• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Discussion

Lucid07

Does anyone else have trouble joining the second game after the voting for the next level? Everyone else seems to join the game and I'm still sat here on the voting screen.

Nipo

I was checking out the names of people recently and i came across this guy

How does one get a win/loss ratio of 12.8? Only play matches with a group? I think it is the highest I've run into.

The funny thing with base camping in TDM is that it doesn't even help you win. It's so easy to counter.

I finally played as Scout and it's fun, you don't rack up as much points as with the other classes but when you know the maps it's really easy to troll the other team.The punt is an awesome weapon too.

Hope the lag will not be bad today ...

Ikkarus

I'm trying to get 5 head shots with the Punt pistol which is proving incredibly difficult as I want the ACOG for it.

Does anyone have any good tips?

Loving the multiplayer, Scout is by far my favourite class, now if only more Support's would drop spawn beacons life would be peachy.

johntown

Banned
I was checking out the names of people recently and i came across this guy

How does one get a win/loss ratio of 12.8? Only play matches with a group? I think it is the highest I've run into.
Yeah he only plays with good people. He plays with one of the top clans and players in the game.

TyrantII

Kind of off-topic, but I want to play KZ2 again, and came across the KZ collection on amazon. And so I just discovered the original KZ got a HD remaster... So is the original any good?

Its very dated as far as FPS go. Story is serviceable if you want to see what led to the invasion of helgahn.

As part of the collection its a worthy bonus that runs well. But its got that early 2000 level design and AI. I wouldn't buy it just for that, but as a retrospective type bonus it was nice.

leng jai

It sucks I have to play a class I don't want to for over half the map because no other support players will give up their turrets/air drones. I don't mind using the pulver and getting a gazillion points but I find the Keyzer far more satisfying to use.

I like playing support but outside of the Pulver I can't get comfortable with the other weapons. Been working on getting Spoor kills, man is that difficult.

It sucks I have to play a class I don't want to for over half the map because no other support players will give up their turrets/air drones. I don't mind using the pulver and getting a gazillion points but I find the Keyzer far more satisfying to use.

YUP :(

Fortunately the Gatling gun mostly mitigates being stuck with the class that has the blandest weapon choices
That being said, I gotta switch classes anyways as i'm maxed out on support right now

TyrantII

Lag is getting really, really bad.

Like guy runs around and kills 5 people then dies from my shots 10 seconds earlier lag.

WTF is this crap. Why do developers even let people with 1000ms pings connect to game servers?

Can we track and banish them to their own hell, allowing us to play?

I hate the factory, penthouse, forest, slums, and most of all station the most garbage map in the game its too big. This is all thanks to the open weekend competition and spending about 3days consecutively and in total of game time on them repeatedly!

The prize you won? A shirt that says "I played The Station all weekend long and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."

Wow people hating my #1 MAP in KZSF The Station

Tsk tsk

And this is coming from the guy who despised the Metro in BF3

Grinchy

Banned
I miss this game so much. But the lag coming from its end and the lag coming from my soon-to-be ex-ISP make it impossible to play at any point. By the time I get my new internet service next Saturday, I hope this game isn't still a lagfest.

Nipo

Lag is getting really, really bad.

Like guy runs around and kills 5 people then dies from my shots 10 seconds earlier lag.

WTF is this crap. Why do developers even let people with 1000ms pings connect to game servers?

Can we track and banish them to their own hell, allowing us to play?

It seems worst over the past 2 or three nights. 24 player matches are lag fests with people skating all over the place. Classic seems to be ok.

This is my biggest complaint about warzone and the reason why me and many others mostly play TDM. I have a few ideas that if implemented I think would make the MP near perfect.

1. Give the spawn beacon ability to the assault class. I can't stand to see half my team made up of support class and not one setting down spawn beacons. Support has too many abilities that are crucial for the teams success but everyone just uses turrents or air drones, a lot of the time they won't even bother to revive you. I understand not having the spawn beacon as a primary ability because otherwise it would be kind of a mess with beacons all over the map. I would like them to switch out assualts shield ability with the sprint ability that way you would be able to quickly sprint near the objective to set down a spawn beacon. Give support the stun ability since they can't melee with some weapons.

2. Spawn beacon point system. This would work by providing more points per spawn the closer the beacon is to the objective. Of course if you place it right on the objective it will likely get destroyed much quicker, this will force players to place spawns in a secure area that is close to the objective. I hate having to use spawns that are no where near the objective and even worse are the idiots who place spawns in the base just to get points.

3. Bring back Killzone 2 green zones. If you played KZ2 then I think you know what I'm talking about. Green zones are the green highlighted area around the objective on the map in which if you get a kill within that area you would receive extra points, I called them killzones (makes sense right?). I feel that a lot of people playing are new to the series and just don't know what's going on half the time. This will better indicate players where they need to be and also reward them for playing the objective. It is also the reason why I think that objectives in KZ2 felt like real battles. On TDM there is always high traffic areas on every map that can quickly become clusterfucks, by randomly higlighting areas on the map throughout the match would help spread out players and maybe alleviate some of the base raping.

What do you guys think? What are some changes you would like to see?

leng jai

I honestly think they should just give the assault class the spawn beacon. It makes sense anyway since most of the time that's the class that's going to be in the front lines. It's a simple fix and would go a long way to fixing the situation. It was a poor decision to give one class turrets, air drones, supply box and spawn beacon.

This is my biggest complaint about warzone and the reason why me and many others mostly play TDM. I have a few ideas that if implemented I think would make the MP near perfect.

1. Give the spawn beacon ability to the assault class. I can't stand to see half my team made up of support class and not one setting down spawn beacons. Support has too many abilities that are crucial for the teams success but everyone just uses turrents or air drones, a lot of the time they won't even bother to revive you. I understand not having the spawn beacon as a primary ability because otherwise it would be kind of a mess with beacons all over the map. I would like them to switch out assualts shield ability with the sprint ability that way you would be able to quickly sprint near the objective to set down a spawn beacon. Give support the stun ability since they can't melee with some weapons.

2. Spawn beacon point system. This would work by providing more points per spawn the closer the beacon is to the objective. Of course if you place it right on the objective it will likely get destroyed much quicker, this will force players to place spawns in a secure area that is close to the objective. I hate having to use spawns that are no where near the objective and even worse are the idiots who place spawns in the base just to get points.

3. Bring back Killzone 2 green zones. If you played KZ2 then I think you know what I'm talking about. Green zones are the green highlighted area around the objective on the map in which if you get a kill within that area you would receive extra points, I called them killzones (makes sense right?). I feel that a lot of people playing are new to the series and just don't know what's going on half the time. This will better indicate players where they need to be and also reward them for playing the objective. It is also the reason why I think that objectives in KZ2 felt like real battles. On TDM there is always high traffic areas on every map that can quickly become clusterfucks, by randomly higlighting areas on the map throughout the match would help spread out players and maybe alleviate some of the base raping.

What do you guys think? What are some changes you would like to see?

I really guess it's a per match thing, because I haven't really noticed all the things you've mentioned too much anymore :/

Most support players, at least tonight, where Reviving and dropping support beacons pretty regularly. I was on a winning team 3 matches in a row because the support class players were basically carrying everyone else. It was pretty fucking awesome

On a side note, i'm trading in my copy of BF4 tomorrow. I've decided that both Shadowfall and Mercenary are the competitive games I give a shit about.
I will most definitely be playing these for A LONG time <3

Seriously what's going on with the servers? Weapons like the breacher, pulver and sickle seem to be completely usless. Usually I have no problem running support because the Pulver and sickle are really good weapons. Now I keep falling back on assault because using the rumbler or keyzer seems to be the only way to get kills consistently.

Edit: So I bought the KZ trilogy collection today. KZ2 was surprisingly a lot better than I remember. Even though I had to fight like hell to not get spawn camped, I had fun. KZ3 on the other hand was terrible. Kept getting killed in one bullet, and campers galore.

TyrantII

Support wise I think everyone is still grinding out the weapons and abilities. Unfortunately, that means no many looking to switch it up when all they're looking to do is get kills to max out the bot abilities.

The unfortunate side effect of having long unlock paths.

It's a tough call though. Could make the spawns the overall ability for the class, but then you have no one running with revive.

Maybe move it to Scout, and move the echo to the option? Assaults shield needs to stay for that class, because it's integral to setting up defensive positions.

Grinchy

Banned
I really have no issues at all with the classes, but then I play in a party 95% of the time. If you're playing with people who aren't brain dead, the complaints about the spawning system really do go away. I know that that's not feasible for many people, though. I never really used to play FPS games with friends either.

I just wish they'd fix the horrible lag. At the very least, I'd just love to see them acknowledge that something is wrong. I'd hate to think that the game is going to perform like this from now on. It was so damn smooth at launch, which would have been the most acceptable time for it to run as shitty as it does right now.

I don't understand the braindead community. I just don't get it. How is it that I'm the only one placing spawns? I KNOW this has been repeated on this forum, but I want to just drive the point further.

Why is it that when I place a spawn point, practically every player spawns on that beacon? Are they all just that stubbornly waiting for someone else to do it? They clearly WANT and understand the advantage, but refuse to play the role themselves. It literally costs us rounds, and they know it.

So why don't they do it? Are they playing Support class, but simply using different abilities, for reasons like upgrading/trophies? Are they just into lone wolfing? Do they just want the unmatched lethality and ease of use that comes with playing Assault?

If people just hate the Support class in general, I can see why: the weapons really are a battle in themselves. That Pulver's muzzle is ridiculous, and makes shooting enemies a horridly confusing experience. I initially defended the Support's diminished anti-infantry role, and still stick by it. But I do imagine that people are so turned off with the weapons that they opt out of the class entirely.

Is it too much to request these changes:

-Reducing the muzzle flash, either through a patch, or introducing an attachment to do so?
-Giving the Support class the Breacher auto-shotgun?
-Giving the Support the Valk?
-Since the weapons are so gimmicky/experimental, who would like to see Support get the Boltgun/Flamethrower for DLC?

Maybe it's overkill, or would utterly change the balance of the lethality of the Support class (they should fundamentally be weaker to Assault), but I do find that the weapons may be a source of frustration that makes people ignore the class. And it's not the lethality/second tier rating to the Assault's weapons, but the muzzle that I feel turns people away: You can trust your ability to shoot, but the muzzle just is a gamble that you can't control in most situations.

Also, I know they buffed the LMG, but I wish it was as badass as the one in KZ2, and even KZ3. The LMG in Shadow Fall doesn't compare to that

Does anyone else ever get stuck in doorways and stairwells? Seems like they're big enough for 1.5 people, so people think they can squeeze through, but it often just ends in having to go round or wait.

I don't understand the braindead community. I just don't get it. How is it that I'm the only one placing spawns? I KNOW this has been repeated on this forum, but I want to just drive the point further.

Why is it that when I place a spawn point, practically every player spawns on that beacon? Are they all just that stubbornly waiting for someone else to do it? They clearly WANT and understand the advantage, but refuse to play the role themselves. It literally costs us rounds, and they know it.
Its a consistent source of frustration for me as well. I primarily play the Support class with Spawn Beacons. Weapon wise, I love the sickle and do just fine with it but it drives me batty to see no other folks in general games dropping spawn points while universally using the ones I drop. So much of the success/strategy in the game is based around positioning on the maps and holding ground, IMO and well that goes out of the window if I happen to die before the cool down on the beacon is up. It's great for my point total when everyone uses my beacons but it means dick when we constantly lose the match.:(

leng jai

I don't think people are afraid of the Support class since I saw turrets and drones everywhere. With the current lag situation the Pulver is seriously gimped with its recoil and poor fire rate.

So I decided to play one last game on Classic Warzone with some GAFers before calling it a night, and the connection was way better. Even managed to get a killstreak of 22! Previous was 18. :]

^ The fact that people universally spawn on beacons just makes me even more confused. The "new players don't understand the game" excuse is over and done with it. It literally just is a poor mentality, selfishness, or obsession with upgrading/trophies. It has to be it. Because for people to not want to do something to win the game is astonishing. I mean, they understand that they are getting pushed back to their spawn, but they don't do shit about it, but will use the beacons when already in place by the poor sucker who actually cares. Like sharks, they will gladly spawn on the one beacon placed, but don't give a shit to be the one to do it. Drives me crazy to think people would rather spawn all the way at the base, die, and repeat rather than DO something about it.

I really think that the Pulver is the only standard weapon of choice for the Support, and that the muzzle flash is what turns people away from the class. The rest of the weapons are too situational, and the Pulver too is too frustrating in comparison to the butter-smooth Assault weapons.

The sad thing is, I literally can't see how GG can promote spawning anymore. They did everything right, but the community is just bad more often than they should be.

Maybe they can give Support better weapons, but that's no guarantee at all, and only sounds like it would make the Support balance a mess (insane reviving + good lethal ability).

I'm going to try just telling teammates in pub games to put down beacons over mic. Sometimes that's literally all that teammates need.

^ The fact that people universally spawn on beacons just makes me even more confused. The "new players don't understand the game" excuse is over and done with it. It literally just is a poor mentality, selfishness, or obsession with upgrading/trophies. It has to be it. Because for people to not want to do something to win the game is astonishing. I mean, they understand that they are getting pushed back to their spawn, but they don't do shit about it, but will use the beacons when already in place by the poor sucker who actually cares. Like sharks, they will gladly spawn on the one beacon placed, but don't give a shit to be the one to do it. Drives me crazy to think people would rather spawn all the way at the base, die, and repeat rather than DO something about it.

I really think that the Pulver is the only standard weapon of choice for the Support, and that the muzzle flash is what turns people away from the class. The rest of the weapons are too situational, and the Pulver too is too frustrating in comparison to the butter-smooth Assault weapons.

The sad thing is, I literally can't see how GG can promote spawning anymore. They did everything right, but the community is just bad more often than they should be.

Maybe they can give Support better weapons, but that's no guarantee at all, and only sounds like it would make the Support balance a mess (insane reviving + good lethal ability).

I'm going to try just telling teammates in pub games to put down beacons over mic. Sometimes that's literally all that teammates need.
Yup. Every time I plant a spawn beacon everyone spawns on it. They know what's going on, and they simply don't want to be the one that runs spawn beacon support.

So why don't they do it? Are they playing Support class, but simply using different abilities, for reasons like upgrading/trophies? Are they just into lone wolfing? Do they just want the unmatched lethality and ease of use that comes with playing Assault?

If people just hate the Support class in general, I can see why: the weapons really are a battle in themselves. That Pulver's muzzle is ridiculous, and makes shooting enemies a horridly confusing experience. I initially defended the Support's diminished anti-infantry role, and still stick by it. But I do imagine that people are so turned off with the weapons that they opt out of the class entirely.

Is it too much to request these changes:

-Reducing the muzzle flash, either through a patch, or introducing an attachment to do so?
-Giving the Support class the Breacher auto-shotgun?
-Giving the Support the Valk?
-Since the weapons are so gimmicky/experimental, who would like to see Support get the Boltgun/Flamethrower for DLC?

Maybe it's overkill, or would utterly change the balance of the lethality of the Support class (they should fundamentally be weaker to Assault), but I do find that the weapons may be a source of frustration that makes people ignore the class. And it's not the lethality/second tier rating to the Assault's weapons, but the muzzle that I feel turns people away: You can trust your ability to shoot, but the muzzle just is a gamble that you can't control in most situations.

Also, I know they buffed the LMG, but I wish it was as badass as the one in KZ2, and even KZ3. The LMG in Shadow Fall doesn't compare to that

So much truth in this post, it's crazy

The MP trophies are greatly to blame imho.
As I am a completionist I am often forced to play selfishly i.e. non support in order to advance my other skills, I know it's a dick move but I cannot help it... :-/
Mind you I always go for objectives no matter what!

The MP trophies are greatly to blame imho.
As I am a completionist I am often forced to play selfishly i.e. non support in order to advance my other skills, I know it's a dick move but I cannot help it... :-/
Mind you I always go for objectives no matter what!

I really hated the KZ2 multiplayer trophy. The only one I couldn't get because top 10% or whatever was just too much.

One thing they can do is that make it so that the spawn beacon that you placed doesn't have to be gone before you place another one. Obviously the new would replace the old. I'm saying this as I maxed out spawn and it says something like roughly 20 secs cool down? But th spawn beacon actually lasts a minute and a half. Make it so that I can place a different one if I wish every 20 seconds. Plus as I said before they could up points to be gained and use that idea someone else has said about increasing points as the distance to objective decreases. Perhaps even gimp the bit abilities by decreasing points per kill

wizzbang

Banned
It's interesting this thread seems to be bumped more than any COD Ghosts or BF4 MP threads. I wonder if that's indicative of the game quality or just the members here?

I played a bit of KZSF online, reminded me of KZ2 a little bit which is a good thing but time is my enemy and online isn't for me - regardless, seemed solid.

meppi

I really hated the KZ2 multiplayer trophy. The only one I couldn't get because top 10% or whatever was just too much.

It was actually top 1%.
Got it during a competition weekend. :)
I think I played for 26 hours or so in just under 3 days. lol

Had a lol worthy moment last night with GAF.
Someone dropped dead just in front of me as I was cooking a grenade.
I throw the grenade while he is flat on the ground and for whatever reason it bounces off of him like he's standing upright and bounces back in my face, killing me...
Tried to upload the clip, but the capture never seems to work right when something like this happens. Hope they fix it soon.

Rubenov

I honestly think they should just give the assault class the spawn beacon. It makes sense anyway since most of the time that's the class that's going to be in the front lines. It's a simple fix and would go a long way to fixing the situation. It was a poor decision to give one class turrets, air drones, supply box and spawn beacon.

I kinda disagree with this. Supports just need to pull their heads out of their asses and plant more spawn beacons.

The teams that play smartly and use the beacons usually win. So that aspect works. People just need to want to win.

Couldn't scout work well with spawns no? I mean that class is designed to go lone wolfing and get behind enemy lines. Plus this class means that scout has something worthwhile and actually useful to others

Rubenov

Couldn't scout work well with spawns no? I mean that class is designed to go lone wolfing and get behind enemy lines. Plus this class means that scout has something worthwhile and actually useful to others

I agree with this. While it wouldn't make much sense for Assault to have spawn beacons, it would with Scouts.

VariantX

Giving scout spawn beacons would effectively kill the problem of spawn trapping too, since they're the only class that can get out of the base in that situation consistently.

Rubenov

Giving scout spawn beacons would effectively kill the problem of spawn trapping too, since they're the only class that can get out of the base in that situation consistently.

Perfect. Gentlemen, we've found a solution. Someone email GG this shit.

Nipo

I kinda disagree with this. Supports just need to pull their heads out of their asses and plant more spawn beacons.

The teams that play smartly and use the beacons usually win. So that aspect works. People just need to want to win.

I agree. I think the problem is people are playing is random groups and those playing support have little connection with the group and don't see much personal benefit. Spawn beacons really help the team but offer almost not offensive ability to you unlike air/turrets which are more fun. Add in the insane amount of air drone kills you need for the trophy and how easy it i to max out the spawn beacon and it is clear why not many people use it.

How I'd fix spawn beacon:

1. Instead of 200 people spawning on your spawn beacon to reach ability level 11 make it 2000. Add a 0 after every level so it takes longer to unlock since right now you can go from level 1 to 11 in about 2 hours of playing.

2. Give the player a notification when the spawn beacon is about to expire in 60 seconds (put it in the same place/font as when you are the beacon carrier and need to return to the game zone). Often times I"ll drop a spawn, die, then use a turret and not know when my beacon expired until it is too late. If i had a 60 second warning I could do something foolish switch back to spawn and redeploy.

3. Make it so the beacon has a small explosion when the enemy team melees it. Right now there is no reason to actually disarm it when you can run by and melee. The extra 3-4 seconds it takes to disarm could make the difference in keeping it up and it still lets people suicide to take it would really quick if they need to (assault could also use stun blast ability).

4. If they want an even bigger change combine the supply box/spawn beacon ability so when you deploy a spawn beacon a supply box is also right next to it. No one use supply box anyway and maybe having it marked on the map and where people spawn would let people find them easier.

I don't think you need to play with support's guns as they are good enough but the beacon ability needs to entice more people to use it in random games.

The bigger problem will be making the beacon used in random games and still balanced in competitive ones.

test_account

XP-39C²
There is actually a small explosion if you melee a spawn beacon. I've killed myself a few times doing it when my health was really low. But it could maybe be an idea to have it so that an undamaged spawn beacon requires two or three hits with melee to be destroyed, i agree.

I think people are a little blind to the faults of KZ2 when they say this. Remember the boosting rocket firing assaults with 50% more health? Remember the server browser missing a lot of information, like saying custom weapons but having no way to actually see which weapons were disabled? Or that it's set for each mission to last 30 minutes but you can't find out until you're in the match. And only being able to disable a whole class' badges instead of just the primary or secondary one. The spawn grenades that couldn't be destroyed throwing you into a firefight facing the wrong way? That the basecamp turrets were destructible- killing you with the explosion in your spawn and allowing the enemy team to even move in and throw a spawn grenade in there. And the turrets being able to get headshots was infuriating.

Having some information about a server is better than no information (KZ3). And let's be honest here, if something says custom weapons or custom badges, it means you won't be dealing with boosting rocket spamming assaulters. And a lot of times the name of the server gives information ("No RPG", "30min", "long").

The thing about spawn grenades is that they should be risk/reward. If a tactician places a bad one, then the other team has every right to punish it.

Anyone having lag in this game? Not only do I feel like I'm lagging when I play, but I see others skating and teleporting quite a bit.

I agree. I think the problem is people are playing is random groups and those playing support have little connection with the group and don't see much personal benefit. Spawn beacons really help the team but offer almost not offensive ability to you unlike air/turrets which are more fun. Add in the insane amount of air drone kills you need for the trophy and how easy it i to max out the spawn beacon and it is clear why not many people use it.

How I'd fix spawn beacon:

1. Instead of 200 people spawning on your spawn beacon to reach ability level 11 make it 2000. Add a 0 after every level so it takes longer to unlock since right now you can go from level 1 to 11 in about 2 hours of playing.

2. Give the player a notification when the spawn beacon is about to expire in 60 seconds (put it in the same place/font as when you are the beacon carrier and need to return to the game zone). Often times I"ll drop a spawn, die, then use a turret and not know when my beacon expired until it is too late. If i had a 60 second warning I could do something foolish switch back to spawn and redeploy.

3. Make it so the beacon has a small explosion when the enemy team melees it. Right now there is no reason to actually disarm it when you can run by and melee. The extra 3-4 seconds it takes to disarm could make the difference in keeping it up and it still lets people suicide to take it would really quick if they need to (assault could also use stun blast ability).

4. If they want an even bigger change combine the supply box/spawn beacon ability so when you deploy a spawn beacon a supply box is also right next to it. No one use supply box anyway and maybe having it marked on the map and where people spawn would let people find them easier.

I don't think you need to play with support's guns as they are good enough but the beacon ability needs to entice more people to use it in random games.

The bigger problem will be making the beacon used in random games and still balanced in competitive ones.

1. Lol wut? That's a bit much. Maybe double the numbers needed. Or triple. Or even add more challenges now

2. This I like. Maybe even one 10 seconds before as well

3. It does already blow up but someone else said making it two/three hits instead of 1? That should do.

4. Yup, this makes a lotta sense too. It should hopefully keep people going back to the box and therefore protecting the beacon.

Top Bottom