can I jump on and still enjoy it now? Or is it a game that I will automatically be overpowered by those who have been playing it since Day 1?

I have played previous KZ MP, mainly 2's MP and most recently Mercenary on the Vita, so I am not foreign to the MP of the series itself. If that means anything or not I do not know, just figured it is worth mentioning.

Killzone has so much more flavor than either COD and BF4. Been playing COD last few days and unless I'm in a super alert mood that game is just nuts. It's gotten ridiculous how easily u can die. And the aim assist is just too much.

Good lord wtf was with the lag tonight? Usually it will be just a few guys on the other team teleporting here and there, but not the whole team! Didn't think this game would ever make me rage so much.

Killzone has so much more flavor than either COD and BF4. Been playing COD last few days and unless I'm in a super alert mood that game is just nuts. It's gotten ridiculous how easily u can die. And the aim assist is just too much.
It really does. It boggles my mind when people say KZ has not variety or is bland compared to other modern FPS.

Good lord wtf was with the lag tonight? Usually it will be just a few guys on the other team teleporting here and there, but not the whole team! Didn't think this game would ever make me rage so much.

It really does. It boggles my mind when people say KZ has not variety or is bland compared to other modern FPS.

I played a little bit before the gym tonight and noticed it too. I would die literally as soon as I was seen by someone. A lot of times I didn't even hear gunshots just instadeath.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah it really sucks not being able to play this game online lately because of the insane lag. Hopefully they are actually going to do something about it and it's not just what we can come to expect from now on.

ZehDon

Disliking The Forest is natural and a sure sign that you're becoming a man...
I find the Forest just produces weird games; I can tolerate it. I'm curious to see what everyone's favourites and least favourites are - the lack of voice chat makes it really hard to get a feel for the community. I enjoy The Remains and The Park the most, and I can live through The Forest and The Factory. But I detest The Slums and The Wall. Especially The Slums. It's like everything I hate about CoD condensed into a single map of being shot in the back for twenty minutes.

The spire (? I think that's what it's called) makes me want to throw my controller at the tv. It feels too chaotic and disorienting but maybe i just need to play it more and feel my way around it.

At least the lag sometimes works in my favor. Sometimes I get the the kill when I probably shouldn't have. Times when it's multiple people against me. I just hate that I was ammo shooting somebody after they died because it didn't register on my end yet and end up using my whole clip or switching to my pistol and unloading on somebody who is already technically dead

The lag is weird in this game. I headshot a guy with the Sickle but then immediately die because he stabbed me.

On a good note, I'm very close to getting Support King Tier 4! Spent a lot of time with a couple GAFfers on TDM(which I hate and rarely play) grinding Air Drone and Judaz kills.

The spire (? I think that's what it's called) makes me want to throw my controller at the tv. It feels too chaotic and disorienting but maybe i just need to play it more and feel my way around it.

It's not bad when you learn the map. There are like three areas connected by corridors and a large area above them. That higher level has bridges connecting it to all the other areas, so you can either use the corridors to move quickly or take the long way and flank with the bridges. It's also the preferred map for Drone Rodeo.

I find the Forest just produces weird games; I can tolerate it. I'm curious to see what everyone's favourites and least favourites are - the lack of voice chat makes it really hard to get a feel for the community. I enjoy The Remains and The Park the most, and I can live through The Forest and The Factory. But I detest The Slums and The Wall. Especially The Slums. It's like everything I hate about CoD condensed into a single map of being shot in the back for twenty minutes.

The game has voice chat. You just wouldn't know it because it disabled by default.

My favorite map would have to be The Divide; it just clicks with me. The Remains is my second fav, and of course neither map ever gets picked. :/

The Wall and Slums are hot garbage. The Forest can be great when you're not being air drone spammed to death, and they rest I'm okay with.

I hate the factory, penthouse, forest, slums, and most of all station the most garbage map in the game its too big. This is all thanks to the open weekend competition and spending about 3days consecutively and in total of game time on them repeatedly!

I hate the factory, penthouse, forest, slums, and most of all station the most garbage map in the game its too big. This is all thanks to the open weekend competition and spending about 3 days consequently and in total of game time on them repeatedly!

The prize you won? A shirt that says "I played The Station all weekend long and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."

I think people are a little blind to the faults of KZ2 when they say this. Remember the boosting rocket firing assaults with 50% more health? Remember the server browser missing a lot of information, like saying custom weapons but having no way to actually see which weapons were disabled? Or that it's set for each mission to last 30 minutes but you can't find out until you're in the match. And only being able to disable a whole class' badges instead of just the primary or secondary one. The spawn grenades that couldn't be destroyed throwing you into a firefight facing the wrong way? That the basecamp turrets were destructible- killing you with the explosion in your spawn and allowing the enemy team to even move in and throw a spawn grenade in there. And the turrets being able to get headshots was infuriating.

The main things I feel KZ2 does better are having generally better maps, and I felt the class system worked a bit better. It was simpler with less abilities, and I thought it worked quite well to unlock the classes as you levelled up, getting you familiar with each. Smaller things I felt KZ2 did better would be the general personality of Radec/Narville giving you orders and the beacons being propaganda speakers, the proximity chat and clan system.

test_account

XP-39C²
The problem is though it would be purposefully gimping yourself as long as it's enabled for other players.
That is true, but i saw some comment earlier about having to fight aim-assist, so i just wanted to say that its possible to turn it off =)

Yup it can be turned off in BF4 as well, go to options, under gameplay you can turn off Aim Assist.
Good to know, thanks for the info =)

ThankeeSai

I played a little bit before the gym tonight and noticed it too. I would die literally as soon as I was seen by someone. A lot of times I didn't even hear gunshots just instadeath.

I was experiencing this last night, too. No gunshots and instadeath. In some cases, I would hear an explosion type sound along with my death like a grenade or when you get hit with the Fors, but it would say the enemy killed me with the Keyzer : /

Kind of off-topic, but I want to play KZ2 again, and came across the KZ collection on amazon. And so I just discovered the original KZ got a HD remaster... So is the original any good?

RoeBear

I love the forest. And it's because I usually rally my team to spawn camp the other team.

I am the guy you guys hate.

I don't think I've been spawn camped but once since I got the game. I'm the one that throws a wrench in your teams plan and gets first on the leaderboard despite your team winning the game.

Top Bottom